[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Now the gauntlet.  (Read 9179 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: Now the gauntlet.
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »
Getting tired reading these kinds of comments. You're totally not mad, you're just mad at others for being mad.

It must have been pretty frustrating to attend MU, being so much smarter and more rational than your peers.

I definitely don't think I'm smarter than any on this board when it comes to basketball.

I am probably annoyed with the posts that occur after a loss. Any loss.
When we lose there are some that immediately want Wojo to be fired, someone even made a thread about JJJ and Fisch not graduating soon enough.

Not trying to troll or upset anyone. I'm just saying, I hope we win them all! But some on here will be irrational if MU can only squeak one win out.

Sorry if I bothered anyone with that post.

And I personally think we steal 1 of the 3.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
Listen, coming off two encouraging wins (gutting out a W when it looked like we would give it away and then taking care of business in a game we should take care of business of) I'm optimistic of stealing one. Losing all three could be fine, but just because we are expected to lose doesn't give anyone a free pass for anonymous internet message board criticism. If we hang tough, keep it close, take good shots, keep improving on D and lose all 3 that's fine - we're well positioned for the run we need to make. If we don't show up, blow leads via boneheaded play, or fail to make adjustments then there's certainly legitimate cause for concern.

I'm hopeful it will be the former and we steal one (or even two - I think 'Nova at home with a rocking atmosphere and some hot shooting could be a W). We have 4/5 guys that could explode on any given night and a few guys who are starting to become solid role players. If we can keep our focus and we get lucky with shots falling we should have a chance in ANY game.

I want to believe. Win one of these Wojo and I think you'll grab a few new converts.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
I don't think we will go 0-3.  I think we have a great shot to beat Butler at their place tomorrow.

Anyone interested in seeing MU best Butler should turn on FS1 right now. The women are playing and off to a good start.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
I don't think we will go 0-3.  I think we have a great shot to beat Butler at their place tomorrow.

It's MLK day...We Shall Overcome!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »
Anyone interested in seeing MU best Butler should turn on FS1 right now. The women are playing and off to a good start.

Go for the sweep tomorrow! Women's team looked good. Play fast and fun to watch. Not UConn caliber but good enough to compete with DePaul. Thinking about going to see their game against DePaul next Saturday.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
We'll probably be around a 9 point dog to Butler, a 10 point dog to Creighton and a 4.5 point dog at home vs Nova. Money lines will be approx 4-1, 4-1 and 2.80 -1. So we have an 80% chance to lose game 1 and 2 and around a 70% chance to lose game 3. Chance we lose all 3 = .8 x .8 x .7 (44.8%). Chance we win all 3 = .2 x .2 x .3 (1.2%) Win 2 = approx 4.5% Win 1 = approx 49.5%.
I just saw +8 for tomorrow....nice call!  O/U was NA. 

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »
At 3-5 in the league, MU would likely need to go 7-3 over its last 10 to be in the conversation for the tournament. Worth noting that presently, Barttorvik has exactly that record (losing the next three, at Xavier and Georgetown, and Butler at home. The Butler and Georgetown games are essentially tossups with MU the underdog by less than a point).

That would put MU at 19-11 heading into the Garden. In that event, RPIForecast says MU would likely have an RPI of 53.3. If MU can steal even one game "that it's not supposed to win," the projected RPI drops to 42.7. A 20-win Big East team with an RPI in the low 40s should feel good about their chances heading into the Garden.

“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 08:55:20 AM »
Listen, coming off two encouraging wins (gutting out a W when it looked like we would give it away and then taking care of business in a game we should take care of business of) I'm optimistic of stealing one. Losing all three could be fine, but just because we are expected to lose doesn't give anyone a free pass for anonymous internet message board criticism. If we hang tough, keep it close, take good shots, keep improving on D and lose all 3 that's fine - we're well positioned for the run we need to make. If we don't show up, blow leads via boneheaded play, or fail to make adjustments then there's certainly legitimate cause for concern.

I'm hopeful it will be the former and we steal one (or even two - I think 'Nova at home with a rocking atmosphere and some hot shooting could be a W). We have 4/5 guys that could explode on any given night and a few guys who are starting to become solid role players. If we can keep our focus and we get lucky with shots falling we should have a chance in ANY game.

I want to believe. Win one of these Wojo and I think you'll grab a few new converts.

Nailed it

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »
MU is in 4th place in the Big East.  Run the gauntlet and we are in first. Lose all three and maybe 7th worst case.  Let's run the table for once--and we are capable of it.  Al Davis has it right:  Just win, baby...screw the participation ribbons and rebuild talk!

I hate participation ribbons. Would never support my team getting them unless they won. However, I wouldn't put them in front of the firing squad if they lose a game that they were expected to win.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »
I hate participation ribbons. Would never support my team getting them unless they won. However, I wouldn't put them in front of the firing squad if they lose a game that they were expected to win.

