[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pat on the back  (Read 7339 times)

MU82

• All American
Pat on the back
« on: January 30, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
Just coached my girls basketball team to a second straight conference title. I'm so proud of these great, hard-working kids who outhustle opponents and are very coachable. Lots of fun, too.

In 2015, we had made the first trip to the championship game - girls or boys - in school history but lost. So that's three straight title games, winning the last two.

OK ... I'd better stop now before I hurt my arm.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SoCalEagle

• All American
Re: Pat on the back
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:02:37 PM »
Great work, MU82. These kids will remember winning a conference title for a long time. Some may go on to bigger and better things on the hardwood, while for others this is the peak of their basketball playing career. However, they will all look back and remember that their hard work paid off. Congrats to you and your squad.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 11:09:21 PM »
Any tripping techniques being taught?  Heard it is pretty standard in NC.

In all seriousness, there is no greater reward than seeing a kid have fun accomplishing big things.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 11:53:21 PM »
Just coached my girls basketball team to a second straight conference title. I'm so proud of these great, hard-working kids who outhustle opponents and are very coachable. Lots of fun, too.

In 2015, we had made the first trip to the championship game - girls or boys - in school history but lost. So that's three straight title games, winning the last two.

Pretty clear the kids banded together to win in spite of their megalomaniacal coach. Congrats to them! 

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 06:44:26 AM »
Congrats....that's awesome!  Good luck on a three-peat next year.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:01:10 AM »

Congrats!

As a very close and very personal friend let me tell you how proud I am of you and the girls on your team.

I always knew this would be the outcome, no doubt.

Smuggles

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:02 AM »
MU82 - congrats, but more importantly thanks for volunteering your time. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 07:49:19 AM »
I hear UConn is scouting you for when Geno eventually retires.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 08:06:10 AM »
What's your go to mind game?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »
Now give them their warm-ups back, they earned them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:54:59 AM »
MU82, nice work.  Nothing like watching a team that you have put so much time, effort, and sweat into come together and achieve.   My favorite part of coaching is watching the light come on for kids, and when it comes on for the entire team..... man.    So much fun. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 09:10:07 AM »
They let you run the 4-corners down in NC? 

A 2-0 win is still a win. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »
You should play like my sister's team did @ Pius XI back in the mid-90's.  They would score 12-15 points early...then hold the ball, pass, and dribble, for minutes on end, sometimes for an entire quarter.  They used to win games like 12-4, 15-2...

High comedy to watch

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
So what was the Vegas over/under?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 01:22:15 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the many nice words. It's been a crazy day, dealing with all the follow-up from the parents, planning our season-ending party (by which time I need to have evaluations/improvement plans done for each player), etc. The boys' basketball coach at the school, who had never before coached any sport and came to me regularly for advice (mostly on just dealing with off-the-court stuff), just sent me an e-Gift certificate for the Marquette store as a token of appreciation - very kind of him.

As for some of your comments ...

Great work, MU82. These kids will remember winning a conference title for a long time. Some may go on to bigger and better things on the hardwood, while for others this is the peak of their basketball playing career. However, they will all look back and remember that their hard work paid off. Congrats to you and your squad.

I'm sure this is true. My kids still fondly recall their middle-school basketball exploits. One girl this season made a half-court shot - she'll be telling her grandkids about that. Another went from averaging 2 ppg in the first half of the season to averaging 10 in the second half after one of last year's players told her to start asserting herself; she ended up leading us in scoring in the championship game - I doubt she'll forget that. And so on.

Any tripping techniques being taught?  Heard it is pretty standard in NC.

No, but one of my players last season was a black belt in tae kwon do (her dad was an instructor) and she didn't take crap from anybody!

Pretty clear the kids banded together to win in spite of their megalomaniacal coach. Congrats to them! 

Hey, if you want to overcome pure evil, you have to band together!

Congrats!

As a very close and very personal friend let me tell you how proud I am of you and the girls on your team.

I always knew this would be the outcome, no doubt.

Smuggles

Aww, that's so sweet, Smuggles. I hope you bet a few thou on us!

I hear UConn is scouting you for when Geno eventually retires.

If I coached UConn, there'd be even more winning. They'd win so much, they'd get sick of all the winning. Plus, they'd have an open-locker-room policy (for me only). Geno ... so overrated. Sad.

What's your go to mind game?

Well, there was the time I called time-out and promptly forgot the play I was going to have them run. I don't know if that qualifies as a "mind game," but it was good comic relief.

MU82, nice work.  Nothing like watching a team that you have put so much time, effort, and sweat into come together and achieve.   My favorite part of coaching is watching the light come on for kids, and when it comes on for the entire team..... man.    So much fun. 

I agree with this 100%. I mentioned the girl who didn't realize how good she was until a peer she respected told her so - to then watch her play like she did ... amazing. I've been at this school 4 years and have several "light bulb" stories. It's cool (and rewarding) every single time.

They let you run the 4-corners down in NC? 

A 2-0 win is still a win. 

You should play like my sister's team did @ Pius XI back in the mid-90's.  They would score 12-15 points early...then hold the ball, pass, and dribble, for minutes on end, sometimes for an entire quarter.  They used to win games like 12-4, 15-2...

High comedy to watch

I am not brave enough to trust a bunch of 12- and 13-year-old girls to work the clock like that. My philosophy is: "Just about any shot is better than a turnover!"

brandx

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the many nice words. It's been a crazy day, dealing with all the follow-up from the parents, planning our season-ending party (by which time I need to have evaluations/improvement plans done for each player), etc. The boys' basketball coach at the school, who had never before coached any sport and came to me regularly for advice (mostly on just dealing with off-the-court stuff), just sent me an e-Gift certificate for the Marquette store as a token of appreciation - very kind of him.

Now come the expectations, Mike.

Were you just Phil Jackson coaching MJ, Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq? Or were you Bo Ryan molding every player into the system making the whole better than the sum of its parts?

Next year is the big test. All eyes here will be on you next year. And in the finest Scoop tradition, some will be calling for your head.

Seriously, great job buddy. I sure the girls love playin' for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 03:13:51 PM »
Now come the expectations, Mike.

Were you just Phil Jackson coaching MJ, Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq? Or were you Bo Ryan molding every player into the system making the whole better than the sum of its parts?

Next year is the big test. All eyes here will be on you next year. And in the finest Scoop tradition, some will be calling for your head.

Seriously, great job buddy. I sure the girls love playin' for you.

Thanks, brand. I appreciate it.

I know you were just kidding about the first thing you said, but one of my biggest motivators to stay here is that there is no pressure at all except the pressure I put on myself (which is a lot). By now, it is my little fiefdom. Nobody questions me, even about playing time.

I had an offer to coach the JV team at a very good high school two years ago but 1, I didn't feel I was quite ready after only two years at the MS level; and 2, I felt I had unfinished business at my current school. It would be hard for me to argue that the business is still unfinished, so I have a big decision ahead of me this offseason. I'm pretty sure I could move up to a more prestigious MS job, or a JV head coach or a HS assistant, but I have to decide if I want the pressure that would go with any of those. I'm 56, so the clock is ticking, and after 2 straight titles I'll never be more "marketable."

I was recruited to coach an AAU team for the first time this spring, so that will be interesting. Whether it is a positive or negative experience could help shape my decision.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »
Will you send Wojo videos of your huddles?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »
Thanks, brand. I appreciate it.

I know you were just kidding about the first thing you said, but one of my biggest motivators to stay here is that there is no pressure at all except the pressure I put on myself (which is a lot). By now, it is my little fiefdom. Nobody questions me, even about playing time.

I had an offer to coach the JV team at a very good high school two years ago but 1, I didn't feel I was quite ready after only two years at the MS level; and 2, I felt I had unfinished business at my current school. It would be hard for me to argue that the business is still unfinished, so I have a big decision ahead of me this offseason. I'm pretty sure I could move up to a more prestigious MS job, or a JV head coach or a HS assistant, but I have to decide if I want the pressure that would go with any of those. I'm 56, so the clock is ticking, and after 2 straight titles I'll never be more "marketable."

I was recruited to coach an AAU team for the first time this spring, so that will be interesting. Whether it is a positive or negative experience could help shape my decision.

A little advice: Nothing could be more difficult than coaching Tween girls.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 09:38:54 PM »
A little advice: Nothing could be more difficult than coaching Tween girls.

Disagree.

Tween girls don't already think they know everything there is to know about basketball because they learned everything they need while playing video games. They are willing to be coached. They don't all have ADHD. They don't try behind-the-back dribbles in traffic. They don't take 3-pointers they can't hit because that's what Steph does. They care about the team and their teammates first.

I have coached boys and girls in this age group and, in general, prefer coaching girls.

Please no dopey sexual references, thank you. Be adults.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
Disagree.

Tween girls don't already think they know everything there is to know about basketball because they learned everything they need while playing video games. They are willing to be coached. They don't all have ADHD. They don't try behind-the-back dribbles in traffic. They don't take 3-pointers they can't hit because that's what Steph does. They care about the team and their teammates first.

I have coached boys and girls in this age group and, in general, prefer coaching girls.

Wasn't making any references.  That is a tough age in girls.  Your patience should be rewarded.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 10:15:41 PM »
Wasn't making any references.  That is a tough age in girls.  Your patience should be rewarded.

I knew you weren't making any references, Doc. I meant others down the line.

My patience has been rewarded. These are great kids and I have enjoyed the challenge of teaching them. It truly is a two-way street!

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 10:28:42 PM »
MU -- give this guy a look

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »
Disagree.

Tween girls don't already think they know everything there is to know about basketball because they learned everything they need while playing video games. They are willing to be coached. They don't all have ADHD. They don't try behind-the-back dribbles in traffic. They don't take 3-pointers they can't hit because that's what Steph Markus does. They care about the team and their teammates first.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 07:16:23 AM »
Disagree.

Does Steph have her college visits lined up yet? The Lady Eagles can always use more shooters.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback