'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A little perspective.  (Read 1778 times)

jonny09

• Team Captain
A little perspective.
« on: January 16, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »
First, I'll start by saying coaches are paid to win and lift programs to new heights.  Being young, not following instruction, and not big enough do matter, but only to a certain extent. If anybody needs proof that potential gets coaches fired and results matter look no further than the numerous 1 and done coaches in the NFL, NBA, etc.......  Having said that, I am seeing progress and that's encouraging.  Wojo should be given enough time to have a team full of his own recruits and build the program. All that said, it's really a combination of faults that lie on both Wojo and the players.   The hope is that over time our players get better and Wojo becomes a better in game coach.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:01:40 PM by jonny09 »

GGGG

• All American
Re: A little perspective.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:46:50 PM »
First, I'll start by saying coaches are paid to win and lift programs to new heights.  Being young, not following instruction, and not big enough do matter, but only to a certain extent. If anybody needs proof that potential gets coaches fired and results matter look no further than the numerous 1 and done coaches in the NFL, NBA, etc.......  Having said that, I am seeing progress and that's encouraging.  Wojo should be given enough time to have a team full of his own recruits and build the program. All that said, it's really a combination of faults that lie on both Wojo and the players.   The hope is that over time our players get better and Wojo becomes a better in game coach.

Cannot disagree with anything you said here.  While there has been progress, it has been slow.  And while I like somethings I see out of Wojo, he still has a ways to go as a coach.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »

Cannot disagree with anything you said here.  While there has been progress, it has been slow.  And while I like somethings I see out of Wojo, he still has a ways to go as a coach.
As long as we keep making progress and no setbacks we will be fine

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »

I have saying the same as the OP for awhile. Sometimes you can only go so far as a coach because of the tools you have.  Sometimes you pick the tools while other times you have to deal with what you have. I look for improvements of the team year over year and in season improvements as my gauge. Wojo has done that so far and once he has been able to choose his tools we will be able to see more of Wojo's style and his abilities.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:18:52 PM »
I agree with the intent and perspective here.  We should judge the coach and program on it's success and year over year progress.  To this point Wojo has, depending on your expectations, had plenty of the latter and 'some' of the former.

the one issue i would take is with the "1 and done coaches in the NFL, NBA, etc..." posturing.  Those are win at all costs environments.  Do those environments exist in NCAAB? I assume they do.  I for one would rather have slower progression than a win at all costs approach.  (this is totally ignoring the ability for a pro team to totally revamp its personnel from one year to the next)

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 10:34:35 AM »
I would also offer this as perspective.  6 years ago (almost to the day) we had an 18 point lead at Louisville with 5:44 to play and ended up losing by 1.  Sure, Louisville made some ridiculous shots but Marquette absolutely choked and blew numerous chances to ice the game.  It's still arguably the most painful loss I can think of.

The key upperclassmen on that team were DJO, Buycks, Crowder, and Butler and Vander, Cadougan and Gardner were also on the roster.  Looking back we were absolutely loaded but finished 9-9 in a loaded Big East.  We made the Sweet 16 that year, and again the following year, then the Elite 8 and a Big East title. 

Who knows if that type of success will follow this episode, but the point is that you learn from experience, it makes you stronger and part of becoming a great team is having some crushing defeats along the way.  As much as it stings, I hope these guys (including Wojo) are stronger for it and it leads to future success. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »
I would also offer this as perspective.  6 years ago (almost to the day) we had an 18 point lead at Louisville with 5:44 to play and ended up losing by 1.  Sure, Louisville made some ridiculous shots but Marquette absolutely choked and blew numerous chances to ice the game.  It's still arguably the most painful loss I can think of.

The key upperclassmen on that team were DJO, Buycks, Crowder, and Butler and Vander, Cadougan and Gardner were also on the roster.  Looking back we were absolutely loaded but finished 9-9 in a loaded Big East.  We made the Sweet 16 that year, and again the following year, then the Elite 8 and a Big East title. 

Who knows if that type of success will follow this episode, but the point is that you learn from experience, it makes you stronger and part of becoming a great team is having some crushing defeats along the way.  As much as it stings, I hope these guys (including Wojo) are stronger for it and it leads to future success.

The problem is that the Butler game was not a one-game meltdown, ala the Louisville game 6 years ago. This team has been blowing double-digit 2nd half leads all season. Sometimes we do hold on (Fresno, SH) and others we don't (Pitt, SH (away), Butler). And, unfortunately, I have no doubt this trend will continue the rest of the season.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:02:17 AM »

In 2 years, Wojo will have all his own recruits.  If the talent is not there, it is all on the coaching staff.   Wilson will be the only one left next year, but will have 4 or
5 new players next year, give the frosh and soph one year to grow and add as it looks a solid recruiting class.  Then we will see if Wojo can do it.  Works hard, to
be in Minny after that loss ouch.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
Makes me curious about what is discussed in interviews for college head coaching positions.  I have always pictured it being the prospective coach talking about what the program will look like when it's all his guys, his plans, etc.

How much do they talk about the..."yeah that's great but what are you going to do with the old guys players for the next 1-3 years" and how much does that factor into the hiring decision?  If you really like what the end product description but the guy obviously can't work with the current players, is that a non-starter, no hire?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
The problem is that the Butler game was not a one-game meltdown, ala the Louisville game 6 years ago. This team has been blowing double-digit 2nd half leads all season. Sometimes we do hold on (Fresno, SH) and others we don't (Pitt, SH (away), Butler). And, unfortunately, I have no doubt this trend will continue the rest of the season.

This is the one thing I can't stand people on this forum for. This has been a pattern for Wojo as a coach, blowing big leads. One or two are fine and acceptable, but the amount he has had over the last two years should be a concern for everyone here, not a blow off "he doesn't have his guys yet"

scout

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
the 8 or 9 players who have been seeing most of the action are as whole a talented group of players but the team has little in the way of muscle and that is something that can't be remedied with the players on this roster.  Heldt and Fischer can do better but they are up against guys who are better on the boards and defense.  I don't see how the others can help since they are skilled players who are not built for the job underneath.  Now if they were not consistently facing teams with mobile quick 240 pounders then yes extra hustle and guts will help more, but expectations are too high.  Still, they have a really nice team that hopefully will end up with a very respectable record.  I really like the efforts of those first 7 or 8 guys.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
the 8 or 9 players who have been seeing most of the action are as whole a talented group of players but the team has little in the way of muscle and that is something that can't be remedied with the players on this roster.  Heldt and Fischer can do better but they are up against guys who are better on the boards and defense.  I don't see how the others can help since they are skilled players who are not built for the job underneath.  Now if they were not consistently facing teams with mobile quick 240 pounders then yes extra hustle and guts will help more, but expectations are too high.  Still, they have a really nice team that hopefully will end up with a very respectable record.  I really like the efforts of those first 7 or 8 guys.

I think this is also a factor in blowing leads.  This team is built for jump shots and defending by using quickness to create turnovers.  As the game goes on, our guys start to tire and the jump shots don't fall at the same rate and we lose our edge in quickness.  Our deficiencies in rebounding also become more pronounced.  The nice thing about having a size advantage is that it doesn't decrease over the course of a game.  A lot of teams have been able to exploit us this way in the second half.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
This is the one thing I can't stand people on this forum for. This has been a pattern for Wojo as a coach, blowing big leads. One or two are fine and acceptable, but the amount he has had over the last two years should be a concern for everyone here, not a blow off "he doesn't have his guys yet"

So what do you want us to do instead?