This team has more Top 100 recruits (or did at season's start) than any team in the Big East. It has a strong core of experienced upperclassmen with three strong underclassmen starting. It can shoot lights out. Three players been on a All Big East team

Now, is the roster a bit mishapened? Is the coach the youngest in the Big East? Is our frontline depth short? Is team continuity an issue? Can the team defense be better?  Yes.

What is wrong with high expectations, which the team is capable of?  I am pretty sure Wojo isn't worried about a message board meltdown...or already explaining future losses. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »
This team has more Top 100 recruits (or did at season's start) than any team in the Big East. It has a strong core of experienced upperclassmen with three strong underclassmen starting. It can shoot lights out. Three players been on a All Big East team

Now, is the roster a bit mishapened? Is the coach the youngest in the Big East? Is our frontline depth short? Is team continuity an issue? Can the team defense be better?  Yes.

What is wrong with high expectations, which the team is capable of?  I am pretty sure Wojo isn't worried about a message board meltdown...or already explaining future losses.

I don't care about top 100 prospects but that's besides the point.

You can have whatever expectations you want. And you can respond to the results of the game in whatever way you want. All I said is that I personally will not be handing out any participation ribbons or trips to the firing squad based on the results of this game.
TAMU

1SE

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 03:56:46 PM »

Uuggh.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

fjm

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »
Game less than 24 hours from now.
I'm really hoping for a W, which would be great!
But also trying to remember that most if not all MU fans figured we would be 3-5 or even 2-6 after This Tuesday night. Anything better is gravy.

Now granted we could have another one or even two conference wins at this point, we are ontop of our projection and even sitting better than most thought, currently 5th.

Keep plugging along team! And keep being positive Scoop! (Even though I'm taking that butler game a bit hard...)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
Keep plugging along team! And keep being positive Scoop! (Even though I'm taking that butler game a bit hard...)

Yep,  Very Easy to be Positive when we're Winning, much harder when we're not.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »
We're still on schedule, obviously stealing at least one win out of the Butler, Creighton, Nova three would put us ahead of schedule...but we're in the hunt.

Keep the faith.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »
Preseason I said we would lose three non conference games, start conference play 2-6 and then finish 8-2 for a 10-8 conference record. We are slightly ahead of that right now. Still have a very good shot at the tourney.

Tomorrow is a huge opportunity. While I don't expect a win, this is about the best chance I would ever give us at winning a road game against a top ten team.
TAMU

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »
It's nice to hear some people are thinking positively about tomorrow but no one should expect or be upset with a loss. Creighton is a Final Four contender and is a far better team this year than MU, even with Watson out. Unless a miracle happens we'll take an expected loss and it means very little about this season.

It's that other "gauntlet" starting next Saturday of eight straight eminently winnable games--Prov, @SJU, @DePaul, Butler, @Gtown, Xavier, SJU, and @Prov--that will define this season. So my theory is: stay healthy, work out some of the problem areas in these next two games (to the extent that's possible),and be ready to kill it during that eight-game stretch.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »
Preseason I said we would lose three non conference games, start conference play 2-6 and then finish 8-2 for a 10-8 conference record. We are slightly ahead of that right now. Still have a very good shot at the tourney.

Tomorrow is a huge opportunity. While I don't expect a win, this is about the best chance I would ever give us at winning a road game against a top ten team.
I am afraid that Creighton is going to come out on fire and ride a huge surge of emotion (both the players and their crowd) to a big win.  Hope I am wrong, but I don't think this is going to be particularly close.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 04:39:04 PM »
I am afraid that Creighton is going to come out on fire and ride a huge surge of emotion (both the players and their crowd) to a big win.  Hope I am wrong, but I don't think this is going to be particularly close.
Why can't we beat these mid majors who hardly deserve being in our league. Back in Al's day we owned Creighton
 And McDermott comes no where close to the pedigree of Wojohowdyski.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 04:54:14 PM »
Teal, right?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »

Kenpom had Creighton by 9 WITH Watson. You're underselling us. We probably will lose, but it's gonna be a fight. Creighton is not all the great on defense so we will score points, we just need to hope their offense doesn't run smoothly in their first game without MW and we can pull off the upset.

If I had to guess, I'd say CU by 3

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »
Kenpom had Creighton by 9 WITH Watson. You're underselling us. We probably will lose, but it's gonna be a fight. Creighton is not all the great on defense so we will score points, we just need to hope their offense doesn't run smoothly in their first game without MW and we can pull off the upset.

If I had to guess, I'd say CU by 3

Ha. I wish you were setting the lines and not Vegas.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »
Myles Davis has officially left Xavier, he killed us the past couple years. X at home looks very winnable if you can contain at least one of Sumner and Bluiett.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
Ha. I wish you were setting the lines and not Vegas.
i show MU +5.5.  honestly seems like a suckers bet (not in a good way)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »
i show MU +5.5.  honestly seems like a suckers bet (not in a good way)

Vegas is usually spot on, and I know they place their line based on betting trends, but the worst line I ever saw was when Iowa was +1 last year at MU. Only time I ever bet against Marquette and the easiest money I've ever made.