[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Dark One Returneth: Wojo Report Card - A Failure  (Read 48082 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: The Dark One Returneth: Wojo Report Card - A Failure
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »

I might be missing something, but who said that Wojo's in "total rebuild mode" this year?

Many here are still excusing the product by saying we're still in a rebuilding phase.

brandx

« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
Many here are still excusing the product by saying we're still in a rebuilding phase.

We are. Next year will be the 1st season that Wojo has his guys.

Then it will be time to hold him accountable.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »

Wojo is still in the process of building the program.  Some thing we should be further along than we are.

But "total rebuild mode?"  No one has said that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
I still think if you let it be known you're willing to make someone one of CBB's highest paid coaches..you'd get interest in the MU job from names you may not have thought possible. Money talks.

I don't think Marquette can afford that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »
??? So Wojo's in total rebuild mode in year three with two starters and a key reserve as holdovers but Buzz wasn't because he had two years to prepare for it? Hasn't Wojo also had two years to prepare?

Again, I didn't disagree. I just think a coach starting from a strong position and having to replace talent is different than a coach starting from a weak position and having to build talent. I'm not saying one is harder than the other. I just wouldn't call them the same thing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »
I still think if you let it be known you're willing to make someone one of CBB's highest paid coaches..you'd get interest in the MU job from names you may not have thought possible. Money talks.

Hasn't been da case in da past, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
Again, I didn't disagree. I just think a coach starting from a strong position and having to replace talent is different than a coach starting from a weak position and having to build talent. I'm not saying one is harder than the other. I just wouldn't call them the same thing.

Fair enough.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2017, 04:28:15 PM »

Hasn't been da case in da past, ai na?

Does that mean if we pay more we do no better? If that is the case are we overpaying or did we hit the optimal point? That is, Wojo is the best that MU can do? Do we believe that or are we afraid of the risk associated with change? Thoughts?

I admit I do not know but if this is the best we can do this trip is not going to be fun.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

muguru

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2017, 04:48:12 PM »
I don't think Marquette can afford that.

It has been said by many that would know, $$$ is no object for MU in paying a Coach.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »
It has been said by many that would know, $$$ is no object for MU in paying a Coach.

That simply isn't true.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »

Was that before or after we alienated Dick Strong by not including him in the Wojo hire?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »
Was that before or after we alienated Dick Strong by not including him in the Wojo hire?

Now that is a good question..pretty sure it was before, but still may be the case..MU has plenty of wealthy donors...the question is, how do they perceive the program and it's trajectory right now?? I'd love to hear that answer.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »

Every school has a "top price" it's willing to pay. I'm guessing Shaka had to be pretty high up there in our top-price zone.

I'm trying to figure out how Scoop would have reacted if MU had paid top dollar for a guy to lead us to a 10-15 record in Year 2. Probably nice and calm and content, eh?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »
Every school has a "top price" it's willing to pay. I'm guessing Shaka had to be pretty high up there in our top-price zone.

I'm trying to figure out how Scoop would have reacted if MU had paid top dollar for a guy to lead us to a 10-15 record in Year 2. Probably nice and calm and content, eh?

This is obsession may be bordering on ners/chicos levels

muguru

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2017, 06:30:15 PM »

Rip on Shaka all you want, but you seem to forget he took UT to the dance his first year there, when not many expected them to go. I can also guarantee you if he were at MU, this team WOULD be playing defense...and an exciting brand of it as well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »
Rip on Shaka all you want, but you seem to forget he took UT to the dance his first year there, when not many expected them to go. I can also guarantee you if he were at MU, this team WOULD be playing defense...and an exciting brand of it as well.

Who didn't expect Texas to go? They were picked preseason to finish 4th in a conference that traditionally sends 7 or 8 teams to the dance every year.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210420591
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »

Ha! Texas was one of the conference favorites! They moderately underachieved last season, and they are a laughingstock this year.

I have already said many times that I wish things had worked out for Shaka to be at Marquette. But folks who think it would have been some kind of guarantee that he would quickly bring us back from the disaster Buzz left ... please.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2017, 10:45:24 PM »
It's surprising Shaka hasn't made waves at Texas.  Texas should be one of the best spots to recruit for basketball. Shaka is venturing down the path of Tom Crean......where he had it better at the smaller, less prominent school.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2017, 10:50:21 PM »
It's surprising Shaka hasn't made waves at Texas.  Texas should be one of the best spots to recruit for basketball. Shaka is venturing down the path of Tom Crean......where he had it better at the smaller, less prominent school.

So far, anyway.

Texas blew a lead and fell tonight to a bad Oklahoma team that just lost its best player to injury and entered the game on a 7-game losing streak. Shaka's lads are now 10-16.

Speaking of Oklahoma ... there's a coach who wins everywhere he goes: Lon Kruger. And he'll go anywhere and everywhere, especially to a school that shows him the money! Just don't expect him to stick around for more than 11 minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2017, 06:16:14 AM »
A thread on the scout board......  The BOT is satisfied with Wojo.    They were put off by the off court attention that occurred under Buzz.    They are pleased that Wojo is bringing in players who, so far, are of high character and are willing to give him several more years to build the program.    So, rant, rave, curse, scheme, whatever.     The powers-that-be wanted the anti-Buzz, believe they have him, and are not in a hurry.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2017, 07:25:49 AM »
A thread on the scout board......  The BOT is satisfied with Wojo.    They were put off by the off court attention that occurred under Buzz.    They are pleased that Wojo is bringing in players who, so far, are of high character and are willing to give him several more years to build the program.    So, rant, rave, curse, scheme, whatever.     The powers-that-be wanted the anti-Buzz, believe they have him, and are not in a hurry.
#fakenews lies from failing scout board
Goal is National Championship

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »
#fakenews lies from failing scout board

So does this mean I have to buy one of Dodds' premium memberships like I just did the New York Times?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2017, 07:48:04 AM »

So does this mean I have to buy one of Dodds' premium memberships like I just did the New York Times?
subscription from failing NYT what a loser

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
Now that is a good question..pretty sure it was before, but still may be the case..MU has plenty of wealthy donors...the question is, how do they perceive the program and it's trajectory right now?? I'd love to hear that answer.

This is on track.  The selection by the BOT was based on image, style and P.R..  Winning and cost were not high on the selection criteria.   More consideration was given to being representative than a win at all or nearly all cost.

I  understand that thinking that a decision can be based on anything besides money and trophies is a serious paradyme shift. 

What we were is not what we are, change is difficult.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2017, 08:13:28 AM »
This is on track.  The selection by the BOT was based on image, style and P.R..  Winning and cost were not high on the selection criteria.   More consideration was given to being representative than a win at all or nearly all cost.

I  understand that thinking that a decision can be based on anything besides money and trophies is a serious paradyme shift. 

What we were is not what we are, change is difficult.
Yeah because Doc Rivers has no clue about coaching.