[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Haanif... Your Table is Ready.  (Read 16939 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Haanif... Your Table is Ready.
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 12:45:22 AM »
I like the kid, but I think he's an afterthought next year. His defense is good enough, but it's easily replaceable. His floor presence is simply not a positive right now.

I don't think he's a starter next year. I don't even know that I see him as the first option off the bench. I hope he can be the 15-16 version of himself, but I just don't see that happening.
I have to agree and it sucks because I thought his ceiling was ridiculously high after last year.

IMO he has too many gaps in his game right now and he's looking like a role player...which is fine...having veteran role players is a great asset and I hope he sticks around.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 03:20:21 AM »
Needs to realize that he is Trent Lockett, not Jerel McNeal. Embrace the role and he will flourish IMHO.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 07:02:37 AM »

It was mentioned above and it may be heart of his problem. Haanif never, ever uses his right hand. Even when driving to the basket from the right he would dribble and shoot with his left hand.

I would guess the scouting report was out on him so when he drove to the hoop he was overplayed to his left. Therefore, Haanif was blocked from going to the basket and often had his passing angles (all from his left) cut off.

Since he has no pull up jumper he had no way to counter the defensive over playing his left hand.

Thought the course of the season his confidence eroded. Things just got worse.

Again, it has already been stated above, he needs to use his right hand and develop a pull up jumper. In short, he has a lot of work to do this summer.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
I do not think HC's table is set......I think the kids table maybe more his style.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 11:31:43 AM »
Haani will be back.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 11:55:42 AM »
Probably the biggest frustration this season; many thought he was going to take his place as a star, yet he fell to the very bottom of the rotation.  Going to take a heck of a job from the coaches and even more from Haanif to repair his game and make him stronger.  Maybe Drake can stop by and give him swag again. 

Class71

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
I understand that. Perhaps he simply is not good enough?

He is good enough. Just needs a few adjustments, use both hands better, take 100 shots a day and get into the weight room. All can be accomplished this summer.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »
HE leaving is what happened.

Exactly right. HE sucked up all the double teams and defensive focus. No one was keying on Cheatham, which lessened the blow that his only moves were pulling up at the arc or driving to his left.

He didn't get worse, he just didn't get better enough.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TrevorCandelino

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »
You guys are nuts.
Hanni is plenty talented. 
Has 2-3 things he needs to focus on this off season to address the fact that he has now been well scouted. 
Do those things - and with his work ethic, he will - and Hanni will be a very important piece of the team next year.
Fans have become so short term focused in this day and age.
In a stable program, players are supposed to grow and progress and improve over four years.  Hanni will. 
Looking forward to it. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »
I believe in Haanif.  If he does the work, I think he is a linchpin next year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
He is willing to do the work, I think everyone knows that. But if Wojo gets Elliot or a transfer 2G, Haanif will likely stay near the bottom of the rotation. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
I'd really like to see a "back to the basket" type game, like Alando Tucker.

A lot of his trouble came with indecision while driving. Got caught in the air a lot.

If he can run the baseline in our offense, and post up guys the way Tucker did, he could find a nice role offensively.

But first and foremost, he needs to be the heart of our defense. Every game, he should be defending guys like Thornwell, and locking them down.

I think he'll have a nice bounce back next season.

I agree.  The way I think about it, he needs to expand what he can do.   He came to MU as a freshman able to do some nice things.  He hurt some teams and they spent time figuring out how to stop his bread and butter stuff.  Expanding his game, giving himself more options will make him dangerous again.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »
He is willing to do the work, I think everyone knows that. But if Wojo gets Elliot or a transfer 2G, Haanif will likely stay near the bottom of the rotation.

Isn't Wojo on record wanting Elliot or whoever gets that scholarship to be a perimiter redshirt candidate?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »
He's gotta tie his left arm behind his back and do everything righty all summer.  Everything.  The fact that that wasn't addressed/stressed at all between his frosh and sophomore seasons is a huge indictment on him/Wojo.

IMO, all of his problems stem from his inability to use his right hand at all, coupled with his unchanging tendencies that teams picked up on immediately.
Not that he doesn't have more to work on but simply keeping teams honest with his right will do him wonders next season, it's really that simple.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:52:57 PM by onepostwarrior »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2017, 01:34:34 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
Go get some, young man.  Stay positive.  Work hard.  Love it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRygouThrG8/

Love it. Go get it, HC! Prove all the haters wrong. I know you can do it!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
Wonder if Transferring is on his mind.
That is what I believe will happen. Wojo dropping him from the starting line up is what makes me think this. It is also why I believe Duane Wilson is returning.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »

That is awesome to see. Very self aware young man. Hope to see him succeed next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »
That is what I believe will happen. Wojo dropping him from the starting line up is what makes me think this. It is also why I believe Duane Wilson is returning.

Me thinks your wrong. HC does too.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2017, 01:53:19 PM »
I hope I am wrong. He also may end up being a mid-season transfer like Carter and Cohen. I think Hauser starts at three and who knows how good Cain is. You also have Wilson recently starting over him and Anim. There is plenty of competition at the three. He started the first 50 (?) games of his career and I just do not see him staying if he is not going to be a key player. He could have a great summer and work himself back into a key spot, but all the other players will also be working on to improve.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »
Would like to see Haanif stronger on the ball, quicker with his decision making. Overthinks. Has to shoot with confidence, especially if miss first shot or two. Has length and skill set to be better.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
I hope I am wrong. He also may end up being a mid-season transfer like Carter and Cohen. I think Hauser starts at three and who knows how good Cain is. You also have Wilson recently starting over him and Anim. There is plenty of competition at the three. He started the first 50 (?) games of his career and I just do not see him staying if he is not going to be a key player. He could have a great summer and work himself back into a key spot, but all the other players will also be working on to improve.

I recommend you reread that instagram post and stop pretending like you know what youre talking about.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

Love it.  They'll unlock Kasten for you tomorrow at 6a.  Bet Markus will be glad to join you and force you right about 1000 times in a row.

feedback