'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Can Wojo Recruit Big Men?  (Read 8932 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Can Wojo Recruit Big Men?
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »
First of all, I know I'm a new poster - but this is not meant to be a troll post.

I am legitimately wondering if Wojo can recruit effective big men.  Everyone knows that the issue with our roster this year is lack of size.  Luke is a great kid, but he just isn't enough for us in the middle.  Pair that with the fact that you can never realistically play him for an entire game, and our team is consistently in trouble as a result - meaning we need to rely on our three point shooting (which is streaky at best).

But back to the point - Wojo has not recruited one legitimate "big man" since he started here.  The three recruits we have coming in next year would be better described as "bigger men" than what we have... not true "big men".  The tallest recruit is 6'9", I hardly think this will solve our center problem.

Froling is a nice transfer, but I saw him walking around campus the other day and.... he actually looks very out of shape.  Hopefully the trainers can get on his ass and get him in basketball shape, but it did not give me much hope.

Wojo's playing career aligns with the players he has recruited thus far, and I wonder if he is:
1. spending too much time recruiting guards
2. not capable of resonating with true big men

Thoughts are welcome....

Badgerhater

• All American
Re: Can Wojo Recruit Big Men?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
MU's inability to recruit very tall people has been a scoop topic as long as its been on the internet.

Summary:  There are not very many of them to get and if they are any good they go to a top 5 team for their single year of college.  So it becomes a balance of recruiting project centers and those who can contribute more at the 4.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:08:39 PM by Badgerhater »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
I don't think a true center is necessary to the success of a basketball team these days. You are going to see a lot more Theo Johns at the 5 than Luke Fischers in the future.

I also haven't given up on Heldt. I think he has the potential to be a Chris Otule type contributor.

Froling is out of shape at this point. Despite that, he put up very good numbers off the bench for a talented SMU squad. Imagine what he could do once he does get in shape.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:24:43 PM »
How much "time" would you like Wojo to put into recruiting "bigs?" For at least the next 2 years we will have Froling, Heldt, John, and Eke who can play only the 4 or 5 positions. You have 13 scholarships to use, so 31% of our roster will be used on the "big" positions, which make up 20% of a lineup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »
....Henry Ellenson. 6'11 5 star recruit. I know he played the 4 for us, but if that's not a "big man", then I don't know...

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »
I'd consider Wojo our best coach at recruiting bigs since KO, and even he got kinda lucky with Key and Mac coming out of local catholic high schools.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
And I thought Froling and John were both 6'10"
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:58:26 PM by Daniel »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
I remember a pretty good big man he recruited last year. Does that count?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »
I don't think a true center is necessary to the success of a basketball team these days. You are going to see a lot more Theo Johns at the 5 than Luke Fischers in the future.

I also haven't given up on Heldt. I think he has the potential to be a Chris Otule type contributor.

Froling is out of shape at this point. Despite that, he put up very good numbers off the bench for a talented SMU squad. Imagine what he could do once he does get in shape.

I think you're right about the 5 not being a necessity in the college game. We've had success in the front court with undersized guys in recent years - Ox, Jae, Lazar

The rest of the post, however, I can't get on board with. Heldt has a long, long way to go to get to an Otule type presence on the floor. Outle at least had some muscle and seemed to hold his own physically more often than not. Heldt still has time to grow and gain some weight, but right now he seems to be behind the curve both physically and mentally to be a key contributor.

As far as Froling goes, his numbers aren't really all the impressive. All of his stats are from the non-con schedule, including such powerhouses as Gardner-Webb and Delaware State. And a fair number of those games appear to have been less than competitive, meaning there is a good chance that he got some garbage time fluff in there. I'm optimistic but not sold by any means on his ability to be a meaningful contributor right away.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »
....Henry Ellenson. 6'11 5 star recruit. I know he played the 4 for us, but if that's not a "big man", then I don't know...

Agreed.

Keep in mind that many of us believe Wojo recruited Henry thinking we would have him for two years. We would not be having this conversation if Henry was still with us.

It's acknowledged that when a team recruits a Henry, you know there always is a possibility that he's one-and-done. But he was such a good talent, he was worth the risk.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
First of all, I know I'm a new poster - but this is not meant to be a troll post.

I am legitimately wondering if Wojo can recruit effective big men.  Everyone knows that the issue with our roster this year is lack of size.  Luke is a great kid, but he just isn't enough for us in the middle.  Pair that with the fact that you can never realistically play him for an entire game, and our team is consistently in trouble as a result - meaning we need to rely on our three point shooting (which is streaky at best).

But back to the point - Wojo has not recruited one legitimate "big man" since he started here.  The three recruits we have coming in next year would be better described as "bigger men" than what we have... not true "big men".  The tallest recruit is 6'9", I hardly think this will solve our center problem.

Froling is a nice transfer, but I saw him walking around campus the other day and.... he actually looks very out of shape.  Hopefully the trainers can get on his ass and get him in basketball shape, but it did not give me much hope.

Wojo's playing career aligns with the players he has recruited thus far, and I wonder if he is:
1. spending too much time recruiting guards
2. not capable of resonating with true big men

Thoughts are welcome....
Four 6'10" Bigs are on next year's roster.  Heldt, Froling, John and Eke.  And 6' 7-8" Hauser and Cain are close by.  Wojo has actually done a great job recruiting bigs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »
It isn't like you can go down to the corner and find quality 6'10 players at Starbucks.    And I think a case can be made that you are better off in the modern game with 6'9 stretch forwards who put on a little muscle.     Having said that.    Wojo has been here 3 years.    Heldt, Henry, Froling, Eke, Theo John.      That is as many 6'10 players as Buzz got in his time at MU and almost as many as Crean landed in 9 years. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »
I hear Wojo needs to spend more time checking out their necks-- best only way to judge a recruit.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 02:11:27 PM »
I hear Wojo needs to spend more time checking out their necks-- best only way to judge a recruit.

True, especially for bigs.  You can tell Theo is in the weight room with the head harness on every day.  Outstanding neck.  Second to none.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »
As far as Froling goes, his numbers aren't really all the impressive. All of his stats are from the non-con schedule, including such powerhouses as Gardner-Webb and Delaware State. And a fair number of those games appear to have been less than competitive, meaning there is a good chance that he got some garbage time fluff in there. I'm optimistic but not sold by any means on his ability to be a meaningful contributor right away.

He was the second player off the bench for them. He wasn't getting garbage minutes. But I'm certainly not sold on him either. He could be great or he could need some work. I think he would be getting about 15-18 minutes a game for us if was on our team now.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »

Heldt has a long, long way to go to get to an Otule type presence on the floor. Outle at least had some muscle and seemed to hold his own physically more often than not. Heldt still has time to grow and gain some weight, but right now he seems to be behind the curve both physically and mentally to be a key contributor.

Heldt not being strong is not his problem, like not even a little bit.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 03:11:25 PM »
The problem is more systemic than simply recruiting a big man.  The problem is what kind of a university Marquette wants to be.  Does MU want to be competitive at the highest level of college basketball?  I'm not sure we know the answer to that question. 

Did MU go looking to join the Big East or did the Big East come looking for Marquette?  Who was buying and who was selling?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:15:04 PM by vogue65 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »
The problem is more systemic than simply recruiting a big man.  The problem is what kind of a university Marquette wants to be.  Does MU want to be competitive at the highest level of college basketball?  I'm not sure we know the answer to that question. 

Did MU go looking to join the Big East or did the Big East come looking for Marauette?  Who was buying and who was selling?

Lol.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 03:16:12 PM »
Lol.

Perhaps, but an important question nonetheless.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 03:20:21 PM »

Did MU go looking to join the Big East or did the Big East come looking for Marquette?  Who was buying and who was selling?

Oh my God....

Ps Wojo has recruited Henry, Heldt, Froling, and John......Bailey is apparently 6'8 now.....add Sam, Cain and maybe Joey.....I think it's safe to say he can recruit size....it just didn't happen all at once.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »
It isn't like you can go down to the corner and find quality 6'10 players at Starbucks.    And I think a case can be made that you are better off in the modern game with 6'9 stretch forwards who put on a little muscle.     Having said that.    Wojo has been here 3 years.    Heldt, Henry, Froling, Eke, Theo John.      That is as many 6'10 players as Buzz got in his time at MU and almost as many as Crean landed in 9 years.

This.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »
Oh my God....

Ps Wojo has recruited Henry, Heldt, Froling, and John......Bailey is apparently 6'8 now.....add Sam, Cain and maybe Joey.....I think it's safe to say he can recruit size....it just didn't happen all at once.

WTF kind of coach is he if he can't fill every single need on the team, all at the same time? Off with his head.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »
Oh my God....

Pretty crazy to think about.  In two years:

Markus 5'10"
Sacar 6'5"
Haanif 6'5"
Sam 6'7"
Cain 6'7"
Brendan 6'8"
Froling 6'10"
Heldt 6'10"
Eke 6'9"
Theo 6'8"

Hopefully add a 6'8" Joey Hauser...

Am I forgetting anyone?  Either way, that is a lot of height at pretty much all positions.