[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rebounding and defense.  (Read 7682 times)

tower912

• All American
Rebounding and defense.
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:57:09 PM »
1.  In the end, the Achilles heels of this team.
2.  Combined with a too many turnovers.
3.  And not enough athleticism.
4.  I had a feeling at the 3 minute mark of the first half that MU had fired all of its bullets.
5.  JJ, way to end with style.  Your best game of the year.
6.  Three point shooting goes cold.
7.  Felt a little like the Kansas game at the end.   No answer for the avalanche.
8.  The 6 guys returning now have focus for next year.
9.  Thanks for an entertaining season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Rebounding and defense.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »
Rebounding, defense AND turnovers  Brutal job of taking care of the ball
No Finish Line

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:58:41 PM »
Tough way to go out, but I think we're addressing a lot of our deficiencies with our recruits for next year. The future is bright

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:58:58 PM »
Yep. Exciting year. Progress made. Future is brighter than past.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 11:00:33 PM »
All of that, sure.

But also a home game for a 7 seed. Although the selection committee head harbored a child molester in his athletic department for years, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised by that incompetence.

TFlegend

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:02:02 PM »
I can't believe we gave up 93 points to a team whose weakness was offense.  That would be like us holding someone to 50 points.  Embarrassing.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:44 PM »
I hate losing, especially to southerners.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
Gave up 45 second half points wow!!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »
First of all, thanks guys. I had fun this year and know what's coming back is poised for greatness.

Tonight's game once again exposed the weakness we knew we had last November. We could shoot but we could easily be out-muscled inside and on defense. Wojo's recruits will fix that.

Wonder what tonight would have been like with Henry -- just dreaming but....

Some general thoughts:
  Howard will be great but is showing he is a freshman
  Cheatham's inability to be part of things is troubling, but I expect things will improve next year.
  Another year of Rowsey will be a great thing.
  Heldt has a lot of work to do to become a meaningful part of this team. He looked really lost tonight.
  Hauser is growing each game and I'm excited to see what he can do next year.

Overall, we have a way to go, but I feel a lot better tonight than I did a year ago.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:08:38 PM »
WTF happened?
Sad
Let a offensively challenged team look like an NBA franchise that second half. 

Matadors on defense cancel out a usually reliable offense.

Okay-
Got that frustration out.

On to next year!

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:09:23 PM »
Went toe to toe most of the game offensively, just never could get a couple stops in a row and ran out of bullets. JJ went out fighting, love the kid. It's gonna be aight.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 11:10:39 PM »
Of course it's going to be alright. Marquette has been blown out in the ncaas before. It happens. Learn from it and move on.

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 11:10:45 PM »
The remain 6 can rewatch this game all next year as a reminder why defense is important...and why they need to improve at it.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 11:12:36 PM »
Did not expect this result.

South Carolina took control at end of first half and MU could never get it back.  To what extent that is coaching and to what extent that was a young flawed team versus a senior laden team, I'm not sure.  But tough way to end the season and difficult way to build optimism for next year.im sure I'll feel better tomorrow but that really sucked
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Norm

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:58 PM »
Only down 3 with nine min to play then get blown out. Tough way to lose.

Glad we got back to the NCAAs, not sure if we get back next year. We still need a tough power forward and a true inside game, but not sure we will have that next year. In coming recruits might need a couple years to beef up.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 11:18:15 PM »
Turnovers were just self destructing and some of them were actually mind-blowing. 

SC had trouble with scoring, well enough said about that.

Heldt had two halfway decent games all year and tonight was just brutal in all aspects.  Hope you noticed that his teammates didn't want to pass him the ball, can't have a player like that in the game. Pray Froling is halfway decent because if Heldt is starting in BE play, no way this team goes anywhere.

Need a big bad boy PF.  Everyone said it all year and Wojo just can't get that type here.  Just like Seton Hall games, just bigger and stronger.  Maybe grad transfer, but this skinny kids against boys has to stop.

Markus needs to practice his dribbling skills, just can't break the pressing guards.  Very talented kid and was exciting to watch.

Good season Sam Hauser, you a playa......

Thought Wojo would go with Cheatham more, along with JJJ as opposed to Rowsey, Howard and Duane.  SC's just too big.

Getting bid was great for team and Wojo's staff, but have to make some major adjustments on defense and shoulder up front.

Congrats MU on making the tournament.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 11:18:35 PM »
Its pretty much all personnel. You saw how well JJ played because he's playing the same type of game against the same type of guys.  We need a mix of shooters and athletic guys.  When we have a better roster mix which is coming THEN you can question coaching by not going big or not going small or not pressing.  This team can only play one way

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 11:21:30 PM »
Turnovers were just self destructing and some of them were actually mind-blowing. 

SC had trouble with scoring, well enough said about that.

Heldt had two halfway decent games all year and tonight was just brutal in all aspects.  Hope you noticed that his teammates didn't want to pass him the ball, can't have a player like that in the game. Pray Froling is halfway decent because if Heldt is starting in BE play, no way this team goes anywhere.

Need a big bad boy PF.  Everyone said it all year and Wojo just can't get that type here.  Just like Seton Hall games, just bigger and stronger.  Maybe grad transfer, but this skinny kids against boys has to stop.

Markus needs to practice his dribbling skills, just can't break the pressing guards.  Very talented kid and was exciting to watch.

Good season Sam Hauser, you a playa......

Thought Wojo would go with Cheatham more, along with JJJ as opposed to Rowsey, Howard and Duane.  SC's just too big.

Getting bid was great for team and Wojo's staff, but have to make some major adjustments on defense and shoulder up front.

Congrats MU on making the tournament.
Nice assessment  I'd also add I expected KR to have a much bigger impact on the game. Some of that is on him but I also place some blame on Wojo. He should've been more involved in ball handling when Rousey was out. They never got him involved in the offense
No Finish Line

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 11:23:10 PM »
Tough way to go out, but I think we're addressing a lot of our deficiencies with our recruits for next year. The future is bright

What are the rankings of the players coming in?

They better be really, really good.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 11:26:34 PM »

I heard they are really, really, really good.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 11:31:52 PM »
Agreed after the initial jitters and couple silly turnovers jjj was really good and im happy for him.
And those on wojo are wrong, our personal is really really bad in some areas and wojo didnt recruit tjose kids.  I like wojos recruits but they are young.  Excited about the future
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »

Just got home from NCAA party.  As soon as Martin said to the interviewer right before the start of the second half something along the lines of "We have to take the ball to the basket every possession" I told my son if you offered me MU +13 I wouldn't take it.

Once South Carolina realized our guards couldn't offer resistance on penetration, the game was over.  I am happy we are getting some big guys next year, but we really need a point guard who can handle the ball, initiate a little offense and stay in front of his man.  Either that or we have to play multiple zone defenses next year. 

All in all a successful season, but a very disappointing ending.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 11:40:15 PM »
I don't know what they drink at half time but they need to change it up. They so often coke out so flat in the 2nd half - started the game with great energy - don't know where that goes.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 11:41:56 PM »
First of all, thanks guys. I had fun this year and know what's coming back is poised for greatness.

Tonight's game once again exposed the weakness we knew we had last November. We could shoot but we could easily be out-muscled inside and on defense. Wojo's recruits will fix that.

Wonder what tonight would have been like with Henry -- just dreaming but....

Some general thoughts:
  Howard will be great but is showing he is a freshman
  Cheatham's inability to be part of things is troubling, but I expect things will improve next year.
  Another year of Rowsey will be a great thing.
  Heldt has a lot of work to do to become a meaningful part of this team. He looked really lost tonight.
  Hauser is growing each game and I'm excited to see what he can do next year.

Overall, we have a way to go, but I feel a lot better tonight than I did a year ago.

Chances Cheatham transfers?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 11:42:48 PM »
Another year of the rodents making it farther than us.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 11:43:08 PM »
Chances Cheatham transfers?
I don't think he will

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 11:44:19 PM »
Is there a place we can go to learn defense and rebounding?  I heard about basketball summer camps at the YMCA?

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 11:51:50 PM »
Need to figure out a way to defend without fouling.

Wisconsin's teams do not have more "athleticism" than we do. Defense does not require athletic switchables. It requires discipline.

These guys can do it. And no doubt it will be the emphasis of Wojo's entire offseason.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 01:43:39 AM »
Need to figure out a way to defend without fouling.

Wisconsin's teams do not have more "athleticism" than we do. Defense does not require athletic switchables. It requires discipline.

These guys can do it. And no doubt it will be the emphasis of Wojo's entire offseason.

Yea Happ is no bigger than Fischer. Koenig isn't a great athlete. Showalter is a better athlete than some think. Hayes is a pretty good athlete for his size.

Four are seniors though and have played a ton of games together, along with having more size overall.

I've wondered during the season if maybe Wojo used a more conservative Wisconsin like system it might be a more productive defense.vs being aggressive on ball trying to create more turnovers. Then rep it over and over instead of trying 3-4 different defenses.

Defense needs skill and teamwork to be consistently productive and this team lacks skilled defenders, along with looking like they don't know how to cohesively play defense together as a unit.

Wojo all year long faced a dilemma in that most of his best offensive players also struggle defensively.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 02:26:09 AM »
They so often coke out so flat

Sounds like all my friends in Vegas.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »
While I was hoping for a better showing this year in the tournament, this team did surprise me with how well they did.  I probably raised my expecations too much after they upset Nova.

This year feels like when MU helped to make Bryant "Big Country" Reeves into a lottery pick with his run in the NCAA's.  That OSU team blindsided MU and we didn't have a response, at that point Mac wasn't strong enough or polished enough to match up against Big Country.  But we all know a year or two later, that same core of players beat Duke on a run to the S16.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »
While I was hoping for a better showing this year in the tournament, this team did surprise me with how well they did.  I probably raised my expecations too much after they upset Nova.

This year feels like when MU helped to make Bryant "Big Country" Reeves into a lottery pick with his run in the NCAA's.  That OSU team blindsided MU and we didn't have a response, at that point Mac wasn't strong enough or polished enough to match up against Big Country.  But we all know a year or two later, that same core of players beat Duke on a run to the S16.

They beat Kentucky on that run to a S16.

And Big Country was only a sophomore when they played Marquette in 1993.  It what seems like a long-ago era, he stayed four years at OSU and lead his team to a Final Four as a senior in 1995.

That being said, I agree with your overall point regarding this team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
Yea Happ is no bigger than Fischer. Koenig isn't a great athlete. Showalter is a better athlete than some think. Hayes is a pretty good athlete for his size.

Four are seniors though and have played a ton of games together, along with having more size overall.

Three are seniors, one (Haps) is a junior. But they played pretty darn good D as freshmen and sophomores, too.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 06:14:51 PM »
More den anythin', dis team needs overall quickness. Beeden to da spot tyme and time agan, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »
Besides quickness, MUSCLE, TOUGHNESS. Guys who rebound.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »

I've wondered during the season if maybe Wojo used a more conservative Wisconsin like system it might be a more productive defense.vs being aggressive on ball trying to create more turnovers. Then rep it over and over instead of trying 3-4 different defenses.

Defense needs skill and teamwork to be consistently productive and this team lacks skilled defenders, along with looking like they don't know how to cohesively play defense together as a unit.

Wojo all year long faced a dilemma in that most of his best offensive players also struggle defensively.

Happ may not be bigger than Fischer, but he is infinitely more athletic.  Happ plays like a guard in a center's body.  Fischer plays like a 7-2 280 lb center in a 6-9 mans body. 

Koenig is very very athletic, big for his position and highly skilled.  His problem has been too often playing hero ball.  Showalter is an extreme athlete, just not that skilled.  Hayes also is an elite level athlete that can overpower pretty much anyone. 

This UW team has vastly underperformed until the tournament. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 12:15:28 AM »
Our D did stink last night, but let's not forget that it wasn't all on the D. We had 18 TOs leading to 25 pts by the Cocks. A lot of the TOs were of the "live-ball" variety, leading to layups and dunks.

Our main problems were on the perimeter. Our little guards couldn't handle the defensive pressure they got from their SC counterparts, nor could our guards put any pressure on SC when SC was on offense.

SC was a horrible matchup for us because of the size and strength disparity of the guards, and it stunk to have to play a 7th-seeded home team, but whatchagonnado?

Finally ...

Much thanks to the fellow Scooper who invited me to sit with his family. I enjoyed being around my fellow Warriors and cheering on Wojo and the lads. And although this loss sucked, I thoroughly enjoyed most of the season.

Go Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »
Did not expect this result.

South Carolina took control at end of first half and MU could never get it back.  To what extent that is coaching and to what extent that was a young flawed team versus a senior laden team, I'm not sure.  But tough way to end the season and difficult way to build optimism for next year.im sure I'll feel better tomorrow but that really sucked
To me the only way it is coaching is that the coach is responsible for the talent on the team. We had no players on this team that could stop a player with size that got on a roll. MU was only a good team when they were hitting threes and if we went cold or the other team had players that could defend the three, we were not a good team.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »
FFS guys, why do the Badgers have to be discussed at length on every thread? Go on the Madison board to talk about UW basketball. Please? K thanks.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 12:03:15 PM »
The more I think about this game the more I'm concerned about the coaching.  We had no answers for their penetration or pressure.  That 5 foot floater just kept happening. 

It's also unreal to me that Traci Carter couldn't see a role for himself on this team.  Our guards can't play defense or handle the ball...those are Traci's calling cards.  He will be missed.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Johnny Clue

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »
We need the second coming of Faisal Abraham.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 10:24:36 AM »
Finally back at the desk getting a full dose of Scoop therapy after a long weekend....

"Rebounding and Defense" may sum up most of our feelings on Friday night (let alone this year), but it's a bit reductionist and pessimistic by nature; I don't see any reason for pessimism right now.  Something along the lines of "you can't teach everything at once" seems more apropos because at least two-thirds of rebounding and defense is simply proper positioning (which can be taught).

That said, there are things that certainly make up for not being in the right position such as pure athleticism, lateral agility, and/or dumb luck, but unfortunately, MU was left yearning in all of those areas this year, and next year may not be all that better, but what we will have is a stable of talent that will foster a team with more than one dimension.  As such, I think it's incumbent upon the players and coaching staff to work on the intellectual side of the game during the off-season because even having the best offense ever won't win you 6 games in a row.  There's no reason that we can't be looking forward to a game on Thu/Fri a year from now... it's simply a matter of fostering player discipline. 

In hindsight, it feels like much of the season was spent drawing up (and executing, sometimes to a fault) a game plan that was designed to maximize individual player's strengths on offense at the expense of defense and in-game adjustments.  Having three guys who can shoot in the upper 40's from downtown is a solid foundation to build upon... another off-season of work with Todd & Co will hopefully firm up Heldt's body & confidence (not to mention the added mass/strength to bang around with a 6-11/260 pounder will make both better).  Same goes with Sacar and Hani... those guys have to work hard to make each other better.  And God willing, Ike and Theo will be able to make some meaningful contributions at the 4.  On paper, it honestly feels like MU can compete for a BE title if just one of our guys can break out next season... whether Hani finds the handle and turns into an assist machine, Matt's progression elicits talk of a poor man's Kaminski, Sam becomes a force down low, or one of the newcomers earns BE honors... any one of these would put MU into the conversation.

This year clearly goes into the success column, but the future is even brighter, ladies and gentlemen; just how intense it will be rests not in our hands, but whether you choose to shade your eyes is your choice.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
Finally back at the desk getting a full dose of Scoop therapy after a long weekend....

"Rebounding and Defense" may sum up most of our feelings on Friday night (let alone this year), but it's a bit reductionist and pessimistic by nature; I don't see any reason for pessimism right now.  Something along the lines of "you can't teach everything at once" seems more apropos because at least two-thirds of rebounding and defense is simply proper positioning (which can be taught).

That said, there are things that certainly make up for not being in the right position such as pure athleticism, lateral agility, and/or dumb luck, but unfortunately, MU was left yearning in all of those areas this year, and next year may not be all that better, but what we will have is a stable of talent that will foster a team with more than one dimension.  As such, I think it's incumbent upon the players and coaching staff to work on the intellectual side of the game during the off-season because even having the best offense ever won't win you 6 games in a row.  There's no reason that we can't be looking forward to a game on Thu/Fri a year from now... it's simply a matter of fostering player discipline. 

In hindsight, it feels like much of the season was spent drawing up (and executing, sometimes to a fault) a game plan that was designed to maximize individual player's strengths on offense at the expense of defense and in-game adjustments.  Having three guys who can shoot in the upper 40's from downtown is a solid foundation to build upon... another off-season of work with Todd & Co will hopefully firm up Heldt's body & confidence (not to mention the added mass/strength to bang around with a 6-11/260 pounder will make both better).  Same goes with Sacar and Hani... those guys have to work hard to make each other better.  And God willing, Ike and Theo will be able to make some meaningful contributions at the 4.  On paper, it honestly feels like MU can compete for a BE title if just one of our guys can break out next season... whether Hani finds the handle and turns into an assist machine, Matt's progression elicits talk of a poor man's Kaminski, Sam becomes a force down low, or one of the newcomers earns BE honors... any one of these would put MU into the conversation.

This year clearly goes into the success column, but the future is even brighter, ladies and gentlemen; just how intense it will be rests not in our hands, but whether you choose to shade your eyes is your choice.

Preach, Benny!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson