collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette MBA  (Read 11591 times)

FruitStandJim

• Walk-On
Marquette MBA
« on: March 17, 2017, 05:57:50 PM »
Hello all,

First time posting on this board, hopefully this thread is in the right forum. I currently live in NW Illinois, but may be relocating to the Milwaukee area in a few months. I'm also planning on beginning the pursuit of my MBA in the Fall. So naturally, I've started the process to look into Marquette as an option.

Just looking to see if anyone here has gone through the program and has any tips/pointers or anything that they might find helpful.

I'm a Saluki (did my undergrad at SIU) and I've pretty much forgotten what it feels like to watch a good, well-coached basketball team. I'll be watching and rooting for Marquette tonight. And for anyone who can respond to my request above, thanks much!

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
Re: Marquette MBA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 05:55:14 PM »
Hello all,

First time posting on this board, hopefully this thread is in the right forum. I currently live in NW Illinois, but may be relocating to the Milwaukee area in a few months. I'm also planning on beginning the pursuit of my MBA in the Fall. So naturally, I've started the process to look into Marquette as an option.

Just looking to see if anyone here has gone through the program and has any tips/pointers or anything that they might find helpful.

I'm a Saluki (did my undergrad at SIU) and I've pretty much forgotten what it feels like to watch a good, well-coached basketball team. I'll be watching and rooting for Marquette tonight. And for anyone who can respond to my request above, thanks much!
I'd look to UW-Madison or UWM first. Madison ranked higher with a broader national awareness, and UWM cheaper without any loss of cache.

IMO the MU MBA needs to pick a lane: be best in state or drop the price or program.

2012 Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:49:41 PM »
As a current MU MBAer, Efficient is not far off. They have just re-evaluated the program and seem to be streamlining it this (2017) fall.  The new curriculum should cut the cost by 20-30% depending if your a business undergrad.

My choice came down to work is paying for it. So price I didn't care a ton about (aka not going to UW-Mke). And I have too much disdain for UW-Msn (better dead than red). The program that did peak my interest more was Northwesterns weekend program. Decided I didn't want to travel in the end.

As I said agree with Efficients post above about it not being a top 25 program. But if location wins out or price doesn't matter to you, it's a good option. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 12:43:40 AM »
Here is my take on MBAs - getting a credential for the sake of getting one, any one, is a fool's game.

My advice is to take two years to invest in your career. Get into a top 20 program or don't bother.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 10:33:42 AM »
Commute to Evanston and go to Kellogg

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
Here is my take on MBAs - getting a credential for the sake of getting one, any one, is a fool's game.

My advice is to take two years to invest in your career. Get into a top 20 program or don't bother.

I agree with this. 

Or if you are getting one simply for a credential, get one from the cheapest and most flexible one offered by an AACSB accredited school.  IOW, if it cheaper and fits your schedule better, UWM might be just as good as Marquette.

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
Commute to Evanston and go to Kellogg
... if you can't get into Booth

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »
If you do an MBA before you get a real job most employers will think you did it because you couldn't get a job and at least one hiring manager (me) thinks it's meaningless.
If you do an MBA before you turn 30 you don't have enough experience to learn anything, and you definitely cannot contribute to the class.
My advice, wait until you're 35-40, do an executive MBA at a top 25 school, and use it to network, springboard your career or change career.  Read the ROI ratings, they are meaningful. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 08:37:27 AM »
I got my MBA from MU starting after 6 years of work experience and went back part time A) so I could keep working B) I still had a life C) my company paid $8k a year for tuition so I was spreading out the classes to minimize my out of pocket. All told, took me a little over 3 years to finish.

I got my MBA because I was making the transition from engineering lead to strategy/business lead at my company and having the paper put me in a position to get better transition roles than I might otherwise have gotten.

Having said that, 60-70% of what I "learned" at MU in the MBA program I had already learned in various roles at work or by other means. There is definitely classes that were more valuable than others like my negotiations course, etc but overall I'd say the experience was relatively blah. A lot of times it felt like both me and the course were trying to check a box. Additionally, by all accounts, a lot of the MBA programs are about networking and while I got some of that at MU the vast majority of all the students were doing part time as well and on their own schedules so it's not like you saw the same people all the time to build some of those relationships.

I got what I needed out of the program but I didn't need a ton so it worked. I originally wanted to do a distance learning program for MBA that had an in person component (majority of semesters were web classes but then every 4 months you had to come in for a 3-4 day weekend to do a bunch of in person projects/courses). Company wouldn't pay for that type of program otherwise I would have done that over MU.

Hope this helps.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:02:14 PM »

On point. I might even amend that to top 10 unless it's a regional powerhouse.

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
On point. I might even amend that to top 10 unless it's a regional powerhouse.
If you are getting an MBA without a 100% for-sure idea of what you want to do after, an M7 school will minimize risk. The staying power of endowment, nobels, ranking and alumni are hard to disrupt, even by strong second-tier schools. In particular, these are more important if trying to get into banking/Private Equity/Consulting/etc.

Year-in and year-out these are the top 7 schools, unlike Fuqua, Darden, Tuck, or Haas (to name a few) who will briefly shoot up the rankings, only to return to the top-10 or top-15 spots. Also, generally, better idea to get an MBA from such a school young, so as to enjoy more years of increased salary/career options/etc.

List of M7 Schools:

Sources:
- Nobels by University: https://s1.postimg.org/46ry52gbz/MBA_Rank.png
- ROI by MBA: http://www.valuewalk.com/2016/09/chicago-booth-mba/
- Ranking (Economist): http://www.economist.com/whichmba/full-time-mba-ranking
- Ranking (Financial Times): http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2016
- Ranking (USNews): https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
- Ranking (Recruiters): http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/16/how-recruiters-rank-mba-programs/2/

Edited:
Looks like Forbes does their own composite ranking of MBAs which shows the M7 as the top 7 programs:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattsymonds/2015/12/30/the-sum-of-all-the-business-school-rankings-of-2015/#50bdd13d5637

Doesn't mean those are the only great schools out there, but any movement among these schools is simply shuffling the top 7 spots.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:15:49 PM by Efficient Frontier »

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »
Hello all,

Bottom line for evaluating an MBA is to talk to people who are in and have completed the programs.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »
I agree with the M7 analysis.  It opened doors for me that would have never been available with my undergrad out of MU. 

What blows me away these days is the price tag.  You guys don't want to know what my Booth MBA cost in the mid 80's.  (The college wasn't named back then, just GSB.)  I don't think I could do it today even with the inflation factor.  Of course at the time, the Hyde Park campus consisted of 4 classrooms and a student lounge in the Quad.  And the downtown campus (190 E. Delaware) was in a transformed downtown middle school.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:24:36 PM by jsglow »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »
I got my MBA from MU starting after 6 years of work experience and went back part time A) so I could keep working B) I still had a life C) my company paid $8k a year for tuition so I was spreading out the classes to minimize my out of pocket. All told, took me a little over 3 years to finish.

I got my MBA because I was making the transition from engineering lead to strategy/business lead at my company and having the paper put me in a position to get better transition roles than I might otherwise have gotten.

Having said that, 60-70% of what I "learned" at MU in the MBA program I had already learned in various roles at work or by other means. There is definitely classes that were more valuable than others like my negotiations course, etc but overall I'd say the experience was relatively blah. A lot of times it felt like both me and the course were trying to check a box. Additionally, by all accounts, a lot of the MBA programs are about networking and while I got some of that at MU the vast majority of all the students were doing part time as well and on their own schedules so it's not like you saw the same people all the time to build some of those relationships.

I got what I needed out of the program but I didn't need a ton so it worked. I originally wanted to do a distance learning program for MBA that had an in person component (majority of semesters were web classes but then every 4 months you had to come in for a 3-4 day weekend to do a bunch of in person projects/courses). Company wouldn't pay for that type of program otherwise I would have done that over MU.

Hope this helps.

Extra reseating points, ai-na?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 09:36:13 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 11:00:49 PM »
I agree with the M7 analysis.  It opened doors for me that would have never been available with my undergrad out of MU. 

What blows me away these days is the price tag.  You guys don't want to know what my Booth MBA cost in the mid 80's.  (The college wasn't named back then, just GSB.)  I don't think I could do it today even with the inflation factor.  Of course at the time, the Hyde Park campus consisted of 4 classrooms and a student lounge in the Quad.  And the downtown campus (190 E. Delaware) was in a transformed downtown middle school.

Depending on where you are and where you want to go, Booth is in the small number of schools that are worth the price of admission for an MBA.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
I think its fair to extend outside the M7 to the Top 15 depending.  My cousin's husband went to Ross, namely due to scholarship opportunities, and his experience and network is just as good as if he went to M7.  The key is a strong network and alumni base.  Sure the price tag is high, but depending on your plans after, he said with signing bonuses and pay hikes, he and a lot of his classmates were paid off within 2-3 years.

Ive mentioned here that I went to a mid tier program.  Was a top 10 ranked part time program when I started, but that was clearly trading on prior prestige.  Wasn't super impressed by the curriculum nor peer group.  However it opened a door for my next job, cleared a hurdle, and helped me surpass most of my colleagues that I had fallen behind since graduation.  But I don't think the cost was purely worth it as I pay loans for the next 5 years still.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »
If you do an MBA before you get a real job most employers will think you did it because you couldn't get a job and at least one hiring manager (me) thinks it's meaningless.
If you do an MBA before you turn 30 you don't have enough experience to learn anything, and you definitely cannot contribute to the class.
My advice, wait until you're 35-40, do an executive MBA at a top 25 school, and use it to network, springboard your career or change career.  Read the ROI ratings, they are meaningful.

So if you are hiring for a position and considering 2 mid 30-somethings for a position, one with a MBA (s)he got early and one who didn't have a MBA at all, you wouldn't think give any preferential treatment to the one with the degree? Do you closely look at the years the degrees were earned?

Also, any thoughts on an online MBA? I think the actual experience is really limited but I would imagine it would help check MBA box formality on some positions at a higher level.

FruitStandJim

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses all. I guess I can shed more light on my situation, and from there you can all tell me I'm an idiot or I'm on the right path in looking into an MBA.

I graduated from SIU with a degree in Finance. During my last year there, I worked alongside the controller of the Alumni Association. I completed a project that dealt with their investments. It was really cool because it directly tied to classes I was taking that year such as portfolio theory. In fact, I would go to my professor's office hours and help students with a big project we had since I was a leg up on them. Upon graduation, I considered staying down there and starting my MBA right away. After talking to peers and my boss at the time, I pretty much came to the conclusion that it would be a waste to pursue right out of undergrad (as someone had mentioned earlier in this thread). I ended up finding a job back in Chicago that I started right after graduating.

I work for a produce wholesaler. We buy produce from all around the country on a wholesale basis and sell it to retail and food service. We do actually sell to a few customers in Milwaukee (V Marchese and Tony Machi if anybody is familiar). My current title is Financial Director, and I'm in charge of all of the accounting that we do in-house. I report to the President and work alongside our CFO, as well as the accountant we use outside of the company to reconcile components of our balance sheet. We are a very small company of about 50 people, with 7 in our office. There are 2-3 people that report to me on a daily basis.

So why an MBA? Well first of all, in my eyes it will help me network and potentially leave my current job for a new one. I feel as if my work here is so specialized that it wouldn't really carry forward if I were to move on. Therefore getting an MBA would not only help me network, but also sharpen my business acumen on a broader scale. I'm also interested/excited to work with like-minded individuals on group projects and become a better leader that way.

As I mentioned earlier, I currently live in NW Illinois but may be relocating to Milwaukee. I've looked at several programs in Chicago, but some like Booth are just way out of my price range. My old roommate went to Booth, and the amount of money he had to borrow is something I don't think I could ever do. Even with my current salary (I make over 100K) and stability, I would crap my pants if I ever borrowed that much money for anything other than a house. I've looked into DePaul as well, but the cost there seems insanely high as well. Marquette seems to be in a comfortable price range for me, and without knowing much about it I figured it would be the best option in or near Milwaukee.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the time and help.

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 12:20:16 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses all. I guess I can shed more light on my situation, and from there you can all tell me I'm an idiot or I'm on the right path in looking into an MBA.

I graduated from SIU with a degree in Finance. During my last year there, I worked alongside the controller of the Alumni Association. I completed a project that dealt with their investments. It was really cool because it directly tied to classes I was taking that year such as portfolio theory. In fact, I would go to my professor's office hours and help students with a big project we had since I was a leg up on them. Upon graduation, I considered staying down there and starting my MBA right away. After talking to peers and my boss at the time, I pretty much came to the conclusion that it would be a waste to pursue right out of undergrad (as someone had mentioned earlier in this thread). I ended up finding a job back in Chicago that I started right after graduating.

I work for a produce wholesaler. We buy produce from all around the country on a wholesale basis and sell it to retail and food service. We do actually sell to a few customers in Milwaukee (V Marchese and Tony Machi if anybody is familiar). My current title is Financial Director, and I'm in charge of all of the accounting that we do in-house. I report to the President and work alongside our CFO, as well as the accountant we use outside of the company to reconcile components of our balance sheet. We are a very small company of about 50 people, with 7 in our office. There are 2-3 people that report to me on a daily basis.

So why an MBA? Well first of all, in my eyes it will help me network and potentially leave my current job for a new one. I feel as if my work here is so specialized that it wouldn't really carry forward if I were to move on. Therefore getting an MBA would not only help me network, but also sharpen my business acumen on a broader scale. I'm also interested/excited to work with like-minded individuals on group projects and become a better leader that way.

As I mentioned earlier, I currently live in NW Illinois but may be relocating to Milwaukee. I've looked at several programs in Chicago, but some like Booth are just way out of my price range. My old roommate went to Booth, and the amount of money he had to borrow is something I don't think I could ever do. Even with my current salary (I make over 100K) and stability, I would crap my pants if I ever borrowed that much money for anything other than a house. I've looked into DePaul as well, but the cost there seems insanely high as well. Marquette seems to be in a comfortable price range for me, and without knowing much about it I figured it would be the best option in or near Milwaukee.

I'd suggest that the marginal benefit of an MBA from a top school versus a Marquette will likely far surpass that of any real estate purchase you make in your lifetime.

That said, if price is a concern, I'd recommend getting the cheapest MBA you can find. If I were in your shoes (and a little less concerned with debt for an MBA), here's how I'd look at it:

1) If I can get into an M-7 program, I figure out how to pay for it, and absolutely go
2) If I get into a top-25 (non M-7 program), I'd attend only if I received significant scholarship or company assistance to bring the price in line with #3
3) I'd attend the cheapest, fastest option to complete an MBA as a "check the box"

Otherwise I would not attend.

One more note (not to push it), but the loan payback rate of M-7 schools is within 2-3 years of graduation. If you look at average salary increase, etc for schools even in the top 20, they are a far cry but not much cheaper. Debt sucks especially when you have to sacrifice comfort in the short-term, but you only get one shot at an MBA for life, and it pays every year, long after the loans have been retired.

...not to mention a Booth/Wharton/MIT degree in the finance field is particularly powerful.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:21:52 PM by Efficient Frontier »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 12:23:38 PM »
Jim:

My thoughts: 

1. Unless Marquette does something differently than most other part-time MBA programs, the "networking" aspect is overrated.  You aren't grabbing beers with these people after class, you aren't shooting the sh*t with the professors, you aren't getting placed into an internship the summer between years, your significant other isn't attending events for significant others, etc.  You are going to class with these people and that's pretty much it.  Those are benefits more of full time programs.

2. What do you want to do with your career?  Do you want to stay in this type of business?  Same size of business?  IMO I don't think an MBA helps you much in that respect.  Do you want to more into a larger company in a different industry?  There I think an MBA might help you more.

So IMO it comes down to this:

1.  If you want to quit your job, go to school full-time, and see where it takes you, then do it.  And I think you can look at some of the other top 20 options.  I know MBA graduates of Michigan, Texas and UCLA and none of them have any regrets about their decision. 

2. If you are looking to do basically the same thing you are doing now, but working up to a larger company find something economical and flexible, yet still AACSB accredited.  So Marquette might be an option, but so might UWM, UW-Whitewater or Northern Illinois.  Your job experience is going to mean a lot more than the school from which you received your MBA the further along you get in your career anyway.

3.  So does that mean I'm sh*tting on the alma mater's MBA program?  Yeah a little.  I don't think the marginal benefits you get from a part time Marquette MBA are worth the marginal costs compared to some of the options.  And I wouldn't quit my job to go full time at MU either.

FruitStandJim

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 12:38:16 PM »
Thanks. I'm definitely a novice when it comes to all of this, so thanks for the tips/pointers. The roommate that I mentioned started at Booth on a part-time basis, but he felt like he was missing too much. He quit his job and finished the program as a full-time student. He then tried to do the start-up thing but the app him and a few classmates created never really took off. He missed out on his dream job after that, but now works for Orbitz in Chicago. I don't think he makes as much as he'd like/he thought he would, but he also hasn't been out of school too long either.

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
Thanks. I'm definitely a novice when it comes to all of this, so thanks for the tips/pointers. The roommate that I mentioned started at Booth on a part-time basis, but he felt like he was missing too much. He quit his job and finished the program as a full-time student. He then tried to do the start-up thing but the app him and a few classmates created never really took off. He missed out on his dream job after that, but now works for Orbitz in Chicago. I don't think he makes as much as he'd like/he thought he would, but he also hasn't been out of school too long either.
A top school is definitely a big bet, so it's not an obvious choice by any means. You're smart to think hard about what level of risk/reward you're willing to pursue. Just a final thought on your situation:

Poets & Quants (an incredibly dorky blog following MBA programs) put together a list of average income made by MBAs post-graduation in 2011. This is old data, but let's just assume it holds today. (http://poetsandquants.com/2011/08/04/what-top-mbas-earn-five-years-out/)

Here's a quick table of program cost, and expected salary for Booth and UW, since you're considering Chicago/Wisconsin schools. Since UW isn't ranked in the top 25, I've substituted Rice U's salary info here assuming it's similar):

Note: UofC is 99%(!) more expensive, returning only 23% higher expected salary at graduation (this doesn't include signing bonuses as part of compensation). However, 5 years after graduation, the average Boothie is making 63% more than the average UW/Rice grad.

I threw together two comparisons in the table below (no discounting):

In the "Booth v UW" comparison, I assume you'd attend either part-time, while making $100,000 per year. Comparing these two schools, you can see that years 1-3 are (in total) $63k more expensive to attend Booth. However, over the next 5 years, the average Booth salary increases dramatically, whereas the average UW salary barely surpasses the Booth graduating offer. If theses averages are even remotely correct, Booth will payoff much higher than UW, particularly if you continue in a finance career.

In the "UW v No MBA" comparison, I assume (if you don't choose to get an MBA), you're making exactly 100k today, and receive a 4% raise annually. In this case you can see that in no year (over the next 7) would you expect to have had a better year with a UW MBA than with your current career trajectory.... and you'd have to pay $64k for that outcome!

