[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wild Hall is a go  (Read 24432 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Wild Hall is a go
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
I won't go into a lot of detail, but a person who is well known to the development office told me there is something in the works that they plan on naming for Father Naus.  I believe it is a relatively minor (at least compared to a $100 million building) renovation of a particular landmark on campus.  I think that is great, but because Fr. Naus was such an icon in the Residence Life area, I think a dorm would have been more fitting.

And yes, I will be attending a MU gamewatching party/fundraiser this weekend and plan to speak to folks in the development office about it.

For the record, I think the honor for Father Wild is well-deserved.  But what bothers me is that the movement to name it after Father Naus was reasonably well-organized and known. There were even folks in the development office that were members of the "official" Facebook page.  Glow spoke informally to several members of the Development staff about what could be done to make this happen, but got crickets in response. If anyone had said, "We think it is an awesome idea, but let's be candid here: money talks.  Can you raise $X towards your cause?", at least we would have known what it would have taken, and made the decision on whether or not we had a chance of mounting a successful fundraising campaign.  Friends of mine are in possession of Father Naus's famous Christmas Card list (they helped him send them out in his final years).  That was a ready-to-go donor list with thousands of names on it.

Instead, the official word at the time the announced the new building was that "The overall project will primarily be funded through cash reserves, funds from the university’s capital budget and debt financing", and there nothing else said about money until yesterday's news.

Thanks for the context. It helps me understand a little bit better where you are coming from. Are you able to tell us a little more about how they plan to memorialize Fr. Naus? What landmark?

Still, its not like they are naming this the Harley-Davidson Residence Life Center Brought to You By Northwestern Mutual or some equally hollow corporate sponsorship. I am perfectly comfortable with them naming it after an influential president of the university who has basically given his life to MU.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:08:00 AM by Coleman »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2017, 10:39:12 AM »
Especially since it's named after Dick Bong....I mean, c'mon.

Plus the real dude has the most kills in American military history, so that's gotta count for something.  ;D

I would have guessed that to be Colonel Paul Tibbets.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2017, 10:39:46 AM »
Thanks for the context. It helps me understand a little bit better where you are coming from. Are you able to tell us a little more about how they plan to memorialize Fr. Naus? What landmark?

Still, its not like they are naming this the Harley-Davidson Residence Life Center Brought to You By Northwestern Mutual or some equally hollow corporate sponsorship. I am perfectly comfortable with them naming it after an influential president of the university who has basically given his life to MU.

I would rather not say, since it has not been officially announced or anything. I am not even sure it is a #donedeal.  I will say that it is not one of those iconic landmarks that you automatically think of when Marquette is mentioned, such as Joan of Arc (obviously), but if I told you what it was, you would know what I was talking about.

And now that you mention it, having a dorm named Harley-Davidson Hall would actually be kind of awesome.  If they give us some dough, let's rename McCabe.  That guy has been dead 100 years and won't even know.   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
I would rather not say, since it has not been officially announced or anything. I am not even sure it is a #donedeal.  I will say that it is not one of those iconic landmarks that you automatically think of when Marquette is mentioned, such as Joan of Arc (obviously), but if I told you what it was, you would know what I was talking about.

And now that you mention it, having a dorm named Harley-Davidson Hall would actually be kind of awesome.  If they give us some dough, let's rename McCabe.  That guy has been dead 100 years and won't even know.   ;)
Jinxed it Chick!
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
While naming a hall for Wild is fine with me, he wasn't my guy from the 80s like Raynor was.  Raynor has the library named for him, but in my time Raynor had his own retreat on 19th St north of Wells!  The PIG house.  I'm curious and perhaps will post on the Superbar what anyone thinks about sending their kids to MU now.  Is it worth it?
Mine graduated 4 years ago and he had agreat experience. Got a job right after graduating, lives in Milwaukee, says traditions never die and still loves Marquette. Loves MUBB and he became an excellent professional. So go for it but most important is that your S/D thinks it is a good fit.
Goal is National Championship

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2017, 04:50:47 PM »
17th and Wells...which side?

Is that old Campus Town?
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
Does Dick Strong still attend MU games?  I haven't noticed him sitting along the sideline lately.

I believe he is retired and no longer lives in WI.  Last I heard he lives in Aspen.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »
I believe he is retired and no longer lives in WI.  Last I heard he lives in Aspen.

A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:37 PM »
17th and Wells...which side?

Is that old Campus Town?

South side of Wells.  North of Humphrey (they knocked down some old hospital buildings to make room).  Across from OD on one side and the parking garage on the other.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
What's going to happen to the Old McCormick space? Just greenspace?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »

I've heard the long term plan is the new rec center goes there.  MU is embarrassed by the current student rec offerings.  Or more aptly put, incoming parents / incoming students are embarrassed by the current student rec offerings. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »

Yep new rec center with student health.  It's supposed to be a whole wellness thing with fitness, health and spirituality, etc..

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 05:55:38 PM »
      which padre walked thru campus feeding the squirrels-they would scoot up his cane and grab peanuts out of his pocket-it was pretty cool.  was that fr. naus?
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
South side of Wells.  North of Humphrey (they knocked down some old hospital buildings to make room).  Across from OD on one side and the parking garage on the other.

Both Humphrey and the building to the north that was demolished were Milwaukee's Children's Hospital for much of the 20th century.  Al's run originally started at 16th so kids in the hospital could wave to the runners down below.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
Nothin' rings like da Fr. Naus Carillon Bells, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 07:38:42 PM »
This took way longer than I thought it would.  Off your game, 4ever.

Some of us gotta make a livin' and can't spend all day on a chat board just waitin' ta bash da mofo, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »
He is actually the Uncle of a Marquette alum who is a good friend of mine.  So there's an MU connection....

You know someone from Poplar?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:59 PM »
You know someone from Poplar?

My friend was from Mequon. If you went to Marquette in the early '80's you would have at least heard of him.  His name appeared quite regularly in the Tribune.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:17:39 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2017, 08:31:08 PM »
My friend was from Mequon. If you went to Marquette in the early '80's you would have at least heard of him.  His name appeared quite regularly in the Tribune.

No clue on the Quinn hint. R. Ira Bong hails from Poplar.  Cool museum dedicated to him in Superior

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2017, 02:01:29 PM »

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2017, 02:05:55 PM »
I've heard the long term plan is the new rec center goes there.  MU is embarrassed by the current student rec offerings.  Or more aptly put, incoming parents / incoming students are embarrassed by the current student rec offerings.

Because the are, indeed, embarrassing.  Last week in Milwaukee and was informed by some administrators a new rec center opportunity will be built, but not as a replacement to Helfaer

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
Because the are, indeed, embarrassing.  Last week in Milwaukee and was informed by some administrators a new rec center opportunity will be built, but not as a replacement to Helfaer

Could be smart. If they turn Helfear into purely tennis and swimming facilities it is a fine building.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheer4MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »

Pretty sure they're planning to use the land between Engineering Hall and Helfaer plus the plot that Helfaer is on to build a new Business school and "Innovation Alley."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
Pretty sure they're planning to use the land between Engineering Hall and Helfaer plus the plot that Helfaer is on to build a new Business school and "Innovation Alley."

Keep helfear for tennis and swimming. Saves a lot of moola
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2017, 03:33:30 PM »
My guess is that a new student rec center would have more focus on weight and workout facilities.  No need to replicate the basketball courts right?