[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion  (Read 24929 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2017, 07:32:14 AM »

And if that happens eight years from now, good for them.  Marquette can cash the checks in the meantime.

Exactly! Then the Big East just goes back to... its exact same excellent current state with 10 teams that aren't going anywhere. No downside, only upside.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »
Marquette should leave the Big East and play with their owne kind in the A-10 or Conference USA.
Let schools with better BOT's have their league.
The other night I watched Syracuse play Louisville and W.V. play Kansas and there was NO COMPARISON to the so-called Big Eadt or especially Marquette.
It is not Wojoes fault or the players it is the BOT.
Al McGuire was forced out just like Buzz.
So much for affermative action, our BOT thinks Marquette is Bucknell, Princeton or NYU.
We are no better than Fordham, George Mason, St. Bonaventure or VCU.  We should be playing Richmond and not St. Johns or Seton Hall.
Marquette will never be Duke or Northwestern.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2017, 07:55:59 AM »
Marquette should leave the Big East and play with their owne kind in the A-10 or Conference USA.
Let schools with better BOT's have their league.
The other night I watched Syracuse play Louisville and W.V. play Kansas and there was NO COMPARISON to the so-called Big Eadt or especially Marquette.
It is not Wojoes fault or the players it is the BOT.
Al McGuire was forced out just like Buzz.
So much for affermative action, our BOT thinks Marquette is Bucknell, Princeton or NYU.
We are no better than Fordham, George Mason, St. Bonaventure or VCU.  We should be playing Richmond and not St. Johns or Seton Hall.
Marquette will never be Duke or Northwestern.

Hilarious.  Well done.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
Before I'd take UCONN I'd take Gonzaga, St. Mary's, SLU, Dayton, Richmond, VCU, Wichita State, George Washington, and probably many others.  And I want nothing to do with any of those schools.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »
Before I'd take UCONN I'd take Gonzaga, St. Mary's, SLU, Dayton, Richmond, VCU, Wichita State, George Washington, and probably many others.  And I want nothing to do with any of those schools.

Lol. At least you're consistent.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2017, 08:01:05 AM »

Wow so your argument is based on emotion alone, good call
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »
Wow so your argument is based on emotion alone, good call

No.  It's based on taking schools that would be like minded in their basketball focus and not schools that are looking for a place that will provide a band aid for them until they can find a conference to jump to as soon as possible.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »
No.  It's based on taking schools that would be like minded in their basketball focus and not schools that are looking for a place that will provide a band aid for them until they can find a conference to jump to as soon as possible.

There is no logic that put's Gonazaga over UConn let alone the rest of your list. Gonzaga would bring in little to no additional revenue for the conference and would actually cost the conference more money in the long run because of travel costs associated with the non-revenue sports.

Even if UConn rents the Big East for several years until some unicorn offer from a power conference comes along the Big East will still be better off.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2017, 08:17:59 AM »

You've already broken the ABD rule.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2017, 08:19:34 AM »
There is no logic that put's Gonazaga over UConn let alone the rest of your list. Gonzaga would bring in little to no additional revenue for the conference and would actually cost the conference more money in the long run because of travel costs associated with the non-revenue sports.

Even if UConn rents the Big East for several years until some unicorn offer from a power conference comes along the Big East will still be better off.

Right.  This is why the original girlfriend analogy was a poor one.  This isn't an emotional decision based on a potential life partner.  This is a business decision that balances the short and long term financial interests of the conference.

No one can really tell me what the downside is if UConn joins and leaves in five years if we can cash bigger checks in the meantime.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »

Right.  This is why the original girlfriend analogy was a poor one.  This isn't an emotional decision based on a potential life partner.  This is a business decision that balances the short and long term financial interests of the conference.

No one can really tell me what the downside is if UConn joins and leaves in five years if we can cash bigger checks in the meantime.

How much more money do people actually think UCONN will be bringing to the conference?  Do people really think Fox is going to pony up for the opportunity to temporarily put one extra program in the conference?

There is no possible way that UCONN adds such a substantial amount of money that you don't pass them up if Gonzaga doesn't even bring in enough to cover travel costs for a west coast trip every other year for non-revenue sports teams.  Sorry, but somebody will have to provide me with the money involved to get me to believe that.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2017, 08:24:06 AM »
You've already broken the ABD rule.

I see your ABD and will raise you WFW (Whatever Fox Wants).

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »
I think the more accurate comparison is the Big East is your standard average Joe. He is somehow given the chance to date Jennifer Lawrence (insert your own favorite celebrity crush). He knows there's a good chance they will break up after a few years, but what a few years those will be!

Well there's a girl that lives up the block
back in school she could turn all the boy's heads
Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by
and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
Her and her husband Bobby well they split up
I guess it's two years gone by now
We just sit around talking about the old times,
she says when she feels like crying
she starts laughing thinking about
Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

UConn is not Jennifer Lawrence. UConn is the world-weary woman in "Glory Days." She broke your heart when she started flirting with any football player who turned a head in her direction. For years, you may have even thought she was "the one that got away," and were nostalgic about what used to be. But then you see her a few years later dancing for dollars. A few extra pounds. A few extra scars. Tired. Run-down. Starved for attention. She ain't the girl she used to be.

Remember, you're not getting Jim Calhoun's UConn. You're getting Kevin Ollie's UConn, which, all respect to Ollie, but that 2014 UConn team was Calhoun's guys. Since then...

2014-15: UConn finished 5th in the American with a record of 20-15 (10-8). They lost at home to Arizona State in the First Round of the NIT.

2015-16: UConn finished 6th in the American with a record of 25-11 (11-7). A Georgetown team that went 15-18, and finished 8th in the Big East, beat UConn by 6 in Storrs. The Huskies only qualified for the NCAA Tournament by winning the American conference tournament. They lost in the second round.

2016-17: UConn is 12-12 (7-5), and currently sitting in 5th in the American. They lost to Wagner and Northeastern at home. They eked out wins over Loyola Marymount and Boston University. They lost at home to an Auburn team that is currently in 11th place in the SEC. They lost away to a Georgetown team that is 9th in the Big East.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:33:07 AM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »

Some people are more susceptible to advertising and propaganda than others. That is the party line, I don't buy it. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2017, 08:34:10 AM »
How much more money do people actually think UCONN will be bringing to the conference?  Do people really think Fox is going to pony up for the opportunity to temporarily put one extra program in the conference?

There is no possible way that UCONN adds such a substantial amount of money that you don't pass them up if Gonzaga doesn't even bring in enough to cover travel costs for a west coast trip every other year for non-revenue sports teams.  Sorry, but somebody will have to provide me with the money involved to get me to believe that.

The well is going to run dry and sooner than we think.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:41 AM »

Well there's a girl that lives up the block
back in school she could turn all the boy's heads
Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by
and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
Her and her husband Bobby well they split up
I guess it's two years gone by now
We just sit around talking about the old times,
she says when she feels like crying
she starts laughing thinking about
Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

UConn is not Jennifer Lawrence. UConn is the world-weary woman in "Glory Days." She broke your heart when she started flirting with any football player who turned a head in her direction. For years, you may have even thought she was "the one that got away," and were nostalgic about what used to be. But then you see her a few years later dancing for dollars. A few extra pounds. A few extra scars. Tired. Run-down. Starved for attention. She ain't the girl she used to be.

Remember, you're not getting Jim Calhoun's UConn. You're getting Kevin Ollie's UConn, which, all respect to Ollie, but that 2014 UConn team was Calhoun's guys. Since then...

2014-15: UConn finished 5th in the American with a record of 20-15 (10-8). They lost at home to Arizona State in the First Round of the NIT.

2015-16: UConn finished 6th in the American with a record of 25-11 (11-7). A Georgetown team that went 15-18, and finished 8th in the Big East, beat UConn by 6 in Storrs. The Huskies only qualified for the NCAA Tournament by winning the American conference tournament. They lost in the second round.

2016-17: UConn is 12-12 (7-5), and currently sitting in 5th in the American. They lost to Wagner and Northeastern at home. They eked out wins over Loyola Marymount and Boston University. They lost at home to an Auburn team that is currently in 11th place in the SEC. They lost away to a Georgetown team that is 9th in the Big East.

Well put.  Jim Calhoun isn't walking back through those gym doors for UCONN.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2017, 09:00:28 AM »

I don't know what Fox would bring to the table.  If they don't bring enough, then you don't add them.  If they sweeten the pot so that everyone gets more, then you consider it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2017, 09:15:43 AM »

Again, if UConn joined, they couldn't leave until 2026 at the earliest. By then, the next round of realignment would have happened and no one will be looking at UConn to join. The move is likely to be more permanent than you think.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »

Nope. UConn is JLaw after a bad break up. She's down, needs some time to wear sweatpants and eat Ben and Jerry's, but will be back on her feet in no time. Remember, UConn has 4 key players injured and a 5th one missed multiple games due to concussion. No team can stay competitive after injuries like that.

We can stick up our noses all we want, but UConn is a better and more prestigious program than any currently in the Big East. The biggest criticism I hear against the Big East is the lack of marquee program. Villanova might become that, but they aren't there yet. UConn adds a legitimate blue blood to the Big East. Takes us from 3rd or 4th best basketball conference to 2nd.

The other reality is, expansion is happening whether you like it or not. Before 2026, we need to add at least one, if not more programs to make ourselves more attractive to Fox. Wades, has made it clear that thinks there are better candidates. But I really don't think there is a bigger fish that we could land. UConn is a program that moves the needle. Its a team people are excited to play against. It renews a lot of old rivalries from the Big East. This is a rare opportunity where a deal would truly benefit both sides.

If Fox is willing to pony up the extra cash for UConn, home run. If not, than no.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »
We don't know what the FOX contract really looks like.  There's a chance it could say that if certain revenues or ratings are being met, FOX can re-open it.  Adding UConn might be a pacifier / solution to FOX rather than a way of getting more money.

Do this deal in a heartbeat.  Make the deal points work for you.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
Nope. UConn is JLaw after a bad break up. She's down, needs some time to wear sweatpants and eat Ben and Jerry's, but will be back on her feet in no time. Remember, UConn has 4 key players injured and a 5th one missed multiple games due to concussion. No team can stay competitive after injuries like that.

We can stick up our noses all we want, but UConn is a better and more prestigious program than any currently in the Big East. The biggest criticism I hear against the Big East is the lack of marquee program. Villanova might become that, but they aren't there yet. UConn adds a legitimate blue blood to the Big East. Takes us from 3rd or 4th best basketball conference to 2nd.

The other reality is, expansion is happening whether you like it or not. Before 2026, we need to add at least one, if not more programs to make ourselves more attractive to Fox. Wades, has made it clear that thinks there are better candidates. But I really don't think there is a bigger fish that we could land. UConn is a program that moves the needle. Its a team people are excited to play against. It renews a lot of old rivalries from the Big East. This is a rare opportunity where a deal would truly benefit both sides.

If Fox is willing to pony up the extra cash for UConn, home run. If not, than no.

Yep yep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2017, 09:48:22 AM »

I'd also point out that if UCONN is the Glory Days lady, MU is something worse. I have no doubt our program will return to one of the top programs in the country but we are further down than UCONN so should the Big East kick us out and bring in UCONN? Chicklet's argument would seem to come to that conclusion

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:19 AM »
I'll believe UConn joins the Big East when I see it.

It's not about our level of interest. UConn simply doesn't want to be in the Big East. And the only reason why is football.

The administration at UConn is mesmerized by the money and prestige of major college football. Big 12 schools each receive $30 million a year; the entire AAC gets $18 million. UConn believes it truly belongs at that level and that without big-time football, it will forever be seen as a second-tier university. Real-world economics has little to do with it. The more financial pressure the state applies, the more desperately school leaders look to the miracle of football as the answer. They're beyond seeing logic.

Finding another home for the football program is not the answer. No such home exists. The ACC and Big 12 aren't interested. And as long as UConn continues to believe it belongs in a power football conference, anyplace else would be a downgrade. (Not to mention the fact that there's not a lot in it for the AAC or MAC to have UConn as a football-only member).

The situation reminds me of Aesop's "The Dog And Its Reflection." A dog (the UConn Huskies, natch) with a bone (a great basketball program) looks down as it's crossing a stream and sees its own reflection in the water. Taking it for another dog carrying something better (football), it opens its mouth to bark at the "other" dog — and drops what it was carrying.

UConn's obsession with football will ultimately be its undoing.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:10:55 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »
I'd also point out that if UCONN is the Glory Days lady, MU is something worse. I have no doubt our program will return to one of the top programs in the country but we are further down than UCONN so should the Big East kick us out and bring in UCONN? Chicklet's argument would seem to come to that conclusion

We are trending up, UCONN is trending down.  And we're already in the conference, don't have a football program, and aren't looking to bounce ASAP.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »
About 10 minutes ago I had an opinion about this. At this point I just want more threesome analogies woven together with some pop songs. How about Jenifer Aniston. Angela Jolie and a Neil Young song. Go. Feel free to edit my girl friend and music choices.

feedback