Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion  (Read 24564 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »

Well there's a girl that lives up the block
back in school she could turn all the boy's heads
Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by
and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
Her and her husband Bobby well they split up
I guess it's two years gone by now
We just sit around talking about the old times,
she says when she feels like crying
she starts laughing thinking about
Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

UConn is not Jennifer Lawrence. UConn is the world-weary woman in "Glory Days." She broke your heart when she started flirting with any football player who turned a head in her direction. For years, you may have even thought she was "the one that got away," and were nostalgic about what used to be. But then you see her a few years later dancing for dollars. A few extra pounds. A few extra scars. Tired. Run-down. Starved for attention. She ain't the girl she used to be.

Remember, you're not getting Jim Calhoun's UConn. You're getting Kevin Ollie's UConn, which, all respect to Ollie, but that 2014 UConn team was Calhoun's guys. Since then...

2014-15: UConn finished 5th in the American with a record of 20-15 (10-8). They lost at home to Arizona State in the First Round of the NIT.

2015-16: UConn finished 6th in the American with a record of 25-11 (11-7). A Georgetown team that went 15-18, and finished 8th in the Big East, beat UConn by 6 in Storrs. The Huskies only qualified for the NCAA Tournament by winning the American conference tournament. They lost in the second round.

2016-17: UConn is 12-12 (7-5), and currently sitting in 5th in the American. They lost to Wagner and Northeastern at home. They eked out wins over Loyola Marymount and Boston University. They lost at home to an Auburn team that is currently in 11th place in the SEC. They lost away to a Georgetown team that is 9th in the Big East.

just curious, how does our resume look over those same three years?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »
It's not about whether UConn's basketball program is good enough.

It's about money and priorities. UConn's eyes are on football money. Football is their priority.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:59:42 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2017, 11:24:01 AM »
Here's a long rant from the Hartford Courant following the Big 12's decision not to expand, with some selected excerpts of interest and commentary:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-jacobs-column-power-five-1024-20161023-column.html

"After the shameless beauty pageant by the Big 12, essentially having great universities put on their heels and spin around to be ogled, it's time for the Big 12 to be judged."

UConn was a more than willing participant, going to the extent of buying advertising space in Texas to help support their case. You wouldn't hear a peep of complaint from UConn if they had been accepted for expansion. But now they're sore losers railing against the unfairness of the Power 5 system. That's rich.

"In fairness to Cincinnati, to BYU, to Houston, to Boise State, to UConn, to USF and UCF and a dozen other schools, things need to change."

Ummm, wasn't UConn ready to drop Cincy, Houston and the rest of the AAC if it was chosen by the Big 12? Now you're the advocate of the little guy, the down-trodden, the oppressed, the ignored? Really?

"The Power 5 conferences essentially can act as a cartel, restricting membership, doling out hundreds of millions of dollars to long-standing weaker conference cronies while more competitive athletic programs are left on the outside."

Since football programs like Duke or Kansas have been doormats for a long time, they have no more right to be in a Power 5 conference than UConn. And apparently conferences shouldn't be able to make their own membership decisions or make broadcast agreements that exclude schools such as UConn.

"The massive problem is the Power 5 conferences are distributing $30 million to their schools. UConn got $10 million last year, mainly because of money from the dissolution of the Big East."

UConn thinks it's entitled to Power 5 money. Who cares if nobody wants to watch UConn football, or if companies aren't willing to pay big money to advertise on UConn football broadcasts.

This school and its supporters are simply delusional.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:26:01 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2017, 01:54:47 PM »
I have held the opinion since 2013 that UConn's membership in the American was simply not sustainable.  It was a temporary stopgap - either with an invitation to the ACC or B1G, or a reunion with the Big East.  UConn has nothing, absolutely nothing, in common academically, athletically, institutionally or locationally with schools like Tulane, East Carolina, Tulsa, Houston, SMU, UCF, USF, Temple, and Memphis.  Cincinnati could be made as an argument for, but that is only because they shared a conference affiliation for eight years in the old Big East.

The problem with UConn's current situation is that their administration and fan base believe they are entitled to a position in a power conference, in which case they are not - not due to personal opinion, but rather the power conferences have decided that.  They were late to the game in starting football.  They have not created a sustained and competitive football program, even with all of the resources they have poured into it.  They have not competed well against the likes of Houston, Memphis, Temple, Cincinnati, UCF, USF and even Tulane. 

Football is the problem - not the solution - to UConn's athletic future.  They need to cut their losses and make the financially responsible decision and de-emphasize FBS football, and focus on their bread and butter: basketball. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »

I see what you did there  ;D ;D ;D

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2017, 02:10:14 PM »
Speaking of delusional UConn fans. The thread on the Boneyard on this is hilarious. There seems to be three camps. 1. Screw the Big East, we're gonna get into the ACC or B1G one day. 2. Go to the Big East, we can always join the ACC or B1G later. 3. Screw football, let's get into the Big East now. The first one is the biggest camp, but camps 2 and 3 are bigger combined.

