collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

If all listed candidates were interested and you were making the hiring decision, who would you choose?

Hoiberg
12 (16%)
Buzz
9 (12%)
Archie miller
29 (38.7%)
Chris Mack
17 (22.7%)
Chris holtmann
8 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: March 21, 2017, 09:19:40 PM

Author Topic: Replacing Crean  (Read 5829 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Replacing Crean
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »
I think its amazing that we're talking about the same Steve Alford that almost had to walk the plank at UCLA last year.

What a difference a year makes.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 11:39:30 AM »
I think its amazing that we're talking about the same Steve Alford that almost had to walk the plank at UCLA last year.

What a difference a year player makes.

FIFY

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
Cronin's got his own segment feature running during Madness, he's gone.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »
Cronin's got his own segment feature running during Madness, he's gone.

Anyone been on CBS wearing an IU pin yet?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »
Bozo da Clown wood bee an upgrade, ai na?

dude, IU just canned Bozo da Clown.  why would they rehire him?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »
dude, IU just canned Bozo da Clown.  why would they rehire him?

Lol
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
Why Alford would want to walk back into that fish bowl when he's got 80 degrees every day and all the stuff that goes with it-the "scenery", no shoveling snow, a top 5-10 program with a hell of a legacy and a nice thing going.  Ask Bart Starr.   He can still run the picket fence out west.
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 08:14:40 AM »
Why Alford would want to walk back into that fish bowl when he's got 80 degrees every day and all the stuff that goes with it-the "scenery", no shoveling snow, a top 5-10 program with a hell of a legacy and a nice thing going.  Ask Bart Starr.   He can still run the picket fence out west.

Because Alford is an egomaniac. A kid he recruited at New Mexico decommitted. Alford proceeded to call his high school coach and go "I will ruin his fuc*ing career, I will make sure he never plays D1."

Its all about him.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 11:31:33 AM »
I am shocked no unhinged person mentioned Brad Stevens yet.  Cmon Scoop.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
Maybe Phil Jackson has an itch to get back into coaching...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »

These guys don't even flush for themselves.  You really think they're out there on their heated driveways shoveling their own snow?  C'mon man.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 10:14:59 PM »
Mack attended Xavier and Cronin attended Cinci. I doubt either would leave their alma mater

That's what I was thinking.  Especially with X in the BE.  Indiana isn't a Blue Blood anymore and he is going to be held to the expectation that they are if he leaves X.  Not much upside to that...unless the salary was through the roof. 

The only reason I could see Cronin leave would be because the AAC is a dumpster fire.  That said he did have the brain aneurysms last year and may not want the stress/pressure of I4. 

Archie Miller would be the obvious target as I can see him leaving Dayton for the big leagues. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  Especially with X in the BE.  Indiana isn't a Blue Blood anymore and he is going to be held to the expectation that they are if he leaves X.  Not much upside to that...unless the salary was through the roof. 

The only reason I could see Cronin leave would be because the AAC is a dumpster fire.  That said he did have the brain aneurysms last year and may not want the stress/pressure of I4. 

Archie Miller would be the obvious target as I can see him leaving Dayton for the big leagues.

See that's the thing. You don't have to leave a great job you love any more. Mack can do just as well at Xavier, still make a ton of money (not as much, of course, but still all he will ever need for the rest of his life and his heirs' lives) and not face the ridiculous pressure that comes with a "blueblood" job. Some guys are content right where they are.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
Because Alford is an egomaniac. A kid he recruited at New Mexico decommitted. Alford proceeded to call his high school coach and go "I will ruin his fuc*ing career, I will make sure he never plays D1."

Its all about him.

He said this? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
Brad Stevens said today that he not interested in the IU job and that, ironically for MU fans, he would be a Celtic until the chose to go in another direction.     Don't mess with happy.       The lack of noise on that job tells me they want either Alford or Holtmann.     If the Bruins lose today, look for the chatter to go off the charts. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
Indiana is at a crossroads.  If they miss on the next hire, they are a former elite team and become interchangeable with Purdue as another Big 10 basketball team in the state of Indiana.

Remember, Crean was fired.  Here are some of his sins.

9 Years at IU (2008 - 2017)
Weeks Ranked 75
% of all weeks 38.9%
Highest = 1

Weeks ranked in top 10
27 total
2012 = 1 wks (peak 8)
2013 = 20 wks (peak 1, 9 times)
2016 = 1 wks (peak 10)
2017 = 5 wks (peak 5 twice)

Indiana Final season Kenpom rankings
2012 = 9
2013 = 3
2014 = 63
2015 = 48
2016 = 11
2017 = 47

Again all of the above were not good enough.  And to emphasize, last year IU was S16.  100 days ago they were ranked in the top 5.  Now Crean is unemployed.

Lastly, they are paying a huge $4 million buyout to get rid of Crean. That tells me they are ready to spend in a huge way for the next guy.  So, I would not be surprised if they are prepared to make their next coach the highest paid in basketball history.

So, they will call Brad Stevens/Alford, they will say no thanks.  They will counter with "how does a return to Indiana and $7 to $10 million a year sound?"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:45:19 PM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »
Brad Stevens said today that he not interested in the IU job and that, ironically for MU fans, he would be a Celtic until the chose to go in another direction.     Don't mess with happy.       The lack of noise on that job tells me they want either Alford or Holtmann.     If the Bruins lose today, look for the chatter to go off the charts.

Or Greg Marshall.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 06:21:48 AM »
Indiana is at a crossroads.  If they miss on the next hire, they are a former elite team and become interchangeable with Purdue as another Big 10 basketball team in the state of Indiana.

Weeks Ranked 75
% of all weeks 38.9%
Highest = 1

Weeks ranked in top 10
27 total
2012 = 1 wks (peak 8)
2016 = 1 wks (peak 10)

2012 = 9
2013 = 3
2014 = 63
2015 = 48
2016 = 11
2017 = 47

Again all of the above were not good enough.  And to emphasize, last year IU was S16.  100 days ago they were ranked in the top 5.  Now Crean is unemployed.

Lastly, they are paying a huge $4 million buyout to get rid of Crean. That tells me they are ready to spend in a huge way for the next guy.  So, I would not be surprised if they are prepared to make their next coach the highest paid in basketball history.

So, they will call Brad Stevens/Alford, they will say no thanks.  They will counter with "how does a return to Indiana and $7 to $10 million a year sound?"

Well, we certainly will see over the next couple of weeks exactly how delusional and desperate IU is.

Methinks a lot of both ... but me also thinks Stevens is a pipe dream. And he'd be a fool to go there unless he really, really misses college basketball. He can achieve everything he wants with the NBA's landmark franchise, including getting rich enough to last several lifetimes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:53 AM »
Matt Cummings Covering UCLA basketball and football for @DailyBruin and @UCLARadio. Class of '18. I like numbers when they have to do with sports. Boston born, Bay raised

Matt Cummings‏ @mbcummings15  13 hours ago
Indiana's reported offer to Alford (7 years, $31 million) would make him 5th-highest-paid coach in college basketball. Offer not confirmed.

Jordan Schultz Covering UCLA basketball and football for @DailyBruin and @UCLARadio. Class of '18. I like numbers when they have to do with sports. Boston born, Bay raised

Jordan Schultz‏Verified account @Schultz_Report  13 hours ago
Steve Alford has been offered a 7-year, $31M contract, according to multiple people within this fluid situation. #ucla #indiana

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN  13h13 hours ago
There has been no offer made from Indiana to UCLA's Steve Alford as of now, source close to situation told ESPN.

-----

As far as Goodman's wording about "no offer" ... IU's representative calls Alford's agent and says "We are looking for a new head coach and was wondering if Steve had any thoughts on this search.  We are prepared to offer the next head coach as much as 7 years over $31 million."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:20:31 AM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

brandx

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »

Weeks Ranked 75
% of all weeks 38.9%
Highest = 1

Weeks ranked in top 10
27 total
2012 = 1 wks (peak 8)
2016 = 1 wks (peak 10)

2012 = 9
2013 = 3
2014 = 63
2015 = 48
2016 = 11
2017 = 47

Throw in some Apple stock and they can get any of these guys.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
I am shocked no unhinged person mentioned Brad Stevens yet.  Cmon Scoop.

Come on now, I implied it.

feedback