[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Dark One Returneth: Wojo Report Card - A Failure  (Read 48157 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: The Dark One Returneth: Wojo Report Card - A Failure
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
I grade Wojo a "B" for recruiting and a "C-" for coaching.  Sadly, there is no noticeable improvement in his coaching in three years.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »
Wojo needs 1-2 more years before I pass final judgement on him.  My reason???  If MU starts turning over coaches every 3 years, it'll be viewed as a "problem" destination and good up and coming coaches won't be interested.  We'll get a couple of turds like Dukiet and Deane before we get a KO who starts to turn the program around again. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
I have bitched a ton about toughness, since that loss in Providence I think MU has consistently gotten tougher/better. I wish this team was more consistent but they aren't. I think Wojo will work out Scoopers just need to be patient. Comparisons to Buzz are useles in fact most comparisons to other coaches are useless, we got who we got. Next year MU had better be a more consistent and generally better team. I want to see MU being #3 or #4 in the BEast next year. If this isn't the case the size of the Hissy Fit this board will throw will be epic. I think MU squeaks into the tournament this year and Scooper are pleasantly surprised next year.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
I actually love it when posters point to Collins as a comparative.  Collins, like Wojo - a Coach K/Duke disciple - is in year four of his tenure (Wojo is in year three).  In each of the four years at Northwestern, Collins has improved the team both in terms of skill and talent, but also wins.  14, 15, 20 and now 19 (with surely more to come).  They are a tournament team in year four.  Wojo, like Collins, has improved the team in terms of overall skill and talent and improved the wins from year one to year two.  While we only have 15 wins right now, and looking like we may not reach 20 overall wins, next year will be the true indictment as Wojo as a head coach and program leader. 

I'm not sure the Collins compare will end up being favorable for Wojo.

If Collins can deliver a tournament appearance at NU in 4 years, Wojo sure as hell better do so at MU. MU is what, at least 10 times the program NU is. Even throwing out the history and tradition, MU's fan support, facilities and resources blow Northwestern Basketball's out of the water. It would be quite damning for Wojo not to accomplish what Collins has in the same time period.

Also, it wasn't like Collins inherited a good team at NU. The team was bad and filled with guys cut out to play Camody's Princeton offense and 1-3-1 zone defense. Other than Sanjay Lumpkin, he has had to completely rebuild it with his own guys, playing his system. No different than Wojo.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:50:59 AM by RJax55 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »
RJax55

I agree that it is not time to compare Collins vs. Wojo if you want a happy discussion. Your comments on NU vs. MU are correct and Wojo losses this battle big time, currently.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »
The last time I was on this board, the Warriors were #DoneDeal with Shaka Smart.  To the detriment of many, that was a borderline hoax.  Different names of coaches entered our lexicon.  Finally, there was one........  Wojo.  Excitement spurred through the MU masses due to Wojo's close kinship with Mike K and success.  Wojo had 15 yrs of experience and had recruited some top talent including Milwaukee Bucks own Jabari Parker.  A glimmer of hope shone upon Warrior Nation as Wojo would be the coach to lead us back to the NCAA tournament.  Those hopes were increased as Wojo landed what most other coaches here couldn't:  A blue chip prospect by the name of Henry Ellenson.  The future looked bright, in fact, it looked damn good.

Fast Forward 3 years later and Wojo hasn't delivered.  You could go as far as saying that he's been a huge disappointment.  No post season appearances for MU during Wojo's tenure and this season looks to be in the drain after an embarrassing loss to Georgetown.  By drain, I mean no NCAA tournament appearances.  NIT doesn't cut it for MU, especially for an NCAA program that is top 5 in spending on its basketball team.  Take a further gander south east to our old "friend" Buzz Williams at Virginia Tech.  Buzz has taken a historically bad program, that puts next to zero into its basketball program and is now competitive - much more so than Marquette.

So, what's the issue with Wojo?  Surprisingly, it's simple yet quite dumbfounding.  As a player, Wojo was very defensive minded and a lot to handle on the perimeter when he was at Duke.  This hasn't translated onto any of his teams here at MU.  None have played defense, in fact, they're downright terrible on that side of the ball. Players lose their man, giving up uncontested jumpers and lay ins.  You can find much better defensive teams at the mid major level.  Wojo's teams are a far cry from Buzz's elite defensive, junkyard dog units who would stifle opponents. #Deflections  Wojo is darn right horrendous.  In 3 years at MU he's failed to install a defensive system.  This is unacceptable and will be his undoing at MU.  It's amazing how poorly coached they are on defense.

MU Defensive Rankings vs NCAA Divsion I
Offensive Rebounding- 211th
Defensive Rebounding-218th
Avg Score against - 189th

These stats are abysmal and are those that mediocre mid major teams have.

I understand Wojo was dealt a bad hand here.  MU was in shambles when he arrived.  He's recruited 4 stars, but none to this point have shown much sans Markus Howard.  Heldt is terrible and wouldn't start on many mid major rosters, while Cheatam is solid.  Other than that, Wojo has recruited guards who can shoot, but are undersized.  Secondly, where are all the bigs when it comes to recruiting?  A bunch of undersized 4 star guards won't take you far in a season.  When you look at MU's starting 5 - you see Duke's bench......the ones still in warmups from a physical standpoint.  Yes, he snagged Ellenson which netted Wojo a contract extension but what did that really accomplish?  Short term it was great, but Wojo failed to parlay that move into what matters most - Wins = media hype = recruiting power.   Furthermore, there are other coaches who have done much better who have been dealt similar hands.  Archie Miller from Dayton took a team of basically 6 players to the tourney a few years ago.  Buzz rebuilding Va Tech in the toughest conference, the ACC, and  are jobs well done and signatures of great coaching.

Wojo doesn't have the signature of a great coach.  Often times it seems as if he's barely treading water.  Defense matters most when making an NCAA run, and Wojo hasn't been able to solve that issue in 3 years - posting defensive numbers you find at the mid major level.

Next Coach Up.......

.....The Search Continues.......

GREAT post. SPOT ON. you sheep fans that continue to defend wojo have absolutely nothing to back him up... the FACTS are that Wojo has NOT delivered and has been A HUGE disappointment. Time to cut our losses and go back to the drawing board.....

fire wojo.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »
Mr. Al Davis it's nice to meet you.  I'm Deane - slaughterer of sheep.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 11:56:30 AM »

Nice to meet you, Deane. I have a landfill you could use to dispose of the blind, freshly slaughtered sheep...

Make Marquette great again!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »

The herd here has thinned considerably. The lack of enthusiasm is palpable.

Thought "leadership" is driven by a few who demand adherence to the party line.

When culling the flock pay particular attention to the dogmatic drones!

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »
Keefe

Lack of enthusiasm is real. Since Buzz's last year it has grown IMO. The excitement of getting HE was lost on many (not me) because of unrealistic expectations that he was staying around more than a year. The 'Nova win excitement died awfully quickly. Simply amazing the difference in attitude in less than three weeks.

I have not given up the fight, but definitely a great deal less interested than anytime in my life. Hope the program gets to a high level but as Golden Avalanche has pointed out several times to me that maybe time for a new hobby.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2017, 12:25:32 PM »
The herd here has thinned considerably. The lack of enthusiasm is palpable.

Thought "leadership" is driven by a few who demand adherence to the party line.

When culling the flock pay particular attention to the dogmatic drones!

It's nice to be back with you comrade.  Together we shall forge a new empire!
What happened to that hack who posted all the time?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »
I live in the Milwaukee area and have seen exactly one MU game in three years.  Before, I would take in 3-4 a year.  I still watch on TV enough to know that MU is not a good team.

It is just not good basketball to watch.  You know that every time when the opponent needs a basket they are going to get one.  Launching threes is only fun basketball when they make them.

Ready for forthcoming replies on how I am a bad and disloyal fan for not accepting the status quo.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »
Badgerhater

I am one step further removed than that. Several of the recent games I changed the channel to watch rerun Shark Tank on CNBC. I have been to four games this year and 100% enjoyed the social experience of halftime and pre/post game fun. The games were fine and glad I went and trying HARD to convince myself to enjoy all the festivities this weekend. For the record, I am still at the convincing stage for the weekend.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »
I live in the Milwaukee area and have seen exactly one MU game in three years.  Before, I would take in 3-4 a year.  I still watch on TV enough to know that MU is not a good team.

It is just not good basketball to watch.  You know that every time when the opponent needs a basket they are going to get one.  Launching threes is only fun basketball when they make them.

Ready for forthcoming replies on how I am a bad and disloyal fan for not accepting the status quo.

Golden State without the accuracy and defense - MU FoolsGold

That Villanova win sucked in a lot of people and made them believers.  What was even worse was that some of the players looked like they were about to cry after that victory.  Quite sad and not the hallmark of an up and coming program.  More or less they acted like someone with a credit rating of 550, living paycheck to paycheck, winning the lottery.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »
Deanno

You might not be for everyone one here, but I get a kick out of you. Welcome back.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »
In a few short minutes Va Tech will be 16-8 (5-7) having lost 3 straight. Best win at home over Duke without Allen. Next best win is Michigan. God awful non con schedule.  Next two games on the road at Pitt and Louisville - could legitimately see them lose 5 straight. Buzz's bunch isn't in much better shape than MU this season.

They'll lose.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
That UVA game was really good..except for VT winning

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »
I appreciate it Goose.  My personality by default, weeds out the weakminded so there are benefits to "not appeasing" the masses.  People are afraid of change and being taken out of their comfort zone.  That's what I do.  I embrace the life.  It's who I am.  I am that GE commercial where the New Idea walks in and everyone treats it like trash until the smart person at the end.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
Deanno

Keep up the battle, it is a good cause. I have ruffled enough feathers over the years and tired of the fight. Good luck, Deanno!!!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »
I just find it funny because a few breaks the other way this season, and all these naysayers are firmly on the bandwagon.  Just as they'll be IF MU finds a way into the tournament. 

I get that not everyone likes the current product on the court.  These last five games have been brutal.  I certainly hope we continue to improve both this season, and into the future.  But if you don't spend the time to watch the game on TV, or if you live nearby and have no interest in attending MU games, why spend the time to come on a message board and bad mouth the program?  Don't you have other things to do? 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2017, 01:38:08 PM »
I just find it funny because a few breaks the other way this season, and all these naysayers are firmly on the bandwagon.  Just as they'll be IF MU finds a way into the tournament. 

I get that not everyone likes the current product on the court.  These last five games have been brutal.  I certainly hope we continue to improve both this season, and into the future.  But if you don't spend the time to watch the game on TV, or if you live nearby and have no interest in attending MU games, why spend the time to come on a message board and bad mouth the program?  Don't you have other things to do?

A few breaks?  We lost to a crappy Georgetown team by 12.  We got slammed by St. Johns.  No way in hell do I get on the Wojo bandwagon after those inexcusable debacles.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
We lost to a crappy Georgetown team by 12.

Your maths are bad.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »
Your maths are bad.

My bad..... 

They were down 12 after I injected myself with rohypnol to alleviate the mental anguish.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Next MU Coach: Jay Wright. Time is right in spring of 2017 as Villanova coffers are empty and anonymous MUScoopers pony up 4million for the back2back national champ coach.

Quoting an ESPN540 source inside the scoop community "...We think we got year 1 covered. Year 2 will take some work but with crowd sourcing and every scooper committing now to going down to the plasma center every two weeks, we'll just about cover it"

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
Next MU Coach: Jay Wright. Time is right in spring of 2017 as Villanova coffers are empty and anonymous MUScoopers pony up 4million for the back2back national champ coach.

Quoting an ESPN540 source inside the scoop community "...We think we got year 1 covered. Year 2 will take some work but with crowd sourcing and every scooper committing now to going down to the plasma center every two weeks, we'll just about cover it"

The coach at Western Kentucky would be a great hire.

feedback