[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bad to worse for Georgetown  (Read 17446 times)

GGGG

• All American
Bad to worse for Georgetown
« on: March 11, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
Their top rated recruit, Tremont Waters, just asked for his release.

http://sportzedge.com/2017/03/11/report-tremont-waters-requests-release-from-georgetown/

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Bad to worse for Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »
JTIII needs to go

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »
Oh boy, that's really bad for them.  Trouble brewing....

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »
And bad for the conference- helluva player.  I guess the only good would be if this triggers G'Town to make the coaching move now with a coach who turns out to be the right move.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:22:57 PM »
Tremont 2 Marquette.
Have some patience, FFS.

nyg

• All American

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brandx

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 11:44:05 PM »
Nepotism is good - at least for the nepotee.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
While we wait for Selection Sunday.....
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »
The print version in this morning's New Haven Register had a lot more info but it's not available online (yet).  But it's sounds like the JTIII uncertainty has him rethinking his commit to Georgetown.

http://sportzedge.com/2017/03/11/report-tremont-waters-requests-release-from-georgetown/

Report: Tremont Waters requests release from Georgetown

(WTNH)–Notre Dame-West Haven point guard Tremont Waters has requested a release of his commitment to Georgetown, according to ESPN recruiting analyst Adam Finkelstein.

TWITTER
Adam Finkelstein ✔ @AdamFinkelstein
ESPN 100 PG Tremont Waters has requested a release from Georgetown per his father.
7:03 PM - 11 Mar 2017

Waters, who led the Green Knights to an undefeated regular season and the No. 1 overall seed in the Class LL tournament, is the 33rd-ranked player in ESPN’s Top 100, and the 8th-ranked point guard nationally.

He committed to Georgetown back in October, but since then the Hoyas have had a disappointing season and rumors about head coach John Thompson III’s status have been swirling.

Georgetown finished 14-18 and was bounced in the first round of the Big East tournament by St. John’s.

Waters also received offers from UConn, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Indiana and Yale.

More stories by Kels Dayton, WTNH.com Staff

Share this:
TwitterFacebook46GoogleMore

GGGG

• All American
Re: While we wait for Selection Sunday.....
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 09:10:57 AM »
Brought up in the Superbar.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 09:15:01 AM »
Tremont 2 Marquette.

Would he be barred from any BIG East school according to Conference rules?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »
Would he be barred from any BIG East school according to Conference rules?

Didn't think I needed the teal.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 09:21:50 AM »
I see this as meaning one of two things:

1) Waters knows JT3 is on his way out and wants out ahead of the ensuing storm.
2) JT3 has lost the faith of his recruit(s) and possibly players and should be fired.

Either way, he should be gone. The difficulty here is that Georgetown will want to act quickly to replace him, but are hamstrung by the start of the tournament. If they want to move on a Will Wade or Danny Hurley, they will likely have to wait until their postseasons are over.

I'd be curious to see the interest in Georgetown as a job right now. I have to imagine they can afford to pay going rates, they play in a top league, access to fertile recruiting grounds, national brand, a NBA arena, and a major market. If the Wizards move to a new arena (Leonsis hinted at one 6 years down the road) the Hoyas might follow. It still seems like a good job, can't imagine it's lost too much luster yet. Is there a better opening in the country right now?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »

2) JT3 has lost the faith of his recruit(s) and possibly players and should be fired.

Either way, he should be gone. The difficulty here is that Georgetown will want to act quickly to replace him, but are hamstrung by the start of the tournament. If they want to move on a Will Wade or Danny Hurley, they will likely have to wait until their postseasons are over.

I'd be curious to see the interest in Georgetown as a job right now. I have to imagine they can afford to pay going rates, they play in a top league, access to fertile recruiting grounds, national brand, a NBA arena, and a major market. If the Wizards move to a new arena (Leonsis hinted at one 6 years down the road) the Hoyas might follow. It still seems like a good job, can't imagine it's lost too much luster yet. Is there a better opening in the country right now?

Depends on how difficult the Thompsons will make it for a replacement.  If they want to make waves, I think the Illinois job is better.

That's why I wonder if they would like at Patrick Ewing as a replacement.  Longtime NBA assistant that I think the Thompsons might grudgingly accept.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »

Not to mention being a prestigious school academically.

If it opens up,  and barring any surprises at other schools, it will definitely be the best available coaching job this year.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »

If they want to make waves, I think the Illinois job is better.

