[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Prerankings Wayyy to Early  (Read 12159 times)

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
Re: Prerankings Wayyy to Early
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
How does the strength of conference look next year? Haven't really delved into who is graduating and coming in for other teams next year. How many Big East teams could crack the top 25 next year?

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 10:51:39 AM »
How does the strength of conference look next year? Haven't really delved into who is graduating and coming in for other teams next year. How many Big East teams could crack the top 25 next year?
Nova is losing key players, SH is returning everyone, X is losing some players and same with butler. I think MU could be ranked next year

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »

I think the conference will be improved on the whole. The teams at the front of the pack might come back a bit, but there are 8 legitimate NCAA contenders and 7 of them might flirt with the rankings at some point. Villanova, Creighton, Xavier, and Seton Hall, barring unexpected departures, could all start the season ranked.

My thoughts:

Villanova: Lose Hart, Jenkins, and Reynolds, but will have Spellman and Booth available. Bridges and Brunson are studs. Might come back to the pack a little, but solid supporting pieces and recruiting class will keep them around the top-10. Slightly worse

Butler: Lose Chrabascz, Savage, Lewis, and Woodson. Martin and Baldwin will be the leaders, and there will be high hopes for Joey Brunk (sat out this year) as well as maybe the best recruiting class in school history. Look like a bubble team, though I don't like underestimating Holtmann.. Worse

Creighton: Lose Watson, Huff, and Zierden. Patton is the question mark. If he stays, along with Foster, Harrell, Thomas, and Syracuse transfer Kaleb Joseph, they could be really good. As good as pre-Watson injury good. I think Patton is the difference between a top-15 team and a team in the 7-10 seed range come Selection Sunday. Same

Seton Hall: No one graduates, but Delgado is reportedly checking into his draft status. Like Creighton, he could be the difference between a ranked team and a bubble team. Also, watch the recruitment of local kid Trevon Duval. He probably picks a blue blood, but he's a top-5 recruit that could make the Hall dramatically better. Better

Providence: Everyone returns. They should be a very experienced team, though still no real star, and no star recruits either. I think they're a step up from last year, 7-10 seed range. Better

Xavier: Gaston and Bernard graduate, and we'll see what happens with Blueitt and Sumner. If they both return, Xavier could be awesome. Redshirt freshman Eddie Ekiyor will likely be expected to contribute immediately up front, and XU beat out the big boys for PG Paul Scruggs. Questions at the big man positions, but otherwise they have the look of a top-15 team. Better

St. John's: Sort of like us this year. They have some nice pieces and could make a run at a bid, but I doubt they're ready for the rankings just yet. Better

Georgetown: They lose Pryor and Hayes. Their top recruit wants out. Govan, Peak, and Derrickson are back, but not a lot after that. JTIII is on the hot seat. It'll be an interesting summer in DC. Worse

DePaul: Garrett and Harrison-Docks leave. McCallum and Cain are back and joined by incoming transfers Austin Grandstaff and D2 All-American Max Struss. Decent recruiting class. Personally, I think losing Garrett will be addition by subtraction, and with Georgetown's raging second alarm basement fire, they could climb out of the basement. Better
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »
Brew, has Georgetown released Waters yet? Seems to be taking awhile. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »
Sucks for Georgetown he's a stud

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
Nice write up brew, but Hall does lose Madison Jones, starting PG and best perimeter defender. Still going to be a better team but they do lose somebody
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »

I haven't seen anything official. Really makes me wonder what's going on there. I thought they'd have him wait in order to fire JTIII and have a replacement try to keep him in the fold, but JTIII is still there over a week later as we watch programs like LSU, Indiana, and Illinois all moving on.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
Nice write up brew, but Hall does lose Madison Jones, starting PG and best perimeter defender. Still going to be a better team but they do lose somebody
But they could also potentially get Trevon Duvall

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
I think the conference will be improved on the whole. The teams at the front of the pack might come back a bit, but there are 8 legitimate NCAA contenders and 7 of them might flirt with the rankings at some point. Villanova, Creighton, Xavier, and Seton Hall, barring unexpected departures, could all start the season ranked.

My thoughts:

Villanova: Lose Hart, Jenkins, and Reynolds, but will have Spellman and Booth available. Bridges and Brunson are studs. Might come back to the pack a little, but solid supporting pieces and recruiting class will keep them around the top-10. Slightly worse

Butler: Lose Chrabascz, Savage, Lewis, and Woodson. Martin and Baldwin will be the leaders, and there will be high hopes for Joey Brunk (sat out this year) as well as maybe the best recruiting class in school history. Look like a bubble team, though I don't like underestimating Holtmann.. Worse

Creighton: Lose Watson, Huff, and Zierden. Patton is the question mark. If he stays, along with Foster, Harrell, Thomas, and Syracuse transfer Kaleb Joseph, they could be really good. As good as pre-Watson injury good. I think Patton is the difference between a top-15 team and a team in the 7-10 seed range come Selection Sunday. Same

Seton Hall: No one graduates, but Delgado is reportedly checking into his draft status. Like Creighton, he could be the difference between a ranked team and a bubble team. Also, watch the recruitment of local kid Trevon Duval. He probably picks a blue blood, but he's a top-5 recruit that could make the Hall dramatically better. Better

Providence: Everyone returns. They should be a very experienced team, though still no real star, and no star recruits either. I think they're a step up from last year, 7-10 seed range. Better

Xavier: Gaston and Bernard graduate, and we'll see what happens with Blueitt and Sumner. If they both return, Xavier could be awesome. Redshirt freshman Eddie Ekiyor will likely be expected to contribute immediately up front, and XU beat out the big boys for PG Paul Scruggs. Questions at the big man positions, but otherwise they have the look of a top-15 team. Better

St. John's: Sort of like us this year. They have some nice pieces and could make a run at a bid, but I doubt they're ready for the rankings just yet. Better

Georgetown: They lose Pryor and Hayes. Their top recruit wants out. Govan, Peak, and Derrickson are back, but not a lot after that. JTIII is on the hot seat. It'll be an interesting summer in DC. Worse

DePaul: Garrett and Harrison-Docks leave. McCallum and Cain are back and joined by incoming transfers Austin Grandstaff and D2 All-American Max Struss. Decent recruiting class. Personally, I think losing Garrett will be addition by subtraction, and with Georgetown's raging second alarm basement fire, they could climb out of the basement. Better

Excellent work, brew.

A lot will be told by the half-dozen or so players who might leave early for the pros: Sumner, Blueitt, Patton, Delgado ... maybe even Brunson? ... maybe even Govan?

We don't know what motivates some kids, nor do we know who is chirping in their ears.

For example, if I were Sumner, and if I were medically cleared and fairly certain I'd be a first-rounder, I wouldn't hesitate to leave. And nobody ever mentions Brunson, but why wouldn't he at least consider leaving?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »

Looks like Waters is already involved with Duke and Kansas. I have to imagine he's been given his release, even if it didn't get a wide announcement.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »
I can't imagine Delgado staying.  He was a double double machine this year and the whole world knew it.  Unless his personal situation is that he values a degree over the money (I find this very hard to believe) I don't know what would bring him back.  At this point he is just getting older.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
I can't imagine Delgado staying.  He was a double double machine this year and the whole world knew it.  Unless his personal situation is that he values a degree over the money (I find this very hard to believe) I don't know what would bring him back.  At this point he is just getting older.
All the mock drafts ive seen have him going undrafted. It's early but some people could get injured and he could get in

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 02:17:46 PM »
But they could also potentially get Trevon Duvall

They did get a visit, but I would surprised if they managed to land him with so many blue bloods swimming in those waters.
TAMU

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »
They did get a visit, but I would surprised if they managed to land him with so many blue bloods swimming in those waters.
Yeah, thats what i was thinking. But he is also from NJ that's why i said he might stay close to home

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 02:21:01 PM »
And nobody ever mentions Brunson, but why wouldn't he at least consider leaving?

This one has me perplexed too. He's a star point guard on one of the top 4 teams in the nation. Scores at will, shoots the three, runs the offense well, is a hell hound of a defender, short but not too short for a PG. What's holding him back? No one seems to think him leaving is a possibility.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »
This one has me perplexed too. He's a star point guard on one of the top 4 teams in the nation. Scores at will, shoots the three, runs the offense well, is a hell hound of a defender, short but not too short for a PG. What's holding him back? No one seems to think him leaving is a possibility.

Will be evaluating his chances with his dad this off-season. The feeling is that this is a strong PG class and he may be better off waiting a year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 10:29:31 PM »
Lots of dominoes to fall.  Last year at this time many expected the BE to be better this year than it was last year.  That wasn't the case.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:01 PM »
Lots of dominoes to fall.  Last year at this time many expected the BE to be better this year than it was last year.  That wasn't the case.

Uhh...I definitely think it was. Almost across the board. Creighton and Xavier suffered after losing their point guards, but Villanova, Butler, Creighton, Marquette, and St John's were all better while Xavier and Seton Hall were about the same despite personnel losses. Even Providence was better than expected.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »

It most definitely was the case. Not even close.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 10:56:33 PM »
Uhh...I definitely think it was. Almost across the board. Creighton and Xavier suffered after losing their point guards, but Villanova, Butler, Creighton, Marquette, and St John's were all better while Xavier and Seton Hall were about the same despite personnel losses. Even Providence was better than expected.

Sorry, but injuries are part of dominoes that fall.  Last year the conference had the National Champion.  This year the conference will be done by the E8.

Nova, SH, Providence, Xavier, Georgetown all worse.  Butler and DePaul basically the same.  Marquette and St. John's slightly better.  Creighton better really only better before Watson went down.  After that I believe they were under .500.  The league was unquestionably better last year.  This year 1 legit Final Four contender, 1 strong but not great team, 2 bad teams, and a bunch of mediocrity.  Last year 2 legit FF teams and 2 strong but not great teams.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 11:00:28 PM »

My thoughts:

The Johnnies will have MSU transfer Marvin Clark eligible next year . Is a very good addition for them. I think they are upper half of the league.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 11:06:12 PM »
Put it this way:

• 2016 Nova >> 2017 Nova
  • 2016 Xavier >> 2017 Butler
  • 2016 Seton Hall >> 2017 Providence
  • 2016 Butler >> 2017 Marquette
  • 2016 Providence > 2017 Seton Hall
  • 2017 Creighton > 2016 Creighton
  • 2017 Xavier >> 2016 Marquette
  • 2016 Georgetown = 2017 St. John's
  • 2017 Georgetown > 2016 DePaul
  • 2016 St. John's = 2017 DePaul

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:43 PM »

Sorry, but injuries are part of dominoes that fall.  Last year the conference had the National Champion.  This year the conference will be done by the E8.

Tournament performance is an important measure of conference strength over the long haul (multiple seasons), but it's a weak measure in any given season.  If it was an accurate short-term measure, the Horizon and Colonial would have been two of the best four conferences in 2011, since Butler and VCU both made the Final Four.

IMHO, the BE was stronger top to bottom this season...and the seven bids seem to indicate that others agree.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
Put it this way:

• 2016 Nova << 2017 Nova
  • 2016 Xavier = 2017 Butler
  • 2016 Butler >> 2017 Providence
  • 2016 Butler >> 2017 Marquette
  • 2016 Providence > 2017 Seton Hall
  • 2017 Creighton > 2016 Creighton
  • 2017 Xavier >> 2016 Marquette
  • 2016 Georgetown = 2017 St. John's
  • 2017 Georgetown > 2016 DePaul
  • 2016 St. John's = 2017 DePaul

Let me help you with that:

2016 Nova = 2017 Nova
2016 X >> 2017 Butler
2016 Seton Hall << 2017 Creighton
2016 Butler << 2017 Xavier
2016 Creighton << 2017 Marquette
2016 Providence >> 2017 Seton Hall
2016 Georgetown << 2017 Providence
2016 Marquette << 2017 Georgetown
2016 Depaul << 2017 St. John's
2016 St. John's << 2017 Depaul

Conference records are useless for determining the proper order. I used KenPom.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 12:12:20 AM »
Let me help you with that:

2016 Nova = 2017 Nova
2016 X >> 2017 Butler
2016 Seton Hall << 2017 Creighton
2016 Butler << 2017 Xavier
2016 Creighton << 2017 Marquette
2016 Providence >> 2017 Seton Hall
2016 Georgetown << 2017 Providence
2016 Marquette << 2017 Georgetown
2016 Depaul << 2017 St. John's
2016 St. John's << 2017 Depaul

Conference records are useless for determining the proper order. I used KenPom.

This year's Nova team is nowhere close to last year's. Ochefu was maybe the most undervalued player in the entire BE last year, they had no inside presence whatsoever this year, and they had absolutely no depth.

There is no chance in hell that a Mo Watson-less Creighton team is better than what Seton Hall was last year. They had a great RPI because of some great wins prior to Watson being injured. The team that they ended up being was a pretty mediocre team, and that's being generous.

I matched teams up with their conference standings. Not sure why 7th place 2017 would be compared to 4th place 2016 Butler or why 2017 4th place MU would be matched up with 2016 6th place Creighton, etc. or how you could possibly think that this Xavier team is better than last year's Butler team, but to each their own I guess.

The proof is in the pudding. The BE had a nice non conference and then was killed by injuries. Nova was a legitimate top team, Butler an inconsistent team who could beat some great teams while taking some awful losses, and everyone else was very "meh...not bad, but not great."