'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: KenPom Today  (Read 10988 times)

The Lens

• All American
KenPom Today
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:40:50 PM »
We did so well vs DePaul that KenPom moved us back to 10-8 in conf. 

I believe the change was the Xavier game in MKE, now a win.

It's one thing to beat DePaul, it's another to do so as efficiently & convincingly as we did. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUBigDance

• All American
Re: KenPom Today
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:48:08 PM »
I think that's right. We beat X here.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:16:37 PM »
The Pomeroy model isn't based on individual results but rather the aggregate percentage over the course of the season. I believe before DePaul, we were at 7.49 projected wins. With DePaul as 93%, almost any win would have pushed us over the threshold to get us to the 6.51 that would now approximate us at 10 total wins.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:04:32 AM »
I think that's right. We beat X here.

Of course we will. I will be at that game.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »

Of course we will. I will be at that game.
Yo, we'll be at the game!
Goal is National Championship

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 01:19:22 PM »
Does MU match up well with Xavier?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
Does MU match up well with Xavier?

X doesn't have much a low post game so in that regard yes.

Their guards will have size and strength on ours but they are absolutely beatable especially at home
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brandx

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »
X doesn't have much a low post game so in that regard yes.

Their guards will have size and strength on ours but they are absolutely beatable especially at home

Their strength is being overlooked here. They will be very hard to beat - especially at home.

Agreed. They have lost 4 games - 2 were to teams that have been ranked #1 this year when they were without their best 3-point shooter. Another was at Butler. I think they match up very well with us.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
We'll see how Xavier plays without Davis, but they are definitely a team we can exploit. Their 2PFG% defense is terrible and their bigs are not near as good as last year. Pour the ball in to Luke and let him go to work, then when they come with the double, work it back outside and rain threes. Their bigs also like to foul, so I'd give it to Luke early and often. Make them stop him.

They don't take a ton of threes and aren't very good at making them, so the more we can pressure them with made threes the more we can dictate the flow of the game. XU is tough at home, and I doubt we'll win there, but we should have a hell of a crowd for the home game and I think they are very beatable. Let's not forget, we had them on the ropes for most of the game at Cintas last year before they pulled away late. We play them with a better squad this year and they have definitely taken a step back.

I'm expecting to split with them.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »
We'll see how Xavier plays without Davis, but they are definitely a team we can exploit. Their 2PFG% defense is terrible and their bigs are not near as good as last year. Pour the ball in to Luke and let him go to work, then when they come with the double, work it back outside and rain threes. Their bigs also like to foul, so I'd give it to Luke early and often. Make them stop him.

They don't take a ton of threes and aren't very good at making them, so the more we can pressure them with made threes the more we can dictate the flow of the game. XU is tough at home, and I doubt we'll win there, but we should have a hell of a crowd for the home game and I think they are very beatable. Let's not forget, we had them on the ropes for most of the game at Cintas last year before they pulled away late. We play them with a better squad this year and they have definitely taken a step back.

I am expecting to beat them.  Twice.

brandx

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »

Davis has been back the last couple games.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »
Davis has been back the last couple games.

That's an odd autocorrect...should've said with.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »
Based on ESPN bracketology which was updated today, Joe Lunardi has MU as a last 4 out team along with Rhode Island, Georgia, and Kansas State. Last 4 in were Michigan, Seton hall, texas tech and Wichita State

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »
Based on ESPN bracketology which was updated today, Joe Lunardi has MU as a last 4 out team along with Rhode Island, Georgia, and Kansas State. Last 4 in were Michigan, Seton hall, texas tech and Wichita State
I will be very surprised, if Seton Hall makes the tournament. They are great at rebounding, but not very good otherwise.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »

And to think, we lost to two of those teams.  We just need ONE win over a team "better than us" and I feel like we'd be in really good shape.  Maybe knocking off a top ten team at their house on Saturday would do the trick.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »
I will be very surprised, if Seton Hall makes the tournament. They are great at rebounding, but not very good otherwise.

Get ready to be surprised.  Barring a great run from Providence, the 5th and 6th spots are pretty much MU and SHU's for the taking.  Big East is getting at last 5 teams in, and wouldn't be surprised if it is 6.

And to think, we lost to two of those teams.  We just need ONE win over a team "better than us" and I feel like we'd be in really good shape.  Maybe knocking off a top ten team at their house on Saturday would do the trick.

Pittsburgh is also in the "last 4 byes" category.   
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:26:24 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »
Get ready to be surprised.  Barring a great run from Providence, the 5th and 6th spots are pretty much MU and SHU's for the taking.  Big East is getting at last 5 teams in, and wouldn't be surprised if it is 6.

Pittsburgh is also in the "last 4 byes" category.
I wouldn't just assume the BE gets in 5 or 6. MU or SH could easily be in the 5th spot with a 9-9 record and few quality wins.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »
I wouldn't just assume the BE gets in 5 or 6. MU or SH could easily be in the 5th spot with a 9-9 record and few quality wins.

SHU probably gets in at 9-9.  They had a better non-con than MU.  MU needs 10, or 9 and a trip to BET final.

I suppose its possible that MU goes 9-9, SHU goes 8-10.  Maybe PC goes 9-9, GT gets hot and gets to 7 or 8 wins, and all miss out.  But I think that is pretty unlikely. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:51:48 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »

The Big East could easily get 6 in if Marquette and SHU are sitting at 11-7 and 10-8, respectively. Would be almost impossible to keep them out. However, fewer than that and they'll be on the bubble, and if it's MU at 9-9 and SHU at 8-10 (which is what Pomeroy currently projects) the Big East might only get 4 bids. Those top-4 may be locks, but after that, no one is assured anything.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »
The Big East could easily get 6 in if Marquette and SHU are sitting at 11-7 and 10-8, respectively. Would be almost impossible to keep them out. However, fewer than that and they'll be on the bubble, and if it's MU at 9-9 and SHU at 8-10 (which is what Pomeroy currently projects) the Big East might only get 4 bids. Those top-4 may be locks, but after that, no one is assured anything.
Exactly, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the BE with only 4 bids, especially the way MU & SHU are trending.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Exactly, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the BE with only 4 bids, especially the way MU & SHU are trending.

Which way are we trending? Home wins over Georgetown, DePaul, and Seton Hall and road losses to Villanova, Seton Hall, and Butler are exactly what we were expected to do. We're shooting par so far.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 02:57:35 PM »
Which way are we trending? Home wins over Georgetown, DePaul, and Seton Hall and road losses to Villanova, Seton Hall, and Butler are exactly what we were expected to do. We're shooting par so far.

This. So long as MU takes care of business at home (8-1 record) and wins @ Depaul and one other road game out of @SJU, @ Georgetown, @ Providence, we're going to be in pretty decent shape going into selection sunday.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 03:02:51 PM »

Have you looked at other conferences? If that's your look at the way things are 'trending', the B10 is only sending 4 teams, Northwestern being one.

CRAZY

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »
I'd say MU is trending towards a 9-9 conference record, with not much going for them in OOC too.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Have you looked at other conferences? If that's your look at the way things are 'trending', the B10 is only sending 4 teams, Northwestern being one.

CRAZY
I admit I haven't gone through each conference and their respective bubble teams to add up the at larges, but moreso just going off of resumes in years past. From what I can see the B10 has 8 teams in right now, so I think they'll for sure get more than 4.