Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hinkle Hankies  (Read 7236 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Re: Hinkle Hankies
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 01:46:49 PM »
Program has just fallen so far. sad. No one expects to win or cares anymore. everyones like welp we lost, we were supposed to on to the next one. we used to not just accept and be ok with L after L. and people are even saying don't panic if we lose 3 staright? what kind of garbage is that. What even is Marquette basketball anymore. weve lost ourselves.

I love Marquette...I always will love MU and this loss ruins my day...But a couple of years out of the tournament and what is more than likely going to be an NIT this year (after having a coach leave the cupboard bare for Wojo) is not to be unexpected.

We are not Kentucky, Duke, Kansas....We have won 1 title in the last 40 years and gone to the final four a few times...We are going to have periods were we struggle and rebuild...Stop being dramatic

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »

So why does this happen?  Poor defense?  Passiveness on offense?

I think it's the counter adjustment. We get up and try to keep doing what we're doing. The opponent adjusts and we don't have an answer. Personally, this team unnerves me more with a big one than a small one.

I tweeted this just after the second half started: "While you'd think a 16-point halftime lead would be a lock, I'm not confident. Need to keep pushing at Butler, can't beat ourselves #mubb"

We settled too often for shots that were falling in the first, counted on turnovers that were no longer there, and basically did what we've done all season.

Wojo tried to adjust by going small, but we needed to attack the rim sooner and just didn't get enough makes to set the defense and stop the Butler layup and foul drawing show.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 01:56:29 PM »
Mo Watson just blew out his knee. Told McDermott "Im done, I heard it pop."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
I think it's the counter adjustment. We get up and try to keep doing what we're doing. The opponent adjusts and we don't have an answer. Personally, this team unnerves me more with a big one than a small one.

I tweeted this just after the second half started: "While you'd think a 16-point halftime lead would be a lock, I'm not confident. Need to keep pushing at Butler, can't beat ourselves #mubb"

We settled too often for shots that were falling in the first, counted on turnovers that were no longer there, and basically did what we've done all season.

Wojo tried to adjust by going small, but we needed to attack the rim sooner and just didn't get enough makes to set the defense and stop the Butler layup and foul drawing show.

That is still the main thing that concerns me about Wojo.  I have been saying that since his first year.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 02:01:19 PM »
There is no reason with the amount of resources, support and history that Marquette shouldn't be a top program in the Big East. Why, after four years now, the program is still middle of the pack at best, is frustrating and disappointing.

There's a lot of basketball left, but if the team cannot beat the top programs in the Big East, we aren't getting into the tournament, and if we aren't getting tournament appearances, there needs to be accountability and responsibility as to why we are going on four years without an appearance.

Unfortunately, MU was bad when the conference changed just like they were good when they joined the Big East.  When change happens a lot of recruits don't want to take the risk as it is their livelihood.  Coaches jump ship to see what else is out there as seen with Buzz, Stevens, etc.  Butler, Xavier, and Creighton came in good when the conference changed. 

MU now needs to prove they belong and can get better year over year.  Once the momentum starts to move in the right direction people hop on because they want to be part of a winner.  This is why Nova winning the NC was extremely important.  The Big East was able to show they could still compete and be the best.  The year prior the young conference flamed out early which didn't help.  That doesn't change overnight.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 02:12:14 PM »
Great offensive game, only seven MU turnovers.  Marquette now owns the best offense in conference.

Butler made the adjustment at half to drive the paint, just like Nova.  MU defense broke down on 70% 2nd half fg% by Butler and the Bull Dogs also converted 21-26 free throws in the second stanza as a result.  MU now owns the second worse defense in conference.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:24:32 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »

So why does this happen?  Poor defense?  Passiveness on offense?

Good question.... on one hand, it is positive that we are able to give ourselves big leads, but on the other hand, it is somewhat troublesome that we cant keep them.  I watched about 10 min of the second half during lunch, and it seemed like the refs were putting Butler at the line on every possession.  On the offensive end, it seemed like there was not a lot of composure.  Oh well, onto the next.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »
I love Marquette...I always will love MU and this loss ruins my day...But a couple of years out of the tournament and what is more than likely going to be an NIT this year (after having a coach leave the cupboard bare for Wojo) is not to be unexpected.

We are not Kentucky, Duke, Kansas....We have won 1 title in the last 40 years and gone to the final four a few times...We are going to have periods were we struggle and rebuild...Stop being dramatic

+1. Well said.I fell basically the same way, but do agree that Wojo needs to get the D figured out. That 2nd half defense was god awful, and whenever it seemed decent, we fouled. Damn shame.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

source?

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 02:31:58 PM »
Why, after four years now, the program is still middle of the pack at best, is frustrating and disappointing.

Really? After 4 years of what? Wojo, who is currently in his 3rd year? Not even done with his 3rd, mind you, but right in the middle of it. Or maybe you are referring to March 30 of 2013, you know, when we were in the elite 8?  Has that even been 4 years yet? No? This place is a joke.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
This team seems to collectively panic when it starts to lose the lead/fall behind. Instead of staying in their game, moving the ball and finding the open shot, they rush things, force up shots quickly and make ticky tack fouls on both ends. The first half was some of the best basketball they've played on both ends this year. When it starts to slide they don't seem to know what to do so it slides fast. What do they need? Experienced players who know how to win.  Another year or two of maturity. Wojo is slowly replacing ok players with good players. Sam and Markus can be strong leaders on this team. Hard to be patient, but it's gonna happen.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 02:38:41 PM »
Mo Watson just blew out his knee. Told McDermott "Im done, I heard it pop."
Well, crap.  I hate to hear that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 02:47:27 PM »
Two biggest reasons this team blows big leads frequently:

1. We're shooters. When we're hot we're capable of big runs. When we cool off....

2. We're just not tough enough, mentally or physically. we need a JFB, a Crowder or a Vander.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »
Really? After 4 years of what? Wojo, who is currently in his 3rd year? Not even done with his 3rd, mind you, but right in the middle of it. Or maybe you are referring to March 30 of 2013, you know, when we were in the elite 8?  Has that even been 4 years yet? No? This place is a joke.

1. You don't have to be here. It is completely optional.

2. Other things happened during those four years. You probably should acknowledge that.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2017, 02:58:57 PM »
+1. Well said.I fell basically the same way, but do agree that Wojo needs to get the D figured out. That 2nd half defense was god awful, and whenever it seemed decent, we fouled. Damn shame.

Quick whistles didn't help, but to go from 25 to 68 points between the two halves is definitely a product of reduced effort on defense. ALSO being in the bonus with 10 to go, and them finally making shots...but mostly no ability to stop the drive without being called for a foul...Brutal to blow it that way,but most people should have known on the road against Butler....that first half was not going to repeat.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 03:03:05 PM »
Great offensive game, only seven MU turnovers.  Marquette now owns the best offense in conference.

Butler made the adjustment at half to drive the paint, just like Nova.  MU defense broke down on 70% 2nd half fg% by Butler and the Bull Dogs also converted 21-26 free throws in the second stanza as a result.  MU now owns the second worse defense in conference.

We have no answer for the "spread the floor and drive the basket offense." It also happened late in the Hall game too. I'm not sure why teams don't do it all of the time...

fjm

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »
We lost a game we were expected to lose.

On the other end, this could have been a W. we are still right where we thought we would be.

I honestly see the #5 or 6 team in the big east. We can score and keep close with everyone. Just can't close against the teams with experience and leadership.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
By the way Brew, good call on your pregame prediction. Nailed it.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 03:09:06 PM »
Either our second half adjustments are wrong or non-existent from the coaches ...OR the players do not execute the adjustments.  Who didn't know a Butler would pound it inside the second half and speed up the game?

So.... so far we are not a second half team against best quality teams.  Lots to learn. Can we?  Can we ratchet up executable defense?  We will see.  Tough way to lose.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »
Was interesting watching the second half while working out at MU.  As MU was blowing the lead, students watching were saying variations of "wow we suck," and when it was over, nobody seemed surprised or really cared about the result.

The interest in MU Bball on campus has to be at the lowest point in a number of years.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
I swear to God I'll pistol whip the next guy who says "adjustment" without naming specific game tactics and what they'd do differently with the current personnel.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2017, 03:28:48 PM »
Not often that you get to see a team hit its ceiling in the first half and then its floor in the second.

Defense in the second half is the obvious issue. The style of reffing doing a 360 at halftime certainly didn't help. It was called both ways but I don't understand why reffing is allowed to change that much between halves.

Even though the defense is obviously weaker, I think the 2nd half offense was the true issue. When opponents go on big runs, we stop running our offense and it becomes Markus and Reinhardt chucking threes or JJJ driving 3 on 1. JJJ is a tremendous passer but when we get down he never seems to make the kick out pass which makes us so dangerous. I appreciate him trying to take over the game but he needs to do it with his passing, not his driving.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
Shenanigans.    Again, Wojo's options as Butler is more aggressive getting to the rim, and the fouls mount.   
1.   Zone.   With Heldt in the middle.   
2.  Man.   With Heldt in the middle.   Hope he catches lightning in a bottle again like SHU. 
3. Go small, hope your guards can contain dribble and that your scorers can get hot again and outscore Butler.   
4.  Pressure a team that doesn't turn the ball over.   When your guards are already getting torched.   

Wojo chose 3.    It didn't work.    MU scored 39 points in the second half, but the defense was soooooooooooooooo bad.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »
I watched about 10 min of the second half during lunch, and it seemed like the refs were putting Butler at the line on every possession.  On the offensive end, it seemed like there was not a lot of composure.  Oh well, onto the next.

I'll talk more about adjustments. Here's the problem I saw. As mentioned, Butler adjusted by driving the lane more. The refs called a really tight second half, which sent them to the line a ton and got them easy points. This killed us for two reasons. First, we started missing shots, which allowed them to get run-outs in transition and made it easier to drive the lane because our defense wasn't set. Second, the tight calls from the refs kept them on the line, got our players into foul trouble, and cascaded so they were at the line early and often.

Everyone is complaining about the defense, and I'll agree that the players should have done better, but the adjustment the coaches needed to make wasn't on defense but on offense. We needed to follow Butler's lead and start driving. Force the refs to call the fouls both ways. Get to the line right along with them, and try to get easier shots than the threes that were no longer falling.

Start scoring, start getting the defense set, slow down Butler's offense, hold on to the lead. We did that eventually, but not until the last 4 minutes or so when we had already given up the lead and it was too late. Zone wouldn't have helped because we didn't have the length to disrupt them. Press wouldn't have helped because Butler already doesn't turn it over and we were gassed defensively as was, we don't have the depth at that point to try to start pressing a team that doesn't turn it over. Going small didn't help because we weren't making shots.

The problem wasn't the defense, it was the offense. Or rather, it was the failings of the offense that led to the failings of the defense. Getting the players to drive and staying aggressive is what the staff could have done differently instead of allowing the players to continue settling for jump shots.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
Gonna have a rare disagreement with you, brew.    The offense put up 39 in the second half.    Yes, there should have been more drives and fewer 3's.    But 39, with a 16 pt lead at halftime, should be enough.    The problem was on defense. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 03:40:01 PM »
Gonna have a rare disagreement with you, brew.    The offense put up 39 in the second half.    Yes, there should have been more drives and fewer 3's.    But 39, with a 16 pt lead at halftime, should be enough.    The problem was on defense.

I mentioned in another thread, the defense was where it ended, but the defensive failings started on the offensive end.

feedback