[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

If all listed candidates were interested and you were making the hiring decision, who would you choose?

Hoiberg
12 (16%)
Buzz
9 (12%)
Archie miller
29 (38.7%)
Chris Mack
17 (22.7%)
Chris holtmann
8 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: March 21, 2017, 09:19:40 PM

Author Topic: Replacing Crean  (Read 5778 times)

AlumKCof93

• All American
Replacing Crean
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »
My guess is most will choose Miller.  As a Big East fan, I'd hate to lose Mack or Holtmann.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Replacing Crean
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:22:11 PM »
I qualify my holtman vote with saying i think he is the best coach.  Considering recruiting being equal. 

Mack is the best recruiter
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
I think Alford might take it. But his buyout at UCLA is YYYUUUUUGE.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
Buzz would be a fish out of water, and Indiana traditionally hasn't played his game.  I went with Hoiberg as the biggest name and the one with IIRC the most sucess as a college coach (unless Buzz out did him).  Pro experienceis also a plus particularly with recruiting.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:27:25 PM »
Would IU become Marquette SE  if Hoiberg got the job?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:38:07 PM »
I chose holtmann.  The only risk would be his limited experience, but you can't argue the results.  I hope he stays at Butler.

I think Mack is very underrated.  He'd be a solid hire.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:42:39 PM »
Superbar

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 09:45:47 PM »
Hope its not Holtman. Stay at Butler and build something.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 09:56:07 PM »
I think Hoiberg is a realistic thought, except for the delay in would require in his hiring, with the length of the NBA season.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »
Miller is the most attractive pick.  NCSU is his alma mater, but IU is the better job.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 10:05:18 PM »
Voted Miller, but Cronin should be getting more consideration.  I get that he's the boring choice, but I think he has the right attitude to manage that high profile a job and that fanbase. If he can bring the consistency he's brought to Cincinnati, and replace the Cincy 3-4 star recruits with Indiana 4-5 star recruits, watch out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
I think Alford might take it. But his buyout at UCLA is YYYUUUUUGE.

A couple of other times that the job has been open since Knight, I was surprised to hear how many in Hoosierland actually didn't like or want Alford. Maybe that's changed, but I think he was viewed as squirmy and duplicitous.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 10:09:21 PM »
Honestly, if its Holtman, Mack, or Cronin, that means that their top several targets all said no. 

Yes they are all good coaches, but they are not going to excite the IU boosters. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
A couple of other times that the job has been open since Knight, I was surprised to hear how many in Hoosierland actually didn't like or want Alford. Maybe that's changed, but I think he was viewed as squirmy and duplicitous.

Yeah they didn't want him last time it was open from why I understand, but I'd have to think with what he's done at UCLA and that style of play he has to be an attractive candidate.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 10:13:51 PM »
Indiana should be thrilled if they can get Cronin. Consistent success at a high major. Indiana's not the blue blood they used to be.

On a different note, I don't get the love for Archie. I feel like he's the hot name because it's assumed nobody would stick around Dayton. But would people really rather have him than Chris Mack? Mack's been at the helm at Xavier for 8 years, and they haven't lost a step from the Sean Miller era. With Davis and Sumner, they'd be a F4 contender this year.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »
Buzz worked the last time.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »

On a different note, I don't get the love for Archie. I feel like he's the hot name because it's assumed nobody would stick around Dayton. But would people really rather have him than Chris Mack? Mack's been at the helm at Xavier for 8 years, and they haven't lost a step from the Sean Miller era. With Davis and Sumner, they'd be a F4 contender this year.

Agree.  Archie has UD in its 4th NCAA in 6 years at UD, and they've only made it past the first weekend 1 time.  Mack has made the NCAA 7 of 8 years at X, and has made it past the first weekend 3 times.  And they'd probably make it again this year absent the loss of Sumner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 10:59:37 PM »
S U P E R B A R

Oh ok. Good
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 11:21:43 PM »
Though it likely won't happen, the thought of Steve "I flamed out at Iowa. and oh yeah, Pierre Pierce" Alford heading up 2 of the legendary programs in college basketball,  without appearing in an Elite 8.   Pretty crazy.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 02:33:54 AM »
Mack attended Xavier and Cronin attended Cinci. I doubt either would leave their alma mater

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 07:45:09 AM »
Bozo da Clown wood bee an upgrade, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
As a Bulls fan, I'd hire Hoiberg at IU.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »
Indiana wouldn't touch Buzz with a ten foot pole.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 09:06:50 AM »
It would be fun to hear about Chico's head exploding.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »

How about Bobo the Clown, a1nal? Sign him to a noine year contract
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »
I think its amazing that we're talking about the same Steve Alford that almost had to walk the plank at UCLA last year.

What a difference a year makes.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 11:39:30 AM »
I think its amazing that we're talking about the same Steve Alford that almost had to walk the plank at UCLA last year.

What a difference a year player makes.

FIFY

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
Cronin's got his own segment feature running during Madness, he's gone.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »
Cronin's got his own segment feature running during Madness, he's gone.

Anyone been on CBS wearing an IU pin yet?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »

dude, IU just canned Bozo da Clown.  why would they rehire him?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »
dude, IU just canned Bozo da Clown.  why would they rehire him?

Lol

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
Why Alford would want to walk back into that fish bowl when he's got 80 degrees every day and all the stuff that goes with it-the "scenery", no shoveling snow, a top 5-10 program with a hell of a legacy and a nice thing going.  Ask Bart Starr.   He can still run the picket fence out west.
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 08:14:40 AM »
Why Alford would want to walk back into that fish bowl when he's got 80 degrees every day and all the stuff that goes with it-the "scenery", no shoveling snow, a top 5-10 program with a hell of a legacy and a nice thing going.  Ask Bart Starr.   He can still run the picket fence out west.

Because Alford is an egomaniac. A kid he recruited at New Mexico decommitted. Alford proceeded to call his high school coach and go "I will ruin his fuc*ing career, I will make sure he never plays D1."

Its all about him.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 11:31:33 AM »
I am shocked no unhinged person mentioned Brad Stevens yet.  Cmon Scoop.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
Maybe Phil Jackson has an itch to get back into coaching...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »

These guys don't even flush for themselves.  You really think they're out there on their heated driveways shoveling their own snow?  C'mon man.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 10:14:59 PM »
Mack attended Xavier and Cronin attended Cinci. I doubt either would leave their alma mater

That's what I was thinking.  Especially with X in the BE.  Indiana isn't a Blue Blood anymore and he is going to be held to the expectation that they are if he leaves X.  Not much upside to that...unless the salary was through the roof. 

The only reason I could see Cronin leave would be because the AAC is a dumpster fire.  That said he did have the brain aneurysms last year and may not want the stress/pressure of I4. 

Archie Miller would be the obvious target as I can see him leaving Dayton for the big leagues. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  Especially with X in the BE.  Indiana isn't a Blue Blood anymore and he is going to be held to the expectation that they are if he leaves X.  Not much upside to that...unless the salary was through the roof. 

The only reason I could see Cronin leave would be because the AAC is a dumpster fire.  That said he did have the brain aneurysms last year and may not want the stress/pressure of I4. 

Archie Miller would be the obvious target as I can see him leaving Dayton for the big leagues.

See that's the thing. You don't have to leave a great job you love any more. Mack can do just as well at Xavier, still make a ton of money (not as much, of course, but still all he will ever need for the rest of his life and his heirs' lives) and not face the ridiculous pressure that comes with a "blueblood" job. Some guys are content right where they are.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
Because Alford is an egomaniac. A kid he recruited at New Mexico decommitted. Alford proceeded to call his high school coach and go "I will ruin his fuc*ing career, I will make sure he never plays D1."

Its all about him.

He said this? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
Brad Stevens said today that he not interested in the IU job and that, ironically for MU fans, he would be a Celtic until the chose to go in another direction.     Don't mess with happy.       The lack of noise on that job tells me they want either Alford or Holtmann.     If the Bruins lose today, look for the chatter to go off the charts. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
Indiana is at a crossroads.  If they miss on the next hire, they are a former elite team and become interchangeable with Purdue as another Big 10 basketball team in the state of Indiana.

Remember, Crean was fired.  Here are some of his sins.

9 Years at IU (2008 - 2017)
Weeks Ranked 75
% of all weeks 38.9%
Highest = 1

Weeks ranked in top 10
27 total
2012 = 1 wks (peak 8)
2013 = 20 wks (peak 1, 9 times)
2016 = 1 wks (peak 10)
2017 = 5 wks (peak 5 twice)

Indiana Final season Kenpom rankings
2012 = 9
2013 = 3
2014 = 63
2015 = 48
2016 = 11
2017 = 47

Again all of the above were not good enough.  And to emphasize, last year IU was S16.  100 days ago they were ranked in the top 5.  Now Crean is unemployed.

Lastly, they are paying a huge $4 million buyout to get rid of Crean. That tells me they are ready to spend in a huge way for the next guy.  So, I would not be surprised if they are prepared to make their next coach the highest paid in basketball history.

So, they will call Brad Stevens/Alford, they will say no thanks.  They will counter with "how does a return to Indiana and $7 to $10 million a year sound?"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:45:19 PM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »
Brad Stevens said today that he not interested in the IU job and that, ironically for MU fans, he would be a Celtic until the chose to go in another direction.     Don't mess with happy.       The lack of noise on that job tells me they want either Alford or Holtmann.     If the Bruins lose today, look for the chatter to go off the charts.

Or Greg Marshall.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 06:21:48 AM »
Indiana is at a crossroads.  If they miss on the next hire, they are a former elite team and become interchangeable with Purdue as another Big 10 basketball team in the state of Indiana.

Weeks Ranked 75
% of all weeks 38.9%
Highest = 1

Weeks ranked in top 10
27 total
2012 = 1 wks (peak 8)
2016 = 1 wks (peak 10)

2012 = 9
2013 = 3
2014 = 63
2015 = 48
2016 = 11
2017 = 47

Again all of the above were not good enough.  And to emphasize, last year IU was S16.  100 days ago they were ranked in the top 5.  Now Crean is unemployed.

Lastly, they are paying a huge $4 million buyout to get rid of Crean. That tells me they are ready to spend in a huge way for the next guy.  So, I would not be surprised if they are prepared to make their next coach the highest paid in basketball history.

So, they will call Brad Stevens/Alford, they will say no thanks.  They will counter with "how does a return to Indiana and $7 to $10 million a year sound?"

Well, we certainly will see over the next couple of weeks exactly how delusional and desperate IU is.

Methinks a lot of both ... but me also thinks Stevens is a pipe dream. And he'd be a fool to go there unless he really, really misses college basketball. He can achieve everything he wants with the NBA's landmark franchise, including getting rich enough to last several lifetimes.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:53 AM »
Matt Cummings Covering UCLA basketball and football for @DailyBruin and @UCLARadio. Class of '18. I like numbers when they have to do with sports. Boston born, Bay raised

Matt Cummings‏ @mbcummings15  13 hours ago
Indiana's reported offer to Alford (7 years, $31 million) would make him 5th-highest-paid coach in college basketball. Offer not confirmed.

Jordan Schultz Covering UCLA basketball and football for @DailyBruin and @UCLARadio. Class of '18. I like numbers when they have to do with sports. Boston born, Bay raised

Jordan Schultz‏Verified account @Schultz_Report  13 hours ago
Steve Alford has been offered a 7-year, $31M contract, according to multiple people within this fluid situation. #ucla #indiana

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN  13h13 hours ago
There has been no offer made from Indiana to UCLA's Steve Alford as of now, source close to situation told ESPN.

-----

As far as Goodman's wording about "no offer" ... IU's representative calls Alford's agent and says "We are looking for a new head coach and was wondering if Steve had any thoughts on this search.  We are prepared to offer the next head coach as much as 7 years over $31 million."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:20:31 AM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

brandx

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »

Weeks Ranked 75
% of all weeks 38.9%
Highest = 1

Weeks ranked in top 10
27 total
2012 = 1 wks (peak 8)
2016 = 1 wks (peak 10)

2012 = 9
2013 = 3
2014 = 63
2015 = 48
2016 = 11
2017 = 47

Throw in some Apple stock and they can get any of these guys.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
I am shocked no unhinged person mentioned Brad Stevens yet.  Cmon Scoop.

Come on now, I implied it.

feedback