[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: When will Markus Howard stop pouting? New starting lineup  (Read 10402 times)

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
When will Markus Howard stop pouting? New starting lineup
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:49:36 AM »
1.  Wilson
2.  Rowsey
3.  Fischer
4.  JJJ
5.  Hauser

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: When will Markus Howard stop pouting? New starting lineup
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »
Pouting?  I guess I am unaware of pouting.  Inconsistent play lately, yes, but not pouting.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
This place is the worst right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »
Pouting?

Source?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »

Wildfire
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »
1.  Wilson
2.  Rowsey
3.  Fischer
4.  JJJ
5.  Hauser

Unfounded with the pouting accusation. However, I do think switching him and Rowsey would be smart. Markus has hit the wall. Even the simple stuff of ball reversal and drop-offs are troubling him. You can see him thinking through everything these last few games rather than playing by instinct as he has since the Vandy game. Coming off the bench can refresh the mindset and get him back to the player he was in January.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »
1.  Wilson
2.  Rowsey
3.  Fischer
4.  JJJ
5.  Hauser

Were you just listing players or are those numbers supposed to reflect their positions? Because Fischer at the 3 seems less than ideal....
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
pouting? strange take.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 10:07:04 AM »
A terrible characterization. 

That being said, I wonder if Markus is tired. 

Remember Big Daddy reporting he went to the gym to shoot after the VU win?  This kid is working a lot and the toll of a Big East season is tough.  I remember a few times that Buzz would even ease up on the kids at this point in the year to ensure no burn-out.  Have to pace yourself - particularly in Yr 1

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
Pouting?

Source?

I heard he was either too tired or refused to slap fives with Cam.

#Iamthesource
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »
I haven't seen Markus pout once.  If he is, the only thing he has to pout about lately is his game.  But I haven't seen it. 

I am down for a lineup change though.  However, this would be my lineup:

1. Markus
2. Rowsey
3. JJJ
4. Katin
6. Luke

Would be fine with Rowsey at the 1 and Duane at the 2 as well.  I think we need to put our best offensive foot forward.  We know this team can't defend, but we do know we can score.  So let's focus on putting up 15-20 before the first media timeout, and this is the lineup to do it.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
Unfounded with the pouting accusation. However, I do think switching him and Rowsey would be smart. Markus has hit the wall. Even the simple stuff of ball reversal and drop-offs are troubling him. You can see him thinking through everything these last few games rather than playing by instinct as he has since the Vandy game. Coming off the bench can refresh the mindset and get him back to the player he was in January.

He is awfully small and I think that is frustrating him against the bigger BE players.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »
I haven't seen Markus pout once.  If he is, the only thing he has to pout about lately is his game.  But I haven't seen it. 

I am down for a lineup change though.  However, this would be my lineup:

1. Markus
2. Rowsey
3. JJJ
4. Katin
6. Luke

Would be fine with Rowsey at the 1 and Duane at the 2 as well.  I think we need to put our best offensive foot forward.  We know this team can't defend, but we do know we can score.  So let's focus on putting up 15-20 before the first media timeout, and this is the lineup to do it.

JjJ has got to sit. I'd go

1. Rowsey
2. Haanif
3. Duane
4. Katin
5. Luke

I'd have Hauser and Markus ready for significant minutes depending on foul/performance issues with Wowsey and Katin. JjJ's gonna get minutes because Duane has foul trouble but I'd try and minimize JjJ as much as possible.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 11:30:55 AM »
There are 3 freshmen in the country with an ORtg > 115 & usage > 24%. Zags' Zach Collins, Kentucky's Malik Monk & Marquette's Markus Howard.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »
I'd give Markus every minute he can handle. He plays the most important position on the court and the best incoming PG we have had since DJames. Play the kid and play him hard.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
1.  Wilson
2.  Rowsey
3.  Fischer
4.  JJJ
5.  Hauser
Pathetic. Just irresponsible.

curi15

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 11:41:45 AM »
I understand Haanif's defense is solid, but offensively speaking, here is the lineup that we need to start off:

1.)Rowsey
2.)Duane
3.)JJJ
4.)Reinhardt
5.)Luke

Duane is providing a spark a lot recently and as frustrating as he has been in the past, he has kept us competitive lately and we can rely on his drives to the basket.  Hauser and Howard are off, and maybe need less minutes here and there.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »
Markus has been fine, has had some foul trouble leading to sporadic minutes, a little bit harder to get his shot off now, but geez he is way way down on the list of problems. I think Wojo should be giving him a little longer leash too. He's a bit quick with the AR subs on a MH turnover now.  He and Luke are the only concrete starters to me. Everything else could be mixed up to start off.

