[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: IU Question - Was Crean More Successful at MU or IU?  (Read 11784 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
IU Question - Was Crean More Successful at MU or IU?
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:09:46 PM »
Out of this post came a very interesting question, was Crean more successful in his 9 years at MU or in his (currently) 9 years at IU?
Discussion starts on post 25

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=53482.msg897908#msg897908

----------------------------

Week three IU was ranked #3.  Then they lost to Fort Wayne (!)

Currently they are 15-10 (5-7).  Tonight lost at home to Purdue.  Unless they start winning, they are out of the Tourney.  Problem is they have 6 regular-season games left -- 4 on the road.

If we were ranked #3 in December and were not dancing in March, I could only imagine the meltdown this board would be having and calls for the coach's head would be a full-throat scream. 

Does Crean survive?  Should he survive?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:42:06 AM by Yukon Cornelius »

dgies9156

• All American
Re: IU Question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
fire Crean -- no really!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:13:16 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
Lots of injuries,  inability to have a replacement in place for Yogi Ferrell.  Seat warming.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:50:44 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
Has a team that was ranked that high at the beginning of the season not made the tourney before?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:19 PM »
Has a team that was ranked that high at the beginning of the season not made the tourney before?

Kentucky in 2012/2013.  Also was as high as #3 (after winning the NC the year before).  They went to the NIT and lost to Robert Morris in the first round.

Kentucky suffered devastating injuries (Nerlens Noel was the big one)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »
Kentucky in 2012/2013.  Also was as high as #3 (after winning the NC the year before).  They went to the NIT and lost to Robert Morris in the first round.

Didn't even think of that one, i remember that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 10:23:29 PM »

It is a similar situation ... except Crean hasn't even come close to sniffing the national title. His one FF team lost by 827 points to Kansas. His best Indiana team lost to Syracuse in the Sweet 16, which is too bad because we woulda smoked the Hoosiers and gotten to the FF!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »
I like to see all of our former coaches, players, recruits etc do well. I  think it ultimately reflects well on MU. So I hope Indiana rallies, makes the tournament and keeps his job.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 10:58:27 PM »
Superbar.

I like to see all of our former coaches, players, recruits etc do well. I  think it ultimately reflects well on MU. So I hope Indiana rallies, makes the tournament and keeps his job.

I don't think it reflects on Marquette in any way.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 10:59:19 PM »

how? I don't actively root against our former coaches or recruits but them doing well in no way reflects on MU. Lets say a player leaves and does great, it would actually be a negative reflection on our staff that we couldn't recognize it or utilize that player's strengths.

Now if you're talking about players that graduated or left early (vander) then absolutely it's a great reflection upon the university.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 11:12:41 PM »

how? I don't actively root against our former coaches or recruits but them doing well in no way reflects on MU. Lets say a player leaves and does great, it would actually be a negative reflection on our staff that we couldn't recognize it or utilize that player's strengths.

Now if you're talking about players that graduated or left early (vander) then absolutely it's a great reflection upon the university.
An Example, whenever Crean is doing well and a feature story or tv spot is done on him, it generally refers to his success at MU. In general ,always good to have MU and Success in the same story.

In the old days, Miami of Ohio used to get a lot of mileage out of being the cradle of football coaches.

I want Brian Wardle to do well at Bradley .

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »
An Example, whenever Crean is doing well and a feature story or tv spot is done on him, it generally refers to his success at MU. In general ,always good to have MU and Success in the same story.

In the old days, Miami of Ohio used to get a lot of mileage out of being the cradle of football coaches.

Crean has success at MU but fails at Indiana = MU > IU

Zero sum game my man. Thanks for what you did at MU, but if you're not here I want you to fail. Makes MU as a program look better.

