[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How Do You Margarita?  (Read 5654 times)

Benny B

• All American
How Do You Margarita?
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
My quest for the perfect Margarita has reached a plateau... I have a basic recipe that I like and a ratio that strikes a perfect balance between proof (53 from the bottle, ~40 from the glass) and smoothness, and the flavor/aroma will rival anything from a high-end establishment, but it still seems like it's missing something.  On the side, I've been experimenting with different bittering agents and extracts but I'm wondering if there's something more obvious that I might be missing.

Does anyone have their own Margarita recipe (that doesn't involve a bottle of Chairman Bob's Drink Mix), and if so, would you mind sharing and/or critiquing my recipe below?

Benny's Basic Margarita Recipe
3 parts Silver Tequila (Kirkland)
1 part Anejo Tequila (Kirkland)*
2 parts Cointreau
2 parts Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
1 part Organic Blue Agave Syrup (Wholesome)
Equal parts Kosher Salt and Turbinado Sugar (for rim of glass)

*If I have it on hand, I will substitute up to 1/2 part of the anejo with resposado (Corralejo)

Pour at room temperature and shake over ice.  Strain over single 2" cube in a Margarita glass ("short") or two 2" cubes in a pint glass ("tall").
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: How Do You Margarita?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »
This one is pretty simple, but very good.

1 can frozen lime-aid

Fill now empty frozen lime-aid container with tequila of choice (pour into pitcher)

Fill now empty frozen lime-aid container with Sprite (pour into pitcher)

1 Corona.

Mix, then serve over ice.

Simple, but super good.  And strong. 

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »

1 can frozen lime-aid

Fill now empty frozen lime-aid container with tequila of choice (pour into pitcher)

1 Corona.

And that's just after one sip.
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »
Throw in trash. Pickup Vodka.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 05:45:24 PM »

And that's just after one sip.

Well you're an old lady, so no surprise there.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:22:13 PM »

2 parts Cointreau

Ever try Grand Marnier instead of Cointreau?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
Ever try Grand Marnier instead of Cointreau?

From my bartending days, I was indoctrinated to the belief that Grand Marnier was the superior orange liqueur in all recipes, so about half of my trial recipes have used GM and some I've even mixed it 50/50 with Cointreau. While I would certainly concede that GM has a superior orange aroma, it doesn't counterbalance the "heat" of the alcohol nearly as well as Cointreau does.  In fact, one of my batches I ran short of GM, so I left the batch as is and both my wife and I felt it had a stronger alcoholic taste compared to any of the Cointreau batches despite it having a 5% lesser alcohol content (~30 proof).  Triple sec, being typically constructed of dilute grain alcohol and orange flavoring, has an inferior flavor/aroma and even adds its own harshness... one batch was all it took before I abandoned it completely (I've gone through 6-7 bottles of GM and 4-5 of Cointreau, yet half the bottle of triple sec is still sitting in my cabinet a year later).

Since I'm adding minimal water and sugar (which typically performs the counterbalancing function), the Cointreau becomes all the more important.  Maybe it has something to do with the lower glycemic level of the agave, but in a more dilute and/or sweeter mix where the orange liqueur isn't having to pull double duty, I'd most likely prefer GM to Cointreau.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »

Wow, sensitive much? Lay off that shi*ty margarita recipe and you will feel better.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
Wow, sensitive much? Lay off that shi*ty margarita recipe and you will feel better.

Seriously.  Being revolted at the thought of mixing beer and limeade does is not what makes me an old lady.

Why don't you just save a couple of steps and drink one of those nasty Bud Light Lime-a-ritas?
Have some patience, FFS.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
Make mine with simply Tequila, Cointreau  and juice of a lime. shake and pour

recently had a killer one that had pepper infused tequila, Dimi, lime juice, Cointreau  and cilantro that knocked my socks off. I will be trying to replicate that soon.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »
Crean drinks margaritas.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »

In my experience, I would trust an old lady with a margarita. Those ladies go wild at Jimmy Buffett.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 01:16:45 PM »
Seriously.  Being revolted at the thought of mixing beer and limeade does is not what makes me an old lady.

Why don't you just save a couple of steps and drink one of those nasty Bud Light Lime-a-ritas?

I was worried more about having to have my foot amputated from diabetes from drinking a couple of those than it tasting like Lime-A-Ritas.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »

1 can frozen lime-aid

1 Corona.

Sounds like a glorified Strip and Go Naked.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 08:11:12 PM »
On the rocks with sea salt rim job.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 10:21:21 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 03:31:26 AM »
On the rocks with sea salt rim job.

I didn't get a rim job but I was serviced while sitting on the rocks sea side at the Banyan Tree on Bintan Island...

Death on call

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 09:58:36 AM »
Not a big Margarita drinker, but my wife is and she has been all about the Mangoneada Margarita. I must admit, they are pretty damn good.

http://winedharma.com/en/dharmag/july-2014/summer-cocktail-mangoneada

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 06:21:19 PM »
Brown hair,  white smile, nice teats, Brazilian, legy.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 06:54:12 PM »
I didn't get a rim job but I was serviced while sitting on the rocks sea side at the Banyan Tree on Bintan Island...

You too, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
My quest for the perfect Margarita has reached a plateau... I have a basic recipe that I like and a ratio that strikes a perfect balance between proof (53 from the bottle, ~40 from the glass) and smoothness, and the flavor/aroma will rival anything from a high-end establishment, but it still seems like it's missing something.  On the side, I've been experimenting with different bittering agents and extracts but I'm wondering if there's something more obvious that I might be missing.

Does anyone have their own Margarita recipe (that doesn't involve a bottle of Chairman Bob's Drink Mix), and if so, would you mind sharing and/or critiquing my recipe below?

Good recipe Benny. Just made one.
2 parts Cointreau

*If I have it on hand, I will substitute up to 1/2 part of the anejo with resposado (Corralejo)

Pour at room temperature and shake over ice.  Strain over single 2" cube in a Margarita glass ("short") or two 2" cubes in a pint glass ("tall").

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »

You too, hey?

so nice that you two lads took turns on each other.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 11:13:48 AM »
A slight tangent, last Summer I made some margaritas using pineapple juice. Here is the thing, for the juice I cut up a whole pineapple and smoked it on the smoker for an hour or so. Juiced it and used that juice, it was good the smoke wasn't overpowering just a nice change of pace. Have not tried it yet but how does a
Jack and  smoked Coke sound? A couple of you folks really know your cocktails so maybe this is old hat?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 03:11:07 PM »
A slight tangent, last Summer I made some margaritas using pineapple juice. Here is the thing, for the juice I cut up a whole pineapple and smoked it on the smoker for an hour or so. Juiced it and used that juice, it was good the smoke wasn't overpowering just a nice change of pace. Have not tried it yet but how does a
Jack and  smoked Coke sound? A couple of you folks really know your cocktails so maybe this is old hat?

Isn't crack supposed to be bad for ya?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »

2 parts Cointreau

You are using Costco Tequila?