Since you're looking at other MBAs in Wisconsin (which likely have lower income figures), I'd expect the differences between Booth & other MBA or No MBA v other MBA to be even more pronounced, meaning you'd likely be better off swinging for the fences for a top school or forego the MBA altogether (unless you're getting it free or close to free).

Ranked by Estimated Return:
1) Booth
2) No MBA
3) UW MBA
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:17:40 PM by Efficient Frontier »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »

Why the basic advice here is sage, it falls well short of universal.

My cousin is doing her MBA at the equivalent of a dash school, not quite as low as a UofPhx but certainly no cachet either... but she's mid-career at a Fortune 200 and simply needs to check a box in order to move up a level.  I have no idea what tuition costs, but it's a fraction of what it would be at Marquette or similar.  Two of her superiors actually have the DeVry or UofPhx credential... she initially had the same thoughts keefe did about MBA's until the promotion she thought she was in line for was given to these two. 

One of my wife's former co-workers had a husband who did an eMBA at ND's "campus" in the loop.  He was not trying to check a box but wanted to get plugged into the ND network.  I'm not sure that it really worked out for him (mostly because he's basically a putz to begin with), but people do a lot of stupid stuff in the name of networking, and for some, it eventually pans out.

I got my MBA from MU mostly because the job market was sh|tty and it didn't cost me anything (graduate assistant FTW) but also because the program had a top-10 rating from US News at the time.  Nevertheless, while not as sought after as an M7 or t20, it did directly lead to the job I have today.

I will be the first to admit that the prestige of an MBA - even an M7 - is much more diluted today relative to decades past, but unfortunately, that is what has made it all the more important as the cost of entry in certain places... in traditional jobs.  The growth and emergence of the tech center as a major employer of business (and not just IT) students has made the answer you're looking for all the more complicated.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:40 PM »
Screw the MBA and go to dental school.  Look at 4ever, he's a DDS and is barely literate.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »
Screw the MBA and go to dental school.  Look at 4ever, he's a DDS and is barely literate.

Post of the week nomination.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »

First, you need to consider what it is you want to do (with an MBA or otherwise). If it's to work in finance, and you can get into Booth, you should go. Don't overthink it. It's a large investment, sure, but there are few investments in your life that will pay off like that one will. Booth will connect you to a network to which you simply do not have access right now. I disagree with anyone who said the networking angle is overplayed--forget about the rich alumni network, the platinum credential, and the world-class faculty--your classmates will be titans in finance, economics, and tech. These will be your friends and your colleagues. It's a no-brainer. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 08:48:01 AM »
Bottom line it's a cost-benefit analysis in terms of what you want to get out of life. I have, and I am certain will in the future, gone head to head with M7 trained individuals in business and held my own just fine. I also have no doubt that I would be in a different job and place if I was M7 trained, but I really like what I do and where I am....doesn't mean that also wouldn't be true of an M7 type job, but it wasn't what I wanted out of life.

So like any of the mentorees I have(I know I'm shocked they let me talk to other humans too) I'd say, decide what lane you want to drive in for the next 5-10 years and then do whatever makes that lane the most viable/fun/interesting
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Eagles22

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 04:03:08 PM »

This is interesting advice. Anyone on the board do an EMBA? Like my job and advanced at my company past the point where taking a couple years off (or spending 3-4 years to get the MBA part time) makes sense... but feel like everyone the next level up or so has the credential so starting to think about it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 10:37:28 PM »
One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that prospective employers will offer summer interns from top-tier MBA programs complete two-year tuition reimbursement if you sign on before you start the second year.

This is done by leading I banks and corporations. PepsiCo has an active, aggressive talent acquisition program at Penn, HBS, Tuck, and Kellogg. If you sign up they wipe the slate clean on all incurred tuition expenses; second year invoices are actually sent directly to Purchase where PepsiCo pays the schools directly. (This includes all associated expenses from the Coop - pens, lap tops, software, HP 12Cs, etc...)

People look at the cost of tuition and are staggered. But the reality is that competition for talent from the very best programs is fierce and most employers factor picking up the two-year tab as a cost of doing business. Freshly minted MBAs often leave school debt-free.

Death on call

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
I did the Wisconsin Evening MBA recently if you have questions about their program.  I agree with pretty much what everyone here said, I chose Madison because it carried a much better reputation for the same cost as Marquette.

At the end of the day, it's what you make of it.  We've all run across a thousand people with MBAs still doing their same job as before.  They largely expected the MBA to be a magic pill that gave them a high-earning career automatically upon graduation.  What the better schools give you is a higher percentage of your classmates that are committed to performing the other side of that equation at work every day, which increases the value of your network post grad.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »

If you can get into U of C GSB aka Booth you should do it. Don't worry about the cost. You are on a good career path already and getting your MBA from a top school will increase your upward trajectory .  This will be the best investment you will ever make. The intangible benefits are too numerous to list out. Remember your resume is of value in many ways in your business career . Lenders, Investors, customers, employees etc
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Buzzed

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 07:45:44 PM »
The first question is what do you want to do with your MBA?

Second question is where is your ideal job located?

Let me first say I am just finishing up my MU MBA and work in Illinois for a Fortune 500 wholesaler in finance, but not in produce.  I know people and work with those that attend/attended the top schools mentioned Booth and Kellogg.  Generally speaking if you are under 40 get a masters as it is basically the new bachelors for younger generations.

If you are looking to stay in corporate finance stick with the best alumni network for the area you want to end up in.  A lot of the people I work with got their MBA at Northern Illinois in Hoffman Estates, Depaul, and Loyola in that order.  They are just checking the box for a promotion as virtually no recent director or above does not have a masters say my comment.  The elite schools like Booth and Kellogg really only pay off if you are looking to switch careers.  If you are looking to go into consulting, or high finance an elite school really helps with networking.  That is where the big risk and money is.  You  already mentioned you were a director making over six figures I'm not really sure there is much up side for an elite school with a starting salary in the low six figures median.  I personally work with several Booth and Kellogg alums that make the same as any run of the mill MBA graduate.  My advice if you are looking to stay in a similar job go to MU if you want to end up in Milwaukee.  Do the ACG Cup if you attend.  If you want to stay in the Chicago area apply to all the big ones and run the cost benefit analysis.  I would do part-time as I'm not sure how much salary bump you will get if you are already over six figures.  For everyone that went to Booth and made $200k in private equity, there is another one making $75k as a healthcare manager.  Remember alumni salary reporting is skewed because it is voluntary and people like to gloat.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »
Dude, wear you bin at all deez yeers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 08:04:40 AM »

Keefe, I don't completely agree with this.

I have an undergraduate degree in Journalism from MU. Worked in the field for a decade and, while I was working in Chicago, discovered my employer would pay for 75 percent of an MBA. Went to Loyola in the 1980s and earned an MBA in 1987.

Started a career in finance after I was graduated. Have done OK for myself since then! It worked because I had an MBA and paid attention. Yes, I worked on my career, very, very hard. But I also had the skills I learned from a good but not great MBA program.

Morale of the story: MBAs won't replace hard work and effort. They will make the path easier, if you pay attention and use what you learn.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »
Keefe, I don't completely agree with this.

I have an undergraduate degree in Journalism from MU. Worked in the field for a decade and, while I was working in Chicago, discovered my employer would pay for 75 percent of an MBA. Went to Loyola in the 1980s and earned an MBA in 1987.

Started a career in finance after I was graduated. Have done OK for myself since then! It worked because I had an MBA and paid attention. Yes, I worked on my career, very, very hard. But I also had the skills I learned from a good but not great MBA program.

Morale of the story: MBAs won't replace hard work and effort. They will make the path easier, if you pay attention and use what you learn.

I won't speak for Keefe, but in my experience what you just described was not getting a degree for the sake of getting one.  It was with a purpose of career/function switching. 

I think Keefe's advice is dead on - the only thing I would add is if enrolling into a local program is a means for you to obtain career sponsorship within your company a lesser program may be ok. 

Really the important thing is knowing why you are getting an MBA (i.e. career switch, sponsorship, network, top tier credential, etc).  Just getting to put MBA after your name is not worth the cost.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
I won't speak for Keefe, but in my experience what you just described was not getting a degree for the sake of getting one.  It was with a purpose of career/function switching. 

I think Keefe's advice is dead on - the only thing I would add is if enrolling into a local program is a means for you to obtain career sponsorship within your company a lesser program may be ok. 

Really the important thing is knowing why you are getting an MBA (i.e. career switch, sponsorship, network, top tier credential, etc).  Just getting to put MBA after your name is not worth the cost.

Depot, I read your postings with enjoyment when I see them. But in this case, I said I don't completely agree...

My point was twofold. You have to have a purpose for an MBA. If it is acquired from a diploma mill as an alternative to being a good corporate politician, hard worker and thoughtful professional, then Keefe is right, it's a waste of time. My ole buddy the Warthog pilot and I concur on this point.

Second, where I take issue is whether you have to have an MBA from an Ivy or near-Ivy to make a difference. No amount of corporate backside kissing, hard work or  late nights before a deadline can make up for not having the tools to do a job. That's what Loyola and the Jesuits there gave me. I had a mentor beginning in the mid-1980s who leveraged my writing and financial skills and a second mentor who forced me into sales. The result was, well, very good.

What I will say, and I hope JimDub is tuned in, is that the undergraduate degree I obtained from Marquette was tremendous in opening my mind and teaching me how to think. The nature of my degree was such that I had been exposed to a wide range of subjects and ideas that went a long way in formulating my ability to grasp and understand business concepts.

JimDub, you said you went to Southern Illinois University (I assume in Carbondale). You went to a great school, as both of my children go there now. I would encourage you to ask what you will learn in an MBA program -- any MBA program -- that you don't already know from your experience and your education. As I said in the beginning, what's your purpose?

In the meantime, GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:15:32 PM by dgies9156 »

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »
This is interesting advice. Anyone on the board do an EMBA? Like my job and advanced at my company past the point where taking a couple years off (or spending 3-4 years to get the MBA part time) makes sense... but feel like everyone the next level up or so has the credential so starting to think about it.

You want to get an MBA as soon as possible, if you choose that path. If you take a top program's pay boost, you're looking at moving from roughly $80k-$140k from the MBA. If you get that boost at 28 versus 38, that is ten additional years to reap the benefit of the investment.

Add on that an EMBA is likely not adding a boost in salary and tends to cost MORE than a 2 year degree.... only really makes sense in very specific circumstances where your employer is paying for it.

If looking at an MBA I'd recommend not forgoing a program in your 20s to attend an EMBA later on in your career.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2020, 12:27:13 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with an online master's program that includes 3-4 weekends on campus? I have a few colleagues and friends in the programs now and they are enjoying the experience. I'm looking into master's programs (specifically supply chain) and Marquette's curriculum looks to be ahead of the curve compared to larger state schools - my friend at Target claims the University of Minnesota MBA supply chain classes were still talking 80s Toyota as of last year.

Marquette is also actually significantly less expensive than the Michigan State program I'm also looking at. With my employer's contribution, MU scholarships and the relatively low starting cost of MU, it looks like I would be able to get through the 2-year program for ~13K. Michigan State's sticker price is ~55K compared to ~36K at MU.

Looking to hear if anyone has any contacts that have gone through a focused online MS program either at MU or else ware or if they do/don't see the value.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2020, 12:55:49 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with an online master's program that includes 3-4 weekends on campus? I have a few colleagues and friends in the programs now and they are enjoying the experience. I'm looking into master's programs (specifically supply chain) and Marquette's curriculum looks to be ahead of the curve compared to larger state schools - my friend at Target claims the University of Minnesota MBA supply chain classes were still talking 80s Toyota as of last year.

Marquette is also actually significantly less expensive than the Michigan State program I'm also looking at. With my employer's contribution, MU scholarships and the relatively low starting cost of MU, it looks like I would be able to get through the 2-year program for ~13K. Michigan State's sticker price is ~55K compared to ~36K at MU.

Looking to hear if anyone has any contacts that have gone through a focused online MS program either at MU or else ware or if they do/don't see the value.

Can I ask why you're opting for the online?   

Despite some of the horrible takes earlier in this thread about lack of networking in MU's part time masters programs, the networking really is one of the greatest benefits of these programs.   If you're in Milwaukee metro area, Marquette's programs are definitely better at this than other area universities and colleges.  Plus the student population is of a higher caliber.

If you're outside of Milwaukee metro, I'd find a similarly recognized national program in your area.   Top programs are great if you have the means to pay for it or are in a profession that can really take advantage... but any school with a strong network would be great.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2020, 01:55:35 PM »

Despite some of the horrible takes earlier in this thread about lack of networking in MU's part time masters programs, the networking really is one of the greatest benefits of these programs.   If you're in Milwaukee metro area, Marquette's programs are definitely better at this than other area universities and colleges.  Plus the student population is of a higher caliber.

If you're outside of Milwaukee metro, I'd find a similarly recognized national program in your area.   Top programs are great if you have the means to pay for it or are in a profession that can really take advantage... but any school with a strong network would be great.

I second this.  Networking aside, collaboration is also one of the most significant benefits of any MBA program. 

Online MBA's are essentially diploma mills... doesn't matter if it's DeVry or Wharton.  If you simply need a degree to advance your career, online is fine; if you need education to advance your career, online is a waste.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »
I second this.  Networking aside, collaboration is also one of the most significant benefits of any MBA program. 

Online MBA's are essentially diploma mills... doesn't matter if it's DeVry or Wharton.  If you simply need a degree to advance your career, online is fine; if you need education to advance your career, online is a waste.

Collaboration happens on line all of the time these days. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2020, 10:08:13 AM »

Fair question. There are a couple of main benefits pushing me that way. Convenience is one, but curriculum is a big one. The most prestigious program in my area doesn't have the curriculum that I'm interested in. I see an online program as a way to seek out the material I'm interested in regardless of geographical location.

I view focused (online as well) programs as the wave of the future. Many on this thread have remarked that MBAs are a dime a dozen, but there are only 20-30 students in the Master's of Supply Chain programs I'm reviewing. While the networking opportunities might not be as readily available as sitting in a physical business school, you still connect directly with your cohort via conference calls, video calls, the 3 on-campus workshops, etc.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »
Collaboration happens on line all of the time these days.

I would agree. While I prefer to connect in person, I can't ignore the trends. I don't think the "online doesn't count" argument quite reaches the "get off my lawn" mindset, but it's close.

Not that I'm dismissing the feedback, I just would like to hear if anyone has any feedback on the content of similar programs of if they've been beneficial/not beneficial in their careers. I understand that people focus largely on the networking aspect.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:13:57 AM by RideMyBuycks »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
I would agree. While I prefer to connect in person, I can't ignore the trends. I don't think the "online doesn't count" argument quite reaches the "get off my lawn" mindset, but it's close.

Plus, rather than a Milwaukee only point of view that is a limit of in-person, online opens one to wider perspectives, industries, and connections.

FruitStandJim

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »
I don't think I've posted since I created this thread, which was quite a while ago.

I work in produce, and I have a pretty wonky schedule. I'm up and out the door by 4am, in the office around 430am, and out the door by 1pm. Therefore, going the brick and mortar route really isn't an option for me, as classes would run way too late for my schedule.

Though the Marquette online MBA program doesn't do this, a lot of programs now incorporate live sessions into their courses. You meet once a week, just like you're going to class, with your professor and classmates in a video conference for 1.5-2 hours. It's pretty neat.

As far as the Marquette online MBA program, which I am a part of, it's been hit and miss for me. I'm over a year into it, some classes I've enjoyed while some I could have done without. Overall, I've enjoyed my time and I really like the people at Marquette.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2020, 11:29:52 AM »
I don't think I've posted since I created this thread, which was quite a while ago.

I work in produce, and I have a pretty wonky schedule. I'm up and out the door by 4am, in the office around 430am, and out the door by 1pm. Therefore, going the brick and mortar route really isn't an option for me, as classes would run way too late for my schedule.

Though the Marquette online MBA program doesn't do this, a lot of programs now incorporate live sessions into their courses. You meet once a week, just like you're going to class, with your professor and classmates in a video conference for 1.5-2 hours. It's pretty neat.

As far as the Marquette online MBA program, which I am a part of, it's been hit and miss for me. I'm over a year into it, some classes I've enjoyed while some I could have done without. Overall, I've enjoyed my time and I really like the people at Marquette.

I appreciate the feedback. MU's supply chain department is a known quantity for me being one of my undergraduate majors.

There's definitely a benefit to shopping around and connecting with program directors at multiple institutions so you're not going into the curriculum or faculty blind.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »
Plus, rather than a Milwaukee only point of view that is a limit of in-person, online opens one to wider perspectives, industries, and connections.

I would think that geo-diversity has more to do with the institution rather than in-person/online. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2020, 12:32:03 AM »
I would think that geo-diversity has more to do with the institution rather than in-person/online.

Milwaukee industries are skewed toward finance (banking, insurance) and manufacturing (engineering).  Other industries like tech, media/entertainment, software is under represented to what you could attract online.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 10:45:45 AM »
As I was thinking about this over the weekend, are we, as a society, starting to misplace the emphasis we're placing on networking? 

I was first introduced to the concept of networking before the Internet, initially in the context of B2B sales & word-of-mouth advertising and later in the context of discovering job opportunities.  When the Internet came along it completely overhauled the B2B world but perhaps only moved the needle for job opportunities half as much, at most.  I still get networking "inquiries" for business purposes, but most talk of networking I hear today falls into the realm of job opportunities.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discrediting networking in any form, but could we be going to far?  For example, if employers are relying exclusively on their (or their employees') networks for hiring, is this at risk of becoming a different strain of nepotism and/or discrimination?  I'm not saying this is happening today, but it would seem that if there's a job opening somewhere that cannot be found by a qualified candidate without networking, it's not technology that's impeding progress.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 10:55:31 AM »
As I was thinking about this over the weekend, are we, as a society, starting to misplace the emphasis we're placing on networking? 

I was first introduced to the concept of networking before the Internet, initially in the context of B2B sales & word-of-mouth advertising and later in the context of discovering job opportunities.  When the Internet came along it completely overhauled the B2B world but perhaps only moved the needle for job opportunities half as much, at most.  I still get networking "inquiries" for business purposes, but most talk of networking I hear today falls into the realm of job opportunities.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discrediting networking in any form, but could we be going to far?  For example, if employers are relying exclusively on their (or their employees') networks for hiring, is this at risk of becoming a different strain of nepotism and/or discrimination?  I'm not saying this is happening today, but it would seem that if there's a job opening somewhere that cannot be found by a qualified candidate without networking, it's not technology that's impeding progress.

Benny, I am glad you said this because I had similar thoughts.   For instance, in the context of an MBA program, how is networking going to help someone?  And I would argue that other networks...co-workers, professional organizations, volunteer activities, are going to be much more valuable than you sat in an MBA class with.  At least in my opinion.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 09:05:57 PM »

One of my wife's former co-workers had a husband who did an eMBA at ND's "campus" in the loop.  He was not trying to check a box but wanted to get plugged into the ND network.  I'm not sure that it really worked out for him (mostly because he's basically a putz to begin with)

Then the SOB fit right in with the ND Alumni pool of booger eaters, eh?

Death on call

feedback