[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another Perspective on Luke  (Read 10602 times)

Class71

• All American
Re: Another Perspective on Luke
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2017, 06:09:17 PM »
Quote from: .msg889296#msg889296 date=1484609485
Amen.

OK lets assume we are holding Luke to an unreasonable standard. I think we also generally agree that our weak interior defense was a key cause for the loss. So now you are the coach what would you do to turn this into a win in our next meeting? Or do we just say they are just a better time so move on?

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »
Our offensive production is NOT an issue.

Our defense is

If our offense isn't the problem but our defense is shouldn't we then sub-out slump offense for better defense. If Luke's value add is offense and he isn't scoring points or getting offensive rebounds then shouldn't we try something new. Start Heldt, move to a small line up.

I try to be as objective as possible and not be negative on a player.  If Luke is our best option we should adjust expectations according and shouldn't rip into Wojo and the team.

For games with athletic big men, we should also go smaller.  In the midget days, Lazar played center. Maybe KR goes low or shift Hauser over.  That would be interesting to see people guard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
I'm not really all that convinced that Heldt is that much better of a defender. 

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »
Same. But i have to say heldt played well when he was in there today

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »
Where is the coaching?  We can't stop lAyups or bunnies.  Luke is awful on defense and not much on rebounding.  I blame the coaching.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »

For all the times I've heard the claim that Luke fouls at an incredible rate, it's odd to rarely hear about Heldt's huge fouling issue... down to 7.5/40 after yesterday
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
I cant wait to see how heldt and fisher play against Creighton's big men

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
That could be painful
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
For all the times I've heard the claim that Luke fouls at an incredible rate, it's odd to rarely hear about Heldt's huge fouling issue... down to 7.5/40 after yesterday

Not odd at all...Luke has only had 2 or fewer fouls in 3 games this season, while Heldt has had 2 or fewer fouls 13 times. People don't look at the per-minute numbers, they look at raw totals.

But your point is well made ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »
I wish we could hire Mac or Jim Chones or some other MU great big man to coach our bigs how to play defense. Obviously Fischer and Heldt are not being coached well.  Teams are reading the scouting reports that they should go to the rim because there is little resistance. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »
I wish we could hire Mac or Jim Chones or some other MU great big man to coach our bigs how to play defense. Obviously Fischer and Heldt are not being coached well.  Teams are reading the scouting reports that they should go to the rim because there is little resistance.

If only we could find a big man coach who had a track record of sending virtually every big man he worked with to the NBA...hmm...where could we find such a man?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Do you-know-what what would be even better than a couch  who sent a boatload  of bigs to the NBA?  One who did the same with the Olympic team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »
If only we could find a big man coach who had a track record of sending virtually every big man he worked with to the NBA...hmm...where could we find such a man?

In fairness, the big guys that Wojo "sent" to the NBA were probably headed for the Association if I was the coach. Did he coach them up or were they just really good?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
In fairness, the big guys that Wojo "sent" to the NBA were probably headed for the Association if I was the coach. Did he coach them up or were they just really good?

I think you give Josh McRoberts, Ryan Kelly and the Plumlees too much credit.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »
I think you give Josh McRoberts, Ryan Kelly and the Plumlees too much credit.

Outside of Mason Plumlee, a group of college underachievers who made it to the pros on natural ability, size and athleticism.

Mason also made it to the pros on those qualities, but he was a beast in college.

All highly rated recruits who were expected to be pros from the day they stepped on campus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »
Outside of Mason Plumlee, a group of college underachievers who made it to the pros on natural ability, size and athleticism.

Mason also made it to the pros on those qualities, but he was a beast in college.

All highly rated recruits who were expected to be pros from the day they stepped on campus.

Wojo only coaches the easy bigs.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2017, 02:54:26 PM »

That's nothing but BS excuses. Plenty of highly rated players coming out of high school never make it to the pros. Wojo had a solid reputation for keeping those guys on track and getting them to the next level. When it comes to having a proven track record of working with big men, there are few better in the country at this level. Now that said, as a head coach, he has a broader focus so that responsibility may not be all on him, but the fact remains we have a guy who has proven repeatedly over the years that he can effectively teach and train bigs to get them not just to elite NCAA level but also to play in the NBA.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
That's nothing but BS excuses. Plenty of highly rated players coming out of high school never make it to the pros. Wojo had a solid reputation for keeping those guys on track and getting them to the next level. When it comes to having a proven track record of working with big men, there are few better in the country at this level. Now that said, as a head coach, he has a broader focus so that responsibility may not be all on him, but the fact remains we have a guy who has proven repeatedly over the years that he can effectively teach and train bigs to get them not just to elite NCAA level but also to play in the NBA.

Fair enough, but relatively speaking he was playing with a bit of a stacked deck at Duke. Send enough top 30 big guys at a coach and some of em are bound to hit.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »
Reality is that So no was a scrappy guard not a big.  He obviously doesn't know how to coach bigs and has no one on staff capable of teaching bigs how to protect the rim. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
But he DID coach the bigs at Duke and for the Olympic team.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2017, 04:49:38 PM »
Reality is that So no was a scrappy guard not a big.  He obviously doesn't know how to coach bigs and has no one on staff capable of teaching bigs how to protect the rim.

First, who's "So no"? Second, Wojo was the big man coach for Duke and the US Olympic team. So your comment is the height of stupidity and ignorance. But thanks for playing.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2017, 05:15:43 PM »
Ok so Luke is not the problem it is the coach or Luke is the problem and the coaching is great. How about we skip all that and let the experts on this board explain in simple terms what Luke needs to do to defend the rim. Frankly with the offense on this team I do not care if he scores a point as long as he effectively protects the rim.

How about it experts give Luke and or Wojo the advise they need to win.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »
First, who's "So no"? Second, Wojo was the big man coach for Duke and the US Olympic team. So your comment is the height of stupidity and ignorance. But thanks for playing.
My phone changed "Wojo."  Your comment is bogus as per the awful defensive play of our bigs.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2017, 06:06:07 PM »
My phone changed "Wojo."  Your comment is bogus as per the awful defensive play of our bigs.

Uhh...no.

Wojciechowski's specialty at Duke was working with bigs. He was the big man coach from the time he was initially hired as a full assistant in 1999 until Jeff Capel joined the Duke bench in 2011. In his time there, here is the list of Duke forwards that were drafted to the NBA:

2000 Chris Carrawell
2001 Shane Battier
2002 Carlos Boozer & Mike Dunleavy
2003 Dahntay Jones
2004 Luol Deng
2006 Shelden Williams
2007 Josh McRoberts
2011 Kyle Singler

You don't have to like it, but the fact is that Wojo spent more than a decade as the big man coach at Duke before transitioning to guards his last three years there. He sent numerous bigs to the NBA and was credited with the development of these players.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2017, 06:27:35 PM »
So why the awful play of our bigs???  Teams drive at will on us.