[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Zog from Margo
[Today at 03:48:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 17 year old thoughts.  (Read 8777 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: 17 year old thoughts.
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 07:46:19 AM »
MU at 35 now ahead of X at 37 in Pomeroy.

We play to our rank here forward and we dance.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 07:58:01 AM »
2) Xavier had a miserable shooting night. Period. Perhaps that was our defense (I hope so) but it could just be they had a bad night.

We can look a little deeper at this. Remember, X isn't a good shooting team to begin with and they had their 54.0% eFG% guy Bluiett on the bench.

This was their 7th worst shooting game of the season - so about 25th percentile for them. Miserable? Probably not, for them. Poor? OK.

But, they're an OK 2FG% team, weak 3FG% team... last night, 2FG% wasn't the problem. 55.3% 2FG% for X.

What went south was their 3FG%. 2/17 for 11.8%.

So, I'd call it X missing almost every thing from deep. Probably more to do with them than to do with us. Their 2FG% was way too high -- not good. Their big men ate well scoring the ball inside, and some of that has to do with Luke only playing 12 mins.

Xavier shot 11.8% 3FG% last night. This season, #mubb games shooting worse than 35.7% 3FG%: 3. For Xavier: 14.

They no good shooting 1 ball from 1 distance
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 08:49:32 AM »
Duane was very good. Didn't shoot or score well but brought it on the defensive end and did well handling the ball with both Rowsey and Howard playing off the ball.

I'd play him big the rest of the year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
Duane was very good. Didn't shoot or score well but brought it on the defensive end and did well handling the ball with both Rowsey and Howard playing off the ball.

I'd play him big the rest of the year.

I liked his defense, and I loved the and 1 he had. But I thought most of the threes he took were out of rhythm and bad attempts. JJJ is better than Duane. I hope he has figured out whatever lesson Wojo needs him to learn so he can play to his potential the rest of the way.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 09:49:42 AM »
JJJ is not better than Duane. You don't need offense from that position. They needed a solid defensive guard and Duane fills that role much better than JJJ does.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
JJJ is not better than Duane. You don't need offense from that position. They needed a solid defensive guard and Duane fills that role much better than JJJ does.

I couldn't disagree more. Duane has the worst stats on the team other than Matt and its pretty close. However, he has better bball iq and does what the coach asks him to do. If JJJ could simply follow the coaches' directions, he would be a phenomenal player.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »

JjJ is better than Duane, but you are correct that DU fills the needed role much better. Tomato,tomato.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »
3) We feed off NMD momentum, with a sell-out at the BC. That's not going to happen again this year.

You are correct in this.  BUT, the Creighton senior day game should be a great environment.  It'd be even better if MU came into it having won 4 straight :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »
I couldn't disagree more. Duane has the worst stats on the team other than Matt and its pretty close. However, he has better bball iq and does what the coach asks him to do. If JJJ could simply follow the coaches' directions, he would be a phenomenal player.

That's been the "If" for 3.75 years. At what point is the "If" answered? And, unfortunately, that's a very big "If." If your staff has a game plan and 4 of 5 kids are playing to it while the 5th is off doing his own thing, you might as well scratch whatever that game plan was. Being able to do what you're asked to do is pretty important in determining whether you're a good basketball player. Sure, take the team to the Rec Center and let them jump in with all the random kids playing and JJJ will look like the best player on the team. But without question this team plays far better with Duane on the court than with JJJ on the court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »
That's been the "If" for 3.75 years. At what point is the "If" answered? And, unfortunately, that's a very big "If." If your staff has a game plan and 4 of 5 kids are playing to it while the 5th is off doing his own thing, you might as well scratch whatever that game plan was. Being able to do what you're asked to do is pretty important in determining whether you're a good basketball player. Sure, take the team to the Rec Center and let them jump in with all the random kids playing and JJJ will look like the best player on the team. But without question this team plays far better with Duane on the court than with JJJ on the court.

After he was benched last season, JJJ played locked in the next 7 games. The numbers he was putting up were All-Big East good. I'm hoping this benching has a similar effect.

I question the team playing better with Duane on the floor very much. It has been true for the last two games certainly. But not most of the season. I hope the streak continues or I hope JJJ brings it for his last few games.
TAMU

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 05:20:41 PM »
Damn it was nice to see some defense from MU in this game.  With the exception of Fisher, who is the basketball equivalent of a sieve (if sieves could foul), the whole team put out their best defensive effort of the season.  I'll take 6 points and 9 boards and good D from Heldt over 12 points and 4 boards and no D from Fisher any day.  Special note to Wilson and Cheatham who guarded much bigger guys with a level of poise and intensity we haven't seen for a while.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 05:23:03 PM »
After he was benched last season, JJJ played locked in the next 7 games. The numbers he was putting up were All-Big East good. I'm hoping this benching has a similar effect.

I question the team playing better with Duane on the floor very much. It has been true for the last two games certainly. But not most of the season. I hope the streak continues or I hope JJJ brings it for his last few games.

Dat wuz last year, doe. Gotta pad da resume goin' forward. Probably po'ed at Steve for fookin' up his pro chances, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »

Dat wuz last year, doe. Gotta pad da resume goin' forward. Probably po'ed at Steve for fookin' up his pro chances, hey?

This.  If he's not playing within the system, he rides the bench. It doesn't matter how good he is.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 07:31:50 AM »
Wait hes 17?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 08:00:54 AM »
...who is the basketball equivalent of a sieve (if sieves could foul)...

OK, I actually laughed out loud.  Glad I didn't have coffee in my mouth.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »
Won the three most important factors. Lost the fourth one barely. Recipe for a blowout.

eFG%:
MU: 50.8%
X: 43.6%

TO%:
MU: 13.3%
TO%: 20.9%

OR%:
MU: 39.5%
X: 29.7%

FTR:
MU: 31.3%
X: 34.5%
TAMU

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 08:51:22 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 08:57:34 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 09:00:33 PM »
Didn't know Mark married a Xavier alum.
got it from Matt V's feed - if that's not his son I fell fro the same troll he did.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »
Xavier has been recruiting my daughter already simply based on PSAT score.  She's only a sophomore and has been inundated with e-mails and post mail and in fact it's the only university so far to reach out to her.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »
Xavier has been recruiting my daughter already simply based on PSAT score.  She's only a sophomore and has been inundated with e-mails and post mail and in fact it's the only university so far to reach out to her.

Must be because of the huge drop in applications after Saturday's loss.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 09:27:12 AM »
Marquette beat Xavier getting nothing from our seniors.     If those 6 all return, add in Froling,Cain, John, a year older and better Sacar, and a wing guard TBD.........
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2017, 09:38:03 AM »
Marquette beat Xavier getting nothing from our seniors.     If those 6 all return, add in Froling,Cain, John, a year older and better Sacar, and a wing guard TBD.........

I am very high on next season and our program's direction in general.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
I am very high on next season and our program's direction in general.

The direction of the program is going the right direction, lots of positives moving forward particularly having Giannis and the new arena are big positives in selling the
program, I expect a great recruiting class next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
The direction of the program is going the right direction, lots of positives moving forward particularly having Giannis and the new arena are big positives in selling the
program, I expect a great recruiting class next year.

Having Giannis?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback