'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Dark One Returneth: Wojo Report Card - A Failure  (Read 47661 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: The Dark One Returneth: Wojo Report Card - A Failure
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »
Wojo has full support through this season. If he doesn't make the NCAA this year or next year, the nay sayers will be in more control than the backers at that point. Wojo lacks for nothing in terms of support for the university, and so with our history and support, if he can't return us to the NCAA tournament in his first 5 years....he should be gone. And I say that as one of the biggest Wojo supporters on the board. He's gotta get us in this year or next...if not find someone who can.

But next year is his 4th year not 5th.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »
Progress has been made in terms of revamping the culture. But the lack of success on the court is the critical measurement. Wojo isn't getting fired this year but there are some who are very concerned.

Frankly, the current product is mediocre.

The current product is Wojos inability to recruit inside players that can really play in the Big East.  Starting with no players from Buzz, to signing a one and done player
like Henry, stuck Wojo behind from the get go.  Wojo made a mistake with the Ellensons, he is paying for it now.  With Carter and Rowsey here, he then signed Howard which caused Carter to leave.  I love Howard and his potential, but 3 pigmy players at one time?   Then the Cohen, Johnson, Reinhardt situation, we all believe
Reinhardt is better than Cohen but the chemistry might be worse with Reinhardt.  Better just to recruit 4 year players but Wojo needed bodies and still does for next
year.  More grad transfers.  I think 2018 is the most important year to figure out his regime.  See what happens.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2017, 03:51:02 PM »
Wojo has full support through this season. If he doesn't make the NCAA this year or next year, the nay sayers will be in more control than the backers at that point. Wojo lacks for nothing in terms of support for the university, and so with our history and support, if he can't return us to the NCAA tournament in his first 5 years....he should be gone. And I say that as one of the biggest Wojo supporters on the board. He's gotta get us in this year or next...if not find someone who can.

Right, 5 years. Next year is only 4. If we're talking 5 years, then I agree.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
The current product is Wojos inability to recruit inside players that can really play in the Big East.  Starting with no players from Buzz, to signing a one and done player
like Henry, stuck Wojo behind from the get go.  Wojo made a mistake with the Ellensons, he is paying for it now.  With Carter and Rowsey here, he then signed Howard which caused Carter to leave.  I love Howard and his potential, but 3 pigmy players at one time?   Then the Cohen, Johnson, Reinhardt situation, we all believe
Reinhardt is better than Cohen but the chemistry might be worse with Reinhardt.  Better just to recruit 4 year players but Wojo needed bodies and still does for next
year.  More grad transfers.  I think 2018 is the most important year to figure out his regime.  See what happens.

Henry Ellenson was not a mistake. Nor is taking grad transfers. If I had it my way, we'd grab one of the top 10 grad transfers every season. If recruiting better players results in transfers from the back end of your bench, so be it. Such is life in major college athletics.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
Did Buzz overachieve, or is he just a better coach? Given what he did at MU and what he's doing at VT, I think it's pretty clear that he's a better coach. He had some learning curve issues at MU in his first season or two, but he was always able to get more out of his teams than was expected. The fact that he got guys like Lazar and Jae into the NBA speaks volumes about his abilities as a coach, IMO.

I don't know that I see Wojo ever being that kind of coach. If anything, Wojo's system seems to have limited some of our better athletes. Maybe he'll have more success with his own recruits. Buzz somehow figured out to coach someone else's guys, though.
After I wrote this I regretted some of my wording. I should have said something like Buzz exceeded my expectations. I don't think it is fair to compare what Buzz is doing at VT to Wojo's situation at MU, two very different mandates. I will agree though that he got a lot out of his players. Wojo is still learning the BEast and what he needs to compete. I don't think Wojo has a good BEast rooster, maybe next year? He is learning.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2017, 07:11:27 PM »
i like wojo, but he hasn't recruited the type of player he was at all.  i don't see any "floor slappers here"  he's recruited some mighty fine "basketball players", but now he needs to coach them.  when plan "A"(run n gun) don't work, he has no plan "B".  plan "B" should be to slow it down and get the no footer or foul or...don't just keep gunning cuz if you find yourself shooting, let's say about 9-10% from the arc, you are going to get your bike supporter handed to you every time. 

wojo needs to get a few more experienced old school coaches in there to bring the "basketball players" he has brought here, to the next level

Bingo. 

I said it once before and got beat up for it. This team lacks 40 minutes of intensity, not talent. If they ever put a full 40 minutes of intense basketball together they would be dangerous.

Sigh.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2017, 09:04:03 PM »
Henry Ellenson was not a mistake. Nor is taking grad transfers. If I had it my way, we'd grab one of the top 10 grad transfers every season. If recruiting better players results in transfers from the back end of your bench, so be it. Such is life in major college athletics.

He will agree to disagree, half this board wants Wojos head.  I say lets see what he does in the upcoming next 2 years.  He will have is own company then.  DWilson
will be the last of Buzz's recruits.  Henry was a mistake only that it set him back to really to year 1 again.  They won last year with Henry, so for MU faithful that was important, Henry did not get them to a tourney, so was he the right recruit?  Maybe, maybe not.  Wojo thought he was staying 2 years.  If he was at MU right now, I
think they would be really good.  Happens in the college landscape now.   Because of Henry leaving, he had no choice but to go for a grad transfer.  Going forward
I am sure that will happen again this year, the team next year needs some more experience.  After next year,  classes wiill be even distributed so he will not have to do it.  Wojo I am sure is well awhere of the situation.  He works the recruiting trail hard,  MU gives him the budget to it.  He has 5 more athletes to pick up the next 2 years, has Bailey, and maybe Joey.  I am pretty sure he will hold one for 2018 besides those 2, leaves him the opportunity to pick up grad this spring.  Then MU fans
will know what they have, plus the best new arena in the country.  I think he should be able to sell that!  If not, good-bye!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2017, 12:40:05 AM »
I'd wager a large sum of money if there are no NCAAs this year or next that Wojo isn't here after next year barring some sort of unforeseen issue like major injuries or something
Wojo is here for the long run. They are actively considering another contract extension as we speak .  He doesn't have to make the NCAA this year or next year to keep his job. He is the consummate corporate inside player. He has the 100 percent confidence of Lovell, who remains deeply infatuated. As long as Lovell is secure in his job, Wojo will be secure in his.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »
Have to run, last time, Wojoe is a great coach, the problem is risk/reward, the university does not want to take the risk one needs to take to be competative in the BE or high level intercolegete basketball.  That does not make them bad or wrong it just makes them conservative.
So your argument is that Marquette can't be competitive until it takes JUCOs and/or players of questionable character.  I see
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
Wojo is here for the long run. They are actively considering another contract extension as we speak .  He doesn't have to make the NCAA this year or next year to keep his job. He is the consummate corporate inside player. He has the 100 percent confidence of Lovell, who remains deeply infatuated. As long as Lovell is secure in his job, Wojo will be secure in his.

I cannot believe that with attendance dropping and student interest virtually nonexistent that the administration is considering another extension. I realize Wojo probably needs his five years, but why commit past that when you don't know what is going to happen here?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2017, 08:58:23 AM »

LOL

Why do you gotta make it awkward, bro?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
LOL

Why do you gotta make it awkward, bro?

It is true tho. If you look, you'll find Lovell a few rows behind the bench at every road game. I don't think he misses a game. My guess is he loves Wojo and is going to give him all the time he needs, but I also think he is genuinely a fan and wants Marquette to improve and become nationally relevant again.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »

If Wojo doesn't get a winning BE season record, heck even a 9-9 season in first four years, there's no way he should stay on, 100 percent confidence or not.

Look at NC State, they just canned Gottfried, who lead them to four straight NCAAAs and two Sweet 16s in his first four seasons.  Then a couple of bad years and bye-bye........

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »
If you read about Lovell and how he ran UWM, he's not a guy who makes bold leadership decisions to create headlines, but a guy who charts a path and plays the long game toward that direction.  It seems like he is doing the same thing at MU and with the basketball program. 

Remember he's an engineer.  He designs and builds things. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2017, 09:11:38 AM »
It is true tho. If you look, you'll find Lovell a few rows behind the bench at every road game. I don't think he misses a game. My guess is he loves Wojo and is going to give him all the time he needs, but I also think he is genuinely a fan and wants Marquette to improve and become nationally relevant again.

I have seen Lovell at just about every sporting event I have attended, non-MBB. Especially at home.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2017, 09:15:51 AM »

Clearly Al would not have been hired by this group. He was not a corporate guy. He was just a winner. I know little about Lovell so maybe someone can enlighten me. I've heard him speak a few times and apparently this is not his strong point. Appears he is researcher that somehow got into administration at UWM before coming here. I assume he was hired to raise money but does he have anything else to offer.

If what you say is true, that Lovell likes corporate guys and does not hold people accountable, MU'S issues could go beyond basketball. Please tell me I am wrong.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »
If Wojo doesn't get a winning BE season record, heck even a 9-9 season in first four years, there's no way he should stay on, 100 percent confidence or not.

Look at NC State, they just canned Gottfried, who lead them to four straight NCAAAs and two Sweet 16s in his first four seasons.  Then a couple of bad years and bye-bye........

There is no way I would give Wojo an extension now and I by and large agree that an NCAA by next year is a must.

That being said, NC State really isn't a model on how Marquette should run its athletic department.  They have consistently tried to make the "splashy" choice with its basketball coach and have tried to make laughable runs at the likes of John Calipari before.  Now if they end up with Gregg Marshall or Archie Miller, I would have to eat those words...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2017, 09:17:57 AM »
I have seen Lovell at just about every sporting event I have attended, non-MBB. Especially at home.

That's cool. I can honestly say I've never attended anything other than a MBB since he took over, but the point remains. He is flying around the country to watch the MBB team play. Clearly he cares (and likely prioritizes that program).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2017, 09:24:04 AM »
That's cool. I can honestly say I've never attended anything other than a MBB since he took over, but the point remains. He is flying around the country to watch the MBB team play. Clearly he cares (and likely prioritizes that program).

For sure.  My further point, he cares about the whole university and to your point, he knows MBB success and support is critical.  He may have flaws in other aspects, but he is very involved with all athletics.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »
I cannot believe that with attendance dropping and student interest virtually nonexistent that the administration is considering another extension. I realize Wojo probably needs his five years, but why commit past that when you don't know what is going to happen here?

Consider the source
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »

Wojo's current problem is not Lovell.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »
Keefe 

Good call.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »
Keefe 

Good call.

Joe - But what the f#ck do we know!

You in China these days? We are working with PowerChina on three projects.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:38 PM »
Dan

Not sure on next China trip, but probably early March. Have several domestic trips I need to get out of the way first.

I do agree, what the Fxxk do we know!!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2017, 07:47:51 PM »
Lovell lost a lot of credence almost right away when he didn't inform Dick Strong about the Wojo hire until AFTER he was hired...Big Mistake. Not sure how/why you alienate your largest donor like that but he did. Lovell can love Wojo all he wants, but what matters most is what the BOT thinks of him..they will ultimately be the ones to decide.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback