'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Crean fired from IU (sad trombone)  (Read 31156 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: Crean fired from IU (sad trombone)
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
Did not like how TC's departure from MU went down, but he truly needs to be recognized for all the good things he did for MU.  4ever and others may want to ridicule him, but he did produce at a high level.  Hope he lands well.

Agreed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
Tubby Smith
Jim Harrick
Eddie Sutton, maybe?

Tubby crossed my mind, but Wikipedia seems to think he resigned, but it certainly could have been one of those "if you don't resign, you're fired" type of deals (Sutton's definitely was).  Harrick took a year off before landing at Rhode Island (not exactly high-major).  Sutton also took a year off before OK State.

What I'm getting at here (obviously) is that Crean's prospects for coaching next season seem rather dim based on the historicals.  Who knows... someone might want to take a flyer on him, but is someone going to pay him $3M+/year?  I don't think Crean's ego would allow him to take a pay cut, at least not right away.  Might be better off going to Michigan and becoming a Director of Player Operations or sumthin'.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »
In a different part of the country, I agree. But I think he's too well known around Chicago because of MU and IU, and those negative feelings are going to hurt his schtick.

Good point. The South Florida job is open.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
i know little about contract law...but i can't believe he's getting 4 million. could they have "re-assigned" him to a BS job till july...or kept him as the coach and just started the search process publicly saying he would be fired in july....and then not have pay him the full $4 million.  i would think it was also to his advantage to get out now. 

oh, and, crean's a prick.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »
See ya!

Go Marquette.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »
Chicos, meanwhile...

You guys gotta let that guy go.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »
My favorite Tom Crean video of all-time can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANsZfk5G8vA
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »

It's always open.  (least it seems like it)
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
It'd be terrible. Nobody would buy Crean's act in Chicago, least of all HS coaches

You're kidding, right.  Depaul would crap themselves with happiness if Tom Crean agreed to be their coach.

A proven program builder with regional ties.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
It's always open.  (least it seems like it)

Yes, but you get the Sun Dolls with that gig. So, you got that goin' for ya, which is nice.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:10:44 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2017, 01:12:19 PM »
I think Crean has touched his ceiling at two different schools.    18 years, 8 years not going to the dance at two high profile schools.   One trip past the sweet 16 and that took Wade.    He is what he is.   What he isn't is a great coach.   He can do rebuilds, but he can't get to an elite level.   His in-game coaching hasn't improved.   His personality hasn't improved.   He will be hired by some power 5 program yearning to get back to respectability.    And, given 5 years, he will bring that program to respectability.    But he won't make them elite. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
I-4 should have let Crean find out he was fired by announcing at a press conference at which Crean wasn't invited but his players were.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »
I think Crean has touched his ceiling at two different schools.    18 years, 8 years not going to the dance at two high profile schools.   One trip past the sweet 16 and that took Wade.    He is what he is.   What he isn't is a great coach.   He can do rebuilds, but he can't get to an elite level.   His in-game coaching hasn't improved.   His personality hasn't improved.   He will be hired by some power 5 program yearning to get back to respectability.    And, given 5 years, he will bring that program to respectability.    But he won't make them elite.
Respectability is a many splendored thing.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
What does he bring to the table as an NBA coach?  His forte was recruiting.

He can gameplan and prepare like few in the business.  It's when the bullets start flying that he hides in his pants.  He has value on an NBA bench in terms of game prep.

I mean I can't stand the dude but he spent 18 years at the D1 level, some NBA team would hire him. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
His 18 year track record tells the story.    He is a good recruiter, an enthusiastic cheerleader.    He is a poor in-game coach.    His skill set has a ceiling.    And his personality has a best-if-used-by date. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2017, 01:37:51 PM »
He takes South Florida job, he wouldn't need the tanning bed as much.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
He takes South Florida job, he wouldn't need the tanning bed as much.

Hah.  From a guy that doesn't throw out many jokes, that's pure gold.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
Tubby crossed my mind, but Wikipedia seems to think he resigned, but it certainly could have been one of those "if you don't resign, you're fired" type of deals (Sutton's definitely was).  Harrick took a year off before landing at Rhode Island (not exactly high-major).  Sutton also took a year off before OK State.

What I'm getting at here (obviously) is that Crean's prospects for coaching next season seem rather dim based on the historicals.  Who knows... someone might want to take a flyer on him, but is someone going to pay him $3M+/year?  I don't think Crean's ego would allow him to take a pay cut, at least not right away.  Might be better off going to Michigan and becoming a Director of Player Operations or sumthin'.
As I recall, Tubby quit because among other things, fans were posting derogatory signs in his yard etc. so he must have seen the writing on the wall.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »

Brian Gregory was hired there

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »
Brian Gregory was hired there

Didn't realize that. Talk about uninspiring, even for USF.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »
Tubby Smith
Jim Harrick
Eddie Sutton, maybe?

Bobby Knight basically did.  Only reason he took a season off is because he was fired in September.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »
DePaul is a perfect fit for Crean right now.  Wonder if they will even have a discussion about moving from Leitao to Crean within the athletic department.  Probably not.  They're most likely going gaga over their women's team going to the tournament.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2017, 02:14:06 PM »
Tom Crean is the Charlie Sykes of coaching all about him and only him.  Gasbag jerks.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »
DePaul is a perfect fit for Crean right now.  Wonder if they will even have a discussion about moving from Leitao to Crean within the athletic department.  Probably not.  They're most likely going gaga over their women's team going to the tournament.
Crean will get better offers than DePaul.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »

DePaul spend money?  And a departed coach?  Umm, no.

feedback