[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Alumni Game on 2/17  (Read 11709 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Alumni Game on 2/17
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 10:19:47 PM »
I assume MU will release a bunch of photos and videos, as they were shooting from multiple angles -- including flying a drone inside the Al.

The pre-game thing was solid.  Good size crowd outside, some light food and entertainment, with a 5 minute firework show shot off from the parking garage.

The game was as you'd expect .. a few dozen MU players scrapping up a game.   The young guys did a decent job running the court, trying to find the older guys to get them some points ..  Great to see guys like John Cliff, Amal McCaskill, Roney Eford, Jamil Lott, Scott Merrit, Aaron Hutchins, Marcus Jackson working hard.

It was all good fun for them, and the crowd.  The Al was .. maybe half full.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 10:24:32 PM »
I assume MU will release a bunch of photos and videos, as they were shooting from multiple angles -- including flying a drone inside the Al.

The pre-game thing was solid.  Good size crowd outside, some light food and entertainment, with a 5 minute firework show shot off from the parking garage.

The game was as you'd expect .. a few dozen MU players scrapping up a game.   The young guys did a decent job running the court, trying to find the older guys to get them some points ..  Great to see guys like John Cliff, Amal McCaskill, Roney Eford, Jamil Lott, Scott Merrit, Aaron Hutchins, Marcus Jackson working hard.

It was all good fun for them, and the crowd.  The Al was .. maybe half full.

Student section might have been more full then a few real games. Take note mu. More late night Friday Saturdays  = more students

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 11:55:28 PM »
A friend posted on facebook about how great it was. I'm also looking for some details.
I flew out to see the alumni game on short notice. It was something the school should do again. They had a number of the all time greats there both in uniform playing as well as many sitting on the sidelines. Bo Ellis and Earl Tatum were the coaches. Don Kojis, was on the sidelines, he looks great at 78.

There were players from every era that played. Travis  Diener did a not job distributing the ball to a lot of the older guys for easy layups.

It was fun to see guy like Gary Brell, Artie Green, Micheal Sims, William Gates etc play

Guys like Rick Cobb and Walter Downing were on the sidelines.

There was a tremendous dunk on the last second of the game.

Decent fan attendance. MU did a nice job and I think it was great that the current players were able to see some of the schools historic figures.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 12:19:05 AM »
I assume Wojo and staff were in attendance.  Can you guys believe our coaching staff is so uncommitted that they're spending the night before a huge game putting on a scrimmage for former players?!

(Yes, I have legitimately heard more than one MU fan complain that the coaching staff plays "noon ball" rather than focusing on coaching up the team.  Those people are totally spot on.  Wojo and staff are getting paid way too much money to get any exercise in, to eat lunch or dinner, to spend time with their families, etc.  If they aren't in the Al video room every second they aren't coaching the team in games or practices they need to be shown the door.  What do these guys think this is, CYO?!)

(P.S., forget that Bazz...who they all want back..."BringBackBuzz.org"...ran something like the equivalent of running across America on a treadmill to lose weight while at Marquette or something...)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:20:38 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 12:31:54 AM »
I assume Wojo and staff were in attendance.  Can you guys believe our coaching staff is so uncommitted that they're spending the night before a huge game putting on a scrimmage for former players?!

(Yes, I have legitimately heard more than one MU fan complain that the coaching staff plays "noon ball" rather than focusing on coaching up the team.  Those people are totally spot on.  Wojo and staff are getting paid way too much money to get any exercise in, to eat lunch or dinner, to spend time with their families, etc.  If they aren't in the Al video room every second they aren't coaching the team in games or practices they need to be shown the door.  What do these guys think this is, CYO?!)

(P.S., forget that Bazz...who they all want back..."BringBackBuzz.org"...ran something like the equivalent of running across America on a treadmill to lose weight while at Marquette or something...)
The whole coaching staff was there. Diener played in the game. Guys on the team were assistance coaches. Was fun watching Markus Howard call out plays.
            ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 05:18:54 AM »
Did they have quality huddles?  Who was SOTG?  How many points did Dawson have?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 06:36:51 AM »
On Twitter, Broeker mentioned planning already started for the next one. It was a very fun event.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 06:46:11 AM »
Details? Pictures? Videos? Give us the "scoop", Topper.

Article and picture gallery

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021717aab.html

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 07:36:02 AM »
For the winning team we thought SOTG was Roney Eford. But the Todd Townsend dunk was unbelievably good.  Woulda won easily during Marquette Madness.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:59:43 AM by jsglow »

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 08:05:42 AM »
Does Artie still have wings?

Artie was basket hanging and got a breakaway on one possession. 

However I'd guess his vertical is probably 30" less than it used to be.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 08:42:30 AM »
Indeed, the Todd Townsend dunk as time ran out was stupendous.  Want to see video of that.

Loved to see Markus Howard 100% into the game, barking at the players, giving slaps of 5 as players drifted in and out of the game.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
Speaking of alumni basketball players...

Glow and I went to Sobelman's after the game and struck up a conversation with the guy sitting next to us at the bar.  Turns out he was a walk-on in the '80's, and this was his first time back on campus in awhile.  We exchanged a few pleasantries and told each other a little bit about ourselves, and then he said,

"Okay, I have to ask you this...are you guys on MUScoop?"

"Um....yes..."

"Are you Warriorchick and Glow?"

Turns out this guy reads Scoop every day, but never posts. I won't reveal his name out of respect for his privacy, but he told us some great stories of his time on the team. Small world, eh?
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
Student section might have been more full then a few real games. Take note mu. More late night Friday Saturdays  = more students

Television and arena availability are the biggest factors in determining the start time of games.  I think MU would have them all on Saturday evening if they could, but it really isn't up to them.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »
Artie was basket hanging and got a breakaway on one possession. 

However I'd guess his vertical is probably 30" less than it used to be.

I really enjoyed Artie and Pops.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 12:04:34 PM »
And I think I've convinced another 'era' player to tie on the sneakers next year if they do it again. He was there for the full weekend but didn't play. I won't mention names out of respect.  He's still in great shape so no worries on that front.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »

Glow and I went to Sobelman's after the game and struck up a conversation with the guy sitting next to us at the bar.  Turns out he was a walk-on in the '80's, and this was his first time back on campus in awhile.  We exchanged a few pleasantries and told each other a little bit about ourselves, and then he said,

"Um....yes..."

Turns out this guy reads Scoop every day, but never posts. I won't reveal his name out of respect for his privacy, but he told us some great stories of his time on the team. Small world, eh?

Does he live in the Milwaukee metro area?  I know a guy that fits part of that description.  He is a great guy and I would think much less of him if I found out he was one of us.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 12:19:15 PM »
Does he live in the Milwaukee metro area?  I know a guy that fits part of that description.  He is a great guy and I would think much less of him if I found out he was one of us.

LOL my lips are sealed. If he wants to identify himself, he knows how.
Have some patience, FFS.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 03:05:05 PM »
I really enjoyed Artie and Pops.

I spoke with Pops Sims Saturday night.  He founded an academy back home near Grand Rapids, working with kids.

Back in the day, as conditioning, the team used to run a lap around campus (roughly one mile), and I asked Pops if he ever lost that run.  He said he never would let anyone beat him because he was the point guard.   The point guard had to be the leader.

And his wife (a radiologist) added "He wouldn't be winning any races now".

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:09:21 PM by oldwarrior81 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 08:14:12 PM »

But he told us today that he's enjoyed his two days of scoop fame.   ;D

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »
I spoke with Pops Sims Saturday night.  He founded an academy back home near Grand Rapids, working with kids.

Back in the day, as conditioning, the team used to run a lap around campus (roughly one mile), and I asked Pops if he ever lost that run.  He said he never would let anyone beat him because he was the point guard.   The point guard had to be the leader.

And his wife (a radiologist) added "He wouldn't be winning any races now".
Pops hit a nice baseline 3 in the game
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 08:56:37 PM »

"Um....yes..."

Ha ha.  Great story.  Who picked up the tab?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »
Ha ha.  Great story.  Who picked up the tab?

We went Dutch.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »
Saw a former player walking into Turners after the game.  Traditional, early 60's, with about 8 ear rings in right ear. Looked mean as hell....throwback to Al's persona.  Anyone know who this is?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 09:58:19 PM »
And I think I've convinced another 'era' player to tie on the sneakers next year if they do it again. He was there for the full weekend but didn't play. I won't mention names out of respect.  He's still in great shape so no worries on that front.

Yep, if he was the guy that sat with the group Newsie and I were with, I agree. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 10:53:41 AM »
I haven't heard any mention of George Thompson.  Was he missing all weekend?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback