'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does Heldt start the rest of the way?  (Read 17777 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Does Heldt start the rest of the way?
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »
One game only but he actually looked like the better player over Fischer.  He played much better defense off of the ball screen with his hedging and rebounded way better than Fischer.  Our defense actually looked decent for much of the game.  Offensive skills are not there but didn't need that last night.

I guess we get to see first hand how Wojo coaches this out the rest of the way.   

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Does Heldt start the rest of the way?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »
One game only but he actually looked like the better player over Fischer.  He played much better defense off of the ball screen with his hedging and rebounded way better than Fischer.  Our defense actually looked decent for much of the game.  Offensive skills are not there but didn't need that last night.

I guess we get to see first hand how Wojo coaches this out the rest of the way.   

I don't know about the rest of the season, but I think he starts Tuesday.  I believe if you have softer players in at the beginning, opposing players gain more confidence with each success they have.  If they have to work harder, the confidence rate is slower.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 01:31:12 PM »
I think he should start.  He gives us the best chance to win because he is a better rim defender than Fischer.  Fischer cost us several games because of his poor shooting (from 2') and lousy defense.  Heldt should shoot more.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
I think he should start.  He gives us the best chance to win because he is a better rim defender than Fischer.  Fischer cost us several games because of his poor shooting (from 2') and lousy defense.  Heldt should shoot more.

Poor shooting? Luke is 2nd in the conference in eFG%. Love Matt but we have some backup qb syndrome going on
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
Yeah of course, as due Rowsey and Duane, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 05:22:27 PM »
Poor shooting? Luke is 2nd in the conference in eFG%. Love Matt but we have some backup qb syndrome going on

+1

Regardless of who starts, Matt's performance last night has me less worried about what happens next season....

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 05:23:18 PM »
Heldt is not just a better defender than Fisher.  He's a better rebounder, has a higher basketball IQ, is in the right place more often, works harder, and makes fewer mistakes.  Sounds like a starter to me. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
Hope not. Luke is the better option.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 05:32:18 PM »
Heldt is not just a better defender than Fisher.  He's a better rebounder, has a higher basketball IQ, is in the right place more often, works harder, and makes fewer mistakes.  Sounds like a starter to me. 

Except he isn't a better rebounder by TRB% and turns the ball over more by TO%.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
I'm glad to see that they both fouled out, meaning they were playing really hard, as they should.
Fisher has been way too timid, fearful of fouling out, give them hell, play with a little reckless abandon.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 05:42:07 PM »
Doesn't matter.  Either one will have two fouls by the six minute mark.   

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 06:46:12 PM »
Heldt is the only scholarship player not to be named SOTG.  If he does get it, I believe this will be the first time every scholarship player on the roster at the end of the year was named at least once (Wally did not get it last year and I'm not counting Cohen and Carter as they did not play the last 20 games).

If nothing else Heldt will get enough PT to potentially earn a SOTG.  But with 4 regular and at least 1 BET game left, and SOTG only goes to a player when we win, not many opportunities left.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:25:53 PM by Yukon Cornelius »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 07:33:17 PM »
I'm glad to see that they both fouled out, meaning they were playing really hard, as they should.
Fisher has been way too timid, fearful of fouling out, give them hell, play with a little reckless abandon.

Except fully two of Fischer's fouls were moronic, foolish plays that someone shouldn't commit even in their Sophomore year.  Both late in the game when foul trouble needed to be part of their approach, the first was a stupid foul 90 feet from the basket after X had clearly secured a defensive rebound and he reached and the second was his 5th and final foul when he simply should have given the layup at a point when two points meant next to nothing compared to his continuing eligibility.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 07:44:18 PM »
I think Wojo should have a daily tryout and top 5 start/play.

Glow---I thought I was watching Otule on those screen hedge foul 35' from the basket. When LF had 4 fouls and he is interlocking arms with OMeara I was screaming at Luke for 3 seconds prior to the call that the refs had to call. It wasn't necessary and I was obvious. Bizarre.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 07:48:45 PM »
If we are playing to win Luke gets his minutes. No comparison and this stage of the two guys careers. Matt is nowhere near ready to get big time minutes. I doubt if he will ever get big time minutes.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
I think Wojo(we) was playing to win last night. Heldt had 24 minutes, Luke 12 minutes. I believe Matt fouled out first, which implies Matt would had added more minutes and Luke less, if he hadn't fouled out.
I love who Matt is becoming and what he brings.

I would take an overachiever before an underachiever all day long--generally speaking.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:03:08 PM by We R Final Four »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
I think Wojo(we) was playing to win last night. Heldt had 24 minutes, Luke 12 minutes. I believe Matt fouled out first, which implies Matt would had added more minutes and Luke less, if he hadn't fouled out.
I love who Matt is becoming and what he brings.
I would take an overachiever before an underachiever all day long.

Luke is an underachiever?  He has gotten better each of his three years at Marquette in almost every statistical category.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »
If we are playing to win Luke gets his minutes. No comparison and this stage of the two guys careers. Matt is nowhere near ready to get big time minutes. I doubt if he will ever get big time minutes.
This.  No way Matt is as good as Luke new get in and night out.  Can Matt be "Luke good" when he's a senior?  Maybe. But he isn't right now.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 08:04:52 PM »
No--Generally speaking--I personally would take an overachiever all day long. Not saying Luke is an underachiever.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:48:56 AM by We R Final Four »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »
No--Generally speaking--I personally would take an underachiever all day long. Not saying Luke is an underachiever.

Gotcha.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »
Held is a good role player who is improving. Luke is a proven starter who has issues but is clearly the better option if both are playing to their potential.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 09:21:35 PM »
Yes and no. Heldt is more likely to be out of position and get beat on a back door play. I think he is a better defender straight up against a center trying to back him down. Fischer is a better shot blocker. Heldt is a better defensive rebounder.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 09:27:12 PM »
It completely depends on how hard Luke works.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 09:31:02 PM »
I kind of liked the starting lineup.  Luke, Reinhardt, and JJJ can score off of the bench, Cheatham can defend off the bench, Luke stays out of early foul trouble, and you can spread the floor with Howard, Rowsey, and Hauser starting together.  Duane can slash and Heldt can be a grinder until he picks up a foul or we need some low post offense.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »
I certainly hope not. This team ain't making the tournament if Matt Heldt is starting and getting more minutes than Luke.

feedback