[Today at 06:01:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The future is bright... Today was dark, really dark  (Read 7638 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: The future is bright... Today was dark, really dark
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »
They gave up those points for two reasons. First, they were missing shots which kept the defense from getting set. Second, the refs were calling a tight game so any contact sent Butler to the line.
If we were making shots, the defense would have been set and we would have had better position so we might not have fouled as much. However if we were also driving, we would have had easier shots from close range, would have also been able to get to the line, and would have been able to compete with Butler at their own game.

The problems may have been ending on the defensive end, but they were starting on the offensive end.

I may be wrong here, but I think they scored 39 points in the 2nd half.  Again, I may be wrong, but I believe that is only 2 fewer points than they scored in the 1st half.  The big difference in halves was not the offense. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »
1 shot attempt for Fischer today from the field.  Your senior big gets 1 attempt.  Nice job today Wojo.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
An interesting comment from Wojo after the game.  I think he gets it.  Don't understand why he can't get his players to grasp it.

"Obviously, I got to do a lot better job. I take full responsibility for anything that happens with our team," Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski said.

"At times when teams have made a run on us in the second half where we have had leads, our answer is always `call my play and I'll bail us out with the basket," he said. "Butler's answer to adversity tonight was to play better defense. The way they answer adversity is the way you win. The way we try to answer adversity is the way you lose."
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
An interesting comment from Wojo after the game.  I think he gets it.  Don't understand why he can't get his players to grasp it.

"Obviously, I got to do a lot better job. I take full responsibility for anything that happens with our team," Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski said.

"At times when teams have made a run on us in the second half where we have had leads, our answer is always `call my play and I'll bail us out with the basket," he said. "Butler's answer to adversity tonight was to play better defense. The way they answer adversity is the way you win. The way we try to answer adversity is the way you lose."

Mind positing the link? Can't find it
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »

So whose fault is it in how they try to answer adversity as he explains it?!?!  Who's running things?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
Sounds like a scooper.  Players have to make plays on defense.  See: Crowder, Jae.  James, Dominic.  Blue, Vander.  Butler, Jimmy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »
I may be wrong here, but I think they scored 39 points in the 2nd half.  Again, I may be wrong, but I believe that is only 2 fewer points than they scored in the 1st half.  The big difference in halves was not the offense.

The 38-18 run to put Butler up 63-59 buried us. That's when we didn't adjust quickly enough on offense.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
So whose fault is it in how they try to answer adversity as he explains it?!?!  Who's running things?

Ah, right you're back again after loss to drone on about the same crap as always.

Gotta be honest, I really didn't miss your presence.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 04:04:15 PM »
Ah, right you're back again after loss to drone on about the same crap as always.

Gotta be honest, I really didn't miss your presence.

I'm frustrated.  I've let several losses go by also w/o saying anything, and until today, I've advocated and defended Wojo.   But today's game was egregiously bad coaching.    So where am I wrong?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:15:21 PM by HutchwasClutch »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
The 38-18 run to put Butler up 63-59 buried us. That's when we didn't adjust quickly enough on offense.

Please re-read your sentence.  The offense not adjusting did us in?  When they blew a 16 point half time lead.  Ok if this is what you are going to stick with ok.  To me, this game didn't scream offensive problems, but to you obviously it did.  We can agree to disagree. 

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 04:16:53 PM »
Please re-read your sentence.  The offense not adjusting did us in?  When they blew a 16 point half time lead.  Ok if this is what you are going to stick with ok.  To me, this game didn't scream offensive problems, but to you obviously it did.  We can agree to disagree.

Isn't it clear that the offense sucked for not keeping pace with a 63 point second half?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
Isn't it clear that the offense sucked for not keeping pace with a 63 point second half?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »

From another angle, Marquette scored 10 points in the first eight minutes of the second half. This was a second half that saw liberal use of the whistle from the officials. Unlike Butler, there was no concerted effort from the Warriors to exploit the proclivities of the three men in stripes.

Not making that adjustment was an issue and allowed Butler to enjoy all the advantages: scoring with a stopped clock; racking up fouls on MU guards; easier defensive possessions.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2017, 04:30:50 PM »
the bright spots:
1a. you can see Wojo's offense beginning to take shape

Oh, phew. It only took 83 games at the helm. How reassuring.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »
Oh, phew. It only took 83 games at the helm. How reassuring.

Can we stop acting like his first season should be considered in any judgment of his coaching abilities?

GE911

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 04:49:28 PM »
Those teams were probably down 30 and didn't foul the last 90 seconds. They scored 6 or 7 at free throw line. Also, the refs called ticky tack sh*t to start the half and they were in bonus with 14:30 to go! The hell you want Wojo to do about Luke grabbing 1 rebound? What does Wojo do about Hauser, Rowsey, Wilson and Howard getting destroyed off the dribble? Or Howard being careless with the ball during the 17-2 run. Want them to go zone? Defensive rebounding is atrocious in man.

Just accept it, they're young and soft on defense. They need to get way stronger to handle the physical teams. Not sure why you and others expect anything different. Just wait until John, Eke and hopefully the transfer from SMU get going. Team is missing toughness and Rim protection. No help on the backside and no rebounding presence. It'll change, give Wojo some time.

Did you read the title of this thread? That whole "the future looks bright" thing. That's me giving wojo time
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:53:32 PM by GE911 »

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
Can we stop acting like his first season should be considered in any judgment of his coaching abilities?

Point taken.

Oh phew, we can finally see Wojo's offense beginning to take shape in the 18th game of the season. How reassuring. How's that for evaluating his coaching abilities?
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »
Really?!  Just the seniors??  No, it was every player.  Which happens when you're coach is being made to look like a fool by the other teams coach.

Please explain to me how Holtmann was making Wojo look like a fool. I'm not saying you are wrong, but please show your work.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 04:53:04 PM »
I'm frustrated.  I've let several losses go by also w/o saying anything, and until today, I've advocated and defended Wojo.   But today's game was egregiously bad coaching.    So where am I wrong?

Yawn... not interested in trolls today.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »
Point taken.

Oh phew, we can finally see Wojo's offense beginning to take shape in the 18th game of the season. How reassuring. How's that for evaluating his coaching abilities?

You didn't see his offense against Vanderbilt? We've been a top 20 offense all season. If you are just seeing his offense now than your evaluating skills are questionable.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »
Yawn... not interested in trolls today.

+1
Fear makes you dumb.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »
Our defense has sucked all year. Hasn't improved much at all. Someone is to blame, either coaches or players. This is college ball and thus I think the blame goes to the coaches

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 05:17:32 PM »
completely agree, i think we are still 2 years away from a tournament birth. However, we can finally see what it is that wojo wants to build, at least offensively.

or 3 years away, maybe 4, for sure 5...........

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2017, 05:26:47 PM »
More Duane Wilson. He can at least guard on the perimeter and could have slowed down the parade of lay-ups. Butler absolutely abused Rowsey in the 2nd half and Howard didn't fair much better. Wilson isn't going to be confused for a defensive stopper...well, unless you compare him to Rowsey.
But wait...the other day I heard the FS1 color guy say that wilson is one of the better defenders in BEast. Do agree that Rowsey is a big proponent of the ole' defense.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 05:36:46 PM »
I wonder, did Wojo study how to coach defense under Coach K, or Paul Westhead?   Just go zone all the time, even a crappy coach's team can't screw up a zone too bad.  Not to the tune of 70% defensive FG% for a half.
Do not have enough length to go zone all the time. Will have more trouble rebounding and good shooters will feast over our small guards. Good for change of pace but not primary D for this team.
Goal is National Championship