Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Where Johnson?  (Read 12663 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: Where Johnson?
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:11 AM »
You wouldnt be pissed if you got benched? Have you played sports? If youre a usual starter, its damn hard to keep a happy face when youre glued to the bench.

Tired of people ripping into the kid. Its not like he doesnt play hard. Say he hasnt played well fine, but stop questioning a 22 year old's character when he has done nothing but worked hard for MU and stuck it out in the most trying four years in Marquette history, jag off.

+1. He's made his share of dumb and lazy plays over the last four years, but so has just about everyone else. I'm not going to blame a kid for body language.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
I hate to say it, but playing X without their 2 leading scorers is a safe time to send a message. I think it's an unnecessary move by Wojo, and it shows his youth as a coach. You don't see HOFers pulling stunts like that in must-win games. He got lucky it worked against an injured opponent.

Couldn't disagree more. He saw this in practice, and JJ and Luke are our 2 softest. JJ sells out to steal a pass each time, gets lucky 1/10 times, and then we play 5 on 4. Luke is soft. Period.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »
We don't know why jjj didn't play. Fair to say discipline.

What I hope it's just that game and non bad blood that will last. I really want to see jjj Tuesday. I want whatever it is to be past us. Jjj is one of my favorite players. Sure I hate jjj's drives to nowhere. But I like the guy and he has stepped up when no one else would.

Creighton senior day I want to be real positive. Especially for jjj.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »
I'm not going to blame a kid for body language.

The only important question is:

Did JJJ properly execute the slap of 5?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »
The only important question is:

Did JJJ properly execute the slap of 5?

I know we complain about lack of free throws in practice, but I would argue that we need to practice the free-throw high five slap more.  MU's eFTHFS% is the WORST in the Big East (again).  Unacceptable.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »
I know we complain about lack of free throws in practice, but I would argue that we need to practice the free-throw high five slap more.  MU's eFTHFS% is the WORST in the Big East (again).  Unacceptable.

It has improved since Vander left.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
How would you (or me or anyone on Scoop) know whether the JJJ benching was necessary? Personally, I hate it when coaches suspend or bench a player for a meaningless cupcake game. Phony. Wojo laid it on the line tonight and the team responded. Kudos to him and them.

What about suspending players against a real opponent, but only for one half?

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2017, 04:05:30 PM »
I think its pretty funny that JJJ gets benched AGAIN and the big question revolves around if Wojo is acting properly.  How about a kid that's been with the program for almost 4 years and still fails to show the leadership and 110% effort on both sides of the ball and in practice that this team so desperately needs.  As a senior with only a few games left in his career and a chance to go to his first NCAA tournament he should be playing so hard that any coach wouldn't even think of taking him off the floor.  A team at MU's level (decent but not great) depends on its seniors to act as a steading influence.  I hope JJJ comes back like he did last time this happened but if he doesn't lets put the blame squarely where it belongs.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2017, 10:36:37 PM »
Expect a big game for JJ against St Johns.

burger

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 02:20:58 AM »
Expect a big game for JJ against St Johns.

The only "big game" JJJ is going to have against St. John's is trying to figure out how to keep the "slivers" out of his A$$......One of the earliest posts had it completely right......Addition by subtraction.....

We will play without JJJ until we lose.....

He is a liability to this team.....And if Buzz was here.....He would already be gone.....

His lack of hustle and basketball IQ is tiresome.....and hurts the team.....

This is all about sending the correct message to the "freshman"......Not JJJ.....

His ship has sailed.....

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2017, 05:48:00 AM »
But did he give anyone a slap of five?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:33:05 AM by lurch91 »

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »
Heard that JJJ was showing up late to practice/events consistently in the last week which prompted the benching.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2017, 08:36:19 AM »
He'll learn from it, watch for a big game tomorrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2017, 08:37:01 AM »
"Hopefully", he will learn from it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »
The only "big game" JJJ is going to have against St. John's is trying to figure out how to keep the "slivers" out of his A$$......One of the earliest posts had it completely right......Addition by subtraction.....

He is a liability to this team.....And if Buzz was here.....He would already be gone.....

This is all about sending the correct message to the "freshman"......Not JJJ.....

His ship has sailed.....

Try to limit yourself to one set of ellipses per post please, two at the very most.

Feel better about yourself ripping into a kid who has worked damn hard to get better over the past four years?

Criticism is fine, but those of you who have constantly ripped JJJ (and Luke) to shreads without any basis for it should not be allowed within a 10 mile radius of the Bradley Center or a TV set come senior day.

Why are people so obsessed with bashing him? It's absolutely infuriating.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:49:07 AM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »
Try to limit yourself to one set of ellipses per post please, two at the very most.

Feel better about yourself ripping into a kid who has worked damn hard to get better over the past four years?

Criticism is fine, but those of you who have constantly ripped JJJ (and Luke) to shreads without any basis for it should not be allowed within a 10 mile radius of the Bradley Center or a TV set come senior day.

Totally agree. Everyone rips on JJ.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 09:08:32 AM »
Totally agree. Everyone rips on JJ.

Ergo....
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2017, 09:42:44 AM »

Are you sure people don't have legitimate reasons for criticizing JJJ? Specifically when it come to on-the-court stuff?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
Are you sure people don't have legitimate reasons for criticizing JJJ? Specifically when it come to on-the-court stuff?

Second leading scorer, leader in assists. Could he cut down on turnovers? Absolutely, but people seem to have this irrational hatred for him, making him the scapegoat for all of Marquette problems the past 3 years.

Mostly, I would just love for some posters to say to his face what they write about him here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
Second leading scorer, leader in assists. Could he cut down on turnovers? Absolutely, but people seem to have this irrational hatred for him, making him the scapegoat for all of Marquette problems the past 3 years.

Mostly, I would just love for some posters to say to his face what they write about him here.

Not one single poster has made "him the scapegoat for all of Marquette problems the past 3 years."

Plenty of posters have a problem with how he plays defensive, especially within the team concept.  Wojo seems to have a problem with his performance as well.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2017, 10:04:33 AM »

Not one single poster has made "him the scapegoat for all of Marquette problems the past 3 years."

Plenty of posters have a problem with how he plays defensive, especially within the team concept.  Wojo seems to have a problem with his performance as well.

I hope he learned from this, he is really needed against a very athletic team in St. Johns.  I hope he has the best game of his life against the Johnnies.  Then again
like you said he has to play on both sides of the court.  Time will tell.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »
I hope he learned from this, he is really needed against a very athletic team in St. Johns.  I hope he has the best game of his life against the Johnnies.  Then again
like you said he has to play on both sides of the court.  Time will tell.

I don't know about this. If he is driving out of control to the basket, and turning it over, he plays right into their hands. We need Howard and Cheatham to play much better than in NYC. Protecting the ball should be top priority.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »
I think its pretty funny that JJJ gets benched AGAIN and the big question revolves around if Wojo is acting properly.  How about a kid that's been with the program for almost 4 years and still fails to show the leadership and 110% effort on both sides of the ball and in practice that this team so desperately needs.  As a senior with only a few games left in his career and a chance to go to his first NCAA tournament he should be playing so hard that any coach wouldn't even think of taking him off the floor.  A team at MU's level (decent but not great) depends on its seniors to act as a steading influence.  I hope JJJ comes back like he did last time this happened but if he doesn't lets put the blame squarely where it belongs.

+ 1 billion i have been saying this since the start of the season.  Wojo continuing to start jjj sends the wrong message to the team.  Establish a hardest working toughest guys play culture.  Wojo did this saturday night, finally.  Part of our early run was due to Heldts toughness he had some great help side defense n finished some defensive stops with rebounds.  Neither of tgese happen with the fish in there.  Heldt good defense n 9 boards in 24 mins, the fish bad defense n 2 boards in 12 minutes. 
I understand Wojos loyalty to those two seniors but i hope it has not cost him the season.  Should have punted weeks ago
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »

His ship has sailed.....

+ 50 billion
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »
I think benching JJ for whatever the reason may be was a great move by Wojo. You have to do what you have to do. Btw. I am a huge fan of JJ and think he could've been WAY BETTER is he learned to "exert" himself and his raw athletic ability in a more productive way. His defensive play (going for the steal), lack of hustle, more body language, careless turnovers on the offensive end, etc. are very frustrating and boils down to effort and "competitive spirit". The kid has major talent and can play, but at this point of the season he needs to play the right way. good move by wojo and a great win by the squad in front of a packed house.

great weekend. make marquette great again.

Just win baby!