[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: An Emotional Night (Long post alert)  (Read 15750 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: An Emotional Night (Long post alert)
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
The students stormed the court, and the refs just decided it was over.

So I guess that means we need to stop trashing the "lame" student section,  ay'na? They won the game for us.
Have some patience, FFS.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
It was mentioned in another thread I think, but they did foul him with about a second left. The ref called it and raised his arm. Started walking to the scorers table. The students stormed the court, and the refs just decided it was over.

Yes, it was the sideline official. Called a foul with .9 left on the clock. He was headed over to the scorer's table, but the rush of students overwhelmed the floor. The crew just decided, screw this, game over.

Wright is a classy coach. With that little time left, Nova didn't really have a shot to win, but plenty of other coaches would have blown a gasket and would have been whining about it all during the press conference.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2017, 03:09:11 PM »
Yes, it was the sideline official. Called a foul with .9 left on the clock. He was headed over to the scorer's table, but the rush of students overwhelmed the floor. The crew just decided, screw this, game over.

Wright is a classy coach. With that little time left, Nova didn't really have a shot to win, but plenty of other coaches would have blown a gasket and would have been whining about it all during the press conference.

The official raised his hand trying to get a jump on things, assuming that Nova would foul. The Nova defender got close to Hauser but never actually tried to foul him. If the player had made an obvious attempt to foul, they would have called it. The crew didn't let the call go because of the students. They did so because they recognized that Nova was conceding.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 03:12:45 PM »
The official raised his hand trying to get a jump on things, assuming that Nova would foul. The Nova defender got close to Hauser but never actually tried to foul him. If the player had made an obvious attempt to foul, they would have called it. The crew didn't let the call go because of the students. They did so because they recognized that Nova was conceding.

That may be true, but the ref definitely blew his whistle and raised his hand with 1 second left. You can see and hear it on replay. So, he made the call.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »
That may be true, but the ref definitely blew his whistle and raised his hand with 1 second left. You can see and hear it on replay. So, he made the call.

Exactly. The call was made. The issue was that the official who made the call was on the sideline across from the scorer's table. By the time he got to the table, the students were already on the court.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:32:33 PM by RJax55 »

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
I'm in the UD and I could see the sideline official just kind of give up on the foul call as he tried to walk through the swarm of fans. Given how replay has killed momentum and emotion at the end of games, I'm glad they didn't turn it into a thing.

I mean, that's why we watch, right? For the moment.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2017, 03:29:30 PM »
Wow, if the shoe were on the other foot I'd be moderately upset even though the odds are small. A miss and a make and a 2/3 court shot isn't impossible. Oh well.

And I think Jay Wright played it perfectly.  He knew what happened.  A little show of respect to MU and the BEast.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »
Not a lot of hoops fans in my office. It's mostly doctors and pointy-headed PhDs.

They know I am a big Marquette  fan,  though, and I was touched by the number of folks who came by to congratulate me, even before they saw my "note". And none of them were sports fans of any substance, so that shows you how much news coverage it got, even in Chicago.

Thanks, Chicago's a Great sports Town and now maybe we get a bigger pipeline to MU.  Wojo  knows' the area (recruiting) well. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Slim

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »
I vote Jim's Time Out for post game Scoop bar!

Great post Brew!

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »
Nice post and I enjoyed the video. Wish I was there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
Nice post and I enjoyed the video. Wish I was there.

Were you gonna go.....but you got high?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »
Oh man! Remember when we beat Villanova...
That was awesome!