'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: X/Creighton  (Read 8163 times)

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
Re: X/Creighton
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
It's not hyperbole that he was one of the three best point guards in the country. Certainly one of the most valuable to his team. Creighton played an impossible style and was a legitimate Final Four contender with Watson. Now, the Sweet 16 looks like an absolute best case scenario.

This really sucks for Creighton, the Big East, and college basketball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
It's not hyperbole that he was one of the three best point guards in the country. Certainly one of the most valuable to his team. Creighton played an impossible style and was a legitimate Final Four contender with Watson. Now, the Sweet 16 looks like an absolute best case scenario.

Absolutely devastating and sad for Creighton and basketball. Reminds me of DJ going down on a team destined to go deep in the tourney. Mo is a much more meaningful player to that squad. Feel for him

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
I feel terrible for him and their team.  But yes, our chances of winning that game went up significantly (from zero to slightly more than zero).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
Absolutely devastating and sad for Creighton and basketball. Reminds me of DJ going down on a team destined to go deep in the tourney. Mo is a much more meaningful player to that squad. Feel for him

I'm not sure about that. Acker had 2 DNPs, 9 games with 10 or fewer minutes, and only 3 games with 11+ minutes in conference play before James went down. Cooby, as I recall, played even less. I'm not sure what Creighton will do, my guess is probably try to split minutes at the point between Zierden and Thomas, but while they're certainly not as good a team without him, I'm not sure they are more reliant on Watson than that 2009 team was on James, who was the linchpin to the offense and by far the best man defender.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »
I feel terrible for him and their team.  But yes, our chances of winning that game went up significantly (from zero to slightly more than zero).
From a bball standpoint, I would imagine Creighton will be a little out of sorts against us considering it will be their first game without their floor leader.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 03:59:01 PM »
I'm not sure about that. Acker had 2 DNPs, 9 games with 10 or fewer minutes, and only 3 games with 11+ minutes in conference play before James went down. Cooby, as I recall, played even less. I'm not sure what Creighton will do, my guess is probably try to split minutes at the point between Zierden and Thomas, but while they're certainly not as good a team without him, I'm not sure they are more reliant on Watson than that 2009 team was on James, who was the linchpin to the offense and by far the best man defender.
For the love of lord, we need to press the sh*$ out of them to exploit the inexperience and because our half-court defense blows chunks. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »
Freakin' sucks about Watson.  Could have meant a Final Four appearance for their program and our conference, possibly costs one of the middling BE teams (maybe even us) an NCAA bid, might even stop McDermott from earning a deserved conference CoY award and national CoY contention.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:15:18 PM by chapman »

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
Freakin' sucks about Watson.  Could have meant a Final Four appearance for their program and our conference, possibly costs one of the middling BE teams (maybe even us) an NCAA bid, might even stop McDermott from earning a deserved conference CoY award and national CoY contention.

One of the best backcourts in America, one of the fastest points in America and a team that really could get up and down the court.  Different team now, really good,
but not having Watson really hurts, reminds me DJ getting hurt, kills ya.  Can not replace a player like that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »
Torn ACL, college career over.

Absolutely devastating for Creighton. We had never made the Sweet 16. This was supposed to be the year. Most likely not anymore.

Wow that blows man.  Sorry to hear it.  Crazy Creighton has never made the Sweet 16.  Still a very, very good team.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »

Super hard to say that.  I certainly liked their chances better with Watson, but the tourney is such a crapshoot. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
Super hard to say that.  I certainly liked their chances better with Watson, but the tourney is such a crapshoot.

I'd never put a team like creighton advancing in my bracket. Couldn't do it with Mcdermott couldn't do it with Korver wouldn't have my hopes up for Watson.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
Horrible news for Creighton. Hate to see someone's college career end like that ;especially when they would have advanced far in the tourney.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
Absolutely sucks for Creighton, but that being said, you'd be a fool to not think this helps MU's chances of beating them(twice) immensely now. I want in the tourney so bad this year..I will take any breaks we can get for MU.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
I'd never put a team like creighton advancing in my bracket. Couldn't do it with Mcdermott couldn't do it with Korver wouldn't have my hopes up for Watson.

Fair, but how many people had 'Nova going out early last year because they hadn't done it in years past? Watson makes them go, but Patton and Foster have been just as instrumental in their success. They're not a one-man team by any stretch. Hegner, Huff, Zierden, and Thomas all have added quality depth as well. They also weren't just beating people, 15 of their 18 wins are by double-digits (including Wisconsin and Butler). Obviously it depends on how the bracket falls, but I think they had just enough defense to be a viable Final Four contender.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »
Sorry to see a hard working solid young man like Watson go down. I really enjoyed watching him play and believe he was going to lead Creighton deep into the tournament. Hopefully he has a complete recovery.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 10:47:16 PM »
Fair, but how many people had 'Nova going out early last year because they hadn't done it in years past? Watson makes them go, but Patton and Foster have been just as instrumental in their success. They're not a one-man team by any stretch. Hegner, Huff, Zierden, and Thomas all have added quality depth as well. They also weren't just beating people, 15 of their 18 wins are by double-digits (including Wisconsin and Butler). Obviously it depends on how the bracket falls, but I think they had just enough defense to be a viable Final Four contender.

Fair point about nova but they had been there before, there was always a chance Jay got them back to his old tournament ways. Coach McDermott hasn't shown me any tournament grit to believe in, I'd put him in with Stallings as a coach that'll never go anywhere in the tournament even when there's amazing talent.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 11:34:22 PM »
I popped over to Creighton's board to get an idea of how they thought that the team would replace Watson at the point. Most of them seem dead on convinced that true freshman Davion Mintz...who has averaged 5.8 minutes per game...was ranked #340 in the nation per 247....and has an A/T ratio of 1....is ready to step in and start with little drawback. They think the only reason he hasn't played to this point is because Mo is so good and Zierden is a senior so he has to get some playing time. Must be nice to have a winning team. They even think the scrubs are great.

They could be right. I have never watched Davion Mintz. But I would expect Zierden to get the lion's share of the minutes. I would have expected Kyhri Thomas to try his hand at the point before Mintz getting a run.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:40 AM »
LOL - I'm guilty of beating dead horses, too, Mike. We need better topics, damn it! Maybe a discussion of literature, architecture or the death penalty can add some missing zest to the relationship. Better yet, where's Crash when we need him - resurrect the haiku!

an intriguing read
a finely crafted abode
more joy than from hoops

Death on call

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »
I thought Creighton had a chance to win the NCAA tournament this year. That would of been absolutely huge for the Big East. Winning it two years in a row with different schools. That would be more valuable than Villanova winning it back to back.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2017, 08:50:04 AM »
I thought Creighton had a chance to win the NCAA tournament this year. That would of been absolutely huge for the Big East. Winning it two years in a row with different schools. That would be more valuable than Villanova winning it back to back.

Anything is possible but I don't think their defense even with Watson was good enough to win it all.  A major tournament run was in the offing though.  Now it is going to be difficult.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »

Ha pretty sure he meant Mo Watson was more meaningful to Creighton than DJ was to the '09 MU squad, not Mo Acker was more meaningful to the '09 squad than DJ. Way to break down the obvious though  :)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »

Interesting logic.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
Ha pretty sure he meant Mo Watson was more meaningful to Creighton than DJ was to the '09 MU squad, not Mo Acker was more meaningful to the '09 squad than DJ. Way to break down the obvious though  :)

Ha pretty sure you completely missed the point. DJ was important because his backup barely played. As the best defender and initiator of the offense, DJ was our most important player in 2009. Way to miss the obvious though :)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
Terrible news. Poor timing for MU. Think this elicits the same response for the Jays as Nova's loss to Butler did.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
Terrible news. Poor timing for MU. Think this elicits the same response for the Jays as Nova's loss to Butler did.

I mean, we're still probably gonna lose but I don't see how this could possibly be true. They might be on an emotional high, but they lost their best player. Interested to see what the spread is going to be.