[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion  (Read 24561 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2017, 10:47:27 PM »
No. Those have been brought up in this thread (if you did some basic research  ;)).

And what do you expect them to say in this situation? Pitt and Syracuse denied any talks with the ACC until it was practically #donedeal. It benefits neither side to admit to the talks until there is something concrete to talk about.

Of course.

Deny, deny, deny ... until you are forced to admit the truth. That's the way the world works!

Rothstein is a good reporter. I believe him more than I believe some honcho playing CMA.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2017, 11:04:18 PM »
Meaningless and unproveable.

We aren't on the outside trying to get in. We are in. We aren't going anywhere.

#actualfacts

So we are saying that membership is for life, like the Supreme Court.  No matter how bad it gets, like DePaul, or perhaps MU in a few years, the membership continues.  Cool, then pull the plug on the spending and pocket the money and ride the gravy train.  Or at least get our spending in line with the other members. 

Or am I  missing something, we like being the deep pocket big spender, gives a little swagger to our court presence.  When we come to town it is as the big a$$ team from Wisconsin.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2017, 09:00:45 AM »
That's not the point, but I'll  bite, probably an East Coast team.

Like who?  Cmon...don't cop out.  Be specific.

You don't understand why programs are selected for conferences.  They are selected because of the historic strength of the program and the media markets they open up.  A smart conference isn't going to look at a four year stretch of not making the post-season, and ignore the three straight sixteens beforehand.  They aren't going to ignore attendance figures.  They aren't going to ignore history.

The fact is that if MU was outside the BE right now, and it wanted to add one more team, Marquette would still be a very strong and logical contender.

All the self-hating complaining is just so f*cking tiresome.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:03:51 AM by Dr. Vinnie Boombatz »

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2017, 09:17:53 AM »
As was said, if we were not in the Big East, we would not be invited in. 

It seems to me that is a very big problem that goes to the very top of the basketball program.  Delusional thinking is the word that comes to mind.

I don't care how much MU pays or does not pay for it's program, the philosophy of the program is flawed as currently constituted in the  B.E.   

What is your point? If MU wasn't in the Big East now we wouldn't be invited, so that means we should just quit?

The recent level of play of the program isn't worthy of being in the league so MU should just quit?

We were better when we were independent, therefore being in the Big East is bad and we should drop out of the conference?

We simply can't recruit the players needed to win championships as a member of the Big East, so we should quit and go to a worse league and expect the situation to get better?

The BoT spends too much money on basketball being in the Big East and we're bad, so we should quit the league, go to a worse conference, spend less money on the program and somehow wind up getting better?

What are you talking about??
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »
Why?

They haven't dodged anybody. They play anybody, anywhere. Why would Butler and Marquette and even DePaul be tougher than any of the top-10 teams they play and routinely beat by 20+ points.

That streak is amazing, and the UConn women are the best dynasty in major sports, pro or college. I mean, who else is even close?

You really needed me to use teal?

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »
Our resume is weak...and if we were on the outside trying to get in, I'd expect a cool reception from the BE.

1.) Worth remembering that, as bad as Marquette is, they're nowhere near as bad as DePaul in the years before the Big East reformed, and DePaul got in.

2.) This entire line of thought is vacuous blather, existing solely in the realm of a hypothetical world lacking any overlap with reality. In other words, "Yea, and if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass when he hops."
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
The on-court success of UConn women's basketball, while amazing, is also irrelevant to the discussion of conference alignment. Women's college basketball simply doesn't impact the bottom line like the men's game.

After winning its fourth straight national title last season, the Huskies women's program earned $4 million in revenue while incurring $5.7 million in expenses (according to the U.S. Department of Education). Not one women's program in the country runs in the black. For comparison, the Marquette men's program generates $15 million in revenue against $9 million in expenses.

The women's title game was watched by just 3 million households — compared to 22 million viewers for the men's matchup between Villanova and North Carolina.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-financial-impact-of-championship-basketball/

http://college-sports.pointafter.com/l/15847/Marquette-University-Basketball

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/04/07/uconn-womens-basketball-ncaa-womens-tournament-tv-ratings/

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/ncaa-mens-basketball-title-game-ratings-tumble-on-cable-1201745947/
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2017, 01:20:17 PM »
UConn makes the Big East better for both men's and women's basketball.  If the dollars make sense, you bring them in and if they leave at some point in time, who cares.  The league won't be crippled by them leaving.  In the meantime, 2 less cupcakes on the menu.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
The on-court success of UConn women's basketball, while amazing, is also irrelevant to the discussion of conference alignment. Women's college basketball simply doesn't impact the bottom line like the men's game.

True but some UConn's womens' games have actually generated decent ratings. The game against South Carolina was the highest rated game this season on ESPN2.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-women-ratings-0215-20170214-story.html

I'm not sure that Fox ever plays women's games now. UConn Women's ball would give them another product to put on TV that would draw more eyes than some of things they currently have at  some slots. I'd rather watch UConn v. Tennessee women's than Depaul vs. Directional State men's.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
UConn makes the Big East better for both men's and women's basketball.  If the dollars make sense, you bring them in and if they leave at some point in time, who cares.  The league won't be crippled by them leaving.  In the meantime, 2 less cupcakes on the menu.