This applies to former head coaches only. Ex players & assistants I want to succeed to the Wade/Butler/Crowder/Matthews level. Best of the best.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 11:22:43 PM »
Wardle has never crapped on MU. The other guy did.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 11:39:20 PM »
I never, ever think about what Roy Williams did at Kansas (other than beating Tommy by 50 in the FF) or what Bill Self did at Illinois or even what Cal did at Memphis or UMass.  I couldn't care less.  I can't imagine too many casual college basketball fans, or even IU or rival of IU fans, are watching IU games and thinking, "Ahh, I miss those Crean coached MU teams with Wade, Diener, Novak, Robert Jackson, etc.!"
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 05:16:40 AM »
It's unbelievable the hatred people still have for TC. No one thinks about the fact that if TC were never at MU, there wouldn't be a BE for MU, there wouldn't be an Al center, there wouldn't have been a Dwade, or a Jerel, or Wesley, or DJ. Or a FF in 2003. Did I like the way he left?? no, but I also realize he left for a program that any coach would have left for. I am also very grateful to him for putting MU BB back on the map. I shutter to think about where MU may be now if not for TC, and the fact he did great things for the program.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 05:40:41 AM »
It's unbelievable the hatred people still have for TC. No one thinks about the fact that if TC were never at MU, there wouldn't be a BE for MU, there wouldn't be an Al center, there wouldn't have been a Dwade, or a Jerel, or Wesley, or DJ. Or a FF in 2003. Did I like the way he left?? no, but I also realize he left for a program that any coach would have left for. I am also very grateful to him for putting MU BB back on the map. I shutter to think about where MU may be now if not for TC, and the fact he did great things for the program.

+1

Crean did many great things for the program. He was a salesman when we needed one. After Deane, the wrong hire could've sent us back to the Dukiet days. Crean was the right guy at the right time and gave us almost a decade of service.

No one likes the breakup, but marriages rarely last forever these days anyway. Better to remember the good times than belabor the bad.

EDIT: To answer the OP, I think he needs to go 4-2. Best news is the two toughest games are at home (other than Purdue, but I don't see that as winnable). If he makes the tournament, I think he gets another year. If not, probably gone in this "what have you done for me lately" era.

I think his greatest strength is building a program up. He can recruit, gameplan, and motivate the team and fans, but doesn't quite have that "next level". I think he'll eventually be out there, but would do great long term at a program that didn't have titles and Final Fours in their history.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:50:04 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »

How do you know none of those things happen? Does the program just cease to exist if we don't hire Crean? Or do we hire a different guy who has a chance to coach at Marquette?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
+1

Crean did many great things for the program. He was a salesman when we needed one. After Deane, the wrong hire could've sent us back to the Dukiet days. Crean was the right guy at the right time and gave us almost a decade of service.

No one likes the breakup, but marriages rarely last forever these days anyway. Better to remember the good times than belabor the bad.

EDIT: To answer the OP, I think he needs to go 4-2. Best news is the two toughest games are at home (other than Purdue, but I don't see that as winnable). If he makes the tournament, I think he gets another year. If not, probably gone in this "what have you done for me lately" era.

I think his greatest strength is building a program up. He can recruit, gameplan, and motivate the team and fans, but doesn't quite have that "next level". I think he'll eventually be out there, but would do great long term at a program that didn't have titles and Final Fours in their history.

Used to have this conversation with chicos.  People are well aware of what TC did at MU.  Amazing that he could do it here and struggle so much at IU.  All that said...when you act the way he did, and you leave the way he did, you're nothing short of a prick.  Not many people argue that...MU's FF was amazing...TC is a prick.  Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.  I'm glad we had him, and i'm even happier he is now gone.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 07:02:00 AM »
IIRC his buyout goes way down sometime this summer so from a financial perspective spring is the wrong time to fire him so he likely gets one more year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 07:19:27 AM »
Every year since he left there has been some thread about how this is the year Crean gets fired. One year, it'll be right.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 07:22:06 AM »

Oh pleez, da ahole is a pus sak on one's gurkee, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 07:22:34 AM »

I wasn't referring to coaches. Only transfer players. They leave it makes us either look like we're below another program (Iowa state) or that we cut players to make room for new ones (steve Taylor) if we had a guy graduate in 3yrs and transfer like Katin then I could see rooting for him but other than that it's not a good reflection.

Back to the OP, Crean isn't getting fired after winning the big ten last year. Sure he's still on the hot seat but if they miss then it's 4/6 years he's got NCAA appearances, 3 of those sweet 16s and two of those he won the B1G. It's not IU standards but not bad enough to get fired either.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 07:25:06 AM »
The chatter I've been hearing over the past week makes me believe the seat is truly warm (nh)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »

Are you really saying that it would be a good thing for MU basketball to be to college basketball what Miami of Ohio football is to college football?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.