Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: X/Creighton  (Read 8120 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: X/Creighton
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
Ha pretty sure you completely missed the point. DJ was important because his backup barely played. As the best defender and initiator of the offense, DJ was our most important player in 2009. Way to miss the obvious though :)

Allow me to add a ha in here as well.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »
Interesting logic.

Certain teams you can just count on to choke. Look at Creighton's basketball history 8/11 times they don't make it past the first round of the NIT (10 out of 11 they haven't won more than the opening game), 19/19 NCAA appearances they don't win more than one NCAA tournament game. Sure it's always possible they eventually catch fire and win two but I happen to believe certain schools are chokers.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2017, 11:07:47 AM »
Terrible news. Poor timing for MU. Think this elicits the same response for the Jays as Nova's loss to Butler did.

Quite the opposite, IMO.  We had virtually no chance to win on Saturday.  Now, we have slightly better than no chance.  Still a likely loss, but they're either going to have some super inexperienced PG running the show, or a guy who isn't really a PG.  I think we have a chance to press them and get a bunch of turnovers and run outs.  The boys know we need a big time road win. IMO, this becomes a decent chance at one.

I think the poor timing has moreso to do with the fact that Creighton may fall back to the pack a bit now.  Maybe go 6-6 the rest of the way and end up 11-7.  While that win may look like the marquee win we badly need on Saturday, it may just look like a very, very good win come selection sunday.  In any event, the win would be huge.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »
Certain teams you can just count on to choke. Look at Creighton's basketball history 8/11 times they don't make it past the first round of the NIT (10 out of 11 they haven't won more than the opening game), 19/19 NCAA appearances they don't win more than one NCAA tournament game. Sure it's always possible they eventually catch fire and win two but I happen to believe certain schools are chokers.

I don't know.  Programs change.  Creighton is a completely different program than it was a couple years ago.  They are recruiting a very different level due to the conference change.  Attracting some of the best transfers around.  Past tournament results don't mean much to me, especially for a program that is in a completely different spot than it was for all but 1 of its NCAA appearances, and even that was in Creighton's first year in the league.

I think the Watson loss is a huge blow.  For me, they go from a legit Final 4 contender to just a very interesting team.  But the tourney remains largely a crap shoot, and I wouldn't be at all shocked to see them win a few games in March. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
I don't know if Watson's absence is enough for MU to win in Omaha on Saturday.   I am pretty sure it isn't.    What it does do is seriously weaken one of the Big East teams that had a realistic chance to make a deep run in the tourney.    And that hurts the entire Big East.    Good luck, young man.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »

Like Nova under Jay Wright or like the Cleveland Cavaliers and Chicago Cubs. Some teams will just never get it done in big moments.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2017, 11:36:11 AM »
I mean, we're still probably gonna lose but I don't see how this could possibly be true. They might be on an emotional high, but they lost their best player. Interested to see what the spread is going to be.

Watson is the best PG in the country and when he went down his teammates, on the road, maintained their level of play and beat what is considered a surefire NCAA team. The shock of losing him will have worn off by tip on Saturday. Their new reality will have been adjusted to in practice. Their fanbase provides one of the greatest atmospheres in the country.

To discount Creighton, a fantastically well rounded basketball team, rallying around this moment and coming out with a determined purpose as "not possible" is shortsighted.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
Like Nova under Jay Wright or like the Cleveland Cavaliers and Chicago Cubs. Some teams will just never get it done in big moments.

See you point to those times you were right and say "see you're wrong" however, I'm sitting here happy after years and years of being right about certain teams choking and I'll laugh at occasionally being wrong.

Going back to 2000 the only first time Final Four teams were Maryland, VCU, Butler and George Mason. There's just not many teams that'll make their school's first final four anymore. If you want to be the guy that says Creighton's going to be the 5th first timer of (after this year) 68 schools that have made the Final Four since the turn of the century then go ahead but I wouldn't bet those odds. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
Ha pretty sure you completely missed the point. DJ was important because his backup barely played. As the best defender and initiator of the offense, DJ was our most important player in 2009. Way to miss the obvious though :)

Ha, misread scanning too fast at work. Upon further evaluation, agree with your point. Ruling on the field overturned  :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2017, 12:05:31 PM »
Terrible news. Poor timing for MU. Think this elicits the same response for the Jays as Nova's loss to Butler did.

What losses motivated Nova to pound Xavier the game after they played us?  Or Seton Hall on Saturday?

Fact of the matter is, Nova is one of the top 3 teams in the country.  Marquette, Xavier, and Seton Hall aren't.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
See you point to those times you were right and say "see you're wrong" however, I'm sitting here happy after years and years of being right about certain teams choking and I'll laugh at occasionally being wrong.

Going back to 2000 the only first time Final Four teams were Maryland, VCU, Butler and George Mason. There's just not many teams that'll make their school's first final four anymore. If you want to be the guy that says Creighton's going to be the 5th first timer of (after this year) 68 schools that have made the Final Four since the turn of the century then go ahead but I wouldn't bet those odds.

See, that's different than "Certain teams you can just count on to choke." Your argument has changed to "I'm betting against any team without a Final Four appearance in their history." That's logical since most schools with strong basketball programs have had a Final Four.

