[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: St. John's  (Read 9407 times)

Hubert Davis

• Starter
St. John's
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
BEAT ST. JOHN'S! Pointing out the obvious here but Tuesday is an absolute must-win game for the Warriors. Coming off a huge home win in front of great crowd, we all need to build off the Xavier win-fans included-and carry that momentum into Tuesday's game. We need to show up. Students need to bring it and we need to help this team win. We all know by now that this team is the epitome of inconsistency. Lets help lift them to a huge win and give us more hope for the ever so precious NCAA tourney bid! Lets make Marquette basketball great again.

Show up. Buy a beer. Be loud. And lets just win baby!

wadesworld

• All American
Re: St. John's
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
Biggest game of the year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »
So what's the best way for Marquette to beat St. Johns? obviously shoot well from behind the arc, but what can we exploit, and how do we get our shooters open. Also, what the best way to guard them?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »
So what's the best way for Marquette to beat St. Johns? obviously shoot well from behind the arc, but what can we exploit, and how do we get our shooters open. Also, what the best way to guard them?

Control the basketball.  If you do that you don't let them get out in transition, you don't let them get momentum, and you make a bunch of athletes beat you in the half court.  When they are playing over aggressive defensively, be strong with the dribble and blow by them.  Make the defense collapse and then hit the open man on the kick out.  Get to the free throw line.  Rebound.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 11:40:40 AM »

Well I hope Wojo learned them driving us off the three point line into shot blockers.  We need to be wary of drives all of the way to the basket and going against their bigs.  What happened to Luke's little 12 foot shot?  Would like to pull one of their bigs out of the paint.  Also need to kick out when the defense closes in the paint.

Defensively I have no idea.  We are so bad there I have little advice.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:41:02 AM »

Personally, I really think we need to have JJJ back on the floor against St. John's. They're a longer, more athletic team, and we'll need him defensively. Let's hope the benching got the message across and that he responds well tomorrow night.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
Zone them, that eliminates the penetration and forces them to live on the perimeter. That's not going to work for them.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
Zone them, that eliminates the penetration and forces them to live on the perimeter. That's not going to work for them.

Maybe a little but if we play zone more than 20 possessions they will figure it out and score at wiil

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 11:52:59 AM »
Maybe a little but if we play zone more than 20 possessions they will figure it out and score at wiil
That's why you keep changing it up.
2-3, 1-3-1, man. They're young, it will throw them off.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »

I think we should score more points.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
Control the basketball.  If you do that you don't let them get out in transition, you don't let them get momentum, and you make a bunch of athletes beat you in the half court.  When they are playing over aggressive defensively, be strong with the dribble and blow by them.  Make the defense collapse and then hit the open man on the kick out.  Get to the free throw line.  Rebound.

I seem to remember STJ getting away with a lot of the defensive end. Tons of hand checks on dribblers and "bodying" of cutters. Hopefully we'll get a few calls early when they're on defense that will make them timid

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 12:33:28 PM »
Offensively, I'm curious to see how the Howard/Rowsey look will change things.

Last game, they were able to force everyone into the paint. But we didn't see Howard/Rowsey on the floor together much in that game.

Very difficult to force both of these two off the 3 point line. Especially if Reinhardt or Hauser are on the floor at the same time.

Protecting the ball will be key. Season high 17 turnovers in the 1st matchup, but of the 17, "only" 9 were St Johns steals.

Cheatham played incredibly hard vs. X, but he still had 4 of our 9 turnovers. He had 5 t/o's in the first game vs STJ, so if he can't protect the ball we can't have him out there in this game.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:52:56 PM by amen426 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 01:10:23 PM »
This is the only game on the schedule where I would be okay with a zone. We are better when we play man. But St. John's is abysmal at attacking the zone. Their disadvantage against the zone is bigger than our disadvantage playing it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
St. John's is actually better than average from behind the arc, not so good inside it (just 246th in the country in 2-point FG%). Playing a lot of zone could be dangerous if they're passing well and finding the open man — Mussini (44.8% from 3), LoVett (40.5%) and Ellison (39.4%) are all excellent shooters.

They play at a fast tempo (18th in the country). But they're just 12-15 for the season, so it's not like they're running most teams off the court.

On the defensive side, eFG% is below average. They allow offensive rebounds like crazy. Not so good against the 3 (252nd in the country). Xavier hung 97 points on them. Nova scored 92. Butler just beat them 110-86.

The first game against them at Madison Square Garden may have been an anomoly. They shot 52% on 2-pointers, while MU hit just 33%. Mussini, LoVett and Ellison were 7-13 from behind the arc. We also committed 17 turnovers (a lot of which were converted into easy layups and dunks).

My prescription: protect the ball, be patient on offense, take good shots, and keep running fresh players into the game to run down every ball rotation on defense.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »
Given our problems with shot blockers last game, I wonder if we'll see some small ball to draw the defenders outside a bit.  We'll suffer on the defensive end, but it may be worth it to wear down their big guys and open up the middle for some drives.  Besides, another ball handler would come in handy - get Katin involved in beating the press. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 01:18:22 PM »
Look closer at their 3P shooting in conference. It has been terrible. They have been more focused on working the ball inside and penetrating and have been better for it. St. John's doesn't have good passing. They are an ultra athletic bunch with no discipline. They out-athlete opponents. I haven't checked since we played them, but going into our last game they were 0-5 when they shot 24 3s or more in a game. Turn them into a shooting team and you win.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
The MU guard play was horrendous that game.  I am sure that Rowsey and Howard ever played against that quickness in the backcourt, were not prepared.  I might
have Duane or Cheatham handle the ball more.  Or when Reinhardt is in the game let him bring the ball up.  Have to get the lead early and there guards will start
jacking up bad shots, not the smartest team in the BE as they are so young. 

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 01:24:42 PM »
If you remember Cheatham's performance the last time they played, you don't want him handling the ball.  This is a tough matchup for him.  We should get a healthy dose of Duane this game.   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:26:53 PM by 21rooster »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
Look closer at their 3P shooting in conference. It has been terrible.

Interesting. They're 6th in the Big East from behind the arc (34.3%), 7th from 2-point range (49.0%), 8th in eFG% (49.9%). I'm not so worried about their offense. And their defense isn't very good, either — except for the fact that they lead the conference in forcing turnovers.

We played right into their hands last game. If we can cut down on the turnovers and run our offense, we should get the win.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
I'd like to see us make them PAY a few times when we do beat their press rather than pull the ball out and run the offense. If we don't make them pay with a few layups or dunks then there's no downside to keep pressing us.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
That's why you keep changing it up.
2-3, 1-3-1, man. They're young, it will throw them off.

Agreed. Mixing zones will help stop penetration and make it easier to get someone in front of the drivers. Force them into jump shots when they come inside. I would even like a little 3/4 court pressure, especially if LoVett is bringing it up. Not regularly, maybe a handful of possessions, but just to keep them off balance.

But to do that, we have to make shots. When they chase us off the line, make the extra passes to find an open man. Making shots allows the defense to get set. Our offense is our best weapon, need that working to get the defense going.

If we play our game, we could beat them by 25. But if we fall into the mistakes of last time, they could steal it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »
I seem to remember STJ getting away with a lot of the defensive end. Tons of hand checks on dribblers and "bodying" of cutters. Hopefully we'll get a few calls early when they're on defense that will make them timid

Is this comment making my point?  I recall we lost by 14 at "the garden", now we are 9 point favorites in Milwaukee, what's up?  Does the emperor have any clothes on?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 05:37:33 PM »
You don't know how point spreads work huh?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
You don't know how point spreads work huh?
He has no clue about most of anything here or is pretending to have no clue.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:42:44 PM by Newsdrms »
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 08:18:07 PM »
Personally, I really think we need to have JJJ back on the floor against St. John's. They're a longer, more athletic team, and we'll need him defensively. Let's hope the benching got the message across and that he responds well tomorrow night.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback