[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hinkle Hankies  (Read 7230 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Hinkle Hankies
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »
Why didn't we play some zone in the second half when they were basically running layup drills on us?  I know Wojo is not a huge fan but we saw it last year and sporadically this year.  That at least allows us to defend the paint a bit more and protect the guys in foul trouble.  Yes, it exposes us on the glass but we couldn't have done much worse in that department.

I think we avoid zone for a few reasons, but I think it's largely because we don't have the length to run a zone. Effective zones are usually those teams where you've got 4-5 athletic players that are 6'6" or bigger (and usually 6'7"-6'9" on the wings). Butler was killing us on the offensive glass, going zone would have made that even worse.

Wojo tried to adjust by going with a smaller, quicker lineup when he put Sam at the 5, but when you go small like that and are getting called for every little slap foul, you don't really have a chance.

Personally, I still think the adjustment we needed was to attack Butler inside more, try to draw fouls ourselves. JJ made two FTs to open the half, then for the next 17 minutes Butler's attack mindset gave them a 14-4 edge in free throw attempts until Markus hit two with less than 2:00 to play. During that time period, we did the following:

4/15 on jump shots.
7/10 on lay-ups.

Butler was killing it inside during that period, not only going 8/12 on layups but also getting to the line 8 times while we only got their twice. We stopped hitting jump shots and didn't do enough to get the ball inside.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
I think we avoid zone for a few reasons, but I think it's largely because we don't have the length to run a zone. Effective zones are usually those teams where you've got 4-5 athletic players that are 6'6" or bigger (and usually 6'7"-6'9" on the wings). Butler was killing us on the offensive glass, going zone would have made that even worse.

Wojo tried to adjust by going with a smaller, quicker lineup when he put Sam at the 5, but when you go small like that and are getting called for every little slap foul, you don't really have a chance.

Personally, I still think the adjustment we needed was to attack Butler inside more, try to draw fouls ourselves. JJ made two FTs to open the half, then for the next 17 minutes Butler's attack mindset gave them a 14-4 edge in free throw attempts until Markus hit two with less than 2:00 to play. During that time period, we did the following:

4/15 on jump shots.
7/10 on lay-ups.

Butler was killing it inside during that period, not only going 8/12 on layups but also getting to the line 8 times while we only got their twice. We stopped hitting jump shots and didn't do enough to get the ball inside.

I will say this, the disparity of foul call "types" between the 1st half and 2nd half was breathtaking and why the NCAA can be unwatchable at times.

Yes Butler changed how they attacked in the 2nd but there are clearly demonstrable examples where the same action resulted in a foul in the 2nd half that was not called in the 1st. Marquette showed their immaturity by not adjusting to that.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2017, 11:38:10 AM »
I will say this, the disparity of foul call "types" between the 1st half and 2nd half was breathtaking and why the NCAA can be unwatchable at times.

Yes Butler changed how they attacked in the 2nd but there are clearly demonstrable examples where the same action resulted in a foul in the 2nd half that was not called in the 1st. Marquette showed their immaturity by not adjusting to that.

I'm hesitant to complain too much about the refs. This game really reminded me of the National Championship between Duke and Wisconsin in this regard. In the second, the refs called it tighter and Duke adjusted by cramming Grayson Allen drives down their throats. Wisconsin fans cried foul (literally) and blamed the refs but the simple truth is Bo never reacted until the press conference, when he blamed everyone but himself.

When the calls tighten up, you need to be ready to adjust. I don't know why the style changed, but I mentioned early on in the half that a tightly called game really benefits Butler.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
Program has just fallen so far. sad. No one expects to win or cares anymore. everyones like welp we lost, we were supposed to on to the next one. we used to not just accept and be ok with L after L. and people are even saying don't panic if we lose 3 staright? what kind of garbage is that. What even is Marquette basketball anymore. weve lost ourselves.

You're right. You are owed so much more.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
You're right. You are owed so much more.

Heh, that bring up an interesting point. People do make it seem like we are "owed" something for being a fan when really, all it is, is a bunch of amateur players that work their ass off, we aren't owed squat. Hell, I dont think anyone on this site still attends Marquette, I may be the most recent person and I havent paid tuition in two years now.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2017, 12:52:09 PM »
I'm hesitant to complain too much about the refs. This game really reminded me of the National Championship between Duke and Wisconsin in this regard. In the second, the refs called it tighter and Duke adjusted by cramming Grayson Allen drives down their throats. Wisconsin fans cried foul (literally) and blamed the refs but the simple truth is Bo never reacted until the press conference, when he blamed everyone but himself.

When the calls tighten up, you need to be ready to adjust. I don't know why the style changed, but I mentioned early on in the half that a tightly called game really benefits Butler.

I don't disagree at all really. I was trying to make two separate points: 1. the officiating got bad and generally is pretty bad in the NCAA and 2. The team wasn't mature enough to handle that reality.

I hate the officiating but it certainly isn't why we lost.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."