[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 266160 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1025 on: September 11, 2017, 09:40:06 PM »
The Crew needs to be able to beat crappy teams.

I believe they were 10-3 vs. the Nats, Dodgers, Cubs, and Cards. It is the lousy teams that are the problem.

Like the Pirates.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: September 11, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
With the Rockies not letting up against the Dodgers, it's shaping up that the three-way race between the Brewers, Cardinals and Cubs will be one where there are no points for second place.

Actually in that scenario a 2nd place in the NL central could get a playoff  ;D

Nevermind. I read it wrong.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: September 11, 2017, 10:42:04 PM »
Jose Abreu is one hell of a hitter.  That is all.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: September 12, 2017, 07:52:21 AM »
Brewers gonna put out a little prick tease. Den, leave ya high and dry?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: September 12, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »
Brewers gonna put out a little prick tease. Den, leave ya high and dry?

Honestly, nobody feels that way at all.  Crew is a highly competitive team with a $60M payroll.  Thrilled to be playing September ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: September 12, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
Honestly, nobody feels that way at all.  Crew is a highly competitive team with a $60M payroll.  Thrilled to be playing September ball.

Exactly... this is like the hottest chick in the bar hitting on 4ever at 1:30 a.m.  He's not supposed to be there, and even if he was, there's no way anyone could have predicted her choosing him.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: September 12, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »

You're obsessed with the payroll being a factor....why? If it was $95 million would you still be happy? $125 million? Does it matter?

Also, it's $80 million.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:09:51 PM by PTM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1032 on: September 12, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »
You're obsessed with the payroll being a factor....why? If it was $95 million would you still be happy? $125 million? Does it matter?

If you would like the Cubs to trade payroll capacity with the Brewers, I'm sure that the Brewers would be open to that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: September 12, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
Some of you forget that baseball is a business.  Wins and losses aren't the only metrics for success.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: September 12, 2017, 02:30:41 PM »
First, know your facts.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2017/09/09/haudricourt-lowest-payroll-among-contenders-brewers-got-bang-their-bucks/639961001/

'When the season began, they had an actual payroll of less than $60 million, the lowest among the 30 clubs ...'

Second, I'm not one of those guys who can only enjoy and respect a team that wins the championship or something close.  Marquette basketball is not a 'failure' in my eyes in years they fall short of the Final 4, for example.  That's one reason I'm unwilling to sacrifice everything for winning.  Character and academics matter in my mind.  The Brewers have been an outstanding club this year.  It'll be an incredible accomplishment if they make the post season in the single sport most tilted toward the big dollar clubs of any major sport.  It'll be a very solid accomplishment if they can finish strong and continue to build for the future.  For me at this point, staying solidly above .500 for the season is a laudable goal and would mean that this year was a success.

🏀

• All American

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: September 12, 2017, 02:44:19 PM »
If you would like the Cubs to trade payroll capacity with the Brewers, I'm sure that the Brewers would be open to that.

The Brewers have payroll capacity and have spent big bucks when necessary before. I don't think that's an issue.

Some of you forget that baseball is a business.  Wins and losses aren't the only metrics for success.

It's a business, sure. As a fan, it's not my business. Wins and losses are the only metric for success in the regular season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: September 12, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »
Whether the Brewers sneak into the postseason or flame out over the last 18 games of the season and finish 10 games out of the postseason, anybody who doesn't think this season was a wild success for the Brewers doesn't know baseball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1038 on: September 12, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »
The Brewers have payroll capacity and have spent big bucks when necessary before. I don't think that's an issue.

They have a higher payroll capacity than what they are currently spending, that's true. But is still among the lowest in the majors. Saying it doesn't matter when one team has $100 Mil to spend and another has $200 Mil to spend is a little disingenuous.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: September 12, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »
Let's also not lose sight of the fact that there is a correlation between payroll and success on the field (even though it's not absolute). 

The point in pointing out the Brewers payroll is either a) they shouldn't even be in the postseason conversation at this juncture or b) it's amazing what they've been able to accomplish with so little.  It has nothing to do with the Cubs, or any other team's, payroll or accomplishments.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: September 12, 2017, 03:08:20 PM »
I think the Brewers have had an incredible season, and in my opinion citing payroll cheapens it, as if you needed something else to justify the results.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: September 12, 2017, 03:55:20 PM »
I think the payroll is key.  It's a reason to believe that the currently 'controlled' line-up has a very bright future.  Just look at the core of the pitching staff.  The ONLY way the Crew wins if is they have home grown talent.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1042 on: September 12, 2017, 03:56:46 PM »
The Brewers could not give 15% of their payroll to Matt Garza.  That may help.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: September 12, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »
The Brewers could not give 15% of their payroll to Matt Garza.  That may help.

Next year they won't.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1044 on: September 12, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »
The ONLY way the Crew wins if is they have home grown talent.

AND they could pay up.  The Brewers had a Top 10 payroll as recently as 2012. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: September 12, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »
AND they could pay up.  The Brewers had a Top 10 payroll as recently as 2012.

Yes, selectively.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: September 12, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
You all battle over the dumbest things...

The Brewers are a young team with a decent farm system. They have way outperformed what they were supposed to do and made the nl central a competitive division.

However it's baseball. Some teams that are really really good can go cold for an entire season (the cubs). And it's the same the other way. Some teams get really hot for a year and then go back to non competitive. It's the multi year strings that really make a team (cards). If you can get success 3/4 years your team is insane.

I believe the most fatal flaw for Milwaukee was Sterns not trading away thames while he had value.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: September 12, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »

The Brewers are a young team with a decent farm system. They have way outperformed what they were supposed to do and made the nl central a competitive division.

However it's baseball. Some teams that are really really good can go cold for an entire season (the cubs). And it's the same the other way. Some teams get really hot for a year and then go back to non competitive. It's the multi year strings that really make a team (cards). If you can get success 3/4 years your team is insane.

I believe the most fatal flaw for Milwaukee was Sterns not trading away thames while he had value.

Thames never had value beyond mid level minor league talent.  He definitely was not going to bring in needle moving talent in return.  No GM who wants to keep their job trades away pieces for one month of a complete unknown, especially one that is returning from overseas after being absolutely nothing prior to going overseas.  GMs didn't get where they are by accident.  There's a reason you don't see a bunch of trades going down in the first month of the season.  Nobody knows what they have until close to midseason.  Thames is included in that.  He was incredible for the first month, but nobody is going to be jumping at the chance to trade for a guy who had a hot first month with absolutely no book out on him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1048 on: September 12, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »

"Really, really good" teams do not go cold for an entire season. Not with a 162 game schedule.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:23 PM »
I do know the facts, the payroll is currently almost $83 million. Opening Day is different.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/payroll/

$14.5 million is signing bonuses spent on rookies.  So $68.5 million is more accurate of what the major league  payroll is.  That also accounts for "buried" minor league salaries and deferred money.  Active payroll is $57.5 million.

feedback