In Creighton's last 13 NCAA appearances (with the current seeding model), Creighton has been a 10-seed or higher 8 times (avg seed 9). They've technically been upset in the 1st Round twice - once as a 6 vs 11 and once as an 8 vs 9. As a result of this, you're going to label a program that spent nearly 40 years in the Missouri Valley Conference as "chokers." I think you need to change your definition of that term.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2017, 12:38:49 PM »
Oh yeah, he might go for 20/20.

Patton might be the most fun player to watch in the BE, or all of college basketball. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »
The Watson injury turns the second most unwinnable game on the schedule into a winnable one. I'm not expecting a win on Saturday but we have a better shot than I think we are giving ourselves.

Watson will be replaced by either Zierden or untested true freshman Damion Mintz. Running with IZ will force them to completely alter their play style. Zierden doesn't have the speed, quickness, or passing to play the high octane offence that Creighton has run this year. They will have to play a slower grind it out style. That will be a big adjustment. Maybe a big enough one that Marquette can steal one on the road.

Losing a pg mid-season is like losing a qb in football. Sometimes Dak Prescott comes in and saves the day. More often, Matt McGloin blows up your once promising season. We'll see what Creighton is able to do.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2017, 03:17:51 PM »
See, that's different than "Certain teams you can just count on to choke." Your argument has changed to "I'm betting against any team without a Final Four appearance in their history." That's logical since most schools with strong basketball programs have had a Final Four.

In Creighton's last 13 NCAA appearances (with the current seeding model), Creighton has been a 10-seed or higher 8 times (avg seed 9). They've technically been upset in the 1st Round twice - once as a 6 vs 11 and once as an 8 vs 9. As a result of this, you're going to label a program that spent nearly 40 years in the Missouri Valley Conference as "chokers." I think you need to change your definition of that term.

ok how's this for my actual point "I'd never bet on Creighton to go anywhere in the tournament" Coach hasn't gone anywhere in 6 NCAA appearances and neither has the program. I'm sure it'll happen some day and when it does I'll be happy for the conference. Until that day I'll love that I've been right filling out my bracket for years. 

I don't know what you're trying to claim about 40 years in the MVC as in that time span SIU has a couple sweet 16s, Wichita State has a FF, E8, and a couple sweet 16s, Northern Iowa has made the sweet 16, Bradley made a sweet 16 and Indiana State made the title game. My point being that saying "40 years in the Missouri Valley Conference" isn't exactly a good excuse when half the conference managed to make it out of the first weekend with less chances.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
The Watson injury turns the second most unwinnable game on the schedule into a winnable one. I'm not expecting a win on Saturday but we have a better shot than I think we are giving ourselves.

Watson will be replaced by either Zierden or untested true freshman Damion Mintz. Running with IZ will force them to completely alter their play style. Zierden doesn't have the speed, quickness, or passing to play the high octane offence that Creighton has run this year. They will have to play a slower grind it out style. That will be a big adjustment. Maybe a big enough one that Marquette can steal one on the road.

Losing a pg mid-season is like losing a qb in football. Sometimes Dak Prescott comes in and saves the day. More often, Matt McGloin blows up your once promising season. We'll see what Creighton is able to do.

Can Marcus Foster not play PG? I assumed that'd be the transition, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2017, 03:57:44 PM »
Can Marcus Foster not play PG? I assumed that'd be the transition, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.
His career A/TO ratio is about 1:1.       I doubt it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »
ok how's this for my actual point "I'd never bet on Creighton to go anywhere in the tournament" Coach hasn't gone anywhere in 6 NCAA appearances and neither has the program. I'm sure it'll happen some day and when it does I'll be happy for the conference. Until that day I'll love that I've been right filling out my bracket for years. 

I don't know what you're trying to claim about 40 years in the MVC as in that time span SIU has a couple sweet 16s, Wichita State has a FF, E8, and a couple sweet 16s, Northern Iowa has made the sweet 16, Bradley made a sweet 16 and Indiana State made the title game. My point being that saying "40 years in the Missouri Valley Conference" isn't exactly a good excuse when half the conference managed to make it out of the first weekend with less chances.
This year was easily their best team. Maybe they did not go far enough before, because they just were not good enough. Besides that I am not sure there is a team that you can say is a heavy favorite to win it all. I have heard commentators say North Carolina is the most complete team, but I have not watched them play. However, is there any team you want to rush to Vegas and put a big bet down on them winning it? That is why I thought Creighton had a chance. They were very good and there is no team that I perceive as being head and shoulders above everyone else.  Now by chance I would have put it at 10 to 1 and Villanova I would of put at 8 to 1.

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2017, 04:44:29 PM »
There are only a handful of teams in the country that can go win at Xavier, even with a full deck. Creighton managed to do it after watching their All-American PG go down in a heap and scrapping the entire game plan on the fly. That speaks to how good the rest of that roster is. MU will have its hands full on Saturday.

Also, when CU had Doug they made three straight NCAA Tournaments and won three straight first round games. Their second round opponents were Duke, Carolina in Greensboro, and Baylor in Texas. Hard to say that's choking rather than just running into really good teams.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:46:16 PM by MarquetteBallin »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »

I would put Thomas there before Foster. Foster is so good off the ball, I don't think you compromise that by making him the primary ball handler. Plus, he is a scorer pure and simple. He hardly ever looks to pass. You can be a score first PG but you have to know when to give it up to your teammates.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2017, 01:42:25 PM »

Why are we even worried about this guy running the point?
A) Sharknado sucked.
B) He's got to be at least 50.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria