[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bad to worse for Georgetown  (Read 17588 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Bad to worse for Georgetown
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
DePaul did the same thing with the Meyers and look where it got them.

Yikes!

DePaul waited too long before pulling the trigger.  Georgetown should take note.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »
Georgetown > Illinois

Why?

D.C. versus Champaign-Urbana.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
Georgetown > Illinois

Why?

D.C. versus Champaign-Urbana.

Crap city yes, but Chambana is one hell of a weekend.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »
The only way for everybody to save face is for JTIII to resign .
His firing would be a public relations nightmare. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »
Lower level contact in G'Town athletics says he is only fired if JT Jr. endorses.  Resignation is possible.  JT Jr. still has a lot of power.

Nothing the astute observers on Scoop haven't already come up with.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
Sometimes you have to make a clean break.  I think now is the time.

glow

While I do not disagree with you, as a Prep alum, I know for a fact that Jr is a water walker who exerts incredible influence in many areas within that ecosystem.

Pissing off Jr would be worse than Marquette alienating Al in that Al stayed in touch after coaching but wasn't involved in the strategic direction of the program and the university. Jr is very much a part of GU's leadership.

For what it's worth, III has a .700 winning record at GU and single-handedly got the new practice facility built. It is a magnificent facility which happens to be named for his father.

The discussion within GU circles focuses on this question: If not JTIII then who?

GU alums place a huge amount of blame for the program's downturn on the conference. They will tell you that JTIII has a decade of national prominence, including 7 straight top ten seasons; the hard times began with the collapse of the Big East.

The decline in luster is directly correlated with the NBE and if they fire III they are more likely to get a Craig Esherick than a successful, established, proven DI winner.

JTIII's biggest issue is that his team's stopped playing defense - they have ranked near the bottom for the past 4 seasons (sound familiar??) But III runs a clean program, he is a fantastic ambassador of the university, the administration and alums respect him, and he has demonstrated a willingness to alter his tactical reliance on Princeton sets.

The Waters defection is concerning because GU has long been known as a big man program - a rep that became more acute under III due to his Princeton style offense. A highly rated PG committing to III was crucial as it coincided with his willingness to push the ball more in transition as well as implementing a full court press on defense.

I am certain that Jr, DiGioia, and Reed have had a long conversation with III about the state of the program and his stewardship of it. I think he gets one more year, at least, to get his sh1t together. Losing Waters will hurt because much of their recent struggles on offense have been entirely due to the lack of an actual PG.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 12:51:03 PM »
Marquette had no reason to alienate Al.  Allie McGuire wasn't coaching the team, leading to poorer results by the year however.  What's happening at Georgetown is similar to what happened at DePaul.  They are hoping that the son of a legend can regain form and lead them to more positive results. But using history as a guide, DePaul waiting too long to jettison Joey Meyer.  Georgetown would be well versed to learn some lessons from them.

Why would the Big East bear the brunt of the blame for the regression of Big East basketball?  That makes no sense.  Their recruiting has been fine.  Other teams have handled the transition just fine.   

And regardless, what choice does Georgetown have?  Are they going to drop to the A10?  They either have adapt or continue to be mediocre.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »
...and single-handedly got the new practice facility built. It is a magnificent facility which happens to be named for his father.

Crash, have you seen/toured?  I haven't, but I heard it's outstanding.  Rave reviews and increased excitement at our place.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »
Peak as gowne as Hank was the second he committed to MU ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 08:38:40 PM »

GU alums place a huge amount of blame for the program's downturn on the conference. They will tell you that JTIII has a decade of national prominence, including 7 straight top ten seasons; the hard times began with the collapse of the Big East.

I don't doubt that GTown fans feel that way, but the reality is that the conference is still very strong.  In fact, if the conference is as weak as their theory would indicate, they should be dominating it year after year (like Wichita State, Gonzaga or Memphis before the AAC).  Instead, they've moved from a top-half team in the conference to a bottom-half team. 

Yes, it was a hit to lose teams like UConn, UL, and Cuse, but GTown fans can't realistically blame their team's demise on the realignment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:06 PM »
Yes, it was a hit to lose teams like UConn, UL, and Cuse, but GTown fans can't realistically blame their team's demise on the realignment.
95% (at least) of fans aren't realistic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »
95% (at least) of fans aren't realistic.

Hard to argue with that....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
I don't doubt that GTown fans feel that way, but the reality is that the conference is still very strong.  In fact, if the conference is as weak as their theory would indicate, they should be dominating it year after year (like Wichita State, Gonzaga or Memphis before the AAC).  Instead, they've moved from a top-half team in the conference to a bottom-half team. 

It was a hit for Gtown not so much for the Conference. UConn and Syracuse were their rivals, but both programs as is Gtown are all struggling right now. Once Pitino retires UL won't be the same as they are now as well.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 11:09:44 AM »
It was a hit for Gtown not so much for the Conference. UConn and Syracuse were their rivals, but both programs as is Gtown are all struggling right now. Once Pitino retires UL won't be the same as they are now as well.

I'm sure that was said about Denny Crum. Great history, decent city, one of the two greatest college basketball rivalries and the ACC. It'll be fine.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
Tremont Waters named CT Gatorade player of the year.

(Corrected.  That's what I get typing on my phone in the middle of a super visit.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:52:45 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »
I know several GU alums who are big basketball fans and I've never heard them use the NBE as an excuse for recent struggles.

IMO it's probably best for Georgetown to give JTIII another year and then move on once they likely have another bad year.  They might be afraid of the alternative, but the status quo is pretty brutal right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 12:04:23 PM »
Casual Hoyas saying they have unconfirmed reports JTIII has been fired.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »
Reporting on ESPN.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »
glow

While I do not disagree with you, as a Prep alum, I know for a fact that Jr is a water walker who exerts incredible influence in many areas within that ecosystem.

Pissing off Jr would be worse than Marquette alienating Al in that Al stayed in touch after coaching but wasn't involved in the strategic direction of the program and the university. Jr is very much a part of GU's leadership.

For what it's worth, III has a .700 winning record at GU and single-handedly got the new practice facility built. It is a magnificent facility which happens to be named for his father.

The discussion within GU circles focuses on this question: If not JTIII then who?

The decline in luster is directly correlated with the NBE and if they fire III they are more likely to get a Craig Esherick than a successful, established, proven DI winner.

JTIII's biggest issue is that his team's stopped playing defense - they have ranked near the bottom for the past 4 seasons (sound familiar??) But III runs a clean program, he is a fantastic ambassador of the university, the administration and alums respect him, and he has demonstrated a willingness to alter his tactical reliance on Princeton sets.

The Waters defection is concerning because GU has long been known as a big man program - a rep that became more acute under III due to his Princeton style offense. A highly rated PG committing to III was crucial as it coincided with his willingness to push the ball more in transition as well as implementing a full court press on defense.

I am certain that Jr, DiGioia, and Reed have had a long conversation with III about the state of the program and his stewardship of it. I think he gets one more year, at least, to get his sh1t together. Losing Waters will hurt because much of their recent struggles on offense have been entirely due to the lack of an actual PG.

Are we still on the topic of hubris?

First Washington, now this.

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 11:51:02 PM »
I could see Crean fitting in great at G'town.

- Tight with Paul T (running the search)
- Big East experience
- Fresh energy to the program
- Fans are more patient out east

Calling it now (no teal): Crean to Georgetown

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
Crean ta Gannon Community College, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2017, 12:10:10 PM »
I could see Crean fitting in great at G'town.

- Tight with Paul T (running the search)
- Big East experience
- Fresh energy to the program
- Fans are more patient out east

Calling it now (no teal): Crean to Georgetown

Ha. Not a chance.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 03:06:25 AM »
Crash, have you seen/toured?  I haven't, but I heard it's outstanding.  Rave reviews and increased excitement at our place.

I did. It is magnificent. Caters to all sports. Very, very well done.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2017, 03:11:39 AM »

Unlike others here, I am sure you understand I am relating the views of friends of mine who matriculated at GU. There is a pronounced view among GU alums that the conference is diminished in stature. In fact, they are correct in that view. But to suggest that is correlated to the downturn in GU hoops is problematic.

The Big East is nothing like the old conference. But that isn't the primary reason why GU is struggling on the court.

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2017, 05:44:07 AM »
Diminished in stature in the same way that Golden State isn't having as good a regular season as they had a year ago.    The Big East of 8-10 years ago was amazing.     No doubt about it.    And then it collapsed due to the money grab that is football.   The current iteration of the Big East, though not the same, is still damn good (see conference rankings this year and Villanova last year) and the absolute best that non-football schools within a certain geographic footprint could have achieved.   To complain about it and blame it for a downturn in basketball fortunes labels you as a whiner. 
   It will be interesting to see who Georgetown gets to be their next coach.    And whoever it is, it will be a measuring stick and should send a message to fans of other Big East programs to be careful before clamoring to be rid of their current coach. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.