Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion  (Read 24574 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:21:33 PM »
http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstein-uconn-big-east-recent-discussions-expansion/

UConn and the Big East have had recent discussions about the Huskies coming back to the Big East.  The Big East would take back UConn for all non-football sports (including basketball), and UConn would find a new home for football.  The Big East would also keep a round-robin format, going to 20 conference games with eleven total teams.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
I'd love this.  But I think UCONN would have to agree to stay long term.  No bailing at the first chance.

Keeping the round robin and going to 20 game conference schedule would be great.  Lose 2 cupcakes, help everyone for RPI and SOS purposes.  Would be great for season ticket holders. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:37:21 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »
Lookie there, what I've been saying for the past 4 years. Now we just need Notre Dame.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
Please, dear God, do not let this happen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
This roundtable article lays out the pros and cons pretty well.  I would welcome UConn assuming they can park their football somewhere permanent.  Keep the double round robin and leave it at 11 teams (Dayton is somewhat interesting but that's about the only other program).  But right now UConn needs the Big East a lot more then the BE needs UConn.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2017/2/10/14580088/big-east-coast-bias-expansion-roundtable-uconn-big-east

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »
This roundtable article lays out the pros and cons pretty well.  I would welcome UConn assuming they can park their football somewhere permanent.  Keep the double round robin and leave it at 11 teams (Dayton is somewhat interesting but that's about the only other program).  But right now UConn needs the Big East a lot more then the BE needs UConn.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2017/2/10/14580088/big-east-coast-bias-expansion-roundtable-uconn-big-east

The problem with that debate is that it is strong on sentiment (double round robin and private schools) and short on what the issue is.  Money.

If UConn brings more money to each of the conference members, you do it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »
It's like being the starting point guard of the high school basketball team and dating the smokeshow, who then leaves you for the quarterback of the football team, has an ugly breakup with the quarterback, dates around with the entire rest of the football roster while you settle down with the super cute, super sweet girl, and then having the serial dating smokeshow come crying back to you after her 10th ugly breakup in a year and being like "Sweet!  I'll break up with the girl I've settled in with that is perfect for me!"

This is beyond stupid.  We just got out of this situation.  The second UCONN gets an invite to a P5 conference they are gone, no matter what the buyout $$ is.  The absolute only way this should ever even be considered is if UCONN first drops from D1 football.  If not, don't even entertain the conversation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »
Anyone question that "FanRagSports" is breaking this news and not like, a real news outlet?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
Anyone question that "FanRagSports" is breaking this news and not like, a real news outlet?

#AlternativeFacts
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »
It's Jon Rothstein who used to be with CBS who broke it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 01:57:01 PM »
This is beyond stupid.  We just got out of this situation.  The second UCONN gets an invite to a P5 conference they are gone, no matter what the buyout $$ is.  The absolute only way this should ever even be considered is if UCONN first drops from D1 football.  If not, don't even entertain the conversation.

And if that happens eight years from now, good for them.  Marquette can cash the checks in the meantime.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 02:04:06 PM »
It's like being the starting point guard of the high school basketball team and dating the smokeshow, who then leaves you for the quarterback of the football team, has an ugly breakup with the quarterback, dates around with the entire rest of the football roster while you settle down with the super cute, super sweet girl, and then having the serial dating smokeshow come crying back to you after her 10th ugly breakup in a year and being like "Sweet!  I'll break up with the girl I've settled in with that is perfect for me!"

I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 02:08:41 PM »
Interested if they drop football.

If not, pass.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »

FanRagSports has some legit sources.

Jon Rothstein for CBB.

Jon Heyman for MLB. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »
FanRagSports has some legit sources.

Jon Rothstein for CBB.

Jon Heyman for MLB.

Heyman is really good.  During baseball season, he's always on WFAN with the latest trade rumors.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »

This is dumb. To just ignore any school, let alone a well-known school like UConn, simply because they have a football program will keep the Big East from growing. We're a good conference now, but we can become better. I'm sure there's a way to write language into the conference agreements that accounts for leaving the conference early. I don't think adding UConn, or even a Cincinnati, Temple or UCF would be a bad thing. I see a lot more upside than downside there.

Plus, even if UConn or any other new addition did leave, we're just back to where we are today. We're not worse off.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »

1. FanRag is a legit stable of writers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 02:26:12 PM »
I would have absolutely no problem welcoming UConn into the fold under this scenario.

If they leave 3 or 5 or 10 years down the line, it won't be like when a bunch of programs bolted at once. It will be one departure and the Big East will be plenty strong enough to handle it.

The only 12th school I'd really want would be Notre Dame for all sports except football, and that's not gonna happen. Oh ... I guess I'd take Gonzaga for basketball only, but that's not gonna happen, either.

So 11 schools, round-robin, with 20 conference games, and with UConn, one of the Big East originals joining back up ... I'll take it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »

2. Fixed it for you.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 02:28:14 PM »
This is beyond stupid.  We just got out of this situation.  The second UCONN gets an invite to a P5 conference they are gone, no matter what the buyout $$ is. 

ridiculous statement to say the least.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 02:29:17 PM »
3. UCONN must bring more money from Fox. I don't think this will happen in the long run. If we are at the overinflation point of the sports bubble, I think holding ground is the best bet.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »
ridiculous statement to say the least.

You really think if the ACC or B1G came calling and UCONN was in the BE and had a giant buyout to leave the conference they would be scared away from leaving for those conferences?

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »
I don't see where UCONN can house their football program considering the money they've invested (wasted) trying to compete at the D1 level.  Unless the AAC would let them still play football there.  If they can pull it off, it would be a great addition.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
You really think if the ACC or B1G came calling and UCONN was in the BE and had a giant buyout to leave the conference they would be scared away from leaving for those conferences?

I don't see why this is an issue. We go back to 10 teams and an 18 game conference schedule. We also take some money for them leaving, but I don't know that it needs to be a ridiculous amount unless UCONN is that desperate. As long as the money per school is equal or more, I think UCONN is a no brainer.

The only thing that can threaten this conference is if the P5 start plucking basketball-only schools or if our current members with football go up a level. I'm not too worried about the latter and think we'd be a team plucked in the former.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:53 PM »

The problem with this analogy is that you're not breaking up with the super cute, super sweet girl for the smokeshow. You get to have both.

I think the more accurate comparison is the Big East is your standard average Joe. He is somehow given the chance to date Jennifer Lawrence (insert your own favorite celebrity crush). He knows there's a good chance they will break up after a few years, but what a few years those will be!

I've never gotten the fear of UConn joining and then leaving the Big East. We cash the checks for a few years and if they leave we are no worse for wear. As long as basketball only schools have the super majority there is no issue.

Also, I'm not convinced that UConn ever gets a P5 invite. I believe expansion is done for awhile and the B12 will get picked clean once their GoR is up. The B12 will either cease to exist or become the American 2.0 and get G5 money.

Real question is if fox ponies up the extra cash. If the answer is yes, you take them. If not, you don't.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback