[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: An Emotional Night (Long post alert)  (Read 15633 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: An Emotional Night (Long post alert)
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
Get out of here with your performance analysis.  There are plenty of other threads to put that crap.  This one is only for the feels.

Very Well Said, Speaks for me.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 10:12:34 AM »
CBS  highlited the storming of the court on
8 a.m. headlines

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 10:14:20 AM »
Announced attendance 14126

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »
Very Well Said, Speaks for me.

Sorry guys didn't mean it that way -- I'll delete it.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »
Sorry guys didn't mean it that way -- I'll delete it.

Thanks, you're a Good man.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »

The reaction of the crowd was several years of pent up frustration getting unleashed. This fan base has been longing for this type of win for a few years. The fact that so many people, students and alums, stayed so long after the game to soak it in shows how much it meant to MU. This was Wojo's first opportunity to see how electric the BC can be, just a great night for MU basketball. Even Raft and Brando seemed genuinely excited for MU in the extended post game coverage.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »

Magnificent Post Brew, seemed like pure insight on the emotions of many.    Thanks for Sharing.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
After a few pops downtown our group ventured back to campus to see what the vibe was like. We like to give the students crap, but I'm genuinely happy for them. I was at the bar talking with some seniors who were in total disbelief, they never experienced anything like last night. Made sure to buy a round for 'em.

Celebrating with friends and strangers, hearing from people all over the country, it was a beautiful night.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »
Great post, Brew.

Speaking of rushing the floor, I took some video from our seats in the upper bowl, and then I said to glow, "Let's go down there!"  All of the entrances from the concourse were blocked off by security, so we decided to see if we could sneak in from the Courtside Club.  When we got down there, we saw that we could, and as I was singularly focused on getting to the court, I heard glow (who was a couple of paces behind me), saying, "Great game, Coach!  Congratulations!"  I turned around, and glow was shaking Wojo's hand, who had been walking basically unaccompanied to the press room while his team was still standing on the scorer's table.

That game is going to right up there with the 2013 Butler/MU game at the NCAA's as far as the greatest games I have seen in person.

So far, that is...

Well if I'm guilty of any sin it's envy. I really do envy that you and other alums get to see those games in person and do hope you see more exciting games in the future. The only chance I get to see MU in person is when they play Seton Hall, St. Johns (at the Garden) or Nova at the Wells Fargo Center. It's not the same as being at a home game. Perhaps one of these years I'll make a trip out and brave a Milwaukee winter once again and cheer them on.

Beating Kentucky in Madison at the Mid East regionals in '69 and winning the NIT in '70 were pretty exciting for me, especially beating LSU in the semi-final and holding Pistol Pete to his all-time lowest scoring game was sweet.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:59:17 AM by muwarrior69 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
Great post, Brew!!

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
No worries.  I am having major focusing issues today in general. Been at work for almost two hours and haven't gotten a lick of work done.

You should have used this

https://twitter.com/muathletics/status/824119427209842692?s=09

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »
My own personal experience -- and near tragedy.

On my way home from work, I called my daughter and asked her to record the game.  I figured I'd probably end up starting it about 15-30 minutes late, catch up to live and watch the end.  Usually I program the DVR to record an additional hour, but since I would be watching the end live, I didn't bother asking my daughter to record the extra time.

I settled in and began watching with my daughter -- starting about 30 minutes late.  Like everyone else, I was discouraged, frustrated, etc.  I couple of things came up, so I had to pause it a couple of times.  Then things started happening!

I looked at the time and realized it was 10:07 (EST) and there were still a couple minutes on the game clock.  Panic!  I check the DVR and it's not recording any more!  "Sh!t!  I'm not going to see the end of this freaking game."  Marquette had just cut it to three.  I saw that there was only about 90 seconds more recorded.  I immediately hit record on the next scheduled show on FS1, praying that the game went at least seven minutes past the scheduled time.  I went back to the recorded game and watched and saw Villanova extend it to five with Brunson's layup -- 70-65.  Then the recording stopped.

I said a little prayer and hit play on the next recording, hoping I had the end of the game.  It started up...70-70, and Duane at the line.  I sure would have liked to have seen those 27 seconds and five points, but you have no idea how happy I was to see the final 46 seconds.  I came "this close" to missing it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:01:37 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »
You should have used this

https://twitter.com/muathletics/status/824119427209842692?s=09

Are you kidding?

That's been filled out and posted on the door of my office since 8:00 this morning.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 12:04:47 PM »
It was indeed a great evening to be at the BC  When we were missing free throw after free throw, audible groans from the crowd and the players were clearly getting frustrated as well.  We are in the UD, so took some shots of the crowd on the court.  No one wanted to leave.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
At the 8 minute mark, I started composing my game thoughts post.    Full of lamentation, freshmen will grow up, outhustled, Villanova is what we aspire to, yadayadayada.     68-55 and MU scores.   And scores again.   Whoa!    I open up a second tab and start doing a second game thoughts post, the one that got printed.    For the last 4 minutes, I made small changes to each post, virtually on a possession by possession basis.  I am sitting there giddily laughing as I go back and forth between the two scoop pages, one full of joy, one full of frustration. 

I really appreciate how FS1 chose to stay in Milwaukee well outside the time boundaries to show the exhilaration, interview Wojo and Katin in the moment and just soak in the emotion.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »
Great post, Brew.

Speaking of rushing the floor, I took some video from our seats in the upper bowl, and then I said to glow, "Let's go down there!"  All of the entrances from the concourse were blocked off by security, so we decided to see if we could sneak in from the Courtside Club.  When we got down there, we saw that we could, and as I was singularly focused on getting to the court, I heard glow (who was a couple of paces behind me), saying, "Great game, Coach!  Congratulations!"  I turned around, and glow was shaking Wojo's hand, who had been walking basically unaccompanied to the press room while his team was still standing on the scorer's table.

That game is going to right up there with the 2013 Butler/MU game at the NCAA's as far as the greatest games I have seen in person.

So far, that is...

It was a nice moment. Wojo was essentially 'alone' for a few seconds in what seemed like a 'Jimmy V' moment. I don't recall exactly what he quickly said to me but it's clear he was happy for both the players and the fans.  Oh, and another suit/tie/shirt is heading to the dry cleaners.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
Watching the replay right now.. (If you haven't had a chance, definitely get the FoxGo app and try to catch the replay). They are at the 3:30 mark where it went SwaggyDu STOP AND GO!!! layup, missed Nova 3, and then the Hauser 3 with 2 seconds left on the shot clock to make it 68-65... Man the BC blew up with that 3. So awesome just to hear on TV. Better in person, but on TV still amazing. Gives me goose bumps.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 01:46:47 PM »
Watching the replay right now.. (If you haven't had a chance, definitely get the FoxGo app and try to catch the replay). They are at the 3:30 mark where it went SwaggyDu STOP AND GO!!! layup, missed Nova 3, and then the Hauser 3 with 2 seconds left on the shot clock to make it 68-65... Man the BC blew up with that 3. So awesome just to hear on TV. Better in person, but on TV still amazing. Gives me goose bumps.

Rewatched the last 6 minutes. Teared up at the end. Not as much as the open tears of joy last night, but still a great, emotional watch.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 02:06:30 PM »
Speaking of Sam grabbing that rebound as time ran out .. was it just me, or weren't you all thinking, wait, that can't be the end, wasn't there a whistle or some timekeeping issue or something that means Nova gets another chance?

Then all the students rush the court, and I'm thinking, here we go, gonna take 10 minutes to get those kids off the court so Nova can play another 2 seconds. 

Took a good minute to shake that, like really, it's really really over?

CrowdOf5

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »
Speaking of Sam grabbing that rebound as time ran out .. was it just me, or weren't you all thinking, wait, that can't be the end, wasn't there a whistle or some timekeeping issue or something that means Nova gets another chance?

Then all the students rush the court, and I'm thinking, here we go, gonna take 10 minutes to get those kids off the court so Nova can play another 2 seconds. 

Took a good minute to shake that, like really, it's really really over?

I thought the exact same thing. Honestly I heard a whistle and thought they fouled Sam, then the students came, and I thought crap this will take awhile. But for some odd reason, Nova didn't foul Sam the instant he grabbed the board for whatever reason (as far as I can remember there was still time on the clock when he did).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
I thought the exact same thing. Honestly I heard a whistle and thought they fouled Sam, then the students came, and I thought crap this will take awhile. But for some odd reason, Nova didn't foul Sam the instant he grabbed the board for whatever reason (as far as I can remember there was still time on the clock when he did).

Yeah, I wanna say he grabbed the rebound with around 1 second on the clock. There was time to foul him, they just didn't. Guess when you pretty much never lose, you forget what to do in those situations, like the Soviets not pulling the keeper in 1980.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2017, 02:25:41 PM »
Are you kidding?

That's been filled out and posted on the door of my office since 8:00 this morning.

What's the reaction been, Since DePaul is not going anywhere.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
Yeah, I wanna say he grabbed the rebound with around 1 second on the clock. There was time to foul him, they just didn't. Guess when you pretty much never lose, you forget what to do in those situations, like the Soviets not pulling the keeper in 1980.

It was mentioned in another thread I think, but they did foul him with about a second left. The ref called it and raised his arm. Started walking to the scorers table. The students stormed the court, and the refs just decided it was over.

CrowdOf5

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »
It was mentioned in another thread I think, but they did foul him with about a second left. The ref called it and raised his arm. Started walking to the scorers table. The students stormed the court, and the refs just decided it was over.

Wow, if the shoe were on the other foot I'd be moderately upset even though the odds are small. A miss and a make and a 2/3 court shot isn't impossible. Oh well.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »
What's the reaction been, Since DePaul is not going anywhere.

Not a lot of hoops fans in my office. It's mostly doctors and pointy-headed PhDs.

They know I am a big Marquette  fan,  though, and I was touched by the number of folks who came by to congratulate me, even before they saw my "note". And none of them were sports fans of any substance, so that shows you how much news coverage it got, even in Chicago.
Have some patience, FFS.