[Today at 01:41:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: KenPom Today  (Read 11011 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: KenPom Today
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »
This. So long as MU takes care of business at home (8-1 record) and wins @ Depaul and one other road game out of @SJU, @ Georgetown, @ Providence, we're going to be in pretty decent shape going into selection sunday.
I'm not sure this team is capable of that, but I agree they would be in really good shape in this scenario.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 03:37:57 PM »
I admit I haven't gone through each conference and their respective bubble teams to add up the at larges, but moreso just going off of resumes in years past. From what I can see the B10 has 8 teams in right now, so I think they'll for sure get more than 4.

Top 5 in the Big East are better than the Top 5 in the B10.

So if B10 is sending 8 and the BE is only sending 4, Marquette (5th best BE team) would have been the worst snub in history.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
Top 5 in the Big East are better than the Top 5 in the B10.

So if B10 is sending 8 and the BE is only sending 4, Marquette (5th best BE team) would have been the worst snub in history.
I never said the B10 would for sure send 8. I said right now they look to have 8, BE w/ 5 (SHU not MU). While the B10 probably won't get 8 in, they will definitely get more than 4.

Ultimately my point is that the BE getting only 4 teams in, is a very real possibility.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 04:20:20 PM »
I never said the B10 would for sure send 8. I said right now they look to have 8, BE w/ 5 (SHU not MU). While the B10 probably won't get 8 in, they will definitely get more than 4.

Ultimately my point is that the BE getting only 4 teams in, is a very real possibility.

Real? Sure. But probably more likely 6 than 4, with 5 remaining the highest probability.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
Real? Sure. But probably more likely 6 than 4, with 5 remaining the highest probability.

Only 4 getting in could happen.

I watched loads of the games yesterday and yes we choked against Butler. But honestly 5th place is there if this team wants it.

But also so is 7th if we blow every lead ever.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »
Only 4 getting in could happen.

I watched loads of the games yesterday and yes we choked against Butler. But honestly 5th place is there if this team wants it.

But also so is 7th if we blow every lead ever.

Have to beat Providence for sure,  Hall going nowhere or GT.   St.  Johns if MU plays smart can beat them twice, but will not be easy.  Bunch of chuckers on that team,
so if they get hot, they could beat MU.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
You think 6 is more likely than 4?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 04:41:28 PM »
You think 6 is more likely than 4?

I do.

Something like:

4 - 5%
5 - 80%
6 - 15%

Getting 4 in would require teams like Georgetown to turn their season around enough to beat up on everyone but the top.  PC to get to 9 wins.  SHU to only win 6 more conference games when they still have SJU twice, @ Depaul and Providence left.  If the cookie crumbled perfectly, 4 is possible, but its unlikely IMO.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 05:23:39 PM »
On paper, assuming the Vegas line corresponds with Pomeroy (usually within a point or two) then Seton Hall would only be favored in 5 of their remaining games. St. John's twice, Providence at home, DePaul on the road, Georgetown at home. Losing at the Dunk really hurt them. To their credit, 7 of their remaining 12 are at home, so they will have the chance to make home court pay off, but after SJU on Sunday, they really need to get going.

At this point, I'd break it down like this:

5: 60%
4: 30%
6: 10%

For Marquette and Seton Hall to both get in will require both of them to get hot. I'm just not convinced both teams will do that. Creighton will also be interesting. How much will they fall off without Watson. I think at worst they go 10-8 in conference, but if they're 9-9 and in a freefall since he went out of the lineup, might that cost them a bid? They've probably done enough already to be a lock, but it's early enough that a precipitous fall could hurt Creighton's chances (though hard to believe one of Marquette or Seton Hall wouldn't capitalize on that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 05:48:51 PM »
I do.

Something like:

4 - 5%
5 - 80%
6 - 15%

Getting 4 in would require teams like Georgetown to turn their season around enough to beat up on everyone but the top.  PC to get to 9 wins.  SHU to only win 6 more conference games when they still have SJU twice, @ Depaul and Providence left.  If the cookie crumbled perfectly, 4 is possible, but its unlikely IMO.

Why would PC need to get 9 wins?

If PC, Georgetown, and St John's (and DePaul I guess) win some games against MU and SHU, they could force 9-9 and 8-10 respectively. Which would lead to an interesting selection Sunday.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »

If PC, Georgetown, and St John's (and DePaul I guess) win some games against MU and SHU, they could force 9-9 and 8-10 respectively. Which would lead to an interesting selection Sunday.

9-9 and 8-10 would only be interesting if you're waiting for the NIT Selection Show. Neither MU nor SHU would be dancing.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »
I'm not sold on Xavier at all...calling them a "lock" at this point?? I'm not convinced..they very well could finish below .500 in the BE.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »
I'm not sold on Xavier at all...calling them a "lock" at this point?? I'm not convinced..they very well could finish below .500 in the BE.
I see the concerns with Xavier, but under .500? Not sure I'd go that far

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 06:07:09 PM »
You're right that may be a stretch, but i'm not convinced they will finish 4th..in fact, I could see MU beating them twice and ultimately finishing ahead of them, wherever that may be in the standings.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »
You're right that may be a stretch, but i'm not convinced they will finish 4th..in fact, I could see MU beating them twice and ultimately finishing ahead of them, wherever that may be in the standings.

We don't match up well with Xavier at all. Big, muscular guards, Beating them in Cincy will be near impossible, and at home is no picnic either.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 08:24:33 PM »
9-9 and 8-10 would only be interesting if you're waiting for the NIT Selection Show. Neither MU nor SHU would be dancing.

I bet SHU is one of final teams in if they go 9-9. They had a pretty decent non conference. Wins over South Carolina, @ Iowa and Cal (N). Losses to Florida (in Fl) and Stanford (n). All conference losses on the road. They definitely have a chance if they go 9-9, and frankly, aren't in that bad of shape. A 3 game losing streak looks rough, but they've already played 4 road games included @ Nova and @ Creighton. I think they're actually in fine shape, even though their loss @ Nova was UGLY.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
I bet SHU is one of final teams in if they go 9-9. They had a pretty decent non conference. Wins over South Carolina, @ Iowa and Cal (N). Losses to Florida (in Fl) and Stanford (n). All conference losses on the road. They definitely have a chance if they go 9-9, and frankly, aren't in that bad of shape. A 3 game losing streak looks rough, but they've already played 4 road games included @ Nova and @ Creighton. I think they're actually in fine shape, even though their loss @ Nova was UGLY.

I think they slip in at 9-9, but LAZER's respectively specifically referenced SHU going 8-10. I don't think they get in at 8-10. I think us at 9-9 and them at 8-10 would lead to two Big East teams being highly seeded in the NIT.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 08:32:51 PM »

Cause for things to get bunched up around .500 someone has to win the games. I tend to think Depaul won't win more than 1 more game and SJU will struggle to double their current BE win total. PC doesn't need to win 9 games, but for MU and SHU to lose enough games to finish .500 or under, someone's gonna pick the the slack for the 5th slot.

As for the Mo Watson-less Creighton, they're in great shape. They could go 4-8 and still get in, and I highly doubt that happens.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »
I think they slip in at 9-9, but LAZER's respectively specifically referenced SHU going 8-10. I don't think they get in at 8-10. I think us at 9-9 and them at 8-10 would lead to two Big East teams being highly seeded in the NIT.

Agreed there. Your post could be read either way, but see what you were meaning to say. We're on the same page. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »
Cause for things to get bunched up around .500 someone has to win the games. I tend to think Depaul won't win more than 1 more game and SJU will struggle to double their current BE win total. PC doesn't need to win 9 games, but for MU and SHU to lose enough games to finish .500 or under, someone's gonna pick the the slack for the 5th slot.

As for the Mo Watson-less Creighton, they're in great shape. They could go 4-8 and still get in, and I highly doubt that happens.

They certainly would be interesting if they did. I doubt that happens either, but if the NCAA is going to seed them based on being without Watson and their only full game wins without him are St. John's, Providence, and DePaul twice, would that warrant inclusion?

Certainly they are a tourney team, and a high-seeded one with him, but Marquette dropped from probably a 2-seed with James to a 6 without him. What if we had lost James a month earlier? Are we still a tourney team? That might be what Creighton goes through.

Now I agree that they likely won't go 4-8, but if they do, they will be a very, very interesting team come Selection Sunday.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
They certainly would be interesting if they did. I doubt that happens either, but if the NCAA is going to seed them based on being without Watson and their only full game wins without him are St. John's, Providence, and DePaul twice, would that warrant inclusion?

Certainly they are a tourney team, and a high-seeded one with him, but Marquette dropped from probably a 2-seed with James to a 6 without him. What if we had lost James a month earlier? Are we still a tourney team? That might be what Creighton goes through.

Now I agree that they likely won't go 4-8, but if they do, they will be a very, very interesting team come Selection Sunday.

This is exactly what I thought of when I heard about Watson's injury.  Top ten team, lots of potential, this is "the" year only to lose your senior leader at PG.  We absolutely tanked after DJ went out (was Utah St the only win without him?) and it would be sad to see the same happen to Creighton.  They won't be a top two seed in March, but they have more time to turn things around and prove they can succeed without Watson.  We didn't really have that chance with the end of season schedule after James' injury.

That said, I wouldn't be terribly upset if Creighton struggled emotionally and basketball-ly in their first game without Watson...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »
Xavier will finish under .500, if MU beats them twice.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »

Providence lost to DePaul. That loss is going to bite them just like it did to MU last year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 10:27:35 PM »
This is exactly what I thought of when I heard about Watson's injury.  Top ten team, lots of potential, this is "the" year only to lose your senior leader at PG.  We absolutely tanked after DJ went out (was Utah St the only win without him?) and it would be sad to see the same happen to Creighton.  They won't be a top two seed in March, but they have more time to turn things around and prove they can succeed without Watson.  We didn't really have that chance with the end of season schedule after James' injury.

That said, I wouldn't be terribly upset if Creighton struggled emotionally and basketball-ly in their first game without Watson...

We crushed SJU in the BET but that was nothing to write home about.

Lost by 4 @Lousiville, Lost in OT to Cuse, Lost by 1 to Nova in the BET. All ranked teams that we nearly beat without James. Good chance we win at least two more in the regular season (argument for winning against UConn too). Probably would have had a shot at the BET title. Lots of what ifs in that game.

Creighton, we feel your pain.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »

Agreed...and if they had a relapse on the last day of regular season play I also wouldn't complain ;)

And agreed completely with TAMU on winning 2-3 in the regular season. We lost that UConn game because AJ Price took Mo Acker's defense apart. With James, at home, I think we win that (as well as Louisville and Syracuse).

feedback