Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Vander Blue  (Read 17150 times)

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
Re: Vander Blue
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 12:35:42 PM »
You missed the point as well when it comes to Matthews.  Matthews became an NBA player during his senior year making a huge jump from his junior year.

Something else kind of important happened between Wes' junior and senior year that wouldn't have happened for Vander.  Not trying to downplay Wes' contribution, but how much of that was a "jump" in skills and how much was a new coach -- in Wes' words -- "taking the chains off?"

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
Tell that to Wesley Matthews or Buddy Hield.  Staying another year could have been the catalyst from becoming undrafted to drafted. School provides an environment with unlimited resources to improving your game, while going at it alone provides a much more difficult ascent.  Blue had an opportunity to put the team on his back and show the nation what he could do.  Instead, he chose a route that sent him into obscurity where the threshold fQataror success is much higher.

Wesley wasnt drafted though.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »
Still trying to get a call-up, but doing well in the lower leagues. Whats the average D-League salary now?

http://hoopshype.com/2017/02/14/vander-blue-i-know-im-an-nba-player-i-know-its-gonna-happen/
Thanks for posting. I am hoping Vander realizes on his dream. I respect the young man for staying focused and positive. He has come a long way.

Vander had a big chance this summer in the Rookie League. He played in both sessions for the Mavs. He perform well in the first session in Orlando, but he did not perform in the bigger stage in Las Vegas. If he could have put together two strong performances I think he may have at least earned an invite to an NBA training camp.

He has now had a longer career with the LA D Fenders than with MU.I think he will get one last chance if he stays in the D League.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 10:13:38 PM »
Something else kind of important happened between Wes' junior and senior year that wouldn't have happened for Vander.  Not trying to downplay Wes' contribution, but how much of that was a "jump" in skills and how much was a new coach -- in Wes' words -- "taking the chains off?"

You beat me to it.  Wes made the jump when Crean bailed!  That was the best move for him.  Was the 3rd option in the 3 Amigos.  Crean goes Crimson and Wes shines.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 09:29:27 AM »
He has now had a longer career with the LA D Fenders than with MU.I think he will get one last chance if he stays in the D League.

Unfortunately, even as someone who is a big Vander fan, the Lakers are the wrong team for that shot.  You take out guys like Deng, Metta World Peace, and Nick Young (who is probably getting traded), and you have one of the youngest cores in the league.  They have their developmental guys, Vander hasnt been called up in awhile, it wont happen now.

His best bet is to go the Dwight Buycks route and perform well in Europe to gain some further notice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
Watching Henry play for the Drive a few times this year, I am struck by the number of 6'4 guards in the NBDL who all shoot better than Vander did at MU.    (Maybe he can now).     Last week, I watched Gabe York (how is that name for a blast from the past?), trying to make the conversion to a PG, absolutely rain 3's to try to rally his team.     And it occurred to me that Vander is one of 50 guys in the NBDL his size who can do exactly what he does hoping to get one of a handful of slots on the end of the bench in the show.   It is like being a cute blonde in Hollywood.   So much evenly matched competition for so few spots.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 09:40:20 AM »
Watching Henry play for the Drive a few times this year, I am struck by the number of 6'4 guards in the NBDL who all shoot better than Vander did at MU.    (Maybe he can now).     Last week, I watched Gabe York (how is that name for a blast from the past?), trying to make the conversion to a PG, absolutely rain 3's to try to rally his team.     And it occurred to me that Vander is one of 50 guys in the NBDL his size who can do exactly what he does hoping to get one of a handful of slots on the end of the bench in the show.   It is like being a cute blonde in Hollywood.   So much evenly matched competition for so few spots.   

This pretty much nails it.  Also doesn't have much upside at that height.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
His best bet is to go the Dwight Buycks route and perform well in Europe to gain some further notice.
Should have done that a couple years ago.  Father Time, unfortunately, is starting to run out on Vander.  As others have posted, there are too many 6'4" guys in the NDBL who can do what he does.  Vander is probably leaving a lot of money on the table sticking the D-League chasing a dream that is fading?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »

Crazy the razor thin margin that can take you from $30k in the d-league to a 2-year guaranteed couple million $ deal like Buycks got

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »
Should have done that a couple years ago.  Father Time, unfortunately, is starting to run out on Vander. 

He's 24.  Got plenty of years left to earn $$$.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »

Exactly.

Look at the college guards drafted in the 2nd Round of the 2014 Draft (the year Blue could have been drafted had he stayed). They're all bigger than VB or true PGs and all of them are better shooters from distance. The only way Blue could have had a chance at being drafted would be if he played 30+ minutes at the point as a senior and carried MU on a tourney run with shooting and distributing. 6'4" slashers are a dime a dozen.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
Can we focus a little attention on the fact that Blue seems to have grown up?  Really enjoyed reading the interview.  We're all so focused on the "what could have been" scenarios as opposed to the now.  Vander's working his butt off in the G-League and is on the right track as one of the best players in it. He's still reppin' Marquette plenty as well.

Wish him the best and I think his time will come to be a role player on an NBA squad.  He's better than the guards coming off Milwaukee's bench already.  Should lose Vaughn and give Vander a shot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:22:11 AM by Ellenson_toMU14 »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »

He's 24.  Got plenty of years left to earn $$$.

Yep, Vander was a young college player, so leaving a year early was almost like leaving as a soph. A good amount of player development still takes place between age 24 & 27. There's still time to get his game in NBA shape.

Speaking of, did anyone else know Markus Howard is only 17 years old?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
Can we focus a little attention on the fact that Blue seems to have grown up?  Really enjoyed reading the interview.  We're all so focused on the "what could have been" scenarios as opposed to the now.  Vander's working his butt off in the G-League and is on the right track as one of the best players in it. He's still reppin' Marquette plenty as well.

Wish him the best and I think his time will come to be a role player on an NBA squad.  He's better than the guards coming off Milwaukee's bench already.  Should lose Vaughn and give Vander a shot.

Vander is definitely not better than Rashad Vaughn (who isn't good).  Not for what is needed in the NBA.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
Exactly.

Look at the college guards drafted in the 2nd Round of the 2014 Draft (the year Blue could have been drafted had he stayed). They're all bigger than VB or true PGs and all of them are better shooters from distance. The only way Blue could have had a chance at being drafted would be if he played 30+ minutes at the point as a senior and carried MU on a tourney run with shooting and distributing. 6'4" slashers are a dime a dozen.

Agreed. I actually thought Blue was one of the rare players that could have actually benefited from staying a year rather than declaring after a dominant tournament run. Only way Blue was going to make the Association was as a PG...which he had never played in college. If he came back and showed he could run the point effectively and improved his 3P shooting (two very big ifs), I think he could have had a shot. But who knows, its a purely academic exercise at this point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 09:50:39 PM »
Agreed. I actually thought Blue was one of the rare players that could have actually benefited from staying a year rather than declaring after a dominant tournament run. Only way Blue was going to make the Association was as a PG...which he had never played in college. If he came back and showed he could run the point effectively and improved his 3P shooting (two very big ifs), I think he could have had a shot. But who knows, its a purely academic exercise at this point.
You never know, he still has a chance

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 11:43:53 PM »
Vander is definitely not better than Rashad Vaughn (who isn't good).  Not for what is needed in the NBA.

I'd give Vander a shot over Rashad.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »
I'd give Vander a shot over Rashad.

Yeah. Why wouldn't a team go with the older, smaller, worse-shooting option?

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »
I feel like Scoop has this same conservation every couple months. Vander's had his chances and it didn't work out. He's probably not going to develop into a different player now. The good news is that he's still got a decade and maybe more to collect some shekels (perhaps literally) overseas. Go East young man.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
Some times it works out. That was sort of Crowder before this year. Some guys have a little something extra that doesn't show in the stat sheet or measurements, but makes guys like Brad Stevens want them on their teams.

I'm not sure Vander is that guy, but it's great to hear him staying positive and holding on to his dream. Also interesting to hear that he summers with Crowder. Crowder's shooting took a massive jump forward this year, so maybe they are working together on that. Vander is at a respectable 37% this year on 5 attempts a game. If that jumps into the low 40s next year I think he gets the call.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 10:06:25 AM »
I really like Vander a lot and would love to see him stick in the association. If I were him, the opportunity cost of what I could have made overseas these past couple of years would be piling up and weighing a little more heavily all the time. But he seems at peace in his personal calculation of what keeping the dream alive is worth to him, and I respect him for that.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
2 seasons ago Vander was playing more of a combo guard spot in the D-League, averaging over 5 assists per game.

Looks like he's at the 3 this year.   3pt% is a respectable 37.2% on 183 attempts this year.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
Yeah. Why wouldn't a team go with the older, smaller, worse-shooting option?

Vaughn sucks.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 01:39:23 PM »
Vaughn sucks.

Which tells you where Vander is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »

feedback