[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wild Hall is a go  (Read 24102 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Wild Hall is a go
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 06:30:09 PM »
Also, Wild Hall may be one of the best dorm names in the entire country.

Agreed. The only one I know of that is better is Weed Hall at Grand Valley State University. I know its the donor's last name....but I still think they didn't think it through.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

sodakmu87

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 06:36:11 PM »
While naming a hall for Wild is fine with me, he wasn't my guy from the 80s like Raynor was.  Raynor has the library named for him, but in my time Raynor had his own retreat on 19th St north of Wells!  The PIG house.  I'm curious and perhaps will post on the Superbar what anyone thinks about sending their kids to MU now.  Is it worth it? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »
While naming a hall for Wild is fine with me, he wasn't my guy from the 80s like Raynor was.  Raynor has the library named for him, but in my time Raynor had his own retreat on 19th St north of Wells!  The PIG house.  I'm curious and perhaps will post on the Superbar what anyone thinks about sending their kids to MU now.  Is it worth it?

I graduated in 2011 and loved my experience. Of course, my family had the resources to pay for half my tuition. If my family didn't have those resources I don't know if I would think the same way. I think I would, but mountains of loan debt has a way of changing your perspective.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 07:42:29 PM »
Agreed. The only one I know of that is better is Weed Hall at Grand Valley State University. I know its the donor's last name....but I still think they didn't think it through.

Bong Recreation Area?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 07:47:04 PM »
Bong Recreation Area?

Man I havent heard that name in awhile. Thats where the teens camped out at, at the camp I used to go/work at went before they got smart and went to an actual halfway decent place in Kettle Moraine.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »
Still waiting for the Dick Strong Tower to be built erected.

fixed

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 08:31:23 PM »
fixed

It would have been the Grandstaff of campus.  Instead, the momentum of that recruitment headed south to your Lincoln Park. Oh, for a Johnson Controls Sleep Member Mattress Residence Hall.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:33:56 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:49 PM »
This is a tremendous development. Going to make a huge difference in the type of kid we will get to come to the school. Better kids mean better ratings. Leads to more money. Virtuous Cycle.
Wtf r u talking about?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »
You gotta stop it with this whole "better kid" argument. It's getting old, and we've been over it before, that does not mean better rankings.

But maybe it will lead to better future MUScoop posters....
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »
Waitin' on da Tommy Crean Soccer Megaplex, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:21 PM »
I sincerely thought this forum was for anything MU related. And the Superbar was for everything else (sans politics). If I was mistaken, my bad, but is it really bugging you that much?

absolutely not.  i probably could have tealed it, but it always makes me chuckle when someone else does it.  like holy schnikees, shut 'er down 'ey? the universe is all out of wack-that's what happens when sheldon cooper becomes a mod ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
Thats a lotta cash. What in the world did they do to have that much laying around to donate?

Also, Wild Hall may be one of the best dorm names in the entire country.

River transportation company named Marquette Transportation.  Their company is based out of my home town and they're phenomenal people. Truly humble and not making the donations for the ego boost or anything like that. They truly love Marquette and everything the university stands for.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 07:07:51 AM »
Bong Recreation Area?

This one never gets old.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 08:09:41 AM »
But maybe it will lead to better future MUScoop posters....

I wouldn't recommend holding your breath for that one...
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »
This one never gets old.

Especially since it's named after Dick Bong....I mean, c'mon.

Plus the real dude has the most kills in American military history, so that's gotta count for something.  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
I wouldn't recommend holding your breath for that one...

As my dad always says "two times nothing....still nothing"
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 08:33:02 AM »
Waitin' on da Tommy Crean Soccer Megaplex, ai na?

This took way longer than I thought it would.  Off your game, 4ever.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »
I guess someone needs to come up with an 8-figure check first...it's disappointing that they can't honor someone simply because they deserve it.

As someone who still holds 5 figures in student debt to MU, I am more than okay with the university naming buidings according to the wishes of mega donors who fund the construction - as long as it it is deserved and reasonable. Naming a building after Fr. Wild is more than deserved, and more than reasonable. If we don't have mega donors, tuition becomes even more unaffordable, and eventually, MU ceases to exist.

I agree that Fr. Naus is also more than deserving, and I do hope he is somehow recognized soon, but I think you're being a little overly bitter.

EDIT: Put your frustration to action! Start a GoFundMe or something for Naus Tower at Wild Hall. Better yet...talk to university advancement about what is possible. I think one of the towers is still unnamed. I'll be the first to donate. I agree with you that he is deserving.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:45:18 AM by Coleman »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
As someone who still holds 5 figures in student debt to MU, I am more than okay with the university naming buidings according to the wishes of mega donors who fund the construction - as long as it it is deserved and reasonable. Naming a building after Fr. Wild is more than deserved, and more than reasonable. If we don't have mega donors, tuition becomes even more unaffordable, and eventually, MU ceases to exist.

I agree that Fr. Naus is also more than deserving, and I do hope he is somehow recognized soon, but I think you're being a little overly bitter.

EDIT: Put your frustration to action! Start a GoFundMe or something for Naus Tower at Wild Hall. Better yet...talk to university advancement about what is possible. I think one of the towers is still unnamed. I'll be the first to donate. I agree with you that he is deserving.

I have heard from some in UA that Fr. Naus' name doesn't generate the same level of excitement with donors as other possibilities.  IMO, they shouldn't be selling the name they should be selling the gift - the chance to provide generations of students much "better" residence experiences.  But I do appreciate that getting 10 million dollar checks is not easy. 

Hopefully, something beyond a minor room on the lower level of the AMU recognizes Fr. Naus.  He was a giant at MU and deserves so much more.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »

Maybe they name the chapel or new cafeteria in the new dorm complex after Father Naus?  It's a starting point.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »
Especially since it's named after Dick Bong....I mean, c'mon.

Plus the real dude has the most kills in American military history, so that's gotta count for something.  ;D

He is actually the Uncle of a Marquette alum who is a good friend of mine.  So there's an MU connection....
Have some patience, FFS.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »
Marquette’s new residence hall facility, located just south of Wells Street between 17th and 18th Streets. The $96 million co-ed facility for first-year and sophomore students will feature two 375-bed towers connected through the lower levels by dining and campus community space.

The Obvious names for the two towers are the Wild East and Wild West Towers.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »
Wild West. Love it.

Does Dick Strong still attend MU games?  I haven't noticed him sitting along the sideline lately.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »

I won't go into a lot of detail, but a person who is well known to the development office told me there is something in the works that they plan on naming for Father Naus.  I believe it is a relatively minor (at least compared to a $100 million building) renovation of a particular landmark on campus.  I think that is great, but because Fr. Naus was such an icon in the Residence Life area, I think a dorm would have been more fitting.

And yes, I will be attending a MU gamewatching party/fundraiser this weekend and plan to speak to folks in the development office about it.

For the record, I think the honor for Father Wild is well-deserved.  But what bothers me is that the movement to name it after Father Naus was reasonably well-organized and known. There were even folks in the development office that were members of the "official" Facebook page.  Glow spoke informally to several members of the Development staff about what could be done to make this happen, but got crickets in response. If anyone had said, "We think it is an awesome idea, but let's be candid here: money talks.  Can you raise $X towards your cause?", at least we would have known what it would have taken, and made the decision on whether or not we had a chance of mounting a successful fundraising campaign.  Friends of mine are in possession of Father Naus's famous Christmas Card list (they helped him send them out in his final years).  That was a ready-to-go donor list with thousands of names on it.

Instead, the official word at the time the announced the new building was that "The overall project will primarily be funded through cash reserves, funds from the university’s capital budget and debt financing", and there nothing else said about money until yesterday's news.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:47:07 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
Maybe they name the chapel or new cafeteria in the new dorm complex after Father Naus?  It's a starting point.

Agree, a chapel would be great!

feedback