If I were a coach I wouldn't take the Illinois job simply because of the terrible financial shape of the state of Illinois, and more specifically, the Illinois university system.  It is only a matter of time before they start taking resources away from athletics.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:53:40 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »

Depends on how difficult the Thompsons will make it for a replacement.  If they want to make waves, I think the Illinois job is better.

That's why I wonder if they would like at Patrick Ewing as a replacement.  Longtime NBA assistant that I think the Thompsons might grudgingly accept.

Sometimes you have to make a clean break.  I think now is the time.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »

I'll be interested to see how involved the Thompsons would be. Will JT3 look for another job? I think he would thrive at a lower level, but since he's started trying to adapt his style to more up-tempo, it seems like results have gone steadily downhill. Ewing would be an interesting choice, and be in the "keeping up with the Johnses" line of thinking after the Mullin hire has started to show results. Personally, I think disconnecting from the Thompsons is the best thing they could do, but not sure how viable that is when it comes to alumni relations.

I think Illinois is the most overrated job out there. Their last coaching search was an absolute trainwreck. They thought Shaka Smart would come if they tripled his salary, but he had no interest. Brad Stevens got the call, but didn't accept an interview. Then Lorenzo Romar, Anthony Grant, and Leonard Hamilton got calls and said thanks but no thanks. Groce was at best their sixth choice for the job.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
I'll be interested to see how involved the Thompsons would be. Will JT3 look for another job? I think he would thrive at a lower level, but since he's started trying to adapt his style to more up-tempo, it seems like results have gone steadily downhill. Ewing would be an interesting choice, and be in the "keeping up with the Johnses" line of thinking after the Mullin hire has started to show results. Personally, I think disconnecting from the Thompsons is the best thing they could do, but not sure how viable that is when it comes to alumni relations.

I think Illinois is the most overrated job out there. Their last coaching search was an absolute trainwreck. They thought Shaka Smart would come if they tripled his salary, but he had no interest. Brad Stevens got the call, but didn't accept an interview. Then Lorenzo Romar, Anthony Grant, and Leonard Hamilton got calls and said thanks but no thanks. Groce was at best their sixth choice for the job.

How committed is Gtown to the Conference after reorganization. They were pretty opposed to Creighton joining and I don't remember why. They have a good basketball tradition but is the School admin more similar to MU or DePaul when it comes to basketball. The reason I mention Depaul is that it too had a Father/Son succession and we know how that turned out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »
Georgetown doesn't really have much choice other than being committed to the Big East.  They don't have better offers.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
How committed is Gtown to the Conference after reorganization. They were pretty opposed to Creighton joining and I don't remember why. They have a good basketball tradition but is the School admin more similar to MU or DePaul when it comes to basketball. The reason I mention Depaul is that it too had a Father/Son succession and we know how that turned out.

They just built the Thompson Center practice facility. They are strong in most Olympic sports. Creighton was opposed because of travel, Olympic sports, and East Coast bias (Syracuse and UCONN missed). Even though Nova and MU were the two brainchilds of reforming, Georgetown wanted to control, which their bevy of lawyers helped with the decoupling and keeping MSG.

Their board has a mega thread on JTIII, and many are blaming that thread for the decommit. They need to figure it out quick as the indecision is worse than the decision at this point on the coach.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »
Georgetown doesn't really have much choice other than being committed to the Big East.  They don't have better offers.

This exactly. Where would they go? The ACC isn't looking for any non-football members, and I can't see any way Georgetown would want to go to the A-10 or CAA.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »
Could the Georgetown opening maybe entice someone like Tommy Amaker (and would Georgetown be interested)?  Big schools have targeted him before, but they didn't want to give up the wife's prestigious job.  Georgetown, although no Harvard, is still quite prestigious. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »
They just built the Thompson Center practice facility. They are strong in most Olympic sports.

I think that the JT Center just opening -- complete with a nice big statue of JT -- complicates matters somewhat.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.  JT will always be a huge part of what goes on at GU, and I just don't know how that will work if JTIII gets fired.

If JTIII gets fired (or resigns), I'll be very interested to see how they handle that.  I wonder if they'll spend the money to get a top-level coach.  Probably.  But in many respects, GU seems very cost conscious in how it handles athletics.  I'm not sure that applies to MBB.  Which is understandable since it's MBB that finances everything else.  The new facility -- which is beautiful -- is driven by the needs of the MBB program and much of the space is devoted to MBB.  But it absolutely is a nice benefit for all of the other programs.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »
Sometimes you have to make a clean break.  I think now is the time.

DePaul did the same thing with the Meyers and look where it got them.

Yikes!

feedback