I can get behind Duane at the 2, and JJJ at the 3. Sam needs to start getting more aggressive and taking more than just wide-open looks, I'd still keep him in with the starters. HC is the switch out imo. Small value defensively over DW is overshadowed by DWs leadership and offensive capabilities.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
I'd give Markus every minute he can handle. He plays the most important position on the court and the best incoming PG we have had since DJames. Play the kid and play him hard.

I like the kid very much, but he is a 2G playing the point.  Even on a team with a gaping hole at PF, the biggest thing we are missing is that heady-coach-on-the-floor PG.  We have had a long string of good to great PGs (Miller/Hutchins/Henry/Deiner/James), then solid PGs (Acker/Cadougan/Buycks), to a poor one (Ners archenemy), to really not having one at all now. 

I like a PG who is a QB that looks to get everyone involved and gets them the ball where they can do something with it, and as good and fun as Rowsey and Howard are, they aren't that type of player.  Wilson actually does that, but I don't know if he has the ball handling skills to play PG.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »
CT Warrior

Complete agreement on the position and 80% agreement on Howard role at position. My hopes is he becomes  the QB on the court as he matures. Currently a 2 but believe he has big upside at the 1. IMO the PG makes or breaks a team in today's game.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
JjJ has got to sit. I'd go

1. Rowsey
2. Haanif
3. Duane
4. Katin
5. Luke

I'd have Hauser and Markus ready for significant minutes depending on foul/performance issues with Wowsey and Katin. JjJ's gonna get minutes because Duane has foul trouble but I'd try and minimize JjJ as much as possible.
Haanif can't score should go with all our scorers and just try to score as many points as fast as possible considering the defense can't get a stop

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »
I mean Markus has some limitations at this point, but to call him not a pg right now is a bit over the top. He's a leader. He's had a little bit of a tough stretch, but between him and DW. They own all the leadership stars this team has given out this season. Wish he could break guys down a little better and do more than just initiate the offense, but his overall qualities outweigh his shortcomings at this point. As a freshman, he belongs in that first group. All of those guys had issues that put limitations on the team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
Right now neither Rowsey or Howard are going to be able to lock anyone down. Both can make you pay if you let them get their shot off, though Rowsey has been ever so slightly better recently in that regard. What is setting Rowsey apart is he attacks the basket with purpose. If the shot isn't there he keeps his dribbler and has some nice dump off passes to Luke for the dunk or to the corner for a 3 point look. He finishes significantly better at the rim than Howard, who leaves his feet and leaves himself the only option of trying to finish over 3 significantly taller defenders. Rowsey is also much better at creating contact both on the drive and on the perimeter.

Hopefully Howard grows 3+ inches this offseason and they can both be on the court at the same time next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »
Right now neither Rowsey or Howard are going to be able to lock anyone down. Both can make you pay if you let them get their shot off, though Rowsey has been ever so slightly better recently in that regard. What is setting Rowsey apart is he attacks the basket with purpose. If the shot isn't there he keeps his dribbler and has some nice dump off passes to Luke for the dunk or to the corner for a 3 point look. He finishes significantly better at the rim than Howard, who leaves his feet and leaves himself the only option of trying to finish over 3 significantly taller defenders. Rowsey is also much better at creating contact both on the drive and on the perimeter.

Hopefully Howard grows 3+ inches this offseason and they can both be on the court at the same time next year.
We don't know if he will grow but he is 17 if you didn't know so he might still hit a growth spurt

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 12:30:13 PM »

Yep.  He's hit the freshman wall, but he will play through it.