Included in the Boneyard thread are several gems including:

"People care more about Tulane basketball than Butler."

"AAC schools make more than BE schools."

"Recruits would rather play in the AAC because they will enjoy travelling to Houston and Dallas more than Milwaukee and Omaha."

"The AAC will overpasss the Big East soon because they invest more in coach's salaries and facility improvements."

My favorite exchange was this though:

"Why would leave the AAC now? It is just on the verge of becoming basketball relevant"
"You just answered your own question"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
"Why would leave the AAC now? It is just on the verge of becoming basketball relevant"
"You just answered your own question"

Queue SMU18's rant about Marquette coming begging to ask for admission into the A-10
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2017, 02:26:10 PM »

1.) I don't think anyone is claiming that the last three years of MU have been J-Law level beauty.
2.) Last I checked, the Big East hadn't adopted promotion and relegation, so our credentials for Big East membership are pretty well established by virtue of the fact that we are already Big East members.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »
DO it for the women's program.
The men can join as well.
They wouldn't have a 100 game win streak if they played in the Big East.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »
Hilarious.  Well done.

Thanks, amazing how deluded some me people can become.  The Board of Trustees have set down their mark, got it, now we live with it, period.

At the time Al McGuire retired, before his last BIG win, he gave as the reason for his retirement that he could no longer recruit the caliber of prayer necessary to be competitive at the highest level. 

Now 40 years later, and after the Buzz fiasco, I  get it.   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:20:43 PM by vogue65 »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »

False - have you actually looked at the schedule that they play?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »

Why?

They haven't dodged anybody. They play anybody, anywhere. Why would Butler and Marquette and even DePaul be tougher than any of the top-10 teams they play and routinely beat by 20+ points.

That streak is amazing, and the UConn women are the best dynasty in major sports, pro or college. I mean, who else is even close?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »
Yeah the UConn ladies are terrified to play a big East schedule......lol

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »

Our resume is weak...and if we were on the outside trying to get in, I'd expect a cool reception from the BE.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »
Our resume is weak...and if we were on the outside trying to get in, I'd expect a cool reception from the BE.

Me thinks there is some serious truth in that short comment.  Is anybody listening, short answer, no.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »

Meaningless and unproveable.

We aren't on the outside trying to get in. We are in. We aren't going anywhere.

#actualfacts

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2017, 06:27:51 PM »

#actualfacts

Do you want to bet?  Just kidding.  Love the loyalty, but MU was at it's best when it was an independent, we had a chip on our shoulder.  I know the world has changed and that is my point. 

Hope my spelling meets your standards. 

Some teams are in weak leagues and play a strong non-conference schedule while some teams are in a strong conference and play a weak non-conference, there are many ways to skin a cat.

The product I saw at Madison Square Garden in the St. Johns game was not a competitive product.  It did not pass the eye test and not because of "this year" or the players or the coach.  As was said, if we were not in the Big East, we would not be invited in. 

It seems to me that is a very big problem that goes to the very top of the basketball program.  Delusional thinking is the word that comes to mind.

I don't care how much MU pays or does not pay for it's program, the philosophy of the program is flawed as currently constituted in the  B.E.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2017, 06:41:46 PM »
Agreed, but here, the scenario is essentially:

We are dating Jennifer Lawrence.  Kate Upton comes up to us and says, she wants to date you.  You nicely explain, in front of Jennifer, that you are already taken.  Jennifer quickly chimes in, I'm ok with her joining the party.  Kate says, she's down with that too.

No way you say no, because eventually Kate might leave and then you are back to only getting Jennifer...enjoy the ride while you can.

One hell of a 3 way, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »
Cant belive no one has done some basic research on this yet. I did a quick google search on this and theres plenty of articles/links stating UCONNs A.D as well as the Big East Conf have both denied rumours that UCONN has been talking with the BE about possible expansion. It aint happening guys. never seemed realistic anyways

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2017, 07:16:10 PM »
Cant belive no one has done some basic research on this yet. I did a quick google search on this and theres plenty of articles/links stating UCONNs A.D as well as the Big East Conf have both denied rumours that UCONN has been talking with the BE about possible expansion. It aint happening guys. never seemed realistic anyways

Already been discussed, and neither UCONN or the Big East are going to come out and say that "oh yea were absolutely talking about a deal" during the middle of the basketball season. Thats just silly.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2017, 08:07:15 PM »

#actualfacts

The underlined was my point....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »

Jon Rothstein is sticking by his story.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2017, 08:20:30 PM »

Who would be invited instead?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2017, 09:33:34 PM »

No. Those have been brought up in this thread (if you did some basic research  ;)).

And what do you expect them to say in this situation? Pitt and Syracuse denied any talks with the ACC until it was practically #donedeal. It benefits neither side to admit to the talks until there is something concrete to talk about.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2017, 10:43:18 PM »

Who would be invited instead?

That's not the point, but I'll  bite, probably an East Coast team.