[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: CREAN  (Read 10406 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: CREAN
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:56:42 AM »
I am not really much of a Crean fan, but IU fans are an increasingly delusional sort.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
From the article

With the loss to Wisconsin, Indiana is likely headed to the NIT, meaning it will miss the NCAA Tournament just a year removed from playing in the regional semifinal and winning the Big Ten regular-season title. It is not the result any fan, nor Crean himself, likely envisioned when the season started.

IU is 18-15 (7-11) and tied 10th in the B1G (with tOSU)

The NIT has 32 spots and they will take all the regular season conference champs that did not win their conference tourney and get an automatic spot in the NCAA tourney.  So depending on the number of mid-major conference upsets, their are only 10 to 15 at-large NIT spots.  And if the B1G gets 7 NCAA spots, the NIT would have to take four B1G teams for IU to make it.   If the NCAA takes 6 B1G, teams, then the NIT would have to take 5 B1G teams for IU to make it.

My point is i think IU getting into the NIT is a long shot.  Agree?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:49:07 PM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »
Following up on my post above...

Illinois just canned Groce.  Illinois was 18-14 (8-10). Ranked higher than IU.

Crean can call it a season.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »
NIT Bracketology has Indiana as a 3 seed...

http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 06:26:34 PM »
NIT Bracketology has Indiana as a 3 seed...

http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

They also  have Illinois as a 2 seed.  So prestigious to make the NIT that the Illini fired their coach the day before the bids come out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
They also  have Illinois as a 2 seed.  So prestigious to make the NIT that the Illini fired their coach the day before the bids come out.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
Ok you motivated me to look it up ...

2014 Indiana was shut out of post season

Record = 17-15
KenPom SOS  = 155
KenPom = 63
RPI = 110

This year

Record = 18-15
KenPom SOS  = 36
KenPom = 42
RPI = 79

I remembered their 2014 record as being the same and they did not make the NIT.  But I did not dig deep enough to see this year SOS was much tougher so they are much higher rated even though the record is the same.  The B1G is soft at the top relative to previous years so I took that to mean they were soft all the way down.  That is not true.

So with essentially the same record that kept Indiana out of the NIT 3 years ago they should be good enough to get in this year. 

Other thoughts ...

I wonder if Illinois firing their coach changes the NIT selection decision about them going to the their tourney?

Does IU wait until the NIT is over to can Crean?  If he makes the NIT FF and survives two more weeks, would that change the decision as other coaches get scooped up in the interim?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:13:19 AM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 01:38:54 AM »
I wonder if Illinois firing their coach changes the NIT selection decision about them going to the their tourney?

Nope.  Illinois got a NIT #2 seed, and their assistant coach has taken over as interim HC.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-illinois-nit-bracket-20170312-story.html

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 06:54:19 AM »
Ruined the program? If I remember that program was a dumpster fire when he joined

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 07:07:39 AM »
Cream has plateaued at IU, just like he did at Marquette.  He has never been past the second weekend without Dwayne Wade.  In 18 years.  He can build a program, but his track record is that he can only take a program so far. 
        The personality issues don't matter.  Nobody can please everybody.   
     The 18 year track record says he is a solid coach, but  not an elite one.   And IU fans want championships.   The interesting question to me is who will IU pursue that actually wants that job.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 08:57:40 AM »
Cream has plateaued at IU, just like he did at Marquette.  He has never been past the second weekend without Dwayne Wade.  In 18 years.  He can build a program, but his track record is that he can only take a program so far. 
     The 18 year track record says he is a solid coach, but  not an elite one.   And IU fans want championships.   The interesting question to me is who will IU pursue that actually wants that job.

I honestly think that, similar to John Groce, Crean is a mid-major coach. He can recruit talent but can't necessarily coach that talent. A coach can be reasonably successful at mid-majors simply by having one of the most talented rosters in the conference or even having 1-2 of the most talented players. In big-time conferences with big-time coaches, pure talent can only take a team so far.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
I think he is better than a mid-major coach.    He just isn't an elite coach and he isn't going to take a program to the heights.    He does a nice job on rebuilds.   Both MU and IU were rebuilds when he got there.    But his defense has never been stellar.   His offense, for all of his fabled 3000 play playbook, is predictable, particularly at crunch time.     His programs have been far from wart-free when it comes to off court incidents.  (though I don't actually blame him for that.   18-22 year old males are knuckleheads)

He will get his butt kicked with regularity if he goes to NCSU.  He will be gone in 3 years there.    He has a chance to have a nice run if he goes to Missouri, but he will never get past the sweet 16 there, either.   
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:31:49 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »
Nope.  Illinois got a NIT #2 seed, and their assistant coach has taken over as interim HC.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-illinois-nit-bracket-20170312-story.html

Watch Illinois win the NIT and put pressure on the AD to name the interim as the permanent head coach.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 10:23:46 AM »

He's also dealt with season ending injuries to a key player multiple times and has had multiple early entrant departures.

The program got to a level quicker then it could handle building a foundation to overcome those injuries and departures, comparative to Kansas or Duke or Kentucky which is where the Hoosiers faitfthul believe they belong by birthright.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »
I agree with the argument that this year's team was hamstrung by injuries.  IF Crean is fired (not convinced it will happen yet, though I acknowledge the strong possibility), I think Cronin is the leading candidate. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:36:08 AM by tower912 »

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
Regarding the link in the OP, what is Crean pointing at? The guy wasn't vulgar or even particularly offensive. Can somebody be ejected for something like that?

I'd love to see Crean go after somebody and get pummeled.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
Why is Indiana on the road as the better seed vs. Georgia Tech?  I noticed they are the only lower seed playing on the road.  They could have played March 14th or 15th.

I see they say there are two explanations:  "ongoing renovations" and because the students are on spring break.  Seems strange.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
Why is Indiana on the road as the better seed vs. Georgia Tech?  I noticed they are the only lower seed playing on the road.  They could have played March 14th or 15th.

I see they say there are two explanations:  "ongoing renovations" and because the students are on spring break.  Seems strange.

Crean didn't want a repeat of the Western  Michigan disaster (i.e. a home game in an half empty/fully disinterested arena).

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
Crean didn't want a repeat of the Western  Michigan disaster (i.e. a home game in an half empty/fully disinterested arena).

Pretty much.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/03/13/doyel-proof-iu-crean-marriage-isnt-working/99118574/

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »
Regarding the link in the OP, what is Crean pointing at? The guy wasn't vulgar or even particularly offensive. Can somebody be ejected for something like that?

I'd love to see Crean go after somebody and get pummeled.

He disrespected Crean to his face.  He'd never confront him back, but he sure as hell will send a minion to try and get him tossed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 05:22:26 AM »
I'm guessing that if we didn't know Crean one iota and if Wojo were to leave MU next month after having led us to the Elite 8, we would be clamoring to hire a proven winner like Crean.

I think his reputation in the college basketball coaching circles is a lot better than most Scoopers' opinions of him.

In Crean's case (and Buzz's for many/most), familiarity really has bred contempt.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 06:40:30 AM »
I'm guessing that if we didn't know Crean one iota and if Wojo were to leave MU next month after having led us to the Elite 8, we would be clamoring to hire a proven winner like Crean.

I think his reputation in the college basketball coaching circles is a lot better than most Scoopers' opinions of him.

In Crean's case (and Buzz's for many/most), familiarity really has bred contempt.

Most media people understand that Crean is an egomaniac and a really weird dude. Can't speak for other fan bases though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 07:16:28 AM »

I disagree.  Would we as a fanbase want a coach with:
1. 10 NCAA  appearances in 18 years.
2.  One trip past the sweet sixteen.
3.  Multiple off court issues.

Pretty sure  there would be outrage.

feedback