[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Coach K  (Read 16663 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Fire Coach K
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 11:51:48 PM »
Still can't believe a #7 seed got a home game over a #2 seed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 12:10:15 AM »
Still can't believe a #7 seed got a home game over a #2 seed.

Yep. I'm still trying to figure out if Frank Martin has naked photos of Mark Hollis.

Of course, the games would have been in Greensboro - basically a home game for the Dookies - had NC legislators not made discrimination mandatory a year ago this month.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 02:50:47 AM »
Don't know how to quote from old thread into new thread, but you can't deny Coach K underperforms in the tourney, or at the very least they have been systematically over-seeded. I'd take the *Duke* program in a heartbeat, but K doesn't have a great NCAA track record of success.

Quote from: tower912 on January 27, 2016, 05:08:33 AM
Do you know anything about basketball?

Do you know anything about being an unbiased observer?  Listen - Coach K is a phenomenal coach and anyone anywhere would be thrilled with Duke's success.  That doesn't mean they still haven't under-performed RELATIVE TO EXPECTATIONS.  Just look at a very simple seed-based analysis - over the last 15 17 years they've overachieved relative to seed thrice (the three national championships), been on the seed expectation twicethrice, and under-performed 1011 times.  Again - The last 25 years of Duke basketball have been amazing in their consistency and success, but it's not a crazy argument to say they could/should have achieved more.

But then again I'm talking to the guy that will be happy if we make the NIT again by 2020.

2017 2 Second Round UNDER
2016 4 Sweet 16 ON
2015   1   -   National Championship    OVER
2014   3   26-9   First Round   UNDER
2013   2   30-6   Elite Eight   ON
2012   2   27-7   First Round   UNDER
2011   1   32-5   Sweet 16   UNDER
2010   1   35-5   National Championship   OVER
2009   2   30-7   Sweet 16   UNDER
2008   2   28-6   Second Round   UNDER
2007   6   22-11   First Round   UNDER
2006   1   31-4   Sweet 16   UNDER
2005   1   27-6   Sweet 16   UNDER
2004   1   31-6   Final Four   ON
2003   3   26-7   Sweet 16   UNDER
2002   1   31-4   Sweet 16   UNDER
2001   1   35-4   National Championship   OVER
2000   1   29-5   Sweet 16   UNDER
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 02:53:09 AM »
Don't know how to quote from old thread into new thread, but you can't deny Coach K underperforms in the tourney, or at the very least they have been systematically over-seeded. I'd take the *Duke* program in a heartbeat, but K doesn't have a great NCAA track record of success.

If course I'd be willing to put up with lots of underperformance if we averaged a National Championship every 6 years...  ::)
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:47 AM »

Hmmm.

Maybe it all just means that it's hard as heck to win a national title - or really to win multiple games in any NCAA tournament.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 06:23:04 AM »
And coach Izzo.    What kind of coach lets a close game get away from him in the last 10 minutes?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 06:39:26 AM »

How many coaches have an NCAA Tournament record that is better than their normal seeding suggests it should be?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 07:08:52 AM »
ESPN Stats & Info‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo  5h5 hours ago
South Carolina Offense vs. Duke
                1st Half     2nd Half
Points          23           65
FG              7-35         20-28

ESPN Stats & Info‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo  7h7 hours ago
The Big East has its 7th-place finisher in the Sweet 16 (Xavier)
The ACC had its tournament champion eliminated in Round of 32 (Duke)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »

How do you put images in teal?

Because you couldn't possibily be saying that making a point about how Duke's loss should put into perspective the possible unfairness of the criticism leveled at Marquette's head coach by some on this board isn't germane to Marquette basketball.  Right?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:37:42 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 07:22:17 AM »
Yep. I'm still trying to figure out if Frank Martin has naked photos of Mark Hollis.

Of course, the games would have been in Greensboro - basically a home game for the Dookies - had NC legislators not made discrimination mandatory a year ago this month.

My friends and I joked about this all week. The games were moved out of North Carolina to to the progressive bastion of South Carolina!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
My friends and I joked about this all week. The games were moved out of North Carolina to to the progressive bastion of South Carolina!

Hey, having basketball teams from the Carolinas playing their tournament games in the Carolinas is heritage, not hate.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 08:02:58 AM »

It is amazing.

When we moved to Charlotte in 2010, everything we heard was that it was epicenter of the progressive "New South." Within two years, it had gotten turned on its head. And now it's losing events, jobs and businesses to effen South Cackilacky.

Racist yokels raised a confederate flag high atop the parking garage overlooking the arena yesterday. Beautiful.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/protesters-fly-confederate-flag-next-to-ncaa-tournament-arena-in-greenville-190223294.html

Always fun in the South.....

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 08:39:45 AM »
Apparently understanding sarcasm is a dying art.

I guess wades shoulda put it in teal and surrounded the entire post with gold and silver stars.

I understand sarcasm very well and what he was saying.  Our defense has sucked ALL YEAR.  There is no debating that although the original post was trying to minimalize our shortcomings by saying hey look SC scored a bunch of points on Coach K.  Frankly, I don't care.  Our defense was atrocious and needs to be fixed next year so we shall see if Wojo has the ability to do that.

If anything, there were 2 things that went South Carolina's way this tournament. 
#1 They were a 7 seed and yet received home games in the first two rounds.
#2 They played us right before they played Duke in a very short turnaround.  Similar systems albeit with different players.  South Carolina didn't have to adjust nearly as much as other teams had to between games 1 and 2.  Kudos to them for advancing.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 09:40:13 AM »
I understand sarcasm very well and what he was saying.  Our defense has sucked ALL YEAR.  There is no debating that although the original post was trying to minimalize our shortcomings by saying hey look SC scored a bunch of points on Coach K.  Frankly, I don't care.  Our defense was atrocious and needs to be fixed next year so we shall see if Wojo has the ability to do that.

If anything, there were 2 things that went South Carolina's way this tournament. 
#1 They were a 7 seed and yet received home games in the first two rounds.
#2 They played us right before they played Duke in a very short turnaround.  Similar systems albeit with different players.  South Carolina didn't have to adjust nearly as much as other teams had to between games 1 and 2.  Kudos to them for advancing.

I said nothing about our defense this year, nor did I imply anything about it.  With 21 minutes left in the Duke South Carolina game we had posters here still crying about how we could possibly let such a horrendous offensive team score so many points on us, just look at the total domination of Duke's athletes.  Well, like is often the case at MUScoop, those posters spoke with a lot of game left.  Those superior Duke athletes gave up nearly the same amount of points as our slow footed, small jumping squad.

Essentially, respect the process.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

onepost

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 10:04:33 AM »
How many coaches have an NCAA Tournament record that is better than their normal seeding suggests it should be?

Given that his Winthrop and Wichita State teams have essentially never had high seeds, Gregg Marshall's now 11-13 record would be my call here.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 10:10:10 AM »
I said nothing about our defense this year, nor did I imply anything about it.  With 21 minutes left in the Duke South Carolina game we had posters here still crying about how we could possibly let such a horrendous offensive team score so many points on us, just look at the total domination of Duke's athletes.  Well, like is often the case at MUScoop, those posters spoke with a lot of game left.  Those superior Duke athletes gave up nearly the same amount of points as our slow footed, small jumping squad.

Essentially, respect the process.

Your post echoes my thoughts exactly.  I wasn't commenting on or disputing MU's defensive needs - I was commenting on the fact that MU and Duke had extremely similar results against a SC team that was playing in front of a home crowd, and getting hot at the right time.  In fact, the games were remarkably similar despite the undeniable fact that Duke's defense is generally much better than MU's. 

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 10:34:17 AM »

Why the idiotic liberal political commentary?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »
What a surprise coming from you
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »

Well, it least you didn't post something else stupid about Wojo.    I suppose this is better. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »

Facts aren't liberal.

The games would have been in Greensboro.

Had yesterday's game been in Greensboro, Duke, not S. Carolina, would have been the de facto home team.

NC legislators did enact a piece of legislation that by definition discriminates against a group of individuals.

#actualfacts

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »

I wouldn't call it political commentary and I certainly wouldn't call it idiotic. It's a statement of fact. North Carolina had the game. They passed a law that discriminates against trans people. In response, the NCAA took the game away from them.

The law discriminates against a specific group of people. That is a fact. It becomes political commentary when you start debating whether it is right or wrong to discriminate against trans people or if some greater good is served that is worth discriminating against trans people.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
It really doesn't matter where the game was suppose to be held.  The committee knew it was in South Carolina and put South Carolina there.  They could have been placed in another region. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 04:17:56 PM »
Facts aren't liberal.

The games would have been in Greensboro.

Had yesterday's game been in Greensboro, Duke, not S. Carolina, would have been the de facto home team.

NC legislators did enact a piece of legislation that by definition discriminates against a group of individuals.

#actualfacts
It's so much easier when you can make up whatever you want to believe, call them alternative facts, and then believe wholeheartedly that they are true.

Personally, I really enjoyed MU's wins over SC and Duke and look forward seeing them perform in the S16.
#alternativetournament
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 10:57:49 PM »
It's so much easier when you can make up whatever you want to believe, call them alternative facts, and then believe wholeheartedly that they are true.

Personally, I really enjoyed MU's wins over SC and Duke and look forward seeing them perform in the S16.
#alternativetournament

I can't wait to watch MU in the Alternative Sweet Sixteen (aka ASS)!

feedback