[Today at 03:10:06 AM]

south jordan best online hookup site by MarquetteVol
[April 19, 2024, 11:53:22 PM]

santa rosa flirt adult by JakeBarnes
[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pat on the back  (Read 7334 times)

MU82

• All American
Pat on the back
« on: January 30, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
Just coached my girls basketball team to a second straight conference title. I'm so proud of these great, hard-working kids who outhustle opponents and are very coachable. Lots of fun, too.

In 2015, we had made the first trip to the championship game - girls or boys - in school history but lost. So that's three straight title games, winning the last two.

OK ... I'd better stop now before I hurt my arm.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SoCalEagle

• All American
Re: Pat on the back
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:02:37 PM »
Great work, MU82. These kids will remember winning a conference title for a long time. Some may go on to bigger and better things on the hardwood, while for others this is the peak of their basketball playing career. However, they will all look back and remember that their hard work paid off. Congrats to you and your squad.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 11:09:21 PM »
Any tripping techniques being taught?  Heard it is pretty standard in NC.

In all seriousness, there is no greater reward than seeing a kid have fun accomplishing big things.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 11:53:21 PM »
Just coached my girls basketball team to a second straight conference title. I'm so proud of these great, hard-working kids who outhustle opponents and are very coachable. Lots of fun, too.

In 2015, we had made the first trip to the championship game - girls or boys - in school history but lost. So that's three straight title games, winning the last two.

Pretty clear the kids banded together to win in spite of their megalomaniacal coach. Congrats to them! 

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 06:44:26 AM »
Congrats....that's awesome!  Good luck on a three-peat next year.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:01:10 AM »

Congrats!

As a very close and very personal friend let me tell you how proud I am of you and the girls on your team.

I always knew this would be the outcome, no doubt.

Smuggles

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:02 AM »
MU82 - congrats, but more importantly thanks for volunteering your time. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 07:49:19 AM »
I hear UConn is scouting you for when Geno eventually retires.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 08:06:10 AM »
What's your go to mind game?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »
Now give them their warm-ups back, they earned them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:54:59 AM »
MU82, nice work.  Nothing like watching a team that you have put so much time, effort, and sweat into come together and achieve.   My favorite part of coaching is watching the light come on for kids, and when it comes on for the entire team..... man.    So much fun. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 09:10:07 AM »
They let you run the 4-corners down in NC? 

A 2-0 win is still a win. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »
You should play like my sister's team did @ Pius XI back in the mid-90's.  They would score 12-15 points early...then hold the ball, pass, and dribble, for minutes on end, sometimes for an entire quarter.  They used to win games like 12-4, 15-2...

High comedy to watch

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
So what was the Vegas over/under?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 01:22:15 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the many nice words. It's been a crazy day, dealing with all the follow-up from the parents, planning our season-ending party (by which time I need to have evaluations/improvement plans done for each player), etc. The boys' basketball coach at the school, who had never before coached any sport and came to me regularly for advice (mostly on just dealing with off-the-court stuff), just sent me an e-Gift certificate for the Marquette store as a token of appreciation - very kind of him.

As for some of your comments ...

Great work, MU82. These kids will remember winning a conference title for a long time. Some may go on to bigger and better things on the hardwood, while for others this is the peak of their basketball playing career. However, they will all look back and remember that their hard work paid off. Congrats to you and your squad.

I'm sure this is true. My kids still fondly recall their middle-school basketball exploits. One girl this season made a half-court shot - she'll be telling her grandkids about that. Another went from averaging 2 ppg in the first half of the season to averaging 10 in the second half after one of last year's players told her to start asserting herself; she ended up leading us in scoring in the championship game - I doubt she'll forget that. And so on.

Any tripping techniques being taught?  Heard it is pretty standard in NC.

No, but one of my players last season was a black belt in tae kwon do (her dad was an instructor) and she didn't take crap from anybody!

Pretty clear the kids banded together to win in spite of their megalomaniacal coach. Congrats to them! 

Hey, if you want to overcome pure evil, you have to band together!

Congrats!

As a very close and very personal friend let me tell you how proud I am of you and the girls on your team.

I always knew this would be the outcome, no doubt.

Smuggles

Aww, that's so sweet, Smuggles. I hope you bet a few thou on us!

I hear UConn is scouting you for when Geno eventually retires.

If I coached UConn, there'd be even more winning. They'd win so much, they'd get sick of all the winning. Plus, they'd have an open-locker-room policy (for me only). Geno ... so overrated. Sad.

What's your go to mind game?

Well, there was the time I called time-out and promptly forgot the play I was going to have them run. I don't know if that qualifies as a "mind game," but it was good comic relief.

MU82, nice work.  Nothing like watching a team that you have put so much time, effort, and sweat into come together and achieve.   My favorite part of coaching is watching the light come on for kids, and when it comes on for the entire team..... man.    So much fun. 

I agree with this 100%. I mentioned the girl who didn't realize how good she was until a peer she respected told her so - to then watch her play like she did ... amazing. I've been at this school 4 years and have several "light bulb" stories. It's cool (and rewarding) every single time.

They let you run the 4-corners down in NC? 

A 2-0 win is still a win. 

You should play like my sister's team did @ Pius XI back in the mid-90's.  They would score 12-15 points early...then hold the ball, pass, and dribble, for minutes on end, sometimes for an entire quarter.  They used to win games like 12-4, 15-2...

High comedy to watch

I am not brave enough to trust a bunch of 12- and 13-year-old girls to work the clock like that. My philosophy is: "Just about any shot is better than a turnover!"

brandx

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the many nice words. It's been a crazy day, dealing with all the follow-up from the parents, planning our season-ending party (by which time I need to have evaluations/improvement plans done for each player), etc. The boys' basketball coach at the school, who had never before coached any sport and came to me regularly for advice (mostly on just dealing with off-the-court stuff), just sent me an e-Gift certificate for the Marquette store as a token of appreciation - very kind of him.

Now come the expectations, Mike.

Were you just Phil Jackson coaching MJ, Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq? Or were you Bo Ryan molding every player into the system making the whole better than the sum of its parts?

Next year is the big test. All eyes here will be on you next year. And in the finest Scoop tradition, some will be calling for your head.

Seriously, great job buddy. I sure the girls love playin' for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 03:13:51 PM »
Now come the expectations, Mike.

Were you just Phil Jackson coaching MJ, Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq? Or were you Bo Ryan molding every player into the system making the whole better than the sum of its parts?

Next year is the big test. All eyes here will be on you next year. And in the finest Scoop tradition, some will be calling for your head.

Seriously, great job buddy. I sure the girls love playin' for you.

Thanks, brand. I appreciate it.

I know you were just kidding about the first thing you said, but one of my biggest motivators to stay here is that there is no pressure at all except the pressure I put on myself (which is a lot). By now, it is my little fiefdom. Nobody questions me, even about playing time.

I had an offer to coach the JV team at a very good high school two years ago but 1, I didn't feel I was quite ready after only two years at the MS level; and 2, I felt I had unfinished business at my current school. It would be hard for me to argue that the business is still unfinished, so I have a big decision ahead of me this offseason. I'm pretty sure I could move up to a more prestigious MS job, or a JV head coach or a HS assistant, but I have to decide if I want the pressure that would go with any of those. I'm 56, so the clock is ticking, and after 2 straight titles I'll never be more "marketable."

I was recruited to coach an AAU team for the first time this spring, so that will be interesting. Whether it is a positive or negative experience could help shape my decision.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »
Will you send Wojo videos of your huddles?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »
Thanks, brand. I appreciate it.

I know you were just kidding about the first thing you said, but one of my biggest motivators to stay here is that there is no pressure at all except the pressure I put on myself (which is a lot). By now, it is my little fiefdom. Nobody questions me, even about playing time.

I had an offer to coach the JV team at a very good high school two years ago but 1, I didn't feel I was quite ready after only two years at the MS level; and 2, I felt I had unfinished business at my current school. It would be hard for me to argue that the business is still unfinished, so I have a big decision ahead of me this offseason. I'm pretty sure I could move up to a more prestigious MS job, or a JV head coach or a HS assistant, but I have to decide if I want the pressure that would go with any of those. I'm 56, so the clock is ticking, and after 2 straight titles I'll never be more "marketable."

I was recruited to coach an AAU team for the first time this spring, so that will be interesting. Whether it is a positive or negative experience could help shape my decision.

A little advice: Nothing could be more difficult than coaching Tween girls.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 09:38:54 PM »
A little advice: Nothing could be more difficult than coaching Tween girls.

Disagree.

Tween girls don't already think they know everything there is to know about basketball because they learned everything they need while playing video games. They are willing to be coached. They don't all have ADHD. They don't try behind-the-back dribbles in traffic. They don't take 3-pointers they can't hit because that's what Steph does. They care about the team and their teammates first.

I have coached boys and girls in this age group and, in general, prefer coaching girls.

Please no dopey sexual references, thank you. Be adults.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
Disagree.

Tween girls don't already think they know everything there is to know about basketball because they learned everything they need while playing video games. They are willing to be coached. They don't all have ADHD. They don't try behind-the-back dribbles in traffic. They don't take 3-pointers they can't hit because that's what Steph does. They care about the team and their teammates first.

I have coached boys and girls in this age group and, in general, prefer coaching girls.

Wasn't making any references.  That is a tough age in girls.  Your patience should be rewarded.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 10:15:41 PM »
Wasn't making any references.  That is a tough age in girls.  Your patience should be rewarded.

I knew you weren't making any references, Doc. I meant others down the line.

My patience has been rewarded. These are great kids and I have enjoyed the challenge of teaching them. It truly is a two-way street!

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 10:28:42 PM »
MU -- give this guy a look

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »
Disagree.

Tween girls don't already think they know everything there is to know about basketball because they learned everything they need while playing video games. They are willing to be coached. They don't all have ADHD. They don't try behind-the-back dribbles in traffic. They don't take 3-pointers they can't hit because that's what Steph Markus does. They care about the team and their teammates first.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 07:16:23 AM »
Disagree.

Does Steph have her college visits lined up yet? The Lady Eagles can always use more shooters.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 07:32:43 AM »
Like anything else, coaching middle school girls is a mixed blessing.  I helped coach my daughter's team from 5-8th grade.  I watched them go from adorable to (some of them) annoying as hell.  But they did listen better than their male classmates, whom I also helped coach.  The two teams scrimmaged after their 6 th grade season and the girls dominated, because they ran their sets, helped on defense, and rebounded.
   Yes, a couple of times I got the "I'm not going to pass it to Susie because I like joey, but he likes Susie" crap.  30 seconds of yelling and making them run suicides fixed it.
It has been my experience that the parents really dictate how enjoyable coaching is.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 07:52:46 AM »
Like anything else, coaching middle school girls is a mixed blessing.  I helped coach my daughter's team from 5-8th grade.  I watched them go from adorable to (some of them) annoying as hell.  But they did listen better than their male classmates, whom I also helped coach.  The two teams scrimmaged after their 6 th grade season and the girls dominated, because they ran their sets, helped on defense, and rebounded.
   Yes, a couple of times I got the "I'm not going to pass it to Susie because I like joey, but he likes Susie" crap.  30 seconds of yelling and making them run suicides fixed it.
It has been my experience that the parents really dictate how enjoyable coaching is.

In six years of coaching this age group, 2 as an assistant and now 4 as head coach at my current stop, I have not found this kind of thing to be an issue at all. Nor did it seem to be an issue when I was helping with my daughter's teams back in the late-'90s.

Now, maybe I've just been fortunate. My current school is a charter school for highly gifted students. These kids are extremely driven, very intelligent and a little nerdy. There have been some minor issues because kids are kids are kids, but nothing like you described.

I do agree that the parents dictate a lot. But again, I guess I've been fortunate - I have really liked the vast majority of parents, and they have been incredibly supportive of and grateful for me. In 4 years, I have had exactly 2 complaints about playing time. One came two games into my first season, the other a few games into this season. Both backed off when I calmly explained my philosophy and actually thanked me for doing so.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 08:02:32 AM »
MU82, I guess I must have presented it wrong.   The kids worked hard.   The issues we had were minor and easily fixed.  I view the hormonal stuff as normal.   There were times that I flashed back to being a middle school boy and being completely unable to fathom girls, but now, as an adult, viewing the same stuff and thinking "Ohhhh.   Now I get it."   On a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.   My experience roughly parallels your own.    I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »
MU82, I guess I must have presented it wrong.   The kids worked hard.   The issues we had were minor and easily fixed.  I view the hormonal stuff as normal.   There were times that I flashed back to being a middle school boy and being completely unable to fathom girls, but now, as an adult, viewing the same stuff and thinking "Ohhhh.   Now I get it."   On a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.   My experience roughly parallels your own.    I wouldn't trade it for anything.

As is often the case, tower, you and I are on the same page.

These kids are fun and goofy and smart and spirited. They keep me on my toes!

You'll probably appreciate this story ...

One of my best players, a 6th-grader who also is my youngest player, suffered a bit of an emotional meltdown in a game. She was in foul trouble all game (a rarity - she has never fouled out in 2 seasons) and didn't play much the first 3Q. I put her at PG (not her primary position but one she plays quite often) to start the 4Q so our excellent PG could get a couple minutes rest before the stretch run. We had a 1-point lead. The kid promptly throws a pass that gets intercepted for a layup. Next time down ... same damn thing. Three possessions later ... another bad pass ... but this time, she challenges the shooter and picks up foul No. 4. As they line up for FTs, one of my bench players says, "You'd better check on X - I think she's hurt." Sure enough, X was crying hysterically. But she wasn't hurt, just embarrassed.

I had to take her out of the game. I quickly told her that all she did was make a few mistakes, like every basketball player ever has done, and that I would put her back in the game as soon as she tells me she's ready because I still believe in her. But when I looked down the bench about 2 minutes later, she was still sobbing uncontrollably; and now two of her teammates were hugging and trying to comfort her, meaning I had 3 players I couldn't use. We ended up losing by 4 points - our first loss after an 8-0 start.

Afterward, the girl was still crying. "I cost us the game! It's my fault we lost!" Even though it probably WAS her fault we lost I obviously told her the opposite. And I reminded her about all the games she helped us win. I told her that although she over-reacted, I appreciated that she cared so deeply and was willing to take responsibility. And I told her about a player two years earlier who had a similar situation but bounced back strongly. Blah blah blah ... I tried every coaching angle I could think of. Finally, after about 5 minutes, I walked her over to her mommy.

The next day at practice, she was fine, and she went on to be our leading scorer for the season. Played absolutely great in the championship game. The meltdown was never mentioned again.

So yeah, every once in awhile there definitely is drama with this age group. Then again, there's drama with NBA players pretty much every day, and most of them aren't 12-year-old girls.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »
In 6th grade, one of my players was ridiculously aggressive and prone to fouling.   Actually, she was like that all 4 years.    Anyway, we are leading in the 4th quarter and R commits her 4th foul.   One of her teammates comes over to me and says that she is rested and ready to go in for R.   I tell her to sit down and relax, that R is going to commit her 5th foul on the next possession and that she can go in then.   She gives me a weird look and sits down. 
    Next trip down the floor, R commits her 5th foul.    I tell T to go in for her, and she walks to the scorer's table staring at me with the most awestruck look on her face.    The other two coaches are trying not to fall off their chairs from laughing so hard.   All of the moms after the game wanted to know what was so funny that the three of us couldn't stop laughing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:18:59 AM by tower912 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »
In 6th grade, one of my players was ridiculously aggressive and prone to fouling.   Actually, she was like that all 4 years.    Anyway, we are leading in the 4th quarter and R commits her 4th foul.   One of her teammates comes over to me and says that she is rested and ready to go in for R.   I tell her to sit down and relax, that R is going to commit her 5th foul on the next possession and that she can go in then.   She gives me a weird look and sits down. 
    Next trip down the floor, R commits her 5th foul.    I tell T to go in for her, and she walks to the scorer's table staring at me with the most awestruck look on her face.    The other two coaches are trying not to fall of their chairs from laughing so hard.   All of the moms after the game wanted to know what was so funny that the three of us couldn't stop laughing.

That's great stuff, tower. Who knew you had such amazing predictive powers?!?!?! Kids are so goofy.

Championship game on Monday. My PG played the entire 3Q but I had to get her out for 2 minutes. So I sit her to start the 4th and put in one of my lesser-used players. As we talk before going out for the 4th, she says, "I'm just gonna play one minute and then you're gonna put X back in, right?" And I look her in the eyes and say, "Yep, that sounds about right. So give me the best minute you possibly can. Give us a jolt of energy."

And she did.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »

I do agree that the parents dictate a lot.

My 'favorite' parent moment is the night while coaching 8th grade girls that I got a call from one parent telling me I was being too rough on the girls, followed by a call an hour later from another parent that I wasn't being tough enough.    I thanked them both.   

There is always going to be moments with parents, but I have found that proactively communicating heads off a lot of problems. 

brandx

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
My 'favorite' parent moment is the night while coaching 8th grade girls that I got a call from one parent telling me I was being too rough on the girls, followed by a call an hour later from another parent that I wasn't being tough enough.    I thanked them both.   

There is always going to be moments with parents, but I have found that proactively communicating heads off a lot of problems.

Wondering if you or Mike have coached kid's football at all. I have done a little coaching of baseball, basketball and football.

I thoroughly enjoyed the baseball and basketball, but hated coaching football. The kids were actually great - they know who is better, so things usually sort out OK - but the parents (mostly dads) were unbearable to deal with. Many thought their sons were superstars, as they remembered themselves to be, and were brutal on the sidelines. While some of it was directed at us coaches, it was mainly yelling and demeaning their own kids when they didn't make a play. It only took two years for me to have my fill and quit.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
I haven't coached football.    10 basketball teams.  (boys and girls)  3 girl's softball teams.   14 little league teams.    I get pain-in-the-butt parents about every 3-4 seasons.    What is interesting to me is I, and the guys I coach with, always make it abundantly clear at the beginning that we are fallible and make mistakes.   We specifically request that if a parent has an issue with us to approach us and discuss it with us like adults.   It works 95% of the time.   Can't please everybody. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »
I've never coached football.

A little Little League baseball and one season as an assistant HS softball coach, in addition to the basketball.

We have a strict "24-hour" rule when it comes to parents discussing playing time, strategy, etc. The two parents who whined about playing time, I emailed them right back and said I was enforcing the 24-hour rule and would get back to them tomorrow. They were fine with that, and it gave all of us time to deal with it properly. I brought the AD in on it so he knew what was going on.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 09:16:10 AM »
MU82  to replace Coach K.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 10:31:35 AM »

As long as my team would get to compete against 7th-grade girls, I'd have the Blue Devils soaring again!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »

Never replace a legend. It never goes well.

MU82 to replace the guy after Coach K!
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
We had our season-ending party Saturday.

The captain of the team, assisted by her current and former teammates, made a "This Is Your Life" style video tribute for me. I choked back tears for almost the entire 8 minutes.

I'm 56 years old, and I'm pretty sure I have never had anybody do anything that nice for me or make me feel that special.

They didn't have to do that. My reward came from working with these incredible kids. But wow. Just wow.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

Congrats . The girls will have some awesome life memories from your efforts.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brandx

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
We had our season-ending party Saturday.

The captain of the team, assisted by her current and former teammates, made a "This Is Your Life" style video tribute for me. I choked back tears for almost the entire 8 minutes.

I'm 56 years old, and I'm pretty sure I have never had anybody do anything that nice for me or make me feel that special.

They didn't have to do that. My reward came from working with these incredible kids. But wow. Just wow.

I'm not surprised. I am sure it was well deserved.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2017, 07:00:12 AM »
I'm not surprised. I am sure it was well deserved.

I'm gonna be totally honest here ... aside from the likes of Mother Teresa, MLK, Gandhi, Lincoln, Mandela and a few select others, I'm not sure anybody "deserves" the tribute I got. It was that incredible!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »
There's nothing wrong with congratulating yourself for a job well done on Scoop, especially one that may have been due in some part to the advice and counsel of other Scoopers.  But we used to have a frequent Scooper whose posts near the very end fell into one of two categories: self-promotion and unsolicited injection of politics.

Please be careful not to fall into the same trap; i.e. stay on this thread's topic.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
There's nothing wrong with congratulating yourself for a job well done on Scoop, especially one that may have been due in some part to the advice and counsel of other Scoopers.  But we used to have a frequent Scooper whose posts near the very end fell into one of two categories: self-promotion and unsolicited injection of politics.

Please be careful not to fall into the same trap; i.e. stay on this thread's topic.

Will do. Now ... what would Trump do?

That's a joke, son!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
Will do. Now ... what would Trump do?

That's a joke, son!

If the Valencia-in-Chief starts Scooping, we'll talk.

And that was a really bad joke... though they say humor is one of the first things to go; or maybe it's the last.  Can't really remember much these days.  Get those kids back on your lawn.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
Back on topic ...

My best player is an 8th-grader trying to decide which HS she'll go to. She's going to be a HS player for sure, but one of her choices is the best program in the state, and she might not get to play for their varsity. (Although she is extremely athletic and coachable, so who knows?)

As good as she is, she sometimes lacks a little confidence, so I took her to a HS JV game (figuring that wherever she goes, she'll have to play JV for at least a year). It was eye-opening to her to see that she could play at that level right now. I told her she would start for either team if they gave her a uniform today ... and because I don't lie to these kids, she knew I meant it.

She's now much more psyched for HS hoops because she knows she's got enough game to play with them.

Yet another public service for today's youth by your friendly neighborhood Scooper.

brandx

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »
I would tell my grandson he was the best player on his team (a losing team), but he never believed me. Then the coach of Caron Butler's summer traveling team saw him and asked him to come play with them and all of a sudden he is full of confidence.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 09:38:22 PM »
I would tell my grandson he was the best player on his team (a losing team), but he never believed me. Then the coach of Caron Butler's summer traveling team saw him and asked him to come play with them and all of a sudden he is full of confidence.

Not surprised. Young athletes are smart and they know their parents or grandparents are biased - and they are right! If they hear it from a coach or, better yet, a peer they really respect, that's what they believe.

feedback