[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Howard Questions/Thoughts  (Read 7309 times)

thanooj

• Starter
Re: Howard Questions/Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »

I think Henry is better overall. That might be because he was blessed with his size but size matters in basketball (giggity).

Excellent
Original member of the "Dean's List"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
If Markus stayed in high school, would he be a Top 10 recruit?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »

Top 20/25 probably. But, should have been this year. Nat'l service folks were lazy.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »

Can he take his rightful place in the 2017 McDonald's AA game this coming summer?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
Should Marcus declare afta dis season, hey?

He will not be old enough.

Here's hoping he's not tempted after NEXT season, though. Because although I think we will continue making nice progress in 2017-18, it is the following season that we could be serious FF contenders, in great part because we'll have one of the best PGs in the country.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »
He will not be old enough.

Here's hoping he's not tempted after NEXT season, though. Because although I think we will continue making nice progress in 2017-18, it is the following season that we could be serious FF contenders, in great part because we'll have one of the best PGs in the country.

He is still awful small for the NBA, I would agree in two years, maybe.  But I see him here all 4 years.  Not quick enough yet, not sure he is in the same league as
Isiah Thomas, and that has to be his benchmark.  Tonight will be interesting.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2017, 09:52:40 AM »
He is still awful small for the NBA, I would agree in two years, maybe.  But I see him here all 4 years.  Not quick enough yet, not sure he is in the same league as
Isiah Thomas, and that has to be his benchmark.  Tonight will be interesting.

As I've said elsewhere, the fact that a player might not be "ready" for the NBA does not mean he will stay in school. Athletes have all kinds of people whispering in their ears, often telling them conflicting information. Combine that with the fact that to be a great athlete, one must have supreme confidence, and it's sometimes too tempting to resist. And then there is whether the athlete likes school, believes he will prefer the college experience to the pros, needs money, etc, etc, etc. Many, many factors - and being "ready" might be one of the least in their eyes.

Henry wasn't "ready" for the NBA, but he never was going to stay here 2 years.

Vander wasn't "ready" for the NBA, but he wanted out of college.

Dozens upon dozens upon dozens of examples are available.

Selfishly, I hope Markus is here for 4 years. At his size, it will be a challenge to play in the NBA. He seems to value education highly. But who knows?

I'm enjoying him very much, am glad I will be able to say the same next season, and we'll see beyond that.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 10:02:56 AM »
If you look at under 6' NBA comps you have Isiah Thomas and (em) Isiah Thomas and AI and Nate Robinson and Aaron Brooks and Jameer Nelson and JJ Barea, DJ Augustin, Ty Lawson, Kyle Lowry.  The closest I see is JJ Barea.  Great shooter, OK floater... but he's so much stronger and quicker than Howard.  All the others are so much quicker it's not even close.  I don't think the NBA is a concern for 2-3 years.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »
As I've said elsewhere, the fact that a player might not be "ready" for the NBA does not mean he will stay in school. Athletes have all kinds of people whispering in their ears, often telling them conflicting information. Combine that with the fact that to be a great athlete, one must have supreme confidence, and it's sometimes too tempting to resist. And then there is whether the athlete likes school, believes he will prefer the college experience to the pros, needs money, etc, etc, etc. Many, many factors - and being "ready" might be one of the least in their eyes.

Henry wasn't "ready" for the NBA, but he never was going to stay here 2 years.

Vander wasn't "ready" for the NBA, but he wanted out of college.

Dozens upon dozens upon dozens of examples are available.

Selfishly, I hope Markus is here for 4 years. At his size, it will be a challenge to play in the NBA. He seems to value education highly. But who knows?

I'm enjoying him very much, am glad I will be able to say the same next season, and we'll see beyond that.

Markus is a super bright kid.  He graduated from high school a year early as Valedictorian.  My guess he wouldn't be stupid enough to leave before he is a consensus draft pick.  Compare that to Vander. The only people who were telling him he was going to get drafted were his knucklehead friends and (I assume) his agent.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »

Markus is a super bright kid.  He graduated from high school a year early as Valedictorian.  My guess he wouldn't be stupid enough to leave before he is a consensus draft pick.  Compare that to Vander. The only people who were telling him he was going to get drafted were his knucklehead friends and (I assume) his agent.

Vander did not listen to his mother who wanted him to stay.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »

Can't have an agent before you gowne

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
Can't have an agent before you gowne

You can't sign one, but can you talk to one?
Have some patience, FFS.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »
He can definitely shoot it. While he does have a nice tear-drop shot we have seen a couple times, hopefully he will still be able to attack the rim if the shot doesn't fall. The best part about it is, hes probably already one of the key focuses in the opponent scouting reports, and yet he was able to pour in so many 3s against X.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
He can definitely shoot it. While he does have a nice tear-drop shot we have seen a couple times, hopefully he will still be able to attack the rim if the shot doesn't fall. The best part about it is, hes probably already one of the key focuses in the opponent scouting reports, and yet he was able to pour in so many 3s against X.

At risk of hijacking of a thread...ah what the hell, here goes:

This team needs some towers at the 3 &4 spots who are some semblance of offensive threats (pogo sticks??) and a rim rocker to cover up the defensive deficiencies, so that Rowsey and Howard can play together in short spurts. If Froling can be that at the 5, I love the 1-4 of Howard, Rowsey, Cheatham, Sam with a year and an offseason under their belts. The hope is that allows Cheats to minimize his offensive limitations (in that he can't hit a shot that isn't a corner 3 or lay-up not to his left).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »

Markus is a super bright kid.  He graduated from high school a year early as Valedictorian.  My guess he wouldn't be stupid enough to leave before he is a consensus draft pick. 

Good.

Of course, the D-League has been filled with guys who were first-round draft picks but weren't really "ready" for the NBA. Our own Hankster is one of them. That's no shot at Henry; I don't blame him for leaving. But he was a consensus high pick, he ended up being a top-20 pick and he has played about 11 seconds as an NBA rookie. Noah Vonleh out of Indiana a couple years ago is another that leaps to mind - and he was a top-10 pick. Hell, Okafor can't get off the 76ers' bench!

The road will be tougher for Markus because of his size.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 01:45:36 PM »
Good.

Of course, the D-League has been filled with guys who were first-round draft picks but weren't really "ready" for the NBA. Our own Hankster is one of them. That's no shot at Henry; I don't blame him for leaving. But he was a consensus high pick, he ended up being a top-20 pick and he has played about 11 seconds as an NBA rookie. Noah Vonleh out of Indiana a couple years ago is another that leaps to mind - and he was a top-10 pick. Hell, Okafor can't get off the 76ers' bench!

The road will be tougher for Markus because of his size.

We've been over this with Hank, though. The difference between going pro last year versus this year is a 1st round grade and a guaranteed contract, unless you factor some SERIOUS progression to his game.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 02:12:40 PM »

My understanding is that Howard CAN'T declare for the NBA draft this year because he's too young.

I believe its 19 or 1 year removed from highschool.

Edit its apparently both. Meaning howard is ineligible for the draft.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:22:48 PM by #UnleashRowsey »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 02:17:49 PM »
I believe its 19 or 1 year removed from highschool.

False

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »
It's often mentioned Howard is only 17. My 18 year old son (who grew 5 inches from 17 to 18) pointed out Howard could still have a growth spurt. This could make him even better then he already is.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »
Makes him more desirable to ND, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »
What is it then, JayB? I thought unleash had it right, but mostly because I heard some guys on TV say the same thing today (but, of course they were on ESPN, so that's not much a reference for them).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
We've been over this with Hank, though. The difference between going pro last year versus this year is a 1st round grade and a guaranteed contract, unless you factor some SERIOUS progression to his game.

Again, I don't blame HE for leaving. Lots of money on the table.

He's just an example of a first-round draft pick who wasn't really "ready." Maybe he never would have been really ready even if he had stayed 4 years. We'll see if his game is ever suited for the pros. Best-case scenario for Hank is a Steve Hawes-like career. We'll see.

As for Markus, he can't go pro even if he wanted to. Not old enough.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
It's often mentioned Howard is only 17. My 18 year old son (who grew 5 inches from 17 to 18) pointed out Howard could still have a growth spurt. This could make him even better then he already is.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:18:30 PM by GB Warrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 04:09:34 PM »
What is it then, JayB? I thought unleash had it right, but mostly because I heard some guys on TV say the same thing today (but, of course they were on ESPN, so that's not much a reference for them).

For foreigners... must be 19

US kids... 19 in calendar year of draft, AND one year lapse since graduation date or "would have" grad date