Perfect summary you got there. 

Costs
*Taking them back looks like we're taking back a promiscuous ex
*Their mascot enables rape culture

Benefits
*UCONN is a bonafide blueblood
*History with Big East
*NYC market, MSG, etc.
*Fewer cupcakes
*Women's team

erbsademon

• Walk-On
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2017, 02:07:39 PM »
I like it.  Add UConn, subtract DePaul.  DePaul needs to go to Conf. USA or Horizon league where they belong.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
Perfect summary you got there. 

Costs
*Taking them back looks like we're taking back a promiscuous ex
*Their mascot enables rape culture

Benefits
*UCONN is a bonafide blueblood
*History with Big East
*NYC market, MSG, etc.
*Fewer cupcakes
*Women's team

I've heard this joke a couple of times. Where did it come from?
TAMU

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »
I like it.  Add UConn, subtract DePaul.  DePaul needs to go to Conf. USA or Horizon league where they belong.

Be careful, it might be add UC subtract MU, or add UC plus one and subtract MU +DePaul, ouch.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »
Be careful, it might be add UC subtract MU, or add UC plus one and subtract MU +DePaul, ouch.

They won't subtract anyone.  Stop being dumb.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2017, 07:08:22 PM »
That's not the point, but I'll  bite, probably an East Coast team.

Dayton and SLU, of course.  :)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2017, 07:23:13 PM »

If people were dropped from the conference (which wouldn't happen) Depaul, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, Seton Hall, and Providence would all be on the chopping block before Marquette.
TAMU

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2017, 10:47:03 PM »
Lookie there, what I've been saying for the past 4 years. Now we just need Notre Dame.
Hey dont get greedy! I just hired a notre dame grad, and he said tounge  in cheek, "you may not know this Mr. Pudner, but Notre Dame used to be a football school.

Take UConn in a heartbeat, and 20-game round robin perfect.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »
I've heard this joke a couple of times. Where did it come from?

After UCONN unveiled the new mascot, some undergrad or humanities grad student went off on a blog post about how the husky has the intimidating, evil stare of a rapist.  Something along those lines.

Richie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2017, 07:47:43 AM »

If people were dropped from the conference (which wouldn't happen) Depaul, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, Seton Hall, and Providence would all be on the chopping block before Marquette.

This is a hypothetical and never to occur scenario you are all discussing, which is why I love scoop, but growing up in RI I was a Friar fan before a Marquette fan and trust me, PC (and Seton Hall, for that matter) would NEVER get chopped before MU. Not only are the founding fathers of the BE Friar legends, but the program is strong and storied.  That said, I'll be rooting for us hard next week, that is a big game we must win.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »

Why? There are more programs than Men's basketball. DePaul is arguably as strong or than MU across all common sports.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »
Everyone who wants to hold on to this all Hoops aspect is missing the point.  Leverage.  Keep the leverage it doesn't matter who teams 11 & 12 are.   It could be UConn & Cinci, as long as basketball schools have the numbers we have the leverage and we can add whoever.  All this stuff about Dayton and SLU is just plain embarrassing.  UConn, Cinci & Gonzaga should be only schools considered.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »
Why? There are more programs than Men's basketball. DePaul is arguably as strong or than MU across all common sports.

Like what? Certainly not volleyball, womens soccer, track, golf or tennis. Lacrosse as well only because they dont have a team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
This is a hypothetical and never to occur scenario you are all discussing, which is why I love scoop, but growing up in RI I was a Friar fan before a Marquette fan and trust me, PC (and Seton Hall, for that matter) would NEVER get chopped before MU. Not only are the founding fathers of the BE Friar legends, but the program is strong and storied.  That said, I'll be rooting for us hard next week, that is a big game we must win.

Providence is the one I wasn't sure on including in my list or not. But Seton Hall is absolutely on that list. Their school is nearly bankrupt. I'm not convinced they will be able to make good investments in basketball going forward.
TAMU

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »
All this stuff about Dayton and SLU is just plain embarrassing.
Someone needs to be bottom feeders, it can't just be DePaul
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2017, 05:16:12 PM »
Do you want to bet?  Just kidding.  Love the loyalty, but MU was at it's best when it was an independent, we had a chip on our shoulder.  I know the world has changed and that is my point. 

Hope my spelling meets your standards. 

Some teams are in weak leagues and play a strong non-conference schedule while some teams are in a strong conference and play a weak non-conference, there are many ways to skin a cat.

The product I saw at Madison Square Garden in the St. Johns game was not a competitive product.  It did not pass the eye test and not because of "this year" or the players or the coach.  As was said, if we were not in the Big East, we would not be invited in. 

It seems to me that is a very big problem that goes to the very top of the basketball program.  Delusional thinking is the word that comes to mind.

I don't care how much MU pays or does not pay for it's program, the philosophy of the program is flawed as currently constituted in the  B.E.   

Were number 5 atm. Better then half the conference. Is the big east going to 4 teams?

feedback