[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion  (Read 24930 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Big East/UConn in Discussions for Reunion
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 05:39:40 PM »
Negotiating 101: The best time to make a deal is when the other party is desperate and you are not.

Negotiating 101, lecture #2:

And you walk away if the desperate party tries to get more than it has to give back....

Class71

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »

And if that happens eight years from now, good for them.  Marquette can cash the checks in the meantime.

Agreed. Nothing goes on forever. Adjust as the situation dictates.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »
Would Xavier ever let Cincy back in?

Class71

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2017, 06:14:19 PM »
Would Xavier ever let Cincy back in?

Depends if they get mugged.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2017, 07:14:22 PM »
I am all for letting UConn back in to the Big East.  Mostly because I currently live in CT and would love to watch MU beat them in Storrs.  And I could trash talk all my coworkers. So fun.

Plus MU had some of its best seasons when it was in the Big East with UConn.  Ever since the conference realignment, the Butlers (who used to play UWM twice a year) and Creightons (God only knows what conference they were in previously) of the world have somehow surpassed us in relevance.  Bring UConn back and make MU great again!   :P

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »
If UConn is let into the Big East, pound for pound, Big East has a chance to be toughest conference in the land.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2017, 07:35:21 PM »
If the logistics work out, you have to accept UCONN into the Big East.

With that being said, their fans are such arrogant pricks and keep saying stuff like the AAC will catch up to the Big East because the schools put more money in (not true) and "Tulane has a bigger national image than Butler" that I wouldn't mind to see them absolutely rot it that hellish conference.

Especially when Cinci gets invited to go somewhere else.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/02/15/big-east-says-no-discussions-taken-place-uconn/

This article says no talks have took place in the title. However, it goes on to say that they have another "league source" who says talks have taken place. My guess is that where there is smoke, there is usually a fire. However, the talks be in very preliminary stages at this point. It really doesn't benefit either side to have the talks be public until something is finalized.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2017, 07:45:23 PM »
Negotiating 101, lecture #2:

And you walk away if the desperate party tries to get more than it has to give back....

Agreed. I think we can a nice fat buyout and possibly give UConn a lower share for a few years as a new member.
TAMU

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2017, 07:56:35 PM »
This is the kind of thread that makes Scoop great.  A lot of good points made on both sides here.

I am quite undecided.  See the advantages and disadvantages.  I guess we will have to let the Athletic Departments and Fox sort this one out.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2017, 08:48:48 PM »
Repay the Big East exit fees UCONN cashed and we can talk reentry.  Their admin has looked wantonly at every league and has been rejected like a two bit hooker.  AMF

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
The Big East isn't your Average Joe.  It's already someone that is dating Jennifer Lawrence, and worthy of that.

Agreed, but here, the scenario is essentially:

We are dating Jennifer Lawrence.  Kate Upton comes up to us and says, she wants to date you.  You nicely explain, in front of Jennifer, that you are already taken.  Jennifer quickly chimes in, I'm ok with her joining the party.  Kate says, she's down with that too.

No way you say no, because eventually Kate might leave and then you are back to only getting Jennifer...enjoy the ride while you can.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:52:55 PM by forgetful »

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
Still amazes me to see all these top recruits still end up in rural Storrs, CT. Last year when I was there I had to dodge an angry skunk outside their basketball arena.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »
If Randy Edsall can turn Uconn's football program around again I can see a major football conference come calling.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2017, 09:46:03 PM »
If Randy Edsall can turn Uconn's football program around again I can see a major football conference come calling.

I doubt it. Too many media contracts tied up for years and UConn won't bring the eyeballs to renegotiate.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2017, 09:56:14 PM »

I doubt it. Too many media contracts tied up for years and UConn won't bring the eyeballs to renegotiate.

The big 12 may need to add two teams in the future in order to have a conf championship game to keep up with the other major conferences. If Uconn has one of the best football teams of the lower 5 conferences they would be an intriguing option if you left out geography. However, we've seen geography doesn't take priority with re-alignment.  Houston and SMU makes sense geographically, but who knows how good Houston will be in football going forward without Tom Herman. Two options for the big 12 are Memphis, who has an up-and-coming football program and South Florida, who just hired Charlie Strong.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2017, 09:56:52 PM »
This is the kind of thread that makes Scoop great.  A lot of good points made on both sides here.

Nicely said. Every once in awhile, amidst all the poop, a flower blooms!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
One thing I forgot. The Big East schools signed over their digital rights to Fox. Essentially, this means that until 2026, no other channel can air Big East basketball without Fox' permission. So if UConn were to join, they too would sign over their digital rights to Fox. If they were to leave for say the ACC, they wouldn't be allowed to broadcast on ESPN. Of course that can be negotiated, but it essentially creates two buyouts. And my guess is that Fox would make that buyout very severe if they were going to lose programming to their number 1 competitor.

If UConn were to join, they would be stuck in the Big East...until 2026 at least.
TAMU

🏀

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2017, 10:33:11 PM »
Agreed, but here, the scenario is essentially:

We are dating Jennifer Lawrence.  Kate Upton comes up to us and says, she wants to date you.  You nicely explain, in front of Jennifer, that you are already taken.  Jennifer quickly chimes in, I'm ok with her joining the party.  Kate says, she's down with that too.

No way you say no, because eventually Kate might leave and then you are back to only getting Jennifer...enjoy the ride while you can.

The problem then is JLaw says, hey remember to keep that awesome schedule we have going, you have to take Upton and this girl Carrot Top.

All of a sudden you're checking out this Carrot Top girl from Dayton, Ohio. You know you are not taking Carrot Top for the team, hell you aren't even sure Carrot Top is a woman.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2017, 10:42:25 PM »
The problem then is JLaw says, hey remember to keep that awesome schedule we have going, you have to take Upton and this girl Carrot Top.

All of a sudden you're checking out this Carrot Top girl from Dayton, Ohio. You know you are not taking Carrot Top for the team, hell you aren't even sure Carrot Top is a woman.

How many props can fit in a Chevy Cavalier?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:01 PM »
DO it for the women's program.
The men can join as well.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2017, 04:55:13 AM »
The big 12 may need to add two teams in the future in order to have a conf championship game to keep up with the other major conferences. If Uconn has one of the best football teams of the lower 5 conferences they would be an intriguing option if you left out geography. However, we've seen geography doesn't take priority with re-alignment.  Houston and SMU makes sense geographically, but who knows how good Houston will be in football going forward without Tom Herman. Two options for the big 12 are Memphis, who has an up-and-coming football program and South Florida, who just hired Charlie Strong.

The B12 can have a championship game with only 10. That is why they chose not to expand when they were seriously considering it just a few months ago. Their tv partners didn't want it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2017, 05:58:16 AM »
How many props can fit in a Chevy Cavalier?

Too many.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2017, 06:41:10 AM »

While I really enjoy the analogy, this just isn't correct, we don't have to take Carrot Top girl. We can go to 11 teams, play a 20 game round robin schedule and figure out how to get members some OOC games during conference season (Gonzaga and St Marys anyone?) and we're good to go.

Basically it's like JLaw and Kate saying we really like redheads and us saying, well instead of getting that Carrot Top girl, how about we agree to dress in drag and red wig from time to time.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2017, 07:00:33 AM »
I am highly skeptical of Ollie long term (in fact, believe he bolts to the NBA in next three years) but you discuss their RPI without context. Yukon has been devastated by injuries this year. The fact that they are in the top half of their league (substandard as it is) speaks well of their resilience.

Yes, they have four (4) players out-for-the-season all who would get significant playing minutes plus they had another top player miss several key games with a concussion.

feedback