Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stop with the 'senior leadership'  (Read 3818 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Stop with the 'senior leadership'
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
Many here continue to lament our lack of "senior leadership," as if Marquette's seniors are suddenly going to get consistently better, take charge and guide this team to greater glory. Not gonna happen.

I love Marquette University and Marquette basketball, but the seniors on this year's squad, while ranging from fair to quite good, will not suddenly hit their strides and shine. Not gonna happen.

The success of the season rests almost entirely with the younger and the youngest players. Play them and watch them soar.

fjm

• All American
Re: Stop with the 'senior leadership'
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:24:41 PM »
Many here continue to lament our lack of "senior leadership," as if Marquette's seniors are suddenly going to get consistently better, take charge and guide this team to greater glory. Not gonna happen.

I love Marquette University and Marquette basketball, but the seniors on this year's squad, while ranging from fair to quite good, will not suddenly hit their strides and shine. Not gonna happen.

The success of the season rests almost entirely with the younger and the youngest players. Play them and watch them soar.

You mean the guys that wojo recruited?  :o

But seriously, I agree. Howard, Hauser, rowsey, cheats and Wilson all showed heart today. JJJ tried hard. I'm sure Luke did too. But those young guns are going to be studs.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »
JI really don't get why everyone rips on JJJ

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 09:26:54 PM »
JI really don't get why everyone rips on JJJ

I think most people have too high of expectations for him. I definitely did preseason. My biggest gripe is that his issues are more "fixable" than others. Luke is the popular punching bag lately. His biggest issue is strength and lateral quickness IMHO. That can't improve overnight. JJJ's biggest issues are decision making and "pouting" (for lack of a better way to phrase it) when calls don't go his way. Those theoretically could improve overnight.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »
You mean the guys that wojo recruited?  :o

I know you are trying to be provocative but Wojo chose everyone on this roster.  There are many who didn't make it but our seniors did (3 years with Wojo and one with Buzz). 

He didn't recruit them but they are his guys.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:34:14 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »
I know you are trying to be provocative but Wojo chose everyone on this roster.  There are many who didn't make it but our seniors did (3 years with Wojo and one with Buzz). 

He didn't recruit them but they are his guys.

You make a good point.

And yes I was being provocative. He doesn't have a full roster of his guys he recruited.
But yes he does have a full roster of players he has kept and recruited.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »
You make a good point.

And yes I was being provocative. He doesn't have a full roster of his guys he recruited.
But yes he does have a full roster of players he has kept and recruited.

Something something bird in hand something something. I think that these guys are "the best he can get", and if he could replace them with people that fit his scheme better, he would. Ala Sandy falling out of favor. I believe the talent is there to have won some of the games we dropped, but just like with Jamil, you can't teach killer instinct. This team (or at least the combination that is seeing the floor when the rubber hits the road) does not have it.

I'm hoping that we revert to the norm and win some of these games, but that doesn't always happen in sports that don't have 80+ games.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 06:38:47 AM »

I think what a lot of people here, myself included, are lamenting isn't the talent of the seniors but more the sub-par effort, and even the decision-making. These are areas that should be strengths for most seniors, but I'm not sure our class will consistently show these things this year.

It could have something to do with the underclassmen being the better players, which could definitely hurt morale or egos, but I'm not sure if that's really the root cause. A strong senior doesn't have to fill up the stat sheet to be a good leader, but he should at least consistently hustle, keep his head up, and make good decisions. I don't think that's asking too much.

connie

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 07:34:34 AM »
Result of expectations and growth not being met.  I agree with the op, but understand the frustration between how we want things to be and how they are---regardless of the cause.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »
Wilson seems most frustrated, he seems to have the most leadership qualities between him, Luke, and JJJ. However, definitely not the same person on the court, there's something more than that groin injury going on as he can't change directions on defense anymore. He seems to have quite a hitch in his stride too. Never seems to complain about lack of playing time or make excuses. Hoping he can find some health, had some glimpses of it earlier in the year. I'd shut him down for a couple weeks rather than have him fight through it the rest of the season at 70%.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
First and foremost if I'm the coach I want my seniors to lead off the court, on the bench, and in the huddle.  As a fan, we don't see 95% of this, but of what we do see, there's not much leadership from our two seniors. 

Secondly, I want to see it in their play.  If not in the skills, in the heart, intensity and desire.  They should be leading by example on the court - working harder than anyone else. 

Finally, seniors should be in the right place at the right time.  They might not be the most skilled, but they should know the system, have the bball IQ and understand the flow of play better than anyone else on the court based on their experience.

I'm not saying our seniors need to average 20 & 10... but they do need to lead. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »
U are only as good as ur seniors

- any coach
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 11:52:31 PM »
U are only as good as ur seniors

- any coach

"What the f#ck is a 'senior'?"

- Coach Cal

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »
Senior leadership ... killer instinct ... blah blah blah.

Did JJJ show leadership and killer instinct when he drained those two huge OT jumpers against SH?

I saw Luke get a dunk and go down the court screaming, as players like to do these days. Is that leadership?

I agree with TAMU - Luke is Luke. He can't change much (if at all) on the court any more, and his personality is what it is. JJJ has a couple of correctable issues and it would be nice if Wojo or one of his assistants could do something about them - but maybe they can't.

This charge that neither of them "want" to win ... prove it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »

Did JJJ show leadership and killer instinct when he drained those two huge OT jumpers against SH?

I saw Luke get a dunk and go down the court screaming, as players like to do these days. Is that leadership?

I agree with TAMU - Luke is Luke. He can't change much (if at all) on the court any more, and his personality is what it is. JJJ has a couple of correctable issues and it would be nice if Wojo or one of his assistants could do something about them - but maybe they can't.

Where has it ever been said that they dont want to win??  Pretty silly of you

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »

I'm going to disagree with you on JjJ.    Standing and kvetching at the ref when you don't get a call while the ball goes the other way leaving your teammates to defend 4 on 5 is the epitome of lack of senior leadership.    As is standing there dumbfounded after throwing the ball away leading to the same scenario.     Forcing a 17 foot pull up jumper because somebody else has made the first 3 shots of a game.    Not fighting through screens.    Standing flatfooted after a defensive switch and watching Luke guard your guy while his guy rolls to the basket and you aren't sliding to take away the pass.         
 I believe that JjJ wants to win.    However, watching the games, it does not appear that he has committed to doing the tough things every time.   And that is what seniors have to do.   That is what leaders do.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
I'm going to disagree with you on JjJ.    Standing and kvetching at the ref when you don't get a call while the ball goes the other way leaving your teammates to defend 4 on 5 is the epitome of lack of senior leadership.    As is standing there dumbfounded after throwing the ball away leading to the same scenario.     Forcing a 17 foot pull up jumper because somebody else has made the first 3 shots of a game.    Not fighting through screens.    Standing flatfooted after a defensive switch and watching Luke guard your guy while his guy rolls to the basket and you aren't sliding to take away the pass.         
 I believe that JjJ wants to win.    However, watching the games, it does not appear that he has committed to doing the tough things every time.   And that is what seniors have to do.   That is what leaders do.

Fair assessment, tower.

Of course, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan and LeBron James, among dozens (hundreds?) of others, also were known/are still known for whining to refs while the play heads the other way.

I think JJJ is a net positive for MU basketball. Nevertheless, I agree with your assessment and wish he didn't do most or all of those things.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
These are simple things you can correct.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 08:59:19 AM »
These are simple things you can correct.

Apparently not, since he is about 85% through his MU playing career and is still doing most of them.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 09:57:21 AM »
Apparently not, since he is about 85% through his MU playing career and is still doing most of them.

I believe JJJ was a top 35 or 40 player coming out of high school. Unfortunately, more times than not his play does not resemble that. He should be having a banner year as a senior. At this point, this really is a what you see is what you get situation.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »
JJJ is a perfect case why you have to treat high school rankings with some trepidation.  I can see why he was ranked high.  He was probably real tough to guard by most at that level due to his athleticism so he could score at will.  My understanding is that his HS team played zone defense, so his issues there were hidden. 

So he comes here and goes from well above average athletically to just above average.  He has had to work simply to get his outside shot to "decent," and still struggles in the half-court defense. 

That's why when people cite a HS ranking when a player has more than one full year in the program, I just shake my head.  It is completely irrelevant. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
JJJ is a perfect case why you have to treat high school rankings with some trepidation.  I can see why he was ranked high.  He was probably real tough to guard by most at that level due to his athleticism so he could score at will.  My understanding is that his HS team played zone defense, so his issues there were hidden. 

So he comes here and goes from well above average athletically to just above average.  He has had to work simply to get his outside shot to "decent," and still struggles in the half-court defense. 

That's why when people cite a HS ranking when a player has more than one full year in the program, I just shake my head.  It is completely irrelevant.

No one bases high school rankings based on what they do in high school.  My guess is no ranker ever even saw him play a high school game. 
I dont disagree with what ur saying tho.  But would attest it to the aau curcuit.  Where most games are clise to pickup mode.  And his clear talent n athleticism would stick out.  His defense would look good on ball, and the premise is with the size, quickness n athketicism the kid should project to be a good defender. 
Jjj s priblems lie in the decision making area.  No reason hes not better he makes poor decisions n at times lacks effort.  Two things hard to discern in aau.
Luke has a penchant for standing, a horrible hsbit for someone thst slready lacks athleticism.  He doesnt seem to be a fighter either.  Not necessarily a bad thing in life.  But when those are ur 2 seniors..... They spell NIT

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »
No one bases high school rankings based on what they do in high school.  My guess is no ranker ever even saw him play a high school game. 
I dont disagree with what ur saying tho.  But would attest it to the aau curcuit.  Where most games are clise to pickup mode.  And his clear talent n athleticism would stick out.  His defense would look good on ball, and the premise is with the size, quickness n athketicism the kid should project to be a good defender. 
Jjj s priblems lie in the decision making area.  No reason hes not better he makes poor decisions n at times lacks effort.  Two things hard to discern in aau.
Luke has a penchant for standing, a horrible hsbit for someone thst slready lacks athleticism.  He doesnt seem to be a fighter either.  Not necessarily a bad thing in life.  But when those are ur 2 seniors..... They spell NIT

Good points all around.

feedback