Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Haanif... Your Table is Ready.  (Read 16794 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Haanif... Your Table is Ready.
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »

He's an end of the bench option. Until he develops a jump shot, he shouldn't see the court except when there's extreme foul trouble.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
I like the attitude of the instagram post,  but I think there's just too much competition for him to get significant minutes next year.

On one hand, it could help make everyone, including Chatham, better, or it could keep him in this mental funk. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but we'll need to see a big change next year for him to get meaningful minutes.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
I think there's just too much competition for him to get significant minutes next year.

Completely disagree.  We lose 2 guys that play his natural position "big guard".   The only new guy at that position is Sacar.  Cain is more a 3-4 competing with Sam.  And on top of all that the team needs experience and leadership.  I believe the ability of Haanif to return to his prior form is more important than anyone coming in next year.  It will determine how good this team is

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »
Haani will be fine. He just needs to become more of a distributor . If he does that he will get more space to drive and shoot. Haani became way too predictable, as he just took it to the hoop every time he got the ball, with zero intention to pass. Teams collapsed on him and the shots became much tougher to make. He is a hard worker on defense so he will have an important role next season. Glad he is part of the program.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
Cheatham needs to come back 'cause nobody else can defend on this team. Hope the newbies help. From what I saw on rivals, the new class is average at best

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2017, 04:27:01 PM »
Cheatham needs to come back 'cause nobody else can defend on this team. Hope the newbies help. From what I saw on rivals, the new class is average at best

If the new class is only average at best, Wojo will be out of here before that class graduates. But I don't believe the rivals ratings.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »
His freshman year says otherwise

FWIW...

Soph vs. Frosh year: Improved ORtg (106.7 vs. 101.1); OR% and DR% improved from 1.6 & 10.8 to 3.4 & 14.5; turnover rate reduced from 24.4 to 18.5.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »
FWIW...

Soph vs. Frosh year: Improved ORtg (106.7 vs. 101.1); OR% and DR% improved from 1.6 & 10.8 to 3.4 & 14.5; turnover rate reduced from 24.4 to 18.5.
Whatever the numbers, even Haani himself notes in an Instagram today that he had a sophomore slump.  Last night he had a line of goose eggs in 7 minutes of action.  The numbers are skewed by pre-conference play.  Hopefully, he will right his ship this upcoming season.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »
Just needs to regain confidence

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »
Whatever the numbers, even Haani himself notes in an Instagram today that he had a sophomore slump.  Last night he had a line of goose eggs in 7 minutes of action.  The numbers are skewed by pre-conference play.  Hopefully, he will right his ship this upcoming season.

My point is more that he wasn't all that great as a freshman... I think fans got ahead of themselves a bit.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »
Y'all really give a chit? Step up or sit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, what do you think he was up to for the last 9 months?

His issues are not effort related. The kid works hard. How effort seems to be there. His ability, or maybe his mental state, seem to be the problem, unfortunately.

Couldn't agree more. What did he work on this past offseason? What did he work on since his collapse in December?

HC seems like a wonderful young man. I grinned all last season thinking about his four years in the program. No reason to think he's not working hard.

He may be relegated to a minimum minute role player. If JJJ or Katin were playing the 2/3 ahead of him, HC is not comparable to either as a slasher or outside shooter.

He needs a great deal of improvement to be better than the 11th or 12th guy next season. Hope I'm wrong.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2017, 05:31:22 PM »
Wojo referred to what he inherited when he came to MU as 'rebooting' the program.    HC needs a mental reboot.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2017, 08:48:54 PM »
FWIW...

Shows you can do anything you want with stats. By the end of the year he was Sandy Cohen III in a smaller body.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
Hey, I just thought of a great idea.  Why don't we delete this stupid thread of mostly 20, 30 40 and 50 something adults critiquing (rather harshly) a 19 year-old kid publicly.  I understand devoting maybe a line of criticism in a post to a player, but to have a thread of over 60 posts devoted to this is embarrassing.  If you are one of the people who posted in this dumpster fire of trash you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life.  if I was a recruit who visited this page to see how the Marquette community treated its' student-athletes I would think twice before committing here.  grow up.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »
Kips, your reading comprehension needs help.  I'd bet you haven't even read most of the posts.  A couple kitten-kickers here, but the majority support Haanif, and are hoping he has a great year next year.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »
I like the attitude of the instagram post,  but I think there's just too much competition for him to get significant minutes next year.

On one hand, it could help make everyone, including Chatham, better, or it could keep him in this mental funk. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but we'll need to see a big change next year for him to get meaningful minutes.
FWIW I got married in Chatham and, if you've ever been there you know, it can't get much better.

But enough about Cape Cod, Haanif seems like a quality young man who is driven to push his talents as far as he can.  I hope his dedication pays off for him and MU.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2017, 10:10:08 PM »
Hey, I just thought of a great idea.  Why don't we delete this stupid thread of mostly 20, 30 40 and 50 something adults critiquing (rather harshly) a 19 year-old kid publicly.  I understand devoting maybe a line of criticism in a post to a player, but to have a thread of over 60 posts devoted to this is embarrassing.  If you are one of the people who posted in this dumpster fire of trash you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life.  if I was a recruit who visited this page to see how the Marquette community treated its' student-athletes I would think twice before committing here.  grow up.
95% of what everyone is saying is good..no one is really saying anything bad

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »
My point is more that he wasn't all that great as a freshman... I think fans got ahead of themselves a bit.
Not what you posted.  You said his numbers were better.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
I think he's got a good future ahead of him.  This is a test for MU player development but they must all see it and be working on it.  IMHO he needs to be our 3rd PG, but used more as a "big" distributor so Howard and Rowsey can play off the ball part of the time.  I see him 10mpg at the point, and another 8-10 at the 3.
Assuming of course he develops his right and a couple more offensive threats.
His D is excellent.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »
I think he's got a good future ahead of him.  This is a test for MU player development but they must all see it and be working on it.  IMHO he needs to be our 3rd PG, but used more as a "big" distributor so Howard and Rowsey can play off the ball part of the time.  I see him 10mpg at the point, and another 8-10 at the 3.
Assuming of course he develops his right and a couple more offensive threats.
His D is excellent.
More importantly, does he have a good neck?

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »
95% of what everyone is saying is good..no one is really saying anything bad

Re-read the first page of posts.  95% of that is not good.  I stand by my original post.  Three pages of speculation on one player in particular, including whether he is "good enough" or is thinking of "transferring" is not supportive.  Nor is a bunch of adults telling him he needs to put in "hard work", the implication being that he wasn't working hard to start with.

The first line of the first post is "time to step up, kid."  If someone said that to your son (if you have one) in your presence you'd knock his lights out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
Not what you posted.  You said his numbers were better.

They are better. But it was because many overvalued his stats last year
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »
They are better. But it was because many overvalued his stats last year
that was my point.