collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 266346 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1725 on: October 16, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
Simple fix. Unless there is a mound visit, you throw a pitch in 20 seconds from the time a pitcher gets the ball back in his hand or a ball is called

Pitchers would adjust quickly and game times would be shorter. And, if the batter decides to not be in the batter's box? Too bad. The pitch stands.

Something like that is actually in the works. They've added the clock to the majors, though nothing enforced yet. I believe they experiment with it in some minor leagues.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1726 on: October 16, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
after Puig got on second there were a LOT of mound visits and steps off the mound.  50? no, but there were way too many.  You can fault your manager for having Lackey in but he was never allowed to get into any kind of rhythm.  Ya gotta admit it was unusual at a minimum.

At any normal time I would have found it simply ridiculous.  But in that situation in the bottom of the 9th with the winning run in scoring position I was okay.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: October 16, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
after Puig got on second there were a LOT of mound visits and steps off the mound.  50? no, but there were way too many.  You can fault your manager for having Lackey in but he was never allowed to get into any kind of rhythm.  Ya gotta admit it was unusual at a minimum.

Definitely.  But until there is some sort of rule to limit visits I'd prefer they get on the same page in a situation of that magnitude.  Obviously didn't end up making a difference. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: October 17, 2017, 07:55:39 AM »
Yes, 50.   ::)

Wow, did you not get the hyperbole there?

Clearly it wasn't 50.  But he was a rain delay.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: October 17, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »

He freaks out over any perceived slight on anything the Chicago Cubs do, whether it's obvious hyperbole/sarcasm or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: October 17, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »

Absolutely got it.  Thought it was silly based on the magnitude of the situation and a SP in an unfamiliar role.

He freaks out over any perceived slight on anything the Chicago Cubs do, whether it's obvious hyperbole/sarcasm or not.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: October 17, 2017, 09:40:46 AM »
Absolutely got it.  Thought it was silly based on the magnitude of the situation and a SP in an unfamiliar role.

Exhibit 1,000.

I'll respond for you: What do you mean exhibit 1,000?!  I only have 600 posts!  It's not possible to have 1,000 exhibits when I haven't posted 1,000 times!  Genius!  Silly use of hyperbole!  (Insert cute GIF here)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1732 on: October 17, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
Exhibit 1,000.

I'll respond for you: What do you mean exhibit 1,000?!  I only have 600 posts!  It's not possible to have 1,000 exhibits when I haven't posted 1,000 times!  Genius!  Silly use of hyperbole!  (Insert cute GIF here)

Disappointing effort. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: October 17, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »
Absolutely got it.  Thought it was silly based on the magnitude of the situation

Ok, but I think 2 separate mound trips without throwing a pitch is silly.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: October 17, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »
No doubt the catcher was saying the same things over and over again.  We all know how pointless that is.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1735 on: October 17, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »
No doubt the catcher was saying the same things over and over again.  We all know how pointless that is.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: October 17, 2017, 11:29:47 AM »
Ok, but I think 2 separate mound trips without throwing a pitch is silly.

It was a little much but based on the situation I understand it and am fine with it.  Contreras is a young catcher but unfortunately his instructions not to throw a meatball over the middle of the plate weren't followed. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1737 on: October 17, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
As a Brewer fan, I don't have much experience with playoff baseball. Is the using the starters in relief a new thing? I understand wanting your best arms in the game, but at some point, you have to do what got you there. Relief is so different than starting. I can see as a long reliever to eat innings, but not 1 or 2 inning stints.

It's not a new thing. But the reason you have noticed it is that it is happening much more often.

Over 25% of all relief innings this post-season have been pitched by starting pitchers. That is about twice as much as has been done historically.

For example, in 2013 it was 10%. 13% in 2014. And, after jumping to 20% in 2015, it was back down under 12% last year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »
A little play that I wish my little league team all watched together.  On the bases clearing double by the Astros, the Yankees cut the throw to the plate and caught the runner too far around second.  Aaron Judge was covering second and applied the tag, ending the rundown.  My 10 year old jumped up yelling "dad, that's what you are always telling us to do!   Move and back somebody up.". A little thing, but something that actually makes me like Judge.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: October 17, 2017, 11:08:52 PM »
0-27 against dodger relievers at the time of this post. Say what you want about pitching and Joe's mound choices. But you can't win if you can't hit and the cubs have been eating cold soup the entire playoffs.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1740 on: October 17, 2017, 11:24:40 PM »
0-27 against dodger relievers at the time of this post. Say what you want about pitching and Joe's mound choices. But you can't win if you can't hit and the cubs have been eating cold soup the entire playoffs.

Yep. Cubs have just been dominated.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1741 on: October 17, 2017, 11:34:15 PM »
Yep. Cubs have just been dominated.

Wrong time to go cold. Saw it against the Nats but they squeezed out some wins and then the nationals gifted them game 5.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1742 on: October 18, 2017, 12:23:24 AM »
Wrong time to go cold. Saw it against the Nats but they squeezed out some wins and then the nationals gifted them game 5.

Honestly, it felt like neither the Nats or the Cubs deserved to win that series.

Now, combine the Dodgers playing well and the Cubs struggling and you have this outcome. I'm not even upset - just a bit frustrated and disappointed. Thank God we won last year or those feelings would be much different.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: October 18, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »
This whole Cubs season has really been a bit of a struggle. Well, as much of a struggle as it can be for a 92-win team in the NLCS. It just hasn't had the same feel as 2016 or even 2008. This is a very good team with some obvious flaws - the lead-off spot has never been figured out, pitching has been inconsistent, defense is average, huge reliance on HRs, etc.

Assuming they lose 1 of these next 4, it'll be a disappointing end to the season but it's hard to be disappointed in this season as a whole. They won the division and made it to the NLCS. Only 4 of the last 10 WS champs have even made the playoffs. This team also projects to be good for a number of years going forward. They'll need to fill some rotation spots (bring back Arrieta? Alex Cobb? Yu Darvish? Make a trade?) and get the lead-off spot sorted out (Almora?). I trust that Jed and Theo will get that done.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: October 18, 2017, 10:26:31 AM »
This whole Cubs season has really been a bit of a struggle. Well, as much of a struggle as it can be for a 92-win team in the NLCS. It just hasn't had the same feel as 2016 or even 2008. This is a very good team with some obvious flaws - the lead-off spot has never been figured out, pitching has been inconsistent, defense is average, huge reliance on HRs, etc.

Assuming they lose 1 of these next 4, it'll be a disappointing end to the season but it's hard to be disappointed in this season as a whole. They won the division and made it to the NLCS. Only 4 of the last 10 WS champs have even made the playoffs. This team also projects to be good for a number of years going forward. They'll need to fill some rotation spots (bring back Arrieta? Alex Cobb? Yu Darvish? Make a trade?) and get the lead-off spot sorted out (Almora?). I trust that Jed and Theo will get that done.

Thats sort of where I'm at.  I watched last night with some initially anger, but then mostly disappointment and resignation.  They just don't have it.  Pitchers were just a bit off, we haven't had much timely hitting, and Maddon has been all over the place.  Losing Dexter Fowler hurt this team a lot more than people expected.

It was a great season with a slightly disappointing ending.  3 straight NLCS and a WS ring is incredible.  The oldest member of that core is Rizzo (crazy to realize that Heyward is only 28).  They are set up to contend for a long time.  So its hard to be super upset.  But I wish they went out with more of a fight.  They've just been so lifeless.  They got to Darvish early last night and kept nothing up, super bummer.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: October 18, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »

Winning last year has eliminated a lot of the angst and anger I would be feeling right now.  It's been surprisingly easy for me to put this poor showing against the Dodgers in perspective although I am disappointed in how poorly they've played.

3 NLCS appearances in a row with a World Series and a window that is still wide open.  This will be a very interesting offseason, as you mentioned.  Two rotation spots wide open (does Montgomery get a chance?), the bullpen needs to be addressed, and a more consistent presence in the leadoff spot is needed. 

Also, go Astros.  The thought of a Dodgers-Yankees World Series is gross. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1746 on: October 18, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »
"Give Montgomery a chance"
-Brewers fans

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: October 18, 2017, 11:56:18 AM »
-Brewers fans

Even with that ugly start against the Brewers, Montgomery went 5-5 with a 4.15 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP in 14 starts and that was typically with a pitch count of around 80-90. I'd take those numbers from a back-of-the-rotation guy.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1748 on: October 18, 2017, 03:17:16 PM »
-Brewers fans

Brewers fans really like the Dodgers?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1749 on: October 18, 2017, 03:18:46 PM »
Would love to see where I said/implied that.

Here you go.

Honest question for all Cubs fans who think Arietta has never taken PEDs. Beyond any players who have failed a drug test and been suspended by the MLB already, over/under 0.5 players currently in the Cubs organization that have taken PEDs. What are you taking?

Every Cubs starter lost 1-3 MPH on his fastball this season. Hmm...

Maybe if it was 1 of their 5 starters.  All 5